Detroit Zoo could go to regional authority

Mar 28, 2008 | Posted by: jimcarravallah | Full story: www.dailytribune.com

Legislation signed by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm would allow establishment of a regional zoo authority to fund operations at the Detroit zoo.

The zoo had become a drain on a shrinking city budget and was moved to a non-profit operation to keep it open with fees minimizing impact on Detroit's tax base. The regional authority would be able to propose property taxes over a wider area to stabilize the the zoo budget.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
chuckiedee_53

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

good maybe the zoo will be as it was years ago
Hooper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Judged:

Good. No one in Detroit gives a flying F. about a damn zoo. It's in Royal Oak. So, let white suburbanites pay for it.
jenkins

Washington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

forget Detroit.. let the suburbs take care of it.. rename it Oakland Zoo.
Suburbanite

Royal Oak, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

quote: Good. No one in Detroit gives a flying F. about a damn zoo. It's in Royal Oak. So, let white suburbanites pay for it.

I was under the impression Detroit and all suburbs have ethnic groups of all nationalities? What does color have to do with this question?

“Hear a howl? 'Tis I.”

Since: Jul 07

Motown, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2008

Whatever it takes to keep the Zoo open. Generations of people have been going to it. It would be a shame to lose it over fiduciary concerns.
Imagine

Houghton Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2008

The best part of the Detroit Zoo is the fact it is not in Detroit!

Anything the Detroit leadership or its residents gets its grubby hands on, they destroy.

I saw pictures the other day of Detroit back in the 40's/50's and it was a great place to be. It was a true American city. People worked hard, people made an effort, and people pitched in to make it what it was. Well times change and those people were forced out or murdered by the subsequent occupants of the city.

Coleman A Young started the downward spiral for the city and the zoo. He was a crook and everyone new it, and the zoo never fully recovered.
Let L. Brooks Paterson run the zoo, then you would see some real change.

I never thought I would see it in my lifetime, but Kwame actually made Detroit worse than it was.

Way to go Detroit, maybe you ignoramuses will vote him in again, or better yet I hear Coleman Jr.(the illegitimate son) of the thankfully dead Coleman Young, may run. Yeah then you will be doing more better good!

Detroit you can have your Belle Isle Zoo, and leave the Oakland Zoo to people who appreciate something nice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Huntington Woods Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Huntington Woods People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance