Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Lies never win”

Since: Dec 12

Huntington, Texas

#1 Jan 4, 2013
When will everyone's eyes be opened to this. You do not have adequate fire protection at this time due to the Chief having to keep his title as chief, so he "fire" all the members and only brought back a very few that was going to vote for him. There was only 3 fire members from Huntington on that house fire the other night and yet no one is complaining. Yes it is volunteer, but I do believe there would have been a better response of people to that fire, from the Huntington area, if they would have called more than a selected few back to the department. I feel bad for the 1 fire fighter that had to fight that fire basically be himself until Central members could get there to give him help and relief. A pregnant woman running a truck and Jerry proudly holding his chief badge.

Does the citizens of this community still feel safe?

There was several people that turned in applications to re-apply even though they felt what was being done to them all was completely wrong and illegal (according to the by-laws and charter) but because they do not want this community to suffer they turn them applications in with Huntington instead of moving on to other near-by departments.

Why aren't more of the applicants being called for their interview?
Diddly Squat

Katy, TX

#2 Jan 4, 2013
Repost From Another Thread:

Those kicked out of the fire dept SHOULD pool their money and hire a lawyer (maybe one that has connections/friends with County Attorney Jones) with the objective of forcing an investigation.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3 Jan 5, 2013
Here's a way to help, go to the website and sign the petition please.
http://www.change.org/petitions/huntington-vf...

“Lies never win”

Huntington, Texas

#4 Jan 23, 2013
Everyone is so worried about the fact of the felons and the application process that we still do not have adequate fire protection. How many firefighter that can actually fight the fire, have knowledge to correctly fight fire does the Huntington VFD have right now?
Diddly Squat

Katy, TX

#5 Jan 24, 2013
WHO are the re-applications supposed to be turned in to??
IF THEY ARE TO BE TURNED INTO THE CHIEF and it is for one of those rumored to have been going to vote for a new chief, then the application will surely disappear even if the applicant is squeky clean with no criminal history and could pass a drug test with flying colors.

I would suggest that a completely NEW board be established (perhaps with some non residents) until this bruhaha is over and the department remanned.

Applications to go to the board WITHOUT Jerry LaSalle being involved.

It may be hard to find enough prospective members that are available (especially during daytime) to make calls.

What is the status of the member that was a challenger for the "chief" position?

Location hidden

#6 Jan 24, 2013
This is what I have heard, first an applicant must have a valid driver's license, fill out the application, have a background check done by the Police Department, pass a drug screen and if that's in proper order, then they proceed to an interview with the VFD Board. I believe the Police Chief said the application could be turned in to him to start the process.
I did not hear where the applications could be picked up, I assume from Jerry or from the Police Chief?
From the discussion, the volunteers must be available and willing to respond to the fires when called. It would appear there is more to being a Volunteer Fire Department member than hanging out at the fire station and wearing the t-shirt around town.

“Seeking out the truth”

Huntington

#7 Jan 24, 2013
I don't understand why you would pay to have someone drug tested before an interview, that doesn't make since to me. If you interview them and find they are not what you are looking for in a volunteer then you just wasted the money on paying for their drug test.
Surely that is not the correct order, but then again I have been totally dumb founded by some of the comments by the fire chief in all the recent media.

Surely you didn't think there, that was all to being on a volunteer fire department, "hanging out at the fire station and wearing the t-shirt". I would like to know who that is they were referring to.

Location hidden

#8 Jan 24, 2013
I'm sorry, this may not be the order, but remember this is a small town, usually they already know the person applying. Maybe it is more of a self test for the applicant, to understand they must pass a drug test or do not apply. Save everyone time, trouble, and embarrassment.
I guess you need to ask for the fire call reports to see who showed up for the fires and who showed up for the votes. Maybe a requirement to have to make so many emergency calls a year before you are allowed to vote might have weeded out some of the problems.
Stephen

Lufkin, TX

#9 Jan 24, 2013
Diddly Squat wrote:
WHO are the re-applications supposed to be turned in to??
IF THEY ARE TO BE TURNED INTO THE CHIEF and it is for one of those rumored to have been going to vote for a new chief, then the application will surely disappear even if the applicant is squeky clean with no criminal history and could pass a drug test with flying colors.
I would suggest that a completely NEW board be established (perhaps with some non residents) until this bruhaha is over and the department remanned.
Applications to go to the board WITHOUT Jerry LaSalle being involved.
It may be hard to find enough prospective members that are available (especially during daytime) to make calls.
What is the status of the member that was a challenger for the "chief" position?
Thank you diddly for being concerned about me. I am still awaiting a call back for an interview. I did reapply the night of the incident. I have not and was not asked to submit to a drug test but I have no problems doing one and never have had a problem with taking a drug test. In fact, I was an advocate of drug tests and background checks years before this all started.
It hurts to know that the 17 years that I volunteered in this community was taken away from me like having a rug pulled out from underneath me in the blink of an eye. Every time the tones go off, I instinctively grab my stuff to head out the door and realize that I can not go.
But I sit here patiently waiting the opportunity to once again serve this community that I so love.
Diddly Squat

Katy, TX

#10 Jan 25, 2013
THE LUFKIN DAILY NEWS HAS A GREAT EDITORIAL IN TODAY'S PAPER (Fri Jan 25, 2013) on the HVFD mess.

http://lufkindailynews.com/opinion/editorials...

Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:15 am

EDITORIAL: Huntington Volunteer Fire Department The Lufkin News The Lufkin News

There are many questions to be answered about the Huntington Volunteer Fire Department (VFD)— namely, who’s on its board? and why is that board not making decisions about personnel — but this much is clear: The department is a mess.

~~~ Much Much More on the editorial page between the above and the last paragraph below ~~~

What the city, and the Angelina County VFD Association, can do is withhold further funding from the Huntington VFD. That may be what needs to happen until the department gets its act together.
outside looking in

Lufkin, TX

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Diddly Squat wrote:
THE LUFKIN DAILY NEWS HAS A GREAT EDITORIAL IN TODAY'S PAPER (Fri Jan 25, 2013) on the HVFD mess.
http://lufkindailynews.com/opinion/editorials...
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:15 am
EDITORIAL: Huntington Volunteer Fire Department The Lufkin News The Lufkin News
There are many questions to be answered about the Huntington Volunteer Fire Department (VFD)— namely, who’s on its board? and why is that board not making decisions about personnel — but this much is clear: The department is a mess.
~~~ Much Much More on the editorial page between the above and the last paragraph below ~~~
What the city, and the Angelina County VFD Association, can do is withhold further funding from the Huntington VFD. That may be what needs to happen until the department gets its act together.
The problem does not lie with the funds, it lies with who is running the place.
They will get rid of someone that is a felon, a crime that has nothing to do with the fire department, but will not get rid of someone the commits an act that can be perceived as a crime. And the city itself is saying "not sure the manner in which the dismissals met an orderly, legal and fair manner, but we are almost positive they didn't meet all three" and they are still allowing him to run the department. What part of this makes any sense.
To put is simply, this is a textbook definition of insanity, doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. The chiefs credibility is non-existent now. The city needs to step in again and appoint a new chief. One that meets their standards. Someone that has the training, leadership skills, experience and the abilities to turn that department around. Not knocking Mr. Davidson's training, experience or abilities, but if he does not fit that bill then the city needs to look elsewhere, whether that is internally or externally.
But keeping the current chief in there is only asking for more trouble, liability on the city's part for not taking care of the original problem and legality of the mass dismissal and the department going no where.

“Seeking out the truth”

Huntington

#12 Jan 26, 2013
outside looking in wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem does not lie with the funds, it lies with who is running the place.
They will get rid of someone that is a felon, a crime that has nothing to do with the fire department, but will not get rid of someone the commits an act that can be perceived as a crime. And the city itself is saying "not sure the manner in which the dismissals met an orderly, legal and fair manner, but we are almost positive they didn't meet all three" and they are still allowing him to run the department. What part of this makes any sense.
To put is simply, this is a textbook definition of insanity, doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. The chiefs credibility is non-existent now. The city needs to step in again and appoint a new chief. One that meets their standards. Someone that has the training, leadership skills, experience and the abilities to turn that department around. Not knocking Mr. Davidson's training, experience or abilities, but if he does not fit that bill then the city needs to look elsewhere, whether that is internally or externally.
But keeping the current chief in there is only asking for more trouble, liability on the city's part for not taking care of the original problem and legality of the mass dismissal and the department going no where.
I think you are correct about the funds not being the problem, maybe the only thing that is not a problem but by continuing to fund this mess of a department you are helping the problems not the solution. By stopping funding enables the people causing the problems. If the department only has very few active firefighters then they do not need as much funds anyway. Less people to drive=less fuel used, less member= less cost on insurance, less people at the station=less utility bills, etc.

I personally feel that even if this Davidson doesn't have all the training and experience that should stop him from being able to be a member maybe he is not the right choice for the chief but surely after all that the current chief has done Davidson would be a step in the right direction. Does anyone know of any certificates that the current chief has or where to look the information up?

“Seeking out the truth”

Huntington

#13 Jan 26, 2013
*correction- should NOT stop him from being a member
Diddly Squat

Katy, TX

#14 Jan 27, 2013
http://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article...

Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:15 am | Updated: 1:05 am, Sun Jan 27, 2013.

Huntington to explore creating Emergency Service District for its fire services
By JESSICA COOLEY/The Lufkin News

An “ESD” would provide funding through property tax dollars for the city to purchase equipment and possibly have paid firefighters if it were to be approved by community members. City manager Bruce Milstead said the city is in the early stages of looking into what is needed to establish an ESD.

Though LaSalle, in a Friday evening phone conversation, would not disclose the list of fire department board members to The Lufkin News, Milstead identified them ~~~~~ MORE

LaSalle said that as of Friday he has eight to 10 people ......

SEE FULL ARTICLE IN SUNDAY JAN 27, 2013 LUFKIN DAILY NEWS

Location hidden

#15 Jan 27, 2013
I have one thought, if funding is not the problem with the HVFD, then why would the option being presented by the City is to form a ESD which would increase property taxes? It appears the City has received the changes they have requested from Jerry, so why are they looking at other options now? Does anyone really think having two fire departments is practical or wise? Just what is the City really wanting? For that matter what do the Citizens really want?
Diddly Squat

Katy, TX

#16 Jan 27, 2013
inacar wrote:
I have one thought, if funding is not the problem with the HVFD, then why would the option being presented by the City is to form a ESD which would increase property taxes? It appears the City has received the changes they have requested from Jerry, so why are they looking at other options now? Does anyone really think having two fire departments is practical or wise? Just what is the City really wanting? For that matter what do the Citizens really want?
When I attended a "Fire Officer" course at Texas A&M Fire Training School in 1957 one of the things stressed was that the first 5 minutes after the alarm usually determined if the structure would be saved.

Notice one of the things mentioned above was this would possibly allow for a few paid firemen, which would allow a truck to immediately be enroute instead of the delay while the volunteer traveled from home to the department.

Incidently the reduction in the insurance key rate would probably offset the tax.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 28, 2013
Diddly Squat wrote:
<quoted text>
When I attended a "Fire Officer" course at Texas A&M Fire Training School in 1957 one of the things stressed was that the first 5 minutes after the alarm usually determined if the structure would be saved.
Notice one of the things mentioned above was this would possibly allow for a few paid firemen, which would allow a truck to immediately be enroute instead of the delay while the volunteer traveled from home to the department.
Incidently the reduction in the insurance key rate would probably offset the tax.
If anything can result in a better insurance quote, I am all for it!
I believe that would make Huntington more appealing to homeowners moving back into the City. We need to have benefits for being city folks, we need more reasons to be here than outside the city limits.
And right now, I am hard pressed to see any advantage.
spare tire

Hemphill, TX

#18 Jan 28, 2013
with the clowns running the city and the fire department, creating and esd will only bring in a bigger circus and not benefit anyone at all. with everything that is crooked around here an esd board will be the same way. if jerry would have not kicked everyone to the curb he had someone that was very good at writing grants.

Location hidden

#19 Jan 28, 2013
If you know someone that wants to get involved in helping with grant writing, you may suggest they put the word out. The EDC will be undertaking a grant for the trails between now and February of next year and the HG&HS will be undertaking a grant also in the near future. There are lots of ways to help out if they are interested outside the fire department. Maybe even have a workshop for area group members who need some help knowing how to get started.

Katy, TX

#20 Jan 28, 2013
Can anyone remember the name of a Huntington man that came up missing about 10-12 years ago. There was a big man hunt for him by Kent Henson. There was extensive coverage on KTRE and Lufkin Daily news. They later found his boat and his truck at another time. He was said to be an avid hunter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hudson ISD teacher arrested for improper relati... Mon Principle 1
Sheila Ann Morton missing (Aug '14) Apr 8 Still concerned 10
Speed Trap Apr 5 WolfPack 1
News Audit: Officials in speed trap Texas town caugh... (Mar '14) Apr 1 Out of state 81
News Lufkin Police PD discontinues Silver Alert, rep... Mar '17 Silver phart 1
News First Alert Weather: Severe thunderstorms possi... Mar '17 norma adams 1
Jennifer McElreath Feb '17 AndyBoyd11 1

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages