$94,000 to combat gangs in Huntington...

$94,000 to combat gangs in Huntington Station

There are 40 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 10, 2008, titled $94,000 to combat gangs in Huntington Station. In it, Newsday reports that:

Congressman Steve Israel was in his home district Thursday morning to present a $94,000 check in federal funds to the Tri Community and Youth Agency's gang prevention program: Community And Schools Together ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Westfield, MA

#2 Jan 10, 2008
we have come a long way to now have to use that amount of money to combat gangs in the schools, and on the streets. money that could have been used in many other ways for the good of the people...... lets keep on letting these illegals into our country, and see where it gets us.and please, don't try to tell me these criminals are all legal citizens of america! they should be apprehended, and deported.
Twice nothing

United States

#3 Jan 10, 2008
Twice Nothing is still nothing.

The real problems driving gangs in our communities are "Illegal Immigration" and the "War on Drugs". When we fix those two problems, most gang problems will go away.

Illegal Immigration promotes gang activity as it gives "illegals" access to protection and cash.

The "War on Drugs" promotes gangs as there is so much money to made.

Legalize drugs and tax them to treat the idiots who use them. When there are no more illegal drug profits most gangs will begin to dry up. With no profits, illegal immigrants will have one less means of acquiring wealth while living here illegally.

Stupid is as Stupid does and twice nothin' is still nothin'

Thanks for nothing would be a better headline.

Schummer, Spitzer, Silver, Bloomberg, Isreal.

Gee, I wonder why things are falling apart in this nation, state and county. The fish always stinks from the head.

Time to exercise your second amendment rights and take back your government. It is nearing too late for us.

Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#5 Jan 10, 2008
The $94,000 was used to create that great acronym (CAST) and a corresponding logo I bet. You are still trying to treat symptoms. The problem is broken families. People join these gangs because they are like a family. They are substituting for the family these kids don't otherwise have. You can't succeed here unless you get the fathers in the community to assume their proper role.
The government can never be a father to these kids.
jake

Baldwin, NY

#6 Jan 10, 2008
Congressman Isreal ,The Illegal Aliens and their extended famlies thank you . You want to stop the gangs in Hunt Station then DEPORT THEM instead of sup[porting them at every vote . NO GANGS NO AMNESTY ! This crap is just stealing our hard earned tax money !!
GregNewYork

Stormville, NY

#7 Jan 10, 2008
94 Grand? What is that going to get you?

New York spends twice that amount locking up a half a dozen drug users.

This is nothing to brag about, too bad Newsday didn't go all the way with this story and point out what 94k really gets you these days.

End the Drug War... and you will wind up having No More Gangs as a consequence.
Faust

Addison, TX

#8 Jan 10, 2008
Use that moeny to throw them all in prison or back in Mexico, problem solved.
New York Groove

Stony Brook, NY

#9 Jan 10, 2008
Faust wrote:
Use that moeny to throw them all in prison or back in Mexico, problem solved.
Too much $$ to keep these losers incarcerated. Buy them a one way ticket back to their country. But I like your idea.
Dano Cicciaro Jr

Levittown, NY

#10 Jan 10, 2008
I was part of a gang called Blackout but in Suffolk we don't call them gangs because we are white.
Born in the USA

Salt Point, NY

#11 Jan 10, 2008
That Money could have been used to help out OUR elderly
HELP OUT AMERICANS ONLY

Its harrible the way we treat the great generation
World WarII the deprestion
Just DEPORT THEM
Enough already
Former LIer 2

Greenville, SC

#12 Jan 10, 2008
I would definately agree with statments about lack of supporting father roles and illegals using them as support and protection. Of course, think back thru history- differant varients of the "mafia"- Irish, Italian and more recently the Russians and Chinese, etc. In locations with large ethnic groups of immigrants (both legal and illegal) this is their support network. The downside is all the problems that are caused from it. Beyond the shadow of doubt the issue is caused by our loosely controlled borders- tighten our borders- make it as hard to get in here as it is to get on airplane.
Also, in reponse to the "lack of fathers", I had a laugh this past Sunday, in the Parade magazine here in Spartanburg, SC, a reader asked about a 29 y/o NFL player suspended for substance abuse- apparently they did whatever was needed thru the courts, etc. It went on to say however there is still issues with his 9 kids from 7 different moms. I guess no one has told this genius to wear a rubber- how many of his little offspring will turn to drugs and gangs and the like as they grow up. Mean sounding- yes- but take some responsibilty for your kids- Even if he's pulling a few million a year, just imagine the child support....
Scam

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 10, 2008
The 94K has nothing to do with gangs, it's to pay salaries for more of the Dems patronage jobs in Huntington. CAST, sounds like a fishing club.

It's an endless cycle in Huntington of power and corruption, but with a 5-0 Dem Board, and Spota only willing to go after GOP towns (Brookheaven and Islip)the system works great for the Dem machine.

As far as gangs, if Israel really wanted to do something it could be done in a day by having ICE spend a hang out on Depot Road.
Si Senor

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jan 10, 2008
If you get gangs out of Huntington/south huntington schools there will be a lot of teachers teaching empty classrooms!
Si Senor

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Jan 10, 2008
Scam wrote:
The 94K has nothing to do with gangs, it's to pay salaries for more of the Dems patronage jobs in Huntington. CAST, sounds like a fishing club.
It's an endless cycle in Huntington of power and corruption, but with a 5-0 Dem Board, and Spota only willing to go after GOP towns (Brookheaven and Islip)the system works great for the Dem machine.
As far as gangs, if Israel really wanted to do something it could be done in a day by having ICE spend a hang out on Depot Road.
You're 100% right. I think that fatso should be forced to take these kids into his house and watch them while their dad wait for a job on depot rd!
James Dean

Bronx, NY

#18 Jan 10, 2008
When Black and Spanish Men learn to act like real Men and take responsibilty for their actions which means learning how to control their testosterone then the Gang problem will begin to improve. They have no morality or Family values. The Women are mothers before they are 16 years old and Civilized America is supposed to accept this? Blacks and Spanish need to realize that White America is getting very tired of supporting their illegitimate children.
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jan 10, 2008
It's about Time!!! Huntington was ONCE such a beautiful town,unfortunately incompetant local Legislators are only concerned about Snow blowing off your car roof.End of story.
Spanky

Bronx, NY

#20 Jan 10, 2008
I was talking to a Waitress in a Huntington Diner over the Summer. She was also a School Teacher in the Huntington Public schools. When I asked her how she liked it she said,"I don't. You can't teach "them". They're all stupid." That coming from a Teacher. All I can say is that stereotypes are formed for a reason.
Run262

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jan 10, 2008
Even teachers in the worst schools have more faith in their kids than your waitress friend. Kids can sense the teachers who don't care and the students will loose their motivation quickly.

A teacher who has given up can't expect much.
Gramps

AOL

#22 Jan 10, 2008
Execute them!
joe doe

Brooklyn, NY

#23 Jan 10, 2008
I agree with everyone on here that illegal immirgration and drug control policies need to be better addressed. The lock em up, throw away the key mentality has not worked. If it did, we would not be having the problems we are having today.

The reality of the situation is that poverty is always going to fuels gangs, drugs,etc..

While $94,000 may seem like a indiscriminate amount, and at risk at sounding sentimental, I hope it helps those kids.
Run262

Brooklyn, NY

#24 Jan 10, 2008
There's been nothing but inactivity from ICE on immigration matters. They have stuck their heads into the sand and ignored the problem, while good citizens pay the bill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 10 hr Bruser 2,622
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) May 21 Deserted in the D... 1,817
Fredrick's Restaurant May 21 annonomous 1
Huntigton murder of Melvin Cortes on mothers day (May '06) May 20 Mad 33
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) May 19 Evelyn 11
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) May 17 Brig Master 19
Illegal Apartments In Levittown are Hurting Pro... May 16 Eager Beaver 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Station Mortgages