Pregnant mom accused in stabbing due in court -

Full story: Newsday

Shantelle Scruggs, who allegedly stabbed to death a pregnant woman in a North Bay Shore homeless center earlier this month, faces arraignment Tuesday in Riverhead on a grand jury indictment, prosecutors said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Jul 3, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Stony Brook NY

Bridgewater, NJ

#1 Sep 18, 2007
My heart aches for 5 year old Brian. How is it that a boy this young knows to press a towel to the wound in order to help his mom. He apparently has seen way too much of this sad, sick world in his short lifetime!
oh know

Denver, CO

#3 Sep 18, 2007
never ends does it....
21 years old already has a set of twins and another baby on the way. i hope these babies end up living with their daddy (if they can find him) and that he is willing to SUPPORT these kids since i'm sure (and i'm hoping) that this animal of a woman/mother will be put away for a very long time.

terrible thing to happen, sympathy to the santos family.

interesting that these two women seemed to have had alot in common with their life styles. all babies, no daddy's, all living off the taxpayer, and now the taxpayer will be supporting their children. make their families responsible for raising these children, not us the taxpayer.
Jay Jay

Spring Valley, NY

#4 Sep 18, 2007
Why do homeless women continue to get pregnant??
Sunny

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Sep 18, 2007
This is just sad and pathetic on so many levels. I hope someone else can provide a good life for the kids effected by all of this. I can't imagine what that poor little boy is going to go through as he grows up after seeing his mom killed.
Rose

Commack, NY

#8 Sep 18, 2007
Jay Jay wrote:
It's not only the homeless having more kids....The reason they have more kids is so the state gives them more money and food stamps. The more kids you have the more you get from the county. This is sick and to have your kids in that kind of lifestyle. No kid should ever have to see that. Nice way to bring up the kids. I hope the kids find a nice foster home the father doesn't even deserve them. They have no morals at all.
Vicki

Overland Park, KS

#9 Sep 18, 2007
Shantelle should have to give up custody of all her children.
oh know

Denver, CO

#10 Sep 18, 2007
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not only the homeless having more kids....The reason they have more kids is so the state gives them more money and food stamps. The more kids you have the more you get from the county. This is sick and to have your kids in that kind of lifestyle. No kid should ever have to see that. Nice way to bring up the kids. I hope the kids find a nice foster home the father doesn't even deserve them. They have no morals at all.
this incident is another good reason why the state should STOP giving money and food stamps to people like that, anyone actually. you should have to WORK for what you have.
Rose

Commack, NY

#12 Sep 18, 2007
oh know wrote:
<quoted text>
this incident is another good reason why the state should STOP giving money and food stamps to people like that, anyone actually. you should have to WORK for what you have.
I agree with you!!! I can go on and on but I won't. It's just out of control.
THE STORK

New York, NY

#13 Sep 18, 2007
SHE HAS ONE YEAR OLD TWINS AND SHE HAD THE NERVE TO GET BACK IN HOT WATER AGAIN RIGHT AWAY AND BEING HOMELESS YET? SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CAREFULL WITHOUT HAVING A HOME FOR HER OTHER BABIES TO HAVE SAFER SEX THAN THAT! I FEEL SO BAD FOR HER BABIES TO HAVE AN IRRESPONSIBLE WOMAN LIKE THAT FOR A MOTHER!
Jo-Anne

Hoboken, NJ

#14 Sep 18, 2007
oh know wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, to a point, better discretion is needed on who gets benefits. Not all people are deserving but some are. Some find themselves ill or injured and having to go on disabilty or layed off after many years. Too often the wrong people benefit from the system.
Fix Them

King Of Prussia, PA

#16 Sep 18, 2007
These animals who have children for the sole purpose of getting welfare checks MUST BE STERILIZED! Take them to a local Veteranarian and harvest their reproductive organs.

It's harsh, but since our legislators can never be proactive about anything, it's the only way to stop perpetuating this crisis.
Jane from Babylon

Washington, DC

#17 Sep 18, 2007
oh know wrote:
never ends does it....
21 years old already has a set of twins and another baby on the way. i hope these babies end up living with their daddy (if they can find him) and that he is willing to SUPPORT these kids since i'm sure (and i'm hoping) that this animal of a woman/mother will be put away for a very long time.
terrible thing to happen, sympathy to the santos family.
interesting that these two women seemed to have had alot in common with their life styles. all babies, no daddy's, all living off the taxpayer, and now the taxpayer will be supporting their children. make their families responsible for raising these children, not us the taxpayer.
i agree that it is wrong about welfare mothers continuing to have children, which we taxpayers have to support. but in this case, if i remember from the news article, the murdered woman had only recently become homeless because she was the victim of a mortgage scam. it sounded like the shelter was to her temporary while she got back on her feet and not a lifestyle like the accused.
Jay Jay

Spring Valley, NY

#26 Sep 18, 2007
oh know wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. I totally do. But then I think of a poor innocent baby brought into the world who doesn't deserve to starve and be left out in the cold. Not that most welfare mothers are using that money for the good of their children anyway.

Don't get me started on how I really feel this should be handled...because that would just open up a whole can of worms irrelevant to the subject at hand.
Jay Jay

Spring Valley, NY

#27 Sep 18, 2007
Fix Them wrote:
These animals who have children for the sole purpose of getting welfare checks MUST BE STERILIZED! Take them to a local Veteranarian and harvest their reproductive organs.
It's harsh, but since our legislators can never be proactive about anything, it's the only way to stop perpetuating this crisis.
Yes...I am thinking along these lines too. We could learn something from the Chinese who have a ban on more than 1 child except in special circumstances...
Enough Already

Stony Brook, NY

#28 Sep 18, 2007
These people need to be spayed and neutered.
Enough Already

Stony Brook, NY

#29 Sep 18, 2007
Vicki wrote:
Shantelle should have to give up custody of all her children.
Why??? so she can have more??
MomaInQueens

Brooklyn, NY

#30 Sep 18, 2007
A good number of homeless shelters have had violent incidents go on which never makes the news. I am not sure how well or poorly run this particular shelter had been but crap happens in a good number of them. I remember one social worker saying that she would rather live on teh streets than in somme of those shelters, because some had been so badly run and so unsafe within those walls. If a relative of mine was in Santos's situation, I would have tried to talk her into, at least, letting those kids live with me, until she got back on her feet.
Ligation

Falls Church, VA

#31 Sep 18, 2007
Jay Jay wrote:
As Bob Barker would say, Have your homeless spayed and neutered.
Linda

Stony Brook, NY

#32 Sep 18, 2007
I am surprised that they showed her picture. Usually this race is exhonerated from photo shoots.
leona

Denver, CO

#33 Sep 18, 2007
MomaInQueens wrote:
A good number of homeless shelters have had violent incidents go on which never makes the news. I am not sure how well or poorly run this particular shelter had been but crap happens in a good number of them. I remember one social worker saying that she would rather live on teh streets than in somme of those shelters, because some had been so badly run and so unsafe within those walls. If a relative of mine was in Santos's situation, I would have tried to talk her into, at least, letting those kids live with me, until she got back on her feet.
santos's family was all over the news crying and saying how devastated they are over what happened....to bad they weren't that devastated when her and her kids became homeless...
where are any of the three baby daddies??? the two that are still alive should be living with the father. let him pay for his off-spring.
when the lawsuits against the shelter and county start, let's see how "rich" the non-caring relatives all become

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 27 Vote Zornow 6,408
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women Aug 27 WFLI 1
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Aug 25 Sambee 1
More Than Just X and Y: A New Genetic Basis for... Aug 23 Momma 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Aug 22 Bruser 2,283
George Martin's Grillfire opens Monday in Syosset Aug 22 Neil Farbstein 1
•••

Huntington Station News Video

•••
Huntington Station Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••