Huntington Station chickens run a fow...

Huntington Station chickens run a fowl of town law

There are 43 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 20, 2008, titled Huntington Station chickens run a fowl of town law. In it, Newsday reports that:

Why did the chicken cross the road in Huntington ? It might have been an effort to hide from code enforcement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Change

Levittown, NY

#1 Nov 21, 2008
Hey idiot go get your eggs at the supermarket like everyone else. All they need is for all those chicken chasers living in the station to have hundreds of chickens running around deopt road! Oooh that's racist hope steve levy doesn't read this.
exislander

Lebanon, NH

#2 Nov 21, 2008
New York City allows appartment dwellers to have pidgeons on roof tops; a few chickens in someone's back yard shouldn't be a problem. Get real Huntington.
sigh

South Ozone Park, NY

#3 Nov 21, 2008
Hey Change,

Instead of being a pompous douche, why don't you just sign off the internet forever. This guy is doing nothing wrong and the chickens aren't harming anyone. If you don't like it, leave huntington.
PROUD AMERICAN VET

Pittsfield, MA

#4 Nov 21, 2008
Hey Huntingtown Code Enforcement go check the area around E 3Rd St North of Polaski Rd. You will find thousands of chickens, not to mention duck's. I guess this area doesn't matter though, because it is all occupied by illegal Spanish Speaking People. Oh one other thing you might just find lots of Crack and Pot in that area also.
newsday reader

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Nov 21, 2008
I'd rather have chickens next door than having to look out the window at my neighbors RV everyday.
chris

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Nov 21, 2008
wow !!! 28 signatures, this guy has really done his leg work
joe

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Nov 21, 2008
This guy must be a real genius. When he read the town code, he didn't know that poultry would include chickens. Also, if he has chickens who are laying eggs, then he must have a rooster. The neighbors must love hearing the rooster going off ever morning.
Cluck Cluck

Edison, NJ

#8 Nov 21, 2008
I see nothing wrong with having a limited number of chickens. Too bad they can't limit the number of children some people are having.
I think it is an Egg-cellent idea. Better than using pesticides to rid your yard of ticks.
wouch

Mineola, NY

#9 Nov 21, 2008
The guy admits he read the town code incorrectly. This should shock no one. After all, the guys lives in Huntington Station.
Save the chickens

West New York, NJ

#10 Nov 21, 2008
Chickens make THE BEST pets, there clean and they give you food. I could see if you hade 20 but 5 or 6 whats the big deal.In this economy we may need the food!!
Change the code!!!!
WaWaWeeWa

Union City, NJ

#11 Nov 21, 2008
You dont need a rooster for the chickens to lay eggs...
Bonacker

Port Washington, NY

#13 Nov 21, 2008
Change wrote:
Hey idiot go get your eggs at the supermarket like everyone else. All they need is for all those chicken chasers living in the station to have hundreds of chickens running around deopt road! Oooh that's racist hope steve levy doesn't read this.
I absolutely hate idiotic and ignorant people who complain that someone has chickens in their yard. What is wrong with you? Go move to Queens if you want to live in some sort of pseudo-urban environment where you spend all your time watching Television. Goofballs...raising chickens is a wonderful activity that also reaffirms our connection to the land and world around us and has been practiced here on Long Island by the earliest settlers long before the county was even formed. Stop the nonsense and moronic stereotypical suburban behavior. People actually dont know what a chicken looks like...that is disturbing.
Bonacker

Port Washington, NY

#14 Nov 21, 2008
PROUD AMERICAN VET wrote:
Hey Huntingtown Code Enforcement go check the area around E 3Rd St North of Polaski Rd. You will find thousands of chickens, not to mention duck's. I guess this area doesn't matter though, because it is all occupied by illegal Spanish Speaking People. Oh one other thing you might just find lots of Crack and Pot in that area also.
People from western Long Island are bizarre....
Lucky Duv

Bellmore, NY

#15 Nov 21, 2008
His intentions are good but, move to a more rural area if you want to raise chickens in your backyard. Chicken food not the chickens themselves are a great target for rats. So is dog food if left outside in dishes. I feel bad for the guy but Western Suffolk is not the place to raise chickens in your backyard.
Calm Down

Bronx, NY

#16 Nov 21, 2008
joe wrote:
This guy must be a real genius. When he read the town code, he didn't know that poultry would include chickens. Also, if he has chickens who are laying eggs, then he must have a rooster. The neighbors must love hearing the rooster going off ever morning.
Don't need the rooster to lay eggs. However, if they do have a rooster, at night they only need to close it in a dog house like structure where light doesn't leak in at night. My friend did this with his rooster and the neighbors did not complain (unless he forgot to close the door on a very rare occasion).
What the

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Nov 21, 2008
Chickens and roosters do not belong in a residential neighborhood. If you want to raise chickens, move to a farm. These people are being selfish. I have a neighbor who decided to get a couple of roosters and hens. The make noise 24/7 (yes, even at night). He lets them roam the neighborhood and does not put them in a pen at night. The town will not do anything and animal control says that it's ok that they are "free range". If I wanted to live near a farm, I would have moved to Montana.
Bonacker

Port Washington, NY

#18 Nov 21, 2008
Lucky Duv wrote:
His intentions are good but, move to a more rural area if you want to raise chickens in your backyard. Chicken food not the chickens themselves are a great target for rats. So is dog food if left outside in dishes. I feel bad for the guy but Western Suffolk is not the place to raise chickens in your backyard.
Not true...there should be no reason to not raise chickens in western Suffolk, even Nassau for that matter. Chickens really dont need much space 1/3 of an acre or more is ideal though. If you keep food in metal containers (think metal garbage can) you will not attract rats. Your mentality is not surprising for someone who lives disconnected from the outside world and spends alot of time watching Television and traveling to the mall. I live in eastern Suffolk by the way in a town where chickens are not uncommon. Regardless, western Suffolk is perfectly suited for chickens.
Backyard chicken movement

North Bergen, NJ

#19 Nov 21, 2008
Even this comment page gets some press:
http://longislandfoodie.com/2008/11/21/chicke...
Lucky Duv

Bellmore, NY

#20 Nov 21, 2008
Bonacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true...there should be no reason to not raise chickens in western Suffolk, even Nassau for that matter. Chickens really dont need much space 1/3 of an acre or more is ideal though. If you keep food in metal containers (think metal garbage can) you will not attract rats. Your mentality is not surprising for someone who lives disconnected from the outside world and spends alot of time watching Television and traveling to the mall. I live in eastern Suffolk by the way in a town where chickens are not uncommon. Regardless, western Suffolk is perfectly suited for chickens.
I think your response would have been better served without questioning my morality.
What the

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Nov 21, 2008
Bonacker wrote:
<quoted text>
His mentality is that of someone who does not want to live near a farm. How many chickens can you fit on a 1/3 of an acre? If people want to raise chickens in a residental area they need to have a permit and rules need to be enforced. Relying on someones commonsense to keep feed in a metal can and to keep the pens clean does not work. There is not enough room in these areas for chickens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 12 hr Bruser 2,734
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Jan 18 Go Blue Forever 56
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Jan 13 Bgunter1975 90
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) Jan 11 Mario 30
News Menu for hiring at Nassau jail? (Jul '07) Jan 5 BigBrother1 25
Review: Paula S. Gilbert, LMHC (Apr '15) Jan 4 Total waste 6
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Jan 1 Bob 334

Huntington Station Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Station Mortgages