CONSUMER WATCH: Haunted by 'zombie debt'

Full story: Newsday

After Kim Mullen filed for bankruptcy in 1993, she cut up all her credit cards in her lawyer's office.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2014
lnm

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

...and lenders wonder why people are cynical about their honesty!
galen

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

I had a bankruptcy 15 years ago and just recently had a zombie collector come after me. I enjoy the interaction because I know the law and don't fear these impotent idiots. They prey on people who don't know that it is illegal for these jerks to persue the debt if the person states that the debt is not owed. Never do you ever acknowledge that the debt is owed, that can reactivate the statute of limitations in some states. I just listen to hear some of the outlandish rude garbage that they pitch at me for intimidation, and my REAL bonus is when they get mad when they realize that they are getting nowhere. Just remember that past the statute is an illegal collection and to never acknowledge that you owe the debt. State that 'No, I do not owe this debt. Do not contact me again or I will sue.'
Patrice Faulkner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2008

I have been bothered lately by a firm attempting to collect on a zombie debt. This article has given me needed information to fight this outrageous attempt to collect on a debt was settled more than 15 yrs ago
Thank you for the timeliness of this article.
Jose A Rodriguez

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2008

As per my credit report these agencies send information to the Credits Bureaus at the time they buy the account no matter that a this time the account overpass 5 or 6 years old then when you try to buy something the account is reflected in
the creditor's report as a recent delinquency account with the date the buyer's sent the information to the Credit Bureau instead of the real date of the account.

Does Credits's Bureaus should review the outcome of a debt or only accept what they receive as correct?
Belinda

Salida, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

I just received a letter and a phone call in the same day on a credit card debt from my mother in law who died in Nov 2001, leaving no assets. I said she had died and I would send them a copy of the death certificate. They said they know she died and even gave me the date. They had the nerve to ask who paid for her funeral. I told them a nephew and not to call me again. He yelled "THEN PAY THE DEBT" and hung up on me. I couldn't believe my ears! It has been 7 years, and it wasn't my debt!
Kiah

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

This is the first time I had ever applied for a loan. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the staff that answered any of my questions to the application process. Once this had all been completed the money was transferred quickly into my account. I will definitely be recommending 911PDAY .COM ( http://goo.gl/44kQUQ ) too my friends and family.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 21 hr Vote Zornow 6,408
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women Wed WFLI 1
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Aug 25 Sambee 1
More Than Just X and Y: A New Genetic Basis for... Aug 23 Momma 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Aug 22 Bruser 2,283
George Martin's Grillfire opens Monday in Syosset Aug 22 Neil Farbstein 1
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Aug 22 Stan 51
•••

Huntington Station News Video

•••
Huntington Station Dating

more search filters

less search filters