The Herald's View: Public salaries, p...

The Herald's View: Public salaries, pensions puzzling

There are 28 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jul 18, 2010, titled The Herald's View: Public salaries, pensions puzzling. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Often the opinions that fill this space are reached at with relative ease, but sometimes we just aren't sure what to make of things we read.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Peace Power

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Jul 20, 2010
Monterey Citizen wrote:
While I agree, the compensation paid for the Bell management staff and the council is outrageous, so too is the salary and compensation paid to many private sector employees. Steve Packer of CHOMP is laying off hundreds of low-wage workers and sending collection notices to hundreds of residents for bills that our 1.5 to 2 years old, all the while collecting over $460,000.00 a year in salary. The President of Robert Louis Stevenson school has an unbelievable compensation package worth well over one million dollars and has a free house to live in - in Pebble Beach - while charging local residents hundreds of thousands of dollars to send their kids to school - and with the state of our local schools, private education is one of the few ways to be sure your kids get an adequate education. Should we mention the millions paid to defense contractors and their lobbyists while our children are sent to die in pointless foreign wars. Where is the outrage!
You are so correct......the outrage is often misplaced because the average citizen relies on a corporate owned media to inform their views. Case in point, the comment posted to your remarks said "I don't agree with Afghanistan which was due to 9-11." Bombing a civilian population to combat terrorism is as effective as using gasoline to put out a fire. If the Bush administration was truly interested in reducing terrorism, they would have used the tragedy to cultivate international law enforcement partnerships, arresting and trying the terrorists. The mideast wars of this past decade were and are being waged to control the region and thus to control the single most important stategic material prize on this planet: PETROLEUM. To a lesser extent, wars also enrich the monied classes and are viewed as a marvelous economic opportunity. Wake up people, your children are dying or are getting chunks of their heads blown off so that the masters of our system can accumulate even more.
runthenumbers

Hermosa Beach, CA

#24 Jul 20, 2010
All you need to do is study the difference between public and private salaries and benefits. The evidence is clear. Nobody in the private sector gets that kind of retirement. Their values are in the millions. The numbers do not lie.
Tough Love

Newark, NJ

#25 Jul 20, 2010
It's not puzzling at all. It's called Union greed, and politicians that are in the Union's pocket.

I've come to believe that (what I have been advocating for), a reduction in the pension formula for FUTURE years of service for CURRENT (yes CURRENT) workers will not come quickly enough or be of sufficient magnitude to beat off the financial disaster bearing down on us, I believe the 9 or 10% in pension contributions that Jeff is trying to extract form the Unions will also be "to little, too late".

I now believe the ONLY answer is to OUTSOURCE 90+% of all Civil Servants.
Yeah Right

Los Gatos, CA

#26 Jul 20, 2010
Amused wrote:
<quoted text> Agree with you about the salaries paid to certain public-sector workers. Frankly, from the little I see the Monterey police and fire do (or refuse to do, even when it is their job) believe they are way overpaid. I am underwhelmed by most local area public sector workers; dumb and lazy best describes many of them. Far as CHOMP goes, I hear you. Believe CHOMP is overpriced and their president makes an awful lot. Far as collections go, CHOMP needs to try to get what is owed them. Don't know about the compensation for the president of Stevenson School, but tuition there is more like $30K/year, not hundreds of thousands of dollars. If I could afford it my child would go to Stevenson, too. Lastly, I don't agree with you about pointless foreign wars. Afghanistan was due to 9-11.
How many times have you ridden with a Monterey police officer or stayed for a shift at the fire station? I'm guessing you haven't. Educate yourself before you run your mouth.
Amused

United States

#27 Jul 20, 2010
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times have you ridden with a Monterey police officer or stayed for a shift at the fire station? I'm guessing you haven't. Educate yourself before you run your mouth.
I've seen them in "action", or lack thereof. Have lived here many years.
Derek

Pasadena, CA

#28 Jul 20, 2010
Tough Love wrote:
It's not puzzling at all. It's called Union greed, and politicians that are in the Union's pocket.
I've come to believe that (what I have been advocating for), a reduction in the pension formula for FUTURE years of service for CURRENT (yes CURRENT) workers will not come quickly enough or be of sufficient magnitude to beat off the financial disaster bearing down on us, I believe the 9 or 10% in pension contributions that Jeff is trying to extract form the Unions will also be "to little, too late".
I now believe the ONLY answer is to OUTSOURCE 90+% of all Civil Servants.
No you idiot, its corporations, politicians and illegal aliens who a killing off the middle class.

Corporations
have taken power, corporate welfare has the country crippled. Politicians and talking heads are paid millions to deceive morons like you. The goal of any corporation is not to make you rich or to pay you a competitive wage. There goal is to enhance profits by outsourcing work to cheap third world slaves, or help import mindless peons from Latin America who will work for less than half of what an American would. They want peasant who have no problem living 10-15 a residence.

Republican vs Democrats is a show, a farce, its WWF like. It's a political show for dummies. Neither party gives a rats az about the public. Politicians are self serving con men and women paid off by the corporations to manipulate imbeciles who believe their game.

Politicians thrive in places like Bell and Maywood. These place have populations that are majority third world non-english speaking latinos who are completely clueless and accuustome to crooked politics and slave wages. They don't know anything different.

Third world corporate, political practices and wages are becoming the norm in this country.
Derek

Pasadena, CA

#29 Jul 20, 2010
runthenumbers wrote:
All you need to do is study the difference between public and private salaries and benefits. The evidence is clear. Nobody in the private sector gets that kind of retirement. Their values are in the millions. The numbers do not lie.
Because there nobody advocating for the private sector. The politicians and the corporate master have eliminated private industry union advocates. Now you're screwed.

Unions are the only group who will help during the current attempted destruction of the American middle class.

Instead of hating you need to organize !
Tough Love

Newark, NJ

#30 Jul 22, 2010
Derek wrote:
<quoted text>
No you idiot, its corporations, politicians and illegal aliens who a killing off the middle class.
Corporations
have taken power, corporate welfare has the country crippled. Politicians and talking heads are paid millions to deceive morons like you. The goal of any corporation is not to make you rich or to pay you a competitive wage. There goal is to enhance profits by outsourcing work to cheap third world slaves, or help import mindless peons from Latin America who will work for less than half of what an American would. They want peasant who have no problem living 10-15 a residence.
Republican vs Democrats is a show, a farce, its WWF like. It's a political show for dummies. Neither party gives a rats az about the public. Politicians are self serving con men and women paid off by the corporations to manipulate imbeciles who believe their game.
Politicians thrive in places like Bell and Maywood. These place have populations that are majority third world non-english speaking latinos who are completely clueless and accuustome to crooked politics and slave wages. They don't know anything different.
Third world corporate, political practices and wages are becoming the norm in this country.
Sorry Gravy-feeder. The politicians are the "enablers", but the greedy Public Union members are the RECIPIANTS of all this unnecessary spending.

Like Willie Sutton said when asked why he robbed banks ..."that's where the money is".

Well, you guys (the public sector Union members) are sucking us dry, and we need to stop it ...PRONTO.

And the BEST way to do so is to OUTSOURCE all of you.

Got to give you credit though ... nice try at DIVERSION from the REAL problem..... Your pay, your pensions, and your benefits !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 min Trojan 32,712
News Activists Led by Al Sharpton Brave Cold, Rain f... 19 min Barros 31
Review: Channel 71 Los Angeles (Feb '16) 37 min TV Producer 161
Drain Hollywood 15 hr Well Well 3
South Gate Park... (Apr '10) 16 hr God Bless us Tee s 23
West LA fadeaway ! 19 hr Diablo 1
MY4FACES – A Wonderful Children’s Picture Book 20 hr my4faces 1

Huntington Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Park Mortgages