Former interim administrator gets sev...

Former interim administrator gets severance payment after resigning

There are 64 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Former interim administrator gets severance payment after resigning. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Former Interim City Administrator Randy Narramore walked away with at least $30,000 while agreeing not to sue the city, according to a July 19 separation agreement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Montebello Homeowner”

Since: Jul 09

Montebello, CA

#1 Jul 30, 2010
Barajas is a fool:

"It all kind of happened so fast, we just didn't want - on either end - anyone to be unhappy with anyone, and that's why we made the separation agreement," said Councilman Art Barajas. "But when it's all said and done he did us well and we wish him all the best."

We elect this idiot to represent us and the best he can say is he want's everyone to be happy. What a joke he is. WE WANT OUR TAX DOLLARS TO BE SPENT WISELY. Not keep overpaid staff happy.

So Narramore walks out on us and makes a quick $30K for doing nothing.

If he was so great as bozo-Barajas seems to think, why did they oppose his police chief choice.

The whole thing stinks like Bell.

Bring on Jerry Brown and Steve Cooley!
Living in South Rio Linda

United States

#2 Jul 30, 2010
This guy was receiving a disability retirement when he went to work for the city of Montebello drawing a salary. Hey, if someone is receiving a disability retirement and then goes to work and collect a pension, doesn't that mean he is not disabled. This sounds like fraud and embezzlement to me. What gives.
Blinky

United States

#3 Jul 30, 2010
The former mayor of South El Monte Blanca Figueroa did the same.
She is currently receiving disability payments from the state claiming she was hurt while "on the job".
Damn crook!
How do these people keep screwing the cities and communities they work for?
No wonder these bums are booted out of office.
trash talk

United States

#4 Jul 30, 2010
"it happened so fast"
The City was disrespectful to Mr. Narramore.
The overturned a provision of the Montebello Municipal Code which allows the City Administrator to appoint department heads AFTER Mr. Narramore had properly made his choice.
The nicest way to put it was to see it as a "vote of no confidence."
With that Randy had no choice but to leave.
In essence they forced him out and two months pay is an inexpensive settlement.
What did they pay Weast?, Nick Pacheco, Espinio, John Edwards? Kathy Salazar?
Focus on the "pay to play and section 1090 investigations!

“Montebello Homeowner”

Since: Jul 09

Montebello, CA

#5 Jul 30, 2010
Trash Talk is all Trash and one of Molinari's cult members.

How dare you say the council was disrespectful of Narramore.

Narramore is an employee. The ordinance is set by the Council. ONLY the council is elected and is accountable to us. No one elected Narramore. They gave him a contract, and he's supposed to implement their directives not do what he wants with no accountability to anyone. That's the same thing we've had for 20 years.

Now the truth is coming out. Narramore is a crook. He's taking retirement and is getting $15,000 more from the city.

The L A Times is finally poking into the state retirement problem. These overpaid city administrators continue to rob us blind through their retirement. That's Narramore.

When
BTW

Ventura, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2010
Narramore is gone..PERIOD. On to moving ahead-Thanks New Council for starting the CLOCK on the Athens evergreen contract at the last council meeting. Can't wait for you to save us Millions once you get rid of ATHENS!! YES, bring on Jerry Brown and Steve Cooley to investigate all these HUD deals that were made in the past for years and the Athens contract.
Living in South Rio Linda

United States

#7 Jul 30, 2010
Living in South Rio Linda wrote:
This guy was receiving a disability retirement when he went to work for the city of Montebello drawing a salary. Hey, if someone is receiving a disability retirement and then goes to work and collect a pension, doesn't that mean he is not disabled. This sounds like fraud and embezzlement to me. What gives.
I meant to say collects a salary, not collect a pension. But my point is that disability payments should only be paid to people who can't work. It is a disgrace when people think they are entitled to disability payments while they are working at the same time. It should be a crime, in fact.
In the Know

Rosemead, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2010
Narramore was well under paid for the job he did for Montebello. The city is a lot better off for his efforts and the 30G is reasonable to keep his mouth shut about all the back room deals that he tried to fix.
As to Rulon, any police chief that gets a vote of no confidence is one that is actually doing his/her job. Unions hate bosses that require accountability.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#9 Jul 30, 2010
BTW wrote:
Narramore is gone..PERIOD. On to moving ahead-Thanks New Council for starting the CLOCK on the Athens evergreen contract at the last council meeting. Can't wait for you to save us Millions once you get rid of ATHENS!! YES, bring on Jerry Brown and Steve Cooley to investigate all these HUD deals that were made in the past for years and the Athens contract.
Athens has had an evergreen since 1962. The independent haulers also had an evergreen. How do you save millions by getting rid of Athens? My understanding is that the majority of HUD deals, over $50 million went to Hank Atina voted on by Molinari and past councils. I would suggest you read the HUD report and see that Molinari signed the paperwork for the KU HUD deal. No matter how you slice and dice it, Molinari is the one who totally screwed up Montebello.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#10 Jul 30, 2010
In the Know wrote:
Narramore was well under paid for the job he did for Montebello. The city is a lot better off for his efforts and the 30G is reasonable to keep his mouth shut about all the back room deals that he tried to fix.
As to Rulon, any police chief that gets a vote of no confidence is one that is actually doing his/her job. Unions hate bosses that require accountability.
"In the Know" clearly isn't in the know about anything. The illegal transfer of funds from the redevelopment agency to the general fund increased enormously under Narramore. He tried to push his friend into the Chief's position and he should never have settled the police claim. He cost Montebello so much money that he compares with another disaster - Richard Torres.
Bonnie

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Jul 30, 2010
In the Know wrote:
All I know is that Rulon guy knows Community Policing programs. We are using some of his programs from Colton. Friends tell me he is a good Cop.
LOL

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jul 30, 2010
BTW wrote:
Narramore was a cop....always a cop. Maybe thats why some people wanted him out??

Connect the dots......= settlement??
Theolona ranger

United States

#13 Jul 30, 2010
Do the math
transfers went from $0 to a million a month under Rosie's administration

They went from a million dollars a month to $0 a month under Randy.
How is this an increase?
Explain "increased enormously"
The rest of your post is in a similar Orwellian inverse universe.
Theolona Ranger

United States

#14 Jul 30, 2010
Montebello Homoewner states correctly
"The ordinance is set by the Council. "
The ordinance says the City Administrator appoints
the department heads.
Randy had to beg applicants to consider Montebello.
He refers applicants to the City's search firm.
Search firm selects three applicants who then go through two rounds of interviews.
Randy appointed the department head.
Just like he was supposed to do.
Introduction is put on the public agenda.
Newbie Council panics.
Council was disrespectful of the City's municipal code, and Randy.
Now City is in turmoil.
Those facing budget cuts like it that way.
Theolona Ranger

United States

#15 Jul 30, 2010
Article quotes Art
""But when it's all said and done he did us well and we wish him all the best."
sounds about right.
Special Council meetings called for Monday and Tuesday Mornings.
using govt code 54957
"(b)(1) Subject to paragraph (2), nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to prevent the legislative body of a local
agency from holding closed sessions during a regular or special meeting to consider the appointment, employment,...of a public employee "

This section allows the consideration of specific individuals for a specific job description...
in this case interim City Administrator.
It is not the section to be used to talk with, advise, instruct, the City's recruiter, headhunter, or representative.
Closed sessions are not required for interviews and, as Glasman said Wednesday, may not be used to take final action on salaries.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#16 Jul 30, 2010
Theolona ranger wrote:
Do the math
transfers went from $0 to a million a month under Rosie's administration
They went from a million dollars a month to $0 a month under Randy.
How is this an increase?
Explain "increased enormously"
The rest of your post is in a similar Orwellian inverse universe.
Loner, as usual you are completely uninformed. It went from $1.3 million under Torres to over $5 million (or more) under Narramore. Narramore has actually told people that he was "...just following what Torres was doing". Just be patient, Loner, and surely it will come out in the HUD report.
mtb877

Orange, CA

#17 Jul 30, 2010
Theolona Ranger wrote:
Montebello Homoewner states correctly
"The ordinance is set by the Council. "
The ordinance says the City Administrator appoints
the department heads.
Randy had to beg applicants to consider Montebello.
He refers applicants to the City's search firm.
Search firm selects three applicants who then go through two rounds of interviews.
Randy appointed the department head.
Just like he was supposed to do.
Introduction is put on the public agenda.
Newbie Council panics.
Council was disrespectful of the City's municipal code, and Randy.
Now City is in turmoil.
Those facing budget cuts like it that way.
I hope this is not too Orwellian for you Loner. Randy asks friend if he would like to be Chief of Police. Friend says "yes - my private investigator business isn't doing very well at the moment and it may be years before I get my $10 million from Colton." Narramore says to Rulon, "Well, Ken, we have 40 other people who want the job but after all I am the Interim City Administrator." Rulon gets the job. Three council members, not Molinari or Gomez, tell Narramore, "Randy, this appointment of Rulon doesn't smell good. He lost his job in Colton for the same reasons Weast lost his job here in Montebello. We can't vote for him." Narramore runs to Molinari and says to him, "Mayor, you promised you would get three votes!" Molinari, shrugging his shoulders, says, "Randy, it's Cortez and Perez, they're troublemakers and Barajas, well, he doesn't know what day it is. What can I say? But I have an idea - let's appoint my son, Bill Jnr." Narramore, not able to hold it together has a mini breakdown and runs out of City Hall.
Of course, Randy got $30,000 and Rulon will get - what?$150,000. More money running out of City Hall and Montebello tax payers pockets. Thanks, Randy. Thanks, Bill. Wake up, Loner!!!!!
Joy

Parker, AZ

#18 Jul 30, 2010
It sounds like 30G payoff, for what? The 15G he is making a month wasn't enough? You had to pay him so he wouldn't sue you. Where do these council people (all cities) find their white collar employees and why do they get paid so much?
Also, there has to be hundreds of qualified people who have applied for police chief. Why do you pick on that has controversy following him? Who cares what this administrator says about hiring this man? He used to work with him and doesn't like him? So what? Is he so arogant that he thinks he is the bottom line?
You need to give some background on this future chief you are debating. Why not start of fresh and hire someone without drama?
BTW

North Hollywood, CA

#19 Jul 31, 2010
mtb877 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope this is not too Orwellian for you Loner. Randy asks friend if he would like to be Chief of Police. Friend says "yes - my private investigator business isn't doing very well at the moment and it may be years before I get my $10 million from Colton." Narramore says to Rulon, "Well, Ken, we have 40 other people who want the job but after all I am the Interim City Administrator." Rulon gets the job. Three council members, not Molinari or Gomez, tell Narramore, "Randy, this appointment of Rulon doesn't smell good. He lost his job in Colton for the same reasons Weast lost his job here in Montebello. We can't vote for him." Narramore runs to Molinari and says to him, "Mayor, you promised you would get three votes!" Molinari, shrugging his shoulders, says, "Randy, it's Cortez and Perez, they're troublemakers and Barajas, well, he doesn't know what day it is. What can I say? But I have an idea - let's appoint my son, Bill Jnr." Narramore, not able to hold it together has a mini breakdown and runs out of City Hall.
Of course, Randy got $30,000 and Rulon will get - what?$150,000. More money running out of City Hall and Montebello tax payers pockets. Thanks, Randy. Thanks, Bill. Wake up, Loner!!!!!
Here's what I heard from an insider at city hall - the story goes that Barajas was the one that first confronted Randy on this Rulon guy...which surprised Randy because he thought Barajas was going to be one of the 3 votes...the other would have been Gomez. Then Gomez also got on Randy. Perez & Cortez just disagreed with anything Randy did anyways (and because they do whatever Chris Robles and Billy Martinez tell them to do). So, no matter how you cut it Randy had 4 out of his 5 bosses telling him that they had concerns on Rulon...Randy got mad (since he didn't get his way) fired Rulon and quit. And Molinari then cries that the world is going to end because the greatest thing (according to him)that's ever happened to Montebello resigned (Randy). Now keep in mind that none of the council even knew that Randy had hired Rulon. They either found out when they received their agendas or by residents that had seen the agenda on line and called them. Randy and Molinari were the only ones that knew. I agree with you mtb777 something didn't "smell good" and I'm glad Randy's gone.
BTW

North Hollywood, CA

#20 Jul 31, 2010
Oh...and now that Molinari knows that Gomez and Barajas can tell him NO....he's gonna do whatever he can to get Crazy Larry elected in about a year from now-when campaigning starts for the Nov. 2011 elections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sneaky Jack & Vanessa 15 min Enough 5
Crypto Conference 1 hr axel lillsunde 1
News 4 charged in Torrance parks kickback scheme (Oct '08) 3 hr Incredulous 217
Solution to crime 14 hr Kornho Granny 2
Review: Inglewood Lanes (Jan '17) 14 hr INGLEWOOD LANES B... 100
Fergie National Anthem 15 hr ThomasA 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr Trojan 35,558

Huntington Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Park Mortgages