Huntington Park cops shoot, kill unarmed robbery suspect

Full story: LA Daily News

An investigation was under way today into an officer-involved shooting in which Huntington Park police pursued and fatally shot an armed-robbery suspect who turned out to be unarmed, authorities said.
Comments
141 - 156 of 156 Comments Last updated Aug 21, 2013
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Papi Chulo

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

In the 1800ís Ireland experience what is commonly referred to as the potato famine. With this came the poorest of the poor to good ole America where they were allowed free unchallenged passage. These folks were viewed as undesirable and with good reason the crime rate spiked and these folks caused a whole lot of trouble.

In the late 1800ís those Italians also started fleeing from that boot shaped nation. Why you ask well my friend poverty was found to be the great motivator in this case as well. What transpired was the birth of several street gangs with the Irish and Italians not getting along to well. How did those Italians repay the great United States of America, well they joined a guy named Hitler, and a fellow named Hirohito. They only tried to take over the world and hurt our great nation. How is that for gratitude?

I can go on and on. My point being that whenever this country has witnessed an influx of immigrants they tend to bring with them the problems from the old country. Does that make them all bad? The answer is obvious NO. During those days the folks also bashed the new immigrants and blamed them for their problems. Sound familiar?

As for my Asian friends, yes I give them a great deal of credit for their success in this nation despite the various obstacles that they have dealt with over the last hundred years. But, they do have some the most powerful organized crime groups this side of the Pacific.

Now you mentioned "lack of appreciation." This is interesting since a large portion of our military consists of Hispanics. Now I hate the term Hispanic, since I view myslef as an American not a Hispanic American, I just use it as a descriptor. We can also be found in many public service positions. Make no mistake about it Hispanic are very patriotic and love this country for the same reasons that (I assume) you do.
So you see we all have our problems, just give it time.
conservative

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Papi Chulo wrote:
In the 1800ís Ireland experience what is commonly referred to as the potato famine. With this came the poorest of the poor to good ole America where they were allowed free unchallenged passage. These folks were viewed as undesirable and with good reason the crime rate spiked and these folks caused a whole lot of trouble.
In the late 1800ís those Italians also started fleeing from that boot shaped nation. Why you ask well my friend poverty was found to be the great motivator in this case as well. What transpired was the birth of several street gangs with the Irish and Italians not getting along to well. How did those Italians repay the great United States of America, well they joined a guy named Hitler, and a fellow named Hirohito. They only tried to take over the world and hurt our great nation. How is that for gratitude?
I can go on and on. My point being that whenever this country has witnessed an influx of immigrants they tend to bring with them the problems from the old country. Does that make them all bad? The answer is obvious NO. During those days the folks also bashed the new immigrants and blamed them for their problems. Sound familiar?
As for my Asian friends, yes I give them a great deal of credit for their success in this nation despite the various obstacles that they have dealt with over the last hundred years. But, they do have some the most powerful organized crime groups this side of the Pacific.
Now you mentioned "lack of appreciation." This is interesting since a large portion of our military consists of Hispanics. Now I hate the term Hispanic, since I view myslef as an American not a Hispanic American, I just use it as a descriptor. We can also be found in many public service positions. Make no mistake about it Hispanic are very patriotic and love this country for the same reasons that (I assume) you do.
So you see we all have our problems, just give it time.
Good post papi. However, there are some big differences between the examples you provided and our current situation. The main one being the difference between "immigrants" and "illegal immigrants". The main stream medea has done a fine job blurring the line between the two. Everyone who has entered the United States illegally must be deported without exception. Unfortunately many of these people have have had children after they illegally entered the country and they will hold them up as shields against deportation instead of taking responsibility for their crime. This is why Birthright Citizenship to illegal immigrants must end.
HPink

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Judged:

oh gee great now we're turning this into a history lesson...
point of the story that has everyone mad is that he got shot in the back...
so ask yourself this question MXCNBYBIRTH..., regardless the cop, why flee on foot in the first place?
actuals event of the evening was a short lived car pursuit, right???
correct me if i'm wrong, but once an officer broadcasts thru dispatch that they are in pursuit of a fleeing vehicle, ALL available units are to respond as back up and assist the unit in pursuit...
meaning, several officers must have been on his tail or pretty damn close!!
and the first one to haul ass over there would be the patrol sargeant for that shift!
so big woopty-woo if he would have gotten beat up by the cops... it would have been better than having ran and getting killed...
the lawsuit that i'm sure his family is planning against the city could have been done by himself if he would have stopped and thought about it for a quick second... ya ya, a couple months or whatever in jail... he would be alive...
so hmmmmmmm... yes, STUPID for running!!!
and luckily, my family members and friends aren't stupid enough to run from cops... oh wait!i have aunts, uncles, cousins and friends that are cops! from CHP to LAPD to LAX Police to LASD to Military Police... and i'm in backgrounds!
isn't it surprising what good can actually come out of the City of Huntington Park...?
ska

Valencia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

I really don't think any of you have the facts straight. I belive to many kids are beaten or intimidated by the hppd. Sad to see what the city looks like now.
HPink

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

The city looks the way it does now because of the stupid idiots that think they're all tough by writing on walls and trashing the city...
Huntington Park has set up B.I.D.(Business Improvement District) to try and make Pacific Blvd. a more desireable place to shop. The City is trying to clean up and be more appealing, and it obviously needs the help of the officers to punk these lil pricks that keep defacing property that isnt their own...
So i think the correct statement SKA, should be; sad to see what these kids have turned the city into...
ska

Valencia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

You can't blame the kids for the way the city looks like today. I haven't driven on Pacific Blvd. in a while, but last time I drove on the blvd. I did not see any writing on any of the businesses. Very crowded, so much traffic, did not look like that years ago. It was a very nice place to shop as a matter of fact. Don't put all the blame on the kids.
HPink

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

ok, so not the kids? Just recently on a ride with some of my friends of HPPD, we detained a 12 year old BOY (kid) for VANDALISM!!!
This KID is already affiliated with Da Brats, but has been in and out of juvenile hall. We caught him red-handed (actually, blue-handed) crossing out with spray paint "FLORENCIA X3"!!!
He was high and had marijuana on him... AT 12 YEARS OLD!!!
Imagine if someone from Florencia would have passed by and seen what this KID was doing! I'm sure you know what the outcome could have been.
Sure, blame it on the parents... but what good is that going to do when the parents are working to keep food on the table and a roof over their head... Or better yet, its not parents, but parent! You leave your kids in the hands of the streets.
And, although I love my city very much, I'm not going to deny that that is what happens to much of our youth here in Huntington Park. And I'm not just talking about the boys... 12 yr old girls are looking more and more older each day in the way they dress and act! Its the influences of society... the society that the officers of Huntington Park are trying to make better again.
Ya, it is scary to walk alone at night in some streets of HP, but HPPD and city officials are trying their hardest to make our streets safer and more appealing; and that means getting rid of all these kids, punks, gangsters, whatever you wanna call these trouble makers!
Ever wonder why HP has so many community events? Not just because of the high volume of latinos in the area, but to try and bring the community together!
For those of you who want to keep trying to make the city and the officers look bad, get off your computer and drive around HP and really observe the city. Is a trashed city full of graffiti really what you want to live in? Everyone can do their own part in trying to make HP better for everyone. Set an example, for your family, neighbors, COMMUNITY!
Because if you don't do something to help stop crime and 'police harrassment', its never going to end! Stop being scared of the punks on the corner with their bald heads and tattoos! SHOW NO FEAR!
And, if that still doesn't convince you to do your part, well then I guess money talks...
The City of Huntington Park will REWARD $500.00 for information leading to the ARREST & CONVICTION for Graffiti Vandalism!
If you see someone painting the walls, call HPPD right away!

*Eliminating crime and criminals eliminates officer involved shootings*
ska

Valencia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

I do drive around HP have family still living there. I will say again, you cannot put the blame on the kids alone. I have heard to many innocent kids driving or walking that are harrassed for no reason. It has always been that way in HP. Good for the community and the city who are trying to help the youth, but it's not only in HP that police are brutal. It's everywhere. Like they say a few bad apples in the bunch, and everyone is viewd the same. We also have graffiti here but we have volunteers who go and take it off. If I ever see someone writing you bet I would call in a hot second. This tragedy that happened with this young man Should Not Have Happened the way it did, and if you know any of the policers in that dept. you also know it should not have happened! You will always have crime, but dont harass the innocent. Tough World we live in.
HPink

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2009

agreed it should not have happened the way it did...
but lets be honest...
he ran...
he ran for a reason...
common sense tells us all to just stop when we hear the sirens behind us...
getting harassed or even smacked around a couple of times is far better than receiving charges with enhancements, etc., etc...
he shouldve stay put...
he decided not to...
everything happens for a reason...
the officer knows he abused his power...
and now he has to live with that for the rest of his life...
because apart from being an officer, he is still human...
Fred Dawes

Oceanside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

As the U.S.A. Becomes more and more third world mass murder will become normal as it is in all third world so called countries, and mrkdsl murder is normal place in all black and brown so called nation states as we become the world this kind of cop killing will also become normal place and happen 50 or 60 times a day, and killing of unarmed whites by hispanic and black cops never gets reported for political and race reasons, oh well as the USA will become third world and i think that is justice for all the color people in the nation and the world. sad to see this guy klled but god only knows its becoming normal.
man on the moon

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2009

lot of white folks NOT killing police, but killing a lot of their family (wife and kids). which is worst? blacks have been in the US for four hundred years to say, we are making this country a third world country is ludacris,ignorant and racist.
Mexcnbybirth

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2009

man on the moon wrote:
lot of white folks NOT killing police, but killing a lot of their family (wife and kids). which is worst? blacks have been in the US for four hundred years to say, we are making this country a third world country is ludacris,ignorant and racist.
I agree with you soul brother.Racist is the word!
Pedo-the smelly kind

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2009

HPink is a child and Fred is a bad example of human. WORD
HPink

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2009

a child?
far from it...
Pedo-thesmellykind...
i think the child here is you!
the name just gives it away for you...
where do you stand on this issue?
FDK

Lancaster, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

FCK DA KOPS!
If he was unarmed they shouldnt of felt threatened,
R.I.P Stiz,
FDKAYS!
WhyG

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

RIP STIZ wrote:
steven was my boy yea i would go robbing with him and he always looked out for me FDK F**K DA KOPS F***N DIRTY KOPS
U probably a cop or a stupid homie to put him out there like that f@;^
FDk

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huntington Park Discussions

Search the Huntington Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 24 min Brew In 26,730
Manhunt is on for owners of Hermosa Beach's Clu... (Oct '09) 26 min Arcadiao 162
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 27 min Muhammad 18,590
5 Seconds of Summer Announce 2015 North America... 45 min shelly 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr RiccardoFire 200,358
Council rejects Kare offer (Sep '08) 3 hr kare sux 239
Review: Cascade Windows (Jul '10) 4 hr Thoroughly disappointed 45
•••
•••

Huntington Park News Video

•••
•••

Huntington Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••