Cop accused of fondling girl

Cop accused of fondling girl

There are 41 comments on the WANE Fort Wayne story from Aug 28, 2008, titled Cop accused of fondling girl. In it, WANE Fort Wayne reports that:

On Thursday, the Huntington Police Officer accused of sexual misconduct with a minor was in court for the first time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WANE Fort Wayne.

SuzieQ

Goshen, IN

#24 Aug 28, 2008
If you "know about" a similar situation, why don't YOU report it? Indiana State Law says that if you know about a situation and don't do anything about it, that you are just as guilty as the person who actually did the dirty deed. Think about that for a minute!!!
tina wrote:
i know of a similar situation thats
going on in dekalb county. No one has done anything yet about it.
SuzieQ

Goshen, IN

#25 Aug 28, 2008
Another Concerned Citizen, I agree with you totally. But everytime something like this happens, all these people jump up and holler that all police/clergy/public officials are bad. I get really upset when we judge the whole carton on one rotten egg.
Another concerned citizen wrote:
where does this end though? I agree that he should be punished if he's guilty. But why are we putting all police officers in the same boat? Should we not trust any priests, firefighters or anyone else? Don't judge everyone on the mistake of one bad egg. pray for the wife, children and the victim
Personally involved

Jackson, GA

#26 Aug 28, 2008
No she is not my stepdaughter but I have known the family for 15 years.
Helen

Decatur, IN

#27 Aug 28, 2008
I have known this family for a very long time. It is Wikes Mom who needs our thoughts and prayers, certainly not his wife who is less than a moral compass for him. Mr. Wike has been on a crash course with trouble for a very long time, it's just to bad he did not choose another path.
Day_Late_Dollar_ Short

United States

#28 Aug 28, 2008
I have known Bill for many many years. I am a woman who was once a kid who grew up around him and his family. Since becoming a young lady, Bill has had to write me a few speeding tickets here and there. He has also stopped along his way to help me change my tire when it was snowing, while my infant daughter was in the vehicle.NEVER did Bill do anything to make me feel the least bit uncomfortable Do I think Bill did something so horrific, I do not know. There are only 3 people who know what happen. That would be Bill, the victim, and our good lord. I will not pass judgement on this man, nor will I pass judgement on the victm. The way I see it...This situation could go in all different directions....#1 Bill could be set free...# 2 He could, might I note COULD go to jail for something he DID in fact do.....# 3 He could go to jail for something he DID not do..Not my place to judge! However my heart goes out to him and everyone involved in this situation at this time. I am not going to air his personal business on here, however I am appauled by the citizens who have no idea who Bill Wike is as a person, but can sit back and judge this story as if they know the entire situation. As for the person who admitted to being directly involved in the case on here, I would like to think that it's VERY unethical of you to be on a public website airing information. As I said this is a very horrific event for ALL involved, and I pray that everyone will have peace. God Bless Mr. Wike and his family!
ckp37

United States

#29 Aug 28, 2008
JSLJKBJJC wrote:
What in the hell ever happend to innocent until proven guilty??? Everyone should stop the stupid rumors flying around this town. Have some respect for both parties involved.
I agree! You have said it best. This could happen to anyone at anytime. I have known girls to not always be honest about these things. Not saying one way or another but let justice take it's course and stop judging before all of the facts are out!
Anastasia

Zanesville, IN

#30 Aug 28, 2008
In this town you are guilty until proven innocent! This girl has and has had a reputation for sleeping around. She is no Angel!! I feel sorry for the whole Wike family that if and when he is proven innocent his life is still ruined. There are MANY people in this town that support Wike and until you know all of the facts maybe you should not be judging him! And where did the word Molested come from? The report was Sexual Misconduct. There is a Big difference. That is what is wrong, the twisting of words. Get your facts straight!!!
Anastasia

Zanesville, IN

#31 Aug 28, 2008
As for the Huntington Police Dept., they are losing a great cop! He is one of the real ones. The kind you could actually relate to and talk to. He wasn't on a power trip! You felt like he was on your level. He is fair and someone you can depend on. He never tried to be something he wasn't. He is a great friend to many! He always made people laugh! The police force will not be the same without him.
Day_Late_Dollar_ Short

United States

#32 Aug 28, 2008
Anastasia wrote:
In this town you are guilty until proven innocent! This girl has and has had a reputation for sleeping around. She is no Angel!! I feel sorry for the whole Wike family that if and when he is proven innocent his life is still ruined. There are MANY people in this town that support Wike and until you know all of the facts maybe you should not be judging him! And where did the word Molested come from? The report was Sexual Misconduct. There is a Big difference. That is what is wrong, the twisting of words. Get your facts straight!!!
There is a right way and a wrong way to approach this situation. It is one thing to support the Wike's. However it is another to attack the victim. I do see your point about Bill being a great human being. I do not disagree with you about that. I think you need to read my previous post. This situation is not about what we the public really thinks. The only thing that is getting accomplished here is more feelings hurt. Now some could say the posts are hurting the victim, some could say the posts are hurting Bill. The fact of the matter is everyone needs to leave this situation alone and let it be taken care of properly. If Huntington is such a bad town as far as the justice system, I can assure you that Bill and/or his family already know this. Again let them take care of it in peace. And no I am not taking anyone's side. I do believe Bill is a good guy, however like I said in the post before No one knows what really happened. I do not care to know, it's really none of my business. This is between the judicial system, Bill, and the victim. As far as the victim's past, that was wrong of you to make statements about her. Bashing and lashing out at her isnn't helping her or Bill. If you are soo sure you are truly defending Bill, think before you type. Again may God be with the Wike's and all involved in this very horrific and trying time for EVERYONE involved. I personally would not want to be on either side of this, however it would be much easier for the victim and Bill if we all kept our comments to ourselves!
Personally involved

Chicago, IL

#33 Aug 29, 2008
Day_Late_Dollar_Short wrote:
I have known Bill for many many years. I am a woman who was once a kid who grew up around him and his family. Since becoming a young lady, Bill has had to write me a few speeding tickets here and there. He has also stopped along his way to help me change my tire when it was snowing, while my infant daughter was in the vehicle.NEVER did Bill do anything to make me feel the least bit uncomfortable Do I think Bill did something so horrific, I do not know. There are only 3 people who know what happen. That would be Bill, the victim, and our good lord. I will not pass judgement on this man, nor will I pass judgement on the victm. The way I see it...This situation could go in all different directions....#1 Bill could be set free...# 2 He could, might I note COULD go to jail for something he DID in fact do.....# 3 He could go to jail for something he DID not do..Not my place to judge! However my heart goes out to him and everyone involved in this situation at this time. I am not going to air his personal business on here, however I am appauled by the citizens who have no idea who Bill Wike is as a person, but can sit back and judge this story as if they know the entire situation. As for the person who admitted to being directly involved in the case on here, I would like to think that it's VERY unethical of you to be on a public website airing information. As I said this is a very horrific event for ALL involved, and I pray that everyone will have peace. God Bless Mr. Wike and his family!
I never aired any information that wasnt already shown on the website. I am going by what was said in the report that WAS shown on the internet! And as far as someone saying that this girl has been known to sleep around well IF that were true (which in my opinion its not) He is a grown man, a police officer at that, who is suppose to be protecting our children...bottom line is HE KNEW BETTER!!!!!
Day_Late_Dollar_ Short

United States

#34 Aug 29, 2008
Personally involved wrote:
<quoted text>
I never aired any information that wasnt already shown on the website. I am going by what was said in the report that WAS shown on the internet! And as far as someone saying that this girl has been known to sleep around well IF that were true (which in my opinion its not) He is a grown man, a police officer at that, who is suppose to be protecting our children...bottom line is HE KNEW BETTER!!!!!
I never said this girl was known to sleep around...Therefore you probably ought to think things through before you accuse me of saying something that I never said that. I just think if you are personally involved, here is the wrong place for you to be, you might say something you shouldn't either about the victim or the defendant. Yeah your right a grown man should know better about what to do and what not to do, you do not know 100% that Bill did this, unless you were there and have eveidence to back your theory.
JSJLKBJJC

Greenwood, IN

#35 Aug 30, 2008
This will be my last post.... This has gotten way to much coverage as it is. If this were any one else other than a police officer, it would have been on the air for 1 min. 1 day. Bill's life, family, and career are most likely are ruined over a "he said", "she said". I hope any one who know's Bill will stick by his side during this awful period of his life. Did any one read in the report that the 15 yr. old was forced to lie on the floor?(didn't think so). Do we try our childen as adults for murder?(YES)because they know right from wrong? Our are children haveing sex at age 12 and up?(HELL YES) Do our little girls dress like children. Do they wear shirts that say "only real men date cheerleaders"?(YEP) Are they on myspace giving all there info to anyone?(INCLUDING REAL NICE PHOTOS OF THEM SELVES)(YEP) I think I could continue on out of rage, but I wont... I think parents need to wake the hell up. Teach your children some morals and values, make them beleive in them selves and teach them right from wrong. That would be a nice start for our next generation. Lets not wait for years to proclaim someone touched me. I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT, THATS ALL. I PRAY FOR ALL THAT IS INVOLVED.
sassy

Culver, IN

#36 Aug 31, 2008
How can you say things like that who are you to judge that child,He is a grown man. if she does sleep around it still don't give him the right to touch her.
Anastasia wrote:
In this town you are guilty until proven innocent! This girl has and has had a reputation for sleeping around. She is no Angel!! I feel sorry for the whole Wike family that if and when he is proven innocent his life is still ruined. There are MANY people in this town that support Wike and until you know all of the facts maybe you should not be judging him! And where did the word Molested come from? The report was Sexual Misconduct. There is a Big difference. That is what is wrong, the twisting of words. Get your facts straight!!!
abcd

United States

#37 Sep 1, 2008
Just because one person makes a dumb mistake dosen't mean the whole city/county is corrupt or like that, yeah you always have a few bad apples in a group but you can't condem everyone for that, I work with these guys and not all are bad! And as a few have stated INNOCENT untill Proven GUILTY! The thing is even if they find out this girl lied the man is ruind for life he will always have the label now. Everyone is quick to condem but never to find out the whole story...
Concerned Parent

Greenwood, IN

#38 Sep 2, 2008
I guess what I have to say to what is being said here is this..If this was your child saying this I am sure every person here would believe thier child. There is a process to go through here. Let the process take place. If you want to know all the gory details go to the trial and listen to the facts, then you can make your comments at that time. Reguardless of how you feel lets remember something, she is hurting. This is MY Stepdaughter and I would really like for this to go away, but since it is not going to just go away, I am going to stand by my step-daughter and believe every word she has said. You all need to understand that she has seen this happen to other family members and knows the hurt they have gone through. There is no way she would make something like this up.
Jason

United States

#39 Sep 3, 2008
Cops have had sexual contact with other underage members of your family? That raises some questions....
Concerned Parent

Greenwood, IN

#40 Sep 3, 2008
Jason wrote:
Cops have had sexual contact with other underage members of your family? That raises some questions....
No what I am saying is being molested by someone. She has seen this happen and the devastation from it on all sides...This guy just happens to be a cop. My step-daughter would never ever do anything to hurt her mother, so the fact that she is sticking to this, tells me volumes.
john

Huntington, IN

#41 Sep 12, 2008
i am a friend of this girl and it makes me so sick that a person would do this to her. people say that she a has a rep of sleeping around but thats not true. i have known her, her whole life and she is a good person and all she cares about is her moms feelings. yea her mom couldnt do anything about it because she didnt know. the girl was too scared to tell her mom because she didnt know how to say it and was looking out for her moms feelings.
Sure

Clinton, IN

#42 Sep 16, 2013
slg wrote:
It is a sad world if people do not realize that you are innocent until proven guilty! I hate to be the one to say this, but young girls can lie too. Ever heard of false accused.
That's true.. or supposed to be but I wonder why it seems to only be upheld when a police officer is suspected of a crime? I would like to start seeing officers held to a HIGHER standard than others considering the power that they often seem to abuse.
soldier

Hamlin, WV

#43 Nov 24, 2013
Well they ain't perfect and we as the public put to much trust in politicians, police,lawyers,judges,schoolte achers,and PRIEST in this country and if you haven't figured that out than you need to quit being so nieve and look around.GOD said trust no man for your salvation and you sure shouldn't put trust in them for anything else either and wise up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
scottharvey Oct '17 dang midget 4
Randall & Anita Richardson Jul '17 escrow56 1
Looking for old friend Jul '17 Carl 1
Jaime Koontz (Mar '15) May '17 Your mom 9
News 9 area residents arrested during drug sweep by ... (May '17) May '17 harvey 8
News No jail time for Huntington physician who sexua... (Apr '17) Apr '17 easy 1
Huntington Music Thread (Apr '15) Apr '17 Musikologist 3

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages