Lake Havasu trip turns deadly for Ora...

Lake Havasu trip turns deadly for Orange County man

There are 15 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Aug 31, 2009, titled Lake Havasu trip turns deadly for Orange County man. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

A Huntington Beach man who was trying to jump in a river near Lake Havasu on Saturday was killed when he struck several rocks on the way down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

Retired Upland

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Aug 31, 2009
I wonder how drunk he was when he tried his Acapulco cliff dive.
elvisisded

Upland, CA

#2 Aug 31, 2009
At least he only killed himself and didn't hop in his car to run over anyone.
chuck powers

San Gabriel, CA

#3 Aug 31, 2009
ouch
steve

Cintruénigo, Spain

#7 Aug 31, 2009
what a tragic end to the the life of one of the worlds great ädventure ¨sportsman and one of the best surfers to ever come out of huntington beach . john kissel was a man to which NO FEAR was a way of life and a real genetleman .
HOTRODCOBRAFUN

United States

#11 Sep 1, 2009
WE ARE A SMALL COMMUNITY HERE ON THE LAKE, FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAD TO WITNESS SUCH A THING IS HORRIBLE AND THE EMERGENCY CREW RESPONDING TO HELP ...THANK YOU YOUR ARE OUR HEROS. WE ARE ALL FAMILY HERE ON THE LAKE AND ARE SAD TO HAVE SUCH A TRAGIC AVOIDABLE DEATH OCCUR
PLEASE PARTY SAFELY.....
jak

La Puente, CA

#12 Sep 1, 2009
Too much drinking and high speed equipment at that Lake.
Mike H

San Bernardino, CA

#16 Sep 2, 2009
I was surprised to read his age. I thought for sure it would be some stupid teenager.
very sad from HB

Huntington Beach, CA

#18 Sep 2, 2009
He was a Wonderful person!!! you all didnt know him. Its very sad that you can say such things. I'm sure you have all done somthing in your past that was crazy. This was one for him. RIP John, All who knew you LOVED you.
halkshaw

United States

#19 Sep 2, 2009
I have jumped off the rock many times with know problems
D avid

San Diego, CA

#21 Sep 2, 2009
Tuvieja mela pela wrote:
Tom - scrub the sand out of your pastrami hole, its making you cranky.
frijole puke - dont forget what happened to you last week for talking like you had a pair at the park. We found out you wear a thong. Get off your moms computer before you wake her up.
Settle down, Tamale, you'll blow a mole gasket.
RIP Johnny

United States

#22 Sep 4, 2009
He was actually completely sober!
It’s a jump he’d done before…
Hopefully all hearts morn for such a loss…
We’ll miss you so much Johnny!
See you in heaven brother!
Andrew-HB

Yucca Valley, CA

#23 Sep 5, 2009
RIP Johnny you're gonna be missed big time brother.
Darcy - HBRO

Aliso Viejo, CA

#24 Sep 8, 2009
Wow, talk about complete judgement of some of you people. If you knew Kissel and I'm guessing he was completelty sober, you know he wouldn't just fling himself off. What a great guy and he will be missed. Who am I gonna share my HSS special with now?:(
Jeff - OC

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#25 Sep 8, 2009
I saw this happen. It is absolutely haunting! The reoccurring visual, the sound... It is truly tragic with or without alcohol. I am not exactly sure how high this cliff was but I have read a couple of other blog post from people that may not exactly understand where he was jumping from. He was not jumping off of the normal Jump Rock. He had climbed to the highest point to the left of Jump Rock as you faced it. Everyone was yelling for him not to jump. There already is a cross there from someone else who has tried this same tragic jump.
I did not know him. I am sure he was a true adrenaline junkie. Some people say that they can only find true happiness in that state of "now". RIP
cheezies dad

Temecula, CA

#26 Sep 9, 2009
o lord jesus and praisthe lord are the words from johnnys mouth that tell me i will see him again soon love you buddy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greg Haidl, Ex-Con (Jun '08) 2 hr Ray of Reason 82
News Thousands line Bolsa Avenue for annual Tet Parade 10 hr Joe Balls 3
News 5 arrests in Westminster shooting, stabbing (Aug '07) 11 hr Joe Balls 20
News Gang member gets 40 to life for shooting father... (Apr '10) 11 hr Joe Balls 180
Travel to China Sun RubyRose777 1
Review: Bushnell & Assoc - Ronald G Bushnell CPA (Feb '11) Aug 1 fringe 2
News Some 'sanctuary cities' fear lawsuits Jul 24 wild child 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Beach Mortgages