Pa. swim club accused of racism to ask kids back

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

A private suburban Philadelphia swim club accused of racism after it canceled the memberships of dozens of minority children says it will seek a meeting to work out an agreement for the kids to return.
Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Larry Moe and Curly

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 12, 2009
 
Leroy wrote:
Black African-Americans can't swim.
But the white African-Americans sure can.
Leroys White Non Swimmer

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"to ask kids back", WHY?
Ella

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The kids and families ought to take their business somewhere else. I wouldn't risk it. They'll probably have a "mysterious drowning" of a black or hispanic child.
Jim

Antioch, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

What... RACISM in 2009 naw can't be.
Thanks for Reinvite

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Ella wrote:
The kids and families ought to take their business somewhere else. I wouldn't risk it. They'll probably have a "mysterious drowning" of a black or hispanic child.
Hey, this ain't the Rio Grande. Jesse and Al are on their way to protect their voting boons (grandmas), at the behest of President Change.
Enough

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

This is so sad,why can't kid be allowed to be kids? Why bring up what color they are,does it really matter?

I guess it does to some people and this is why racism in this country will never end.
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

5

5

3

The REAL reason was because the club wasn't prepared to handle the number of children the daycare came with. Since there was a large number of kids, it got in the way of paying members trying to use the pool.

They have "canceled" other contracts with a large group of kids because of the same reason.

This is NOT a race issue. Some just insist on making it that way.
Jim

Antioch, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 12, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

pwilson wrote:
The REAL reason was because the club wasn't prepared to handle the number of children the daycare came with. Since there was a large number of kids, it got in the way of paying members trying to use the pool.
They have "canceled" other contracts with a large group of kids because of the same reason.
This is NOT a race issue. Some just insist on making it that way.
Strange Fruit I guess. Who are you kidding, it is documented! Dang, do you live in DaNile, or what?
Ella

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 12, 2009
 
Thanks for Reinvite wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, this ain't the Rio Grande. Jesse and Al are on their way to protect their voting boons (grandmas), at the behest of President Change.
Good! Because if you think racism doesn't exist in the U.S.(or should I say, PA) anymore, you live in a cave smart a**.(You're not going to start with the Hispanic commnets are you? Can you stay focused or do you have your intelligence at the same level of Palin?)
marlin

Long Branch, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 13, 2009
 
Ella, be careful, you cannot spell and
you have a foul mouth!
She is an elected Governor, what is it
you do?
rodney

Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 13, 2009
 
Thank you amy goldman and club members. I hope the kids come back to enjoy your pool and summer god bless.
Momof3

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

3

3

2

pwilson wrote:
The REAL reason was because the club wasn't prepared to handle the number of children the daycare came with. Since there was a large number of kids, it got in the way of paying members trying to use the pool.
They have "canceled" other contracts with a large group of kids because of the same reason.
This is NOT a race issue. Some just insist on making it that way.
The club knew, when the contract was signed, how many children would be attending. All of a sudden, they didn't realize? Yeah, right.
Momof3

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

What's more, there's something totally warped about any adult who looks at a child enjoying themselves in a pool and having a great time and sees nothing but the color of their skin. F'n heartless.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Momof3, I couldn't agree more. The club was fully informed as to the number of children. The club took the group's money and cashed the $1,950 check.

The club says the camp will be re-instated "as long as safety issues, times and terms can be agreed upon."

Shouldn't the club have "agreed upon" these issues when they accepted the camp's check? By accepting the camp's money the club is stating they have the resources in place to deal with these issues.

The scorn and negative publicity directed at both the club and those members (certainly not all members) from this embarrassing incident are well-deserved.
Angelina

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

9

5

3

This may sound off topic to many people. but I have to tell you something that's bothering me for awhile. Watching Mr Obama walking hand in hand with his older daughter may me uncomfortable. if anything he should be walking hand in hand with his wife...! Please thank you very much...!
Momof3

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Angelina wrote:
This may sound off topic to many people. but I have to tell you something that's bothering me for awhile. Watching Mr Obama walking hand in hand with his older daughter may me uncomfortable. if anything he should be walking hand in hand with his wife...! Please thank you very much...!
You have issues. I'm 49 years old and if my father were alive today, I'd hold his hand forever.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Angelina wrote:
This may sound off topic to many people. but I have to tell you something that's bothering me for awhile. Watching Mr Obama walking hand in hand with his older daughter may me uncomfortable. if anything he should be walking hand in hand with his wife...! Please thank you very much...!
Well Angelina, I suppose you find it bothersome when any parent holds their child's hand, correct?

I suppose they should just let their children go unsupervised. You know, let them run across the street and in parking lots. Yes, that certainly seems like a good idea doesn't it?

Angelina, I suggest you seek professional help.
Ella

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

marlin wrote:
Ella, be careful, you cannot spell and
you have a foul mouth!
She is an elected Governor, what is it
you do?
I misspelled one word because I hate typing, get over it MARLIN. Palin is an elected govenor? So?
A "Quitter" no less. Whats your point? Do you have one? No, probably not.
Rodney King

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Can't we all just get along?
marlin

Long Branch, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jul 13, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Ella wrote:
<quoted text>
I misspelled one word because I hate typing, get over it MARLIN. Palin is an elected govenor? So?
A "Quitter" no less. Whats your point? Do you have one? No, probably not.
You sound hateful and not real bright.
What is it you do?
You touched on every word but those.
Are you the "head cooker" at Burger King?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Huntingdon Valley News Video

•••
Huntingdon Valley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Huntingdon Valley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Huntingdon Valley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Huntingdon Valley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Huntingdon Valley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••