In a word, how would you describe Eas...

In a word, how would you describe Easton?

There are 464 comments on the The Morning Call story from Nov 18, 2007, titled In a word, how would you describe Easton?. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Odds are, not too many Lafayette College students passed up the chance to attend Saturday's football game with arch-rival Lehigh University unless they had a really good reason.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#465 Dec 17, 2007
Bethlehem and Palmer are not my heart lies. They are not the cities that welcomed me with open arms. Easton was that city, and it continues to be.

I was not looking to buy that property for $565,000. I was just making a point that Easton housing prices are on the rise.

Sal Panto may not be able to fix Easton on his own, but with our help, he can. Sal Panto did not win the election because of himself alone. Sal Panto won the election because the people of Easton voted for him. The people of Easton saw his potential, and the people of Easton understood his message when he said he will keep his doors open for people to come and speak to him. Sal is not going to run this city on his own. He is going to run the city with our help. I posted on here a week ago that Sal told me to call him and visit him when I returned to Easton. I will certainly do that. I will also attend City Council meetings.

If the people of Easton want Easton to improve, it will. If the people on the outside do not support us, it will not stop our optimism nor will it slow us down. It will just empower us to prove you wrong.
Regular Allentown Guy

Allentown, PA

#466 Dec 17, 2007
What easton needs is a good flood so it can start all over again.
Atown Brown

Chicago, IL

#467 Dec 17, 2007
Regular Allentown Guy wrote:
What easton needs is a good flood so it can start all over again.
Well said. Easton is a dump.
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#468 Dec 17, 2007
I repeat what I said.

"If the people of Easton want Easton to improve, it will. If the people on the outside do not support us, it will not stop our optimism nor will it slow us down. It will just empower us to prove you wrong."

So many people have said negative comments about the city of Easton, but the people who continue to fight for this city have shown their support. Most of the people who support the city are out on the streets and in the restaurants, making the city grow. For those of you who support the city and speak on this forum, I thank you. I spend about 1 hour out of my 24 hour day on this forum responding to these comments when I could be actively investing my time in the city of Easton. I will continue to post on this forum, but half of you do not read what we write.

I sincerely ask you to read what we write before posting your negative comments. The hour I spend and I know other valuable Easton residents spend on this forum could be better spent elsewhere.
darb1981

Cocoa, FL

#469 Dec 17, 2007
I lived in wilson my whole life till 8 months ago when i moved, not because of the city but because of the weather. I hate the cold so i moved to Florida. I do miss Easton very much. It has its ups and downs but for a lot of us no matter where we live now it will always be home. I'm 26 and i dont think us younger people relize what easton is or was. If you wanna get to know Easton google "Buscemi Enterprises", Mr. Buscemi is a great man and can teach you more on Easton than anyone! He makes great calanders of easton and philipsburg. Even though i'm 1200 miles away, i hope you guys all keep Easton safe. Remember, thanks to the Easton assassin everyone knows where Easton is!!!

“Smile for me!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown, PA

#470 Dec 18, 2007
Alan Raisman wrote:
I repeat what I said.
"If the people of Easton want Easton to improve, it will. If the people on the outside do not support us, it will not stop our optimism nor will it slow us down. It will just empower us to prove you wrong."
So many people have said negative comments about the city of Easton, but the people who continue to fight for this city have shown their support. Most of the people who support the city are out on the streets and in the restaurants, making the city grow. For those of you who support the city and speak on this forum, I thank you. I spend about 1 hour out of my 24 hour day on this forum responding to these comments when I could be actively investing my time in the city of Easton. I will continue to post on this forum, but half of you do not read what we write.
I sincerely ask you to read what we write before posting your negative comments. The hour I spend and I know other valuable Easton residents spend on this forum could be better spent elsewhere.
alan your views are appreciated by some here.:)
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#471 Dec 18, 2007
I know, and I appreciate all that you write too. That comment was meant for those who do not respond to what we write. We can not reach out to the politicians, the gang members, or the visitors of Easton until we reach out to the people who are just like you and I. I am here to listen to those who who have spoken both for and against the city of Easton. I am here to follow up on what you want to see improve.

I have received emails about what the city of Easton can do to improve, but I have only seen minimal discussion about that on this forum. In the past week, we have talked about gang violence, and we have shared our ideas. On Thursday, there will a discussion about that exact topic in the South Side of Easton. I ask you to come out, support the city, and talk about what we can do to improve.

I have been able to enter a new city, have articles in two newspapers, and have a private meeting with the Mayor, yet I cannot reach half of the people reading these comments. Meeting the Mayor was not the highlight of my time in Easton. The highlight of my time in Easton was being able to read the comments below. If we can continue to change the people's views, then we can change the entire city of Easton.

The merchants and the volunteers in Easton are good friends of mine, but I would rather hold conversations with the people who do not believe in Easton. They are the ones who will make the most change in Easton. My favorite word in my one word project was surprised. I want everyone who enters Easton to be surprised. I want them to be surprised of the kindness of the people, the beauty of the architecture, and the variety of the stores and restaurants.

If we can achieve that, we can achieve anything. I will strive to achieve that goal. That is why I write what I write. Some of my favorite remarks are below. They are just a little reminder of the history of this forum. I will be returning to Easton tomorrow, and I will stay until the gang and violence meeting ends on Thursday. If anyone would like to discuss anything, please send me an email.

Greynomo 11/18/07
"Good post. If you have time on a spring visit, go up 10th St. and "tour" the cemetary. I mean that seriously...it's amazing. I love Easton. I love Pearly Bakers!"

Eastonrover19 11/19/07
"I'm proud to say I'm from Easton :o)"

Eastonneighbor 11/19/07
"I think that Easton is truly one of the most up and coming areas."

Anathema 11/20/07
"I suggested that a co-worker (who lives in Palmer) visit the Riverside Arts Festival this year...Well, he took a chance and stopped in to the fest, and later told me how surprised he was to find that there were nice people, families, and good music!"

Aginghipster 11/26/07
"An employee at KU has informed my friend and I that Easton is the "best small city in the Nation.""

Skp 11/30/07
"We should ALL work together to make this a better city, one that we can be proud of."

Pollyanna 12/4/07
"Have a positive influence, look for positive things. Smile!"

Comment 12/8/07
"Alan, You live up to the saying "Give it the old college try.""

Hannah2 12/10/07
"The answers are certainly not easy but they are viable - you just need people to work together...."

Citizenx 12/10/07
"being an entrepreneur myself and heavily involved in the business community, i would welcome any sharing of information regarding such that you feel comfortable posting here."

Truth_Seeker 12/10/07
"Alan good luck with finding good solid people to work with you and supporting your effort. I have some ideas that may help you. We could discuss sometime."

Easton Entrepreneur 12/13/07
"I think we are on to something."

“Smile for me!”

Allentown, PA

#472 Dec 22, 2007
so what came of the meeting?
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#473 Dec 22, 2007
Attendants Included:
Dean Young (Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club)
Gary Bertsch (President of the West Ward Neighborhood Partnership)
Merrill Fennell (President of NAACP)
Penelope Moore-Fennell (Vice President of NAACP)
Bonnie Winfield (Director of the Landis Community Outreach Center at Lafayette College)
Amber Zuber (Assistant Director of the Landis Center)
Alan Raisman (President of Pards to People at Lafayette College, only student present)
And others...
We will be setting up a large meeting in the middle school on February 13. It will be from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. The police department should be present, and we will talk about the gangs in Easton, what to look for on the streets, and what programs are out there for the youth so they can be active without being in a gang. We will also try to educate the parents about what they can do to help out their family relationships.
They will have another meeting on January 10 to coordinate everything, but I cannot be there.
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#474 Dec 22, 2007
Thank you for your interest!

“Smile for me!”

Allentown, PA

#475 Dec 24, 2007
Alan Raisman wrote:
Attendants Included:
Dean Young (Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club)
Gary Bertsch (President of the West Ward Neighborhood Partnership)
Merrill Fennell (President of NAACP)
Penelope Moore-Fennell (Vice President of NAACP)
Bonnie Winfield (Director of the Landis Community Outreach Center at Lafayette College)
Amber Zuber (Assistant Director of the Landis Center)
Alan Raisman (President of Pards to People at Lafayette College, only student present)
And others...
We will be setting up a large meeting in the middle school on February 13. It will be from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. The police department should be present, and we will talk about the gangs in Easton, what to look for on the streets, and what programs are out there for the youth so they can be active without being in a gang. We will also try to educate the parents about what they can do to help out their family relationships.
They will have another meeting on January 10 to coordinate everything, but I cannot be there.
That's great. Please journal your activities and what you learn. You can share your information with others not knowing where to start. Do you know if they have meetings like this in Allentown?
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#476 Dec 24, 2007
I am not sure. This is only my second year in the Lehigh Valley, so I am concentrating all of my efforts in Easton. If I hear of anything, I will let you know.
Alan Raisman

Willingboro, NJ

#477 Dec 24, 2007
Merry Christmas everyone!

“Smile for me!”

Allentown, PA

#478 Dec 24, 2007
Alan Raisman wrote:
Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas to you too :)
Easton Resident

Breinigsville, PA

#479 Feb 10, 2008
What Easton needs is a good bulldozing. Nearly every house is outdated, unkept, and not up to code.

“I am correct at times.”

Since: Jun 07

Easton

#480 Feb 12, 2008
Easton Resident wrote:
What Easton needs is a good bulldozing. Nearly every house is outdated, unkept, and not up to code.
Where will you go? And am i to assume that you have been inside every home in easton? Are you familiar with code regulations? Are you sneaking into each house and counting electrical outlets and measuring how far from the floor they are? are you inspecting every bit of the plumbing (in and out) of each house? Do you jump from rooftop to rooftop looking for loose or missing shingles or slates? I live in easton and so does each of my family members (southside, West and palmer Twp. My friends and acquiantances who live in easton are quite proud of their homes. Each of those homes are in fine order. If you're so pressed on putting down the town which you live in....... MOVE!!!! Easton ROCKS!!!
flatlander pa

Whitehall, PA

#481 Feb 15, 2008
the toilet bowl of humanity,waiting to be flushed..
flatlander pa

Whitehall, PA

#482 Feb 15, 2008
Citizen in concern wrote:
<quoted text>
Where will you go? And am i to assume that you have been inside every home in easton? Are you familiar with code regulations? Are you sneaking into each house and counting electrical outlets and measuring how far from the floor they are? are you inspecting every bit of the plumbing (in and out) of each house? Do you jump from rooftop to rooftop looking for loose or missing shingles or slates? I live in easton and so does each of my family members (southside, West and palmer Twp. My friends and acquiantances who live in easton are quite proud of their homes. Each of those homes are in fine order. If you're so pressed on putting down the town which you live in....... MOVE!!!! Easton ROCKS!!!
Are you insane,or just another crack-head. the so called city is the pits, as are most of the poverty stricken bipolar circus people who live there...
Red Rover

Bethlehem, PA

#483 Feb 16, 2008
Never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for people to "dis" on Easton. After reading your comments and talking with friends of mine that live in other cities and areas of the Lehigh Valley, I would say "no different than Bethlehem and Allentown"- these cities also have their share of drug and gang violence, crime and dirt- check out five points in Bethlehem or the 400 to 700 block section of Allentown. Run down, empty stor fronts that are carefully hidden away from North and South Side shopping areas or the Arts District in Allentown- you have drive past a pretty shady neighborhood to get the the museum. I have seen dirty Streets in both of those cities, drug deals etc... Please, stop acting like the rest of the Lehigh Valley is any different than Easton is. Our communities all struggel with the same issues the only difference is that Easton is a community of about 27,000 and the County Seat- home of social services.

My word for Easton is "resilient"- it keeps on fighting against the odds and the opinions of some who are to closed minded to see the beuaty that is here... in the architecture, the business owners, the volunteers and the community.
CyberWeazel

Long Beach, CA

#484 Feb 16, 2008
"resilient"
Excellent word to discribe Easton. Good Post!
Red Rover wrote:
Never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for people to "dis" on Easton. After reading your comments and talking with friends of mine that live in other cities and areas of the Lehigh Valley, I would say "no different than Bethlehem and Allentown"- these cities also have their share of drug and gang violence, crime and dirt- check out five points in Bethlehem or the 400 to 700 block section of Allentown. Run down, empty stor fronts that are carefully hidden away from North and South Side shopping areas or the Arts District in Allentown- you have drive past a pretty shady neighborhood to get the the museum. I have seen dirty Streets in both of those cities, drug deals etc... Please, stop acting like the rest of the Lehigh Valley is any different than Easton is. Our communities all struggel with the same issues the only difference is that Easton is a community of about 27,000 and the County Seat- home of social services.
My word for Easton is "resilient"- it keeps on fighting against the odds and the opinions of some who are to closed minded to see the beuaty that is here... in the architecture, the business owners, the volunteers and the community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntingdon Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Detractors, growing debt dog local builder (Jun '07) May 2 Zeke the Pinhead 3,487
Trevose Apr '16 Cindy St 4
News Anthony P. Fortino | Company executive, 80 (Jan '09) Jan '16 Phil Fortino 6
Review: Kenan Nail SPA Jan '16 John 1
News This wildly popular YouTube star is asking his ... Dec '15 NJDoug 1
Weis Markets Huntingdon Valley is a RIPOFF (Dec '13) Jun '14 irish1 4
News New Weis Opening in Huntingdon Valley (Nov '13) Nov '13 ACME Markets 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntingdon Valley Mortgages