In a word, how would you describe Easton?

Full story: The Morning Call

Odds are, not too many Lafayette College students passed up the chance to attend Saturday's football game with arch-rival Lehigh University unless they had a really good reason.
Comments
1 - 20 of 464 Comments Last updated Apr 18, 2008
First Prev
of 24
Next Last
comment

Seoul, Korea

#2 Nov 18, 2007
How about "dysfunctional"

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

#3 Nov 18, 2007
The pits
BID

Bath, PA

#4 Nov 18, 2007
It depends on what part of town you live in. He should map the results to were people live in Easton. Being an outsider, I would still say "dirty", but I only go there when I have to, which is about once every 5 years.
GSB

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Nov 18, 2007
This guy deserves a ton of credit for caring enough just to ask the question. I'll be interested to see how people respond to the same question in 5 years.
be nice

Bangor, PA

#6 Nov 18, 2007
scummy
Joe

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Nov 18, 2007
Easton is a dump. I hate going there.
citizenX

Allentown, PA

#8 Nov 18, 2007
i'm curious to know how many of those commenting here have actually been to Easton recently, what part of the city did you visit, and why were you there?
Native Eastonian

Whitehall, PA

#9 Nov 18, 2007
Dangerous.
hmmm

Clementon, NJ

#10 Nov 18, 2007
how about "garbage"
hmmm

Clementon, NJ

#11 Nov 18, 2007
citizenX wrote:
i'm curious to know how many of those commenting here have actually been to Easton recently, what part of the city did you visit, and why were you there?
I as there in october.. I went through center city.. I came off of 22 to the 5th street exit i believe.. I drove down and around the cicle thing there, and to be quite honest, its a discusting little city, that I probably should have avoided.. really wasnt impressive at all.. Nothing has changed since I left the valley, and probably will only get worse...

“Be careful what u pretend 2 B”

Since: Jun 07

Lehigh Valley

#12 Nov 18, 2007
DRUGSTORE
Native Eastonian

Whitehall, PA

#13 Nov 18, 2007
No neighborhood in Easton is safe. College Hill used to be a place where you could walk without fear at anytime of day or night; not anymore. The other neighborhoods have been increasingly dangerous for years.

Pretty facades in the business district belie a disturbing rise in property thefts and violent crime - much gang related. The police department is attempting to overcome years of distrust, but has recently reverted to the same old same old (e.g. drunken keystone cops going unpunished after leaving evidence around and driving drunk through store windows).

The city's economic woes have manifest in the decay of the city's parks and recreation system. Lachenour, Sullivan, and Centennial Parks are shadows of what they used to be. Weeds are overgrown and facilities are not maintained. It's easy to find a summer mowing crew sleeping in their trucks at Sullivan Park while the grass and weeds go ignored.

It's my town, and it's never been paradise, but it used to be a decent place to live. Now, it's just damn dangerous.
Easton Stinks

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2007
HOw About C.r.a.p.h.o.l.e.

“Be careful what u pretend 2 B”

Since: Jun 07

Lehigh Valley

#15 Nov 18, 2007
no kidding we went to the State a while back, within 3 blocks of the theatre, we witnessed 3 drug deals, out in the open.

holy spit!
Tree_Huggin_Hipp ie

Kutztown, PA

#16 Nov 18, 2007
Historic
Local

Northampton, PA

#17 Nov 18, 2007
The answer is relevant to what part of town:
Downtown is "Mexican"
Southside is "Gangs"
College Hill is "Lafayette"

Overall, I'd say "Diverse" like anywhere else in America...
Ummm

United States

#18 Nov 18, 2007
Hopeless
Lafayette parent

AOL

#19 Nov 18, 2007
I first want to say that this student sounds like an amazing young man! I visit Easton regularly to visit my son who attends Lafayette. I am always impressed by the quaintness and historical feel of the community. I have dined at several fine restaurants downtown and in the local area, and visited many local stores. My impression continues to be very positive. My one word to describe Easton is "under-rated".
the little guy

Allentown, PA

#20 Nov 18, 2007
mr. mitman do hear this? oh yeh, your leaving for the lvedc for $125,000 per year.

Since: Jul 07

Bangor, PA

#21 Nov 18, 2007
Easton is a city of promise - but people have to be willing to change -all the controvery surrounding every new project is not the way to have your city grow...people who want things to 'stay the way they always were' must realize that Easton will soon become a dying city if they do not embrace the vision of growth and prosperity that change will bring..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntingdon Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 11 hr Mr Johnson 3,933
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 11 hr Yoda 51,313
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 17 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
Abington launches red-light camera program Aug 13 hattrickmom 1
Review: Romp n' Roll Jul '14 willowgrovePAromp... 1
Weis Markets Huntingdon Valley is a RIPOFF (Dec '13) Jun '14 irish1 4
Review: Old World Sausage Factory Jun '14 Erin 1
•••

Huntingdon Valley News Video

•••
•••

Huntingdon Valley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••