Fire depts.compete with jobs, sports ...

Fire depts.compete with jobs, sports for a recruit's attention

There are 4 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jun 12, 2010, titled Fire depts.compete with jobs, sports for a recruit's attention. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Fighting fires as a volunteer is not a job for everyone, according to Chief Dusty Stoner of Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren Volunteer Fire Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Misleading

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Jun 13, 2010
Chief Stoner, you are misleading potential recruits. You do not have to leave your daughters birthday party, or your sons ballgame when your beeper goes off. It is your choice to leave, no one says you have to go.
PA Resident

Saint Thomas, PA

#2 Jun 13, 2010
I agree with misleading. I'm sure this will sounds somewhat bad, as I do not intend it too. I respect very much what firefighters do, as well as the EMS technicians. If my house was on fire I would want them there. However, from what I notice out of local "volunteer" fire companies is that they have overwhelming amounts of support, as well as money. In my opinion they have too many volunteers running around, I know this because I have been run off the road more than once by local "volunteers" responding to a fender bender with 10 firetrucks. I won't even get started on the fire policeman.
Volunteer4Life

Newville, PA

#3 Jun 13, 2010
Like I tell everyone...When it's not your house, We're too fast, When it is your house, We're too Slow!
PA Resident, I'm sure your not aware, but your statement of "overwhelming support" & "too many firefighters" is def! not true. There are more than 5 FD's in Franklin County that are lucky to have 10 active FF/EMT's, 1 still has to have someone come in from time to time to fill the wood stove for heat in the winter and another still has a room or 2 with dirt floors.
The whole leaving your daughters party thing, Citizens will NEVER!!! understand what a firefighting family is like unless you join it.
If we had all the support in the world, there would be no fire company bingo's,tractor pulls,carnivals,concerts,cooko uts,softball tourneys all of which to raise the money we so desperatley need! W/O the fundraisers...no fire's get put out, no lives get saved by the shock from an AED to restart a beatless heart. As you can probably tell I take GREAT PRIDE in the fire company I belong too and the firetrucks I ride everyday to save "yours"!
Go to your local FD and apply! And...working where I work, I can tell you that a "fender bender" doesnt get 10 firetrucks...but nice try
Say What

Reading, PA

#4 Jun 14, 2010
PA Resident wrote:
I agree with misleading. I'm sure this will sounds somewhat bad, as I do not intend it too. I respect very much what firefighters do, as well as the EMS technicians. If my house was on fire I would want them there. However, from what I notice out of local "volunteer" fire companies is that they have overwhelming amounts of support, as well as money. In my opinion they have too many volunteers running around, I know this because I have been run off the road more than once by local "volunteers" responding to a fender bender with 10 firetrucks. I won't even get started on the fire policeman.
I would suggest you go to some of your "local volunteer" depts and ask for two things.

The first is the call roster showing the numbers of volunteers per call and the second is a spread sheet showing income versus expenses, to also include where the income is generated and where the expenses go!!

I will agree with one part of your post and that is the critical need to SLOW DOWN!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Juniata River Search Continues (Jan '12) Sep '16 Fresh 2
News United in grief Aug '16 tell it like it is 4
News Abducted person case becomes double homicide (Jun '06) May '16 Brian 18
News Mount Union PA Snapshot of a Small Town (May '08) Apr '16 Jerry 67
News Thousands attend Erie's Wine on the Lake (Apr '16) Apr '16 Sopper Kobinski 7
Bafia Builders (Sep '15) Sep '15 Anonymous 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Huntingdon, PA (Aug '10) Aug '15 sfl 71

Huntingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntingdon Mortgages