A state board allows accused pastor t...

A state board allows accused pastor to resume counseling

There are 7 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jun 21, 2010, titled A state board allows accused pastor to resume counseling. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

A Lutheran minister accused of misconduct last year told a state board he was suffering from depression at the time because of burnout in his job as pastor and trouble in his marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Ephrata, PA

#1 Jun 21, 2010
What a joke this is. Wasted taxpayor money. Put him in jail and get it over with.

Since: Jun 10

York, PA

#2 Jun 22, 2010
MAN wrote:
What a joke this is. Wasted taxpayor money. Put him in jail and get it over with.
It would cost taxpayers much, much more to "put him in jail." Is that the answer to any offense? Just "put him in jail"?

Manheim, PA

#3 Jun 22, 2010
if we put every man in jail who asked for sex society would not exist.

Erie, PA

#4 Jun 23, 2010
Jail does cost a lot of money, however sexual harrassment, indecency, molestation, and any other sexual offence should be taken just as seriously as murder in my book. The victim (male or female) in those situations have a piece of their life and a piece of their being taken from them & it's not something they ever recover from. I'm ok with higher taxes if i know all the criminals are being taken off the streets.
one of the 5 percent

Hummelstown, PA

#5 Jun 23, 2010
Someone needs to recheck the math. As a member of his previous congregation, I would venture to say that a much higher percentage of his old congregation are disgusted by his actions. There are many who believe he should no longer be able to counsel or to participate in any pastoral duties.
Broken Trust

Hummelstown, PA

#6 Jun 23, 2010
I am confused and angry regarding Bishop Hoover's quote regarding Wenrich's reinstatement into a church. The Bishop felt that Wenrich had shown "sufficient repentance and amendment of life".

Isn't part of repentance and amendment of life admitting your errs to those who have been wronged ? The people of Wenrich's church, his clients, and friends trusted him as both their minister and counselor. That trust was broken when this criminal act occurred. I truly believe in forgiveness, but where was/is the apology to the members of his parish, the clients of his practice and his friends? As far as I am aware as someone who fits into all the above categories no such apology occurred. So perhaps the Bishop and the Judges saw this "amendment of life" but what about the individuals this affected on a personal level, those who trusted him with their hearts and souls. If an apology cannot be given to those people how can Wenrich go before those same individuals and offer them communion and forgiveness.

It appears the decisions to admit Wenrich back into the church as a pastor and into society as a counselor have been made by those who were not subject to this mistrust. Where is the remorse and redemption coming from, is it truly the desire to be a servant of God and those in need?
Pastor Liz

York, PA

#7 Jul 2, 2010
Dear Broken Trust et.al.
I want you to know that not everyone agreed with how this was handled by the Bishop's office, and share your concern for the congregation, church at large, survivors and larger witness.
I think our constitution makes the discipline of pastors murky. Both the care for the pastor and his/her discipline, as well as the care of the congregation, lie in the Bishop's office. I think the infrequency with which these things occur lead us to a lack of preparedness and experience in dealing when they do.
Please know that we're working on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hummelstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Hershey Company Address (Jan '06) Sep '16 Nannels 394
York peppermint pattie Sep '16 yuck 2
Females only Sep '16 Jay 1
Do Derry Township Police Officers have a bad re... (Jan '08) Aug '16 good-2 57
News Police blotter (Jan '09) Aug '16 mister d 2
Smoking buddy around Marietta PA (females only) Jul '16 JohnD 1
News Cop who fatally shot motorist in back cleared o... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Dan 4

Hummelstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance