In a better world, we wouldn't keep a...

In a better world, we wouldn't keep animals in captivity

There are 49 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Mar 7, 2010, titled In a better world, we wouldn't keep animals in captivity. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

San Diego Zoo, 1960 -- I'm 10 years old and it's my first visit to a zoo. My parents and I walk past cages full of fascinating animals for several hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Back On Earth

Santa Rosa, CA

#42 Mar 10, 2010
fun time wrote:
100 years ago there were many places that still had open land for animals to run free. Now there are more people and more people and more people with more concrete to come.
This is happening all over the world. What part of this do you not understand.
I love animals but I don't intend to let a herd of wild ones in my back yard.
And I will not support Neely if she paid me.
Actual solutions to local environmental degradation is soooo inconvenient!
Dumb.
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#43 Mar 11, 2010
Jeff E wrote:
<quoted text>
Your original statement was so ludicrous Dave, that I laughed out loud!
Exactly how do you know it was "longing"? If it was longing for something, how the hell did you determine it was longing for home? Maybe it was hungry. Maybe it was horney. Dave, it is not smart enough to even know what "home" is. It cannot read a map. Mommy did not tell him about Panama, Columbia or even Venezula.
I read somewhere that the smartest animal in the world isn't as smart as a two year old human. They don't worry about their grandchildren's future, income taxes or where they will go on vacation next year. They are searching for their next meal. They are mostly instinct driven because their brains are tiny & their mental capacity simply isn't there.
I'm glad to hear you had a good laugh Jeff. Humor is the best medicine.

I was speaking as a ten-year old when I said the rat was longing for home and sad. That's just what I thought then.
As a logical adult, I realize it's not possible to interupt (with any degree of accuracy) what animals are thinking at all times.

That doesn't change my stance on zoos. I'm still against them and contend that keeping creatures in captivity is a capitalistic way to exploit them.

What if we (humans)weren't on top of the pecking order here on earth, and another creature was so much more advanced than us that they put us in cages to study, and entertain audiences?

Just a thought...
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#44 Mar 11, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad to hear you had a good laugh Jeff. Humor is the best medicine.
I was speaking as a ten-year old when I said the rat was longing for home and sad. That's just what I thought then.
As a logical adult, I realize it's not possible to interupt (with any degree of accuracy) what animals are thinking at all times.
That doesn't change my stance on zoos. I'm still against them and contend that keeping creatures in captivity is a capitalistic way to exploit them.
What if we (humans)weren't on top of the pecking order here on earth, and another creature was so much more advanced than us that they put us in cages to study, and entertain audiences?
Just a thought...
So what do you suggest as a way to save endangered species from disappearing forever?
Yes they could be placed into open parks, protected areas but that costs even more than zoos
and plus there is almost always a fight over the land use.
It's being done in many areas around the world now but people keep encroching on the land, poachers kill the animals for food or other reasons.

The wolves in Yellowstone and various areas in Africa are good examples of the problems with trying
to keep them free and safe.

It's easy to say "I don't like zoos and they are terrible" but a lot more difficult to come up with other viable solutions that are cost friendly.
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#46 Mar 11, 2010
fun time wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest as a way to save endangered species from disappearing forever?
Yes they could be placed into open parks, protected areas but that costs even more than zoos
and plus there is almost always a fight over the land use.
It's being done in many areas around the world now but people keep encroching on the land, poachers kill the animals for food or other reasons.
The wolves in Yellowstone and various areas in Africa are good examples of the problems with trying
to keep them free and safe.
It's easy to say "I don't like zoos and they are terrible" but a lot more difficult to come up with other viable solutions that are cost friendly.
Fun Time,
See Post #18
You may not agree with it, but it's an alternative.
Back On Earth

Santa Rosa, CA

#47 Mar 16, 2010
It took 150 years to impair 90% of California's streams and to fill 95% of its wetlands, according to the Ca. Dept. of Fish and Game. It will take generations to change our behavior...

THE ONLY SOLUTION!

As if this history never existed, local developers, financiers and Realtors are poised to begin the next building bubble, they are once again financing the candidates in local elections to rubber-stamp the zoning and land-use changes required to continue their public subsidies for sprawl,(using public wealth on infrastructure needed to develop resource lands acquired cheaply...because it's miles from downtown!).

THIS IS HOW HABITAT IS LOST ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!

H.D. Thoreau once asked why so many Americans traveled, "if it's not paradise in your community, go downtown and change it".

This is PRECISELY what the developers have done, but their "economic paradise" devastates our wild, riparian, reaource
lands and headwaters while robbing our treasury.

As long as the average citizen and our media aren't paying attention to local development interests, history WILL BE repeated.

Get involved, NOW!

THOUSANDS more units are being planned right now for Cutten, Mckinleyville, Humboldt Hill, Myrtletown and Fortuna, MILES from downtown. Homes that 75% of local citizens cannot afford (according to the Humboldt Builder's Assoc. and Healthy Humboldt), but we all subsidize it in our water/sewer bills, traffic, lost habitat, wildlife and resource lands.

Are we not INSANE to continue a model that doesn't pay for its own impacts, but makes a few folks rich and capable of rigging the system?
anonymous

Georgetown, TX

#48 Mar 20, 2010
I didn't read it all, but if a 10 year old wrote
the letter Jeff E. is a PHD. I love Dry Lagoon.
One day driving out the cutest baby bear was sitting in the middle of the road. I Stopped. He
ran. I picked up a beautiful lost dog that day.
Found his owner. Saw a Lynx crossing the Arizona
dessert one night at 3:00 AM. This was awesome.
A Elk followed us one day at Fern Canyon. He was
curious. We were a little scared and giggled. We
that day also saw a young bear. At Lion Ranch up
by Betty Ford Forest we saw a Bob cat. He eyed the
dog and went on. What in hell do you need a zoo for. You have the ocean, you have everything in
nature right here. To have what you call exotic
animals comes from needy small minds that have little or nothing going for them. Take up bird
watching it is all here.
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#49 Mar 20, 2010
anonymous wrote:
I didn't read it all, but if a 10 year old wrote
the letter Jeff E. is a PHD. I love Dry Lagoon.
One day driving out the cutest baby bear was sitting in the middle of the road. I Stopped. He
ran. I picked up a beautiful lost dog that day.
Found his owner. Saw a Lynx crossing the Arizona
dessert one night at 3:00 AM. This was awesome.
A Elk followed us one day at Fern Canyon. He was
curious. We were a little scared and giggled. We
that day also saw a young bear. At Lion Ranch up
by Betty Ford Forest we saw a Bob cat. He eyed the
dog and went on. What in hell do you need a zoo for. You have the ocean, you have everything in
nature right here. To have what you call exotic
animals comes from needy small minds that have little or nothing going for them. Take up bird
watching it is all here.
Great grammer, tense and imagination, can almost understand your unusual foreign language???
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#50 Mar 20, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Fun Time,
See Post #18
You may not agree with it, but it's an alternative.
I don't disagree but kids might as well read books, science mags, etc. If this is the way of the future
it will be sad.
As usual the best way will cost big bucks and considering the latest $$$$ meltdown I doubt to many with a lot of money will give it up for wild animals.
I also doubt governments will be very generous in the future.
Maybe far enough in the future there will be less people and the animals will survive.
Beth

United States

#52 Apr 2, 2010
Thank you, Dave Stancliff, for your opinion about zoo animals. I have never been able to go into Eureka’s Sequoia Park Zoo. I am afraid of looking into sad eyes like those Dave experienced as a child. For several years now, I’ve been telling my friends how much I’d like to see zoos disappear and something else take their place.

I’m a fan of the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee. Their “elecam” is my homepage where I watch any number of elephants roam their 2,700 acre home. Anyone who wants to see live goats, until recently could view them munching around the National Guard Armory near the zoo in Eureka.

Let’s explore the future of our local Sequoia Park Zoo and its creatures, to see what type of animal preserve or reserve or sanctuary we can morph it into. Why not show our children that we carry our caregiving into the animal world as another integral part of our glorious environment?

My gratitude to Dave Stancliff for taking this huge step in enlightening the fans of zoos, for giving me the courage to speak out; zoos are cruel to the captive animals they display. Whether the City of Eureka decides to keep funding our zoo or contracts out the zoo’s upkeep, as the people of Eureka, we need to make sure we are setting this zoo on a path of correction, of true animal care. I’d love to visit a new “Sequoia Park Animal Reserve”.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hume Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loudmouth DEFICATED. 1 hr Bruiser 1
Scumbag LOUDMOUTHLOONey COLLECTING a STATE check 2 hr Bruiser 2
Loudmouth Born Looser Semen Boy Toy 2 hr Bruiser 2
Target 8 Inches in Loudmouth fundio! 2 hr Bruiser 2
Loudmouth destiny of a manho 2 hr Bruiser 2
LoudmouthLooney the manboy toy guzzler of semen 2 hr Bruiser 2
John rankin the sniveling coward / LOOneyLoudmo... 4 hr payYour WaterBill 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hume Mortgages