In a better world, we wouldn't keep a...

In a better world, we wouldn't keep animals in captivity

There are 49 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Mar 7, 2010, titled In a better world, we wouldn't keep animals in captivity. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

San Diego Zoo, 1960 -- I'm 10 years old and it's my first visit to a zoo. My parents and I walk past cages full of fascinating animals for several hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Golly

Windsor, CA

#1 Mar 7, 2010
A shift away from having animals in captivity to what? This gang wants to close our zoo without replacing it with a comparable family event attraction. Larry's war on families continues.
Jack

Montgomery, WV

#2 Mar 7, 2010
Dave, you are spot on!

Home Sapiens, by evolutionary luck, are the current species that holds other species in captivity. West of Eden, by Harry Harrison, poses another possibility and Daniel Quinn’s Ishmael tells an interesting story from the gorilla’s perspective.

You’re going to get response from those who think it’s their [god-given right]‘right’ to hold captive any animal on the planet. They are not critical thinkers (see first comment posted) and merely regurgitate what they’ve been taught.

Some, me included, could easily extend your preference for zoos to holding ANY species in captivity – including domestic “pets.” Now there’s a topic sure to raise the ire of more than a few.
Lynn

United States

#3 Mar 7, 2010
I totally agree with you. It's selfish of us to
keep these large animals in captivity. Bill the
chimp was a sad story. Throwing feces at people was
all he could do to communicate his frustration. They are social animals just like you and I. With
the advances of film and photography we don't need
the zoo. Save your zoo admitance fee and go see them in the wild. Make the zoo a picnic and BBQ
grounds.
Robert A

Coeur D Alene, ID

#4 Mar 7, 2010
Lynn wrote:
I totally agree with you. It's selfish of us to
keep these large animals in captivity. Bill the
chimp was a sad story. Throwing feces at people was
all he could do to communicate his frustration. They are social animals just like you and I. With
the advances of film and photography we don't need
the zoo. Save your zoo admitance fee and go see them in the wild. Make the zoo a picnic and BBQ
grounds.
I feel the same as you Lynn. Let the animals be wild !!!
Red Foreman

San Lorenzo, CA

#5 Mar 7, 2010
Free the animals, lock up all the vagrants and bums in there place.
Lynn

United States

#6 Mar 7, 2010
And let's not forget the bears that were killed
because they weren't pretty enough for the new
bear cage. Because they were old and had calouses
from living their lives on cement.
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#7 Mar 7, 2010
Oh for God's sake Dave, it was a RAT! It doesn't "long for home". As long as it is fed it is happier than in the wild where every day is a struggle against death by starvation, by being eaten alive.

Today's people have lost all perspective. They try to put human feelings on animals. They grew up on silly Disney movies made by cynical producers out for a buck. In real life, Bambi did not grow old & play with his grandchildren peacefully by the river bank. Bambi made it to his third year when he was torn apart by a mountain lion & devoured alive.
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#8 Mar 7, 2010
I'm not a lover of animals in captivity but the other side is what do you propose in order to save many of them from extinction?
There is less and less animal habitat every day due to more and more human habitat taking there natural areas away from them.
All over the world animals are losing out due to human consumption.
Wolves were reintroduced in Yellowstone in the 90s and now have made a wonderful comeback. But ranchers, urban blight nearby are complaining and trapping, shooting them, some legally many illegally.
The Amazon rain forest is being destroyed by thousands of acres every day by bulldozers, Africa, Asia doing the same. Also coral reefs and the North and South Poles are losing ground.
GOOD zoos are needed more than ever to preserve the animals from disappearing forever.
You can rant and rave about freeing them into the wild, not capturing any others all you want but that will not save them in the long run.
The earth's population is growing by leaps and bounds. There are close to
7 billion people now and projections of over 8 billion by 2020.
The only way to save wild animals is with enclosed areas in the future. Open areas like Yellowstone, the Amazon, African deserts and jungles will not be large enough as they keep going under the feet of humans.
Sad but true.
Some people will say it can be done, just stop the destruction of wildlife areas. Get real, that is not going to happen.
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#10 Mar 7, 2010
Jeff E wrote:
Oh for God's sake Dave, it was a RAT! It doesn't "long for home". As long as it is fed it is happier than in the wild where every day is a struggle against death by starvation, by being eaten alive.
Today's people have lost all perspective. They try to put human feelings on animals. They grew up on silly Disney movies made by cynical producers out for a buck. In real life, Bambi did not grow old & play with his grandchildren peacefully by the river bank. Bambi made it to his third year when he was torn apart by a mountain lion & devoured alive.
And exactly how do you know that the rat was happier in the zoo than the wild Jeff? Are you a "rat talker" that can discern their wishes? Just curious...
Circle of Jerks

Eureka, CA

#11 Mar 7, 2010
Red Foreman wrote:
Free the animals, lock up all the vagrants and bums in there place.

Don't forget the tweakers!
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#12 Mar 7, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly how do you know that the rat was happier in the zoo than the wild Jeff? Are you a "rat talker" that can discern their wishes? Just curious...
By all means start a "Save The Rats Foundation". You are sure to succeed as there are so many rat lovers world wide, especially in the large cities of the world.
Please get back to us with your rat tails (pun intended) of success.

We will be on edge until we can visit the many rat zoos that will be constructed for them.
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#13 Mar 7, 2010
fun time wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means start a "Save The Rats Foundation". You are sure to succeed as there are so many rat lovers world wide, especially in the large cities of the world.
Please get back to us with your rat tails (pun intended) of success.
We will be on edge until we can visit the many rat zoos that will be constructed for them.
FYI - As stated in the column the animal in the cage was a Capybara - part land and part sea mammal in the rodent family-different genus.

I was giving the reader a kid's-eye view, which was that it "looked" like a giant rat to a ten-year old.
So no rat zoos. Maybe Capybara zoos.
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#14 Mar 7, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI - As stated in the column the animal in the cage was a Capybara - part land and part sea mammal in the rodent family-different genus.
I was giving the reader a kid's-eye view, which was that it "looked" like a giant rat to a ten-year old.
So no rat zoos. Maybe Capybara zoos.
Look up the definition of satire, irony, sarcasm and then LOL
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#15 Mar 7, 2010
fun time wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the definition of satire, irony, sarcasm and then LOL
I'm going along with the satire...Capybara zoos instead of...oh forget about it.
You missed my attempt at satire about as badly as I missed yours.
Back On Earth

Santa Rosa, CA

#16 Mar 7, 2010
Dave, you may not be a professional biologist but you sure nailed this one. Animals are best observed in the wild where their behaviors are complex, astounding, and poorly understood. Many who have spent time hiking in the wilderness know this.

I too visited the San Diego zoo as a young child; fascinating how the large primates throw their feces at the crowds, make no mistake about this international instinct in captivity, it's not a "happy" one.

If we cared about extinction we would be recreating their habitat, with no human contact whatsoever, in preparation for release. It's rarely successful in the best circumstances.

Thanks to our budget crisis we have the opportunity to return the Sequoia Park Zoo to its highest potential as a model for our children to learn reverence for their environment. We can showcase local animal life, habitats and ecosystems for a fraction of the cost. There's enough to fill 2 zoos, with the potential of many volunteers.

If the adults begin to model an interest in the local environment, maybe our children will learn to respect it.

How sad to spend an entire life in a fascinating environment, having never witnessed one of the largest salamanders on Earth taking 20 minutes to devour one of the largest slugs on Earth.

The Pacific Giant...

fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#17 Mar 7, 2010
Back On Earth -" If we cared about extinction we would be recreating their habitat, with no human contact whatsoever, in preparation for release. It's rarely successful in the best circumstances."

Again I say - I'm not a lover of animals in captivity but the other side is what do you propose in order to save many of them from extinction?
There is less and less animal habitat every day due to more and more human habitat taking there natural areas away from them.
Wolves were reintroduced in Yellowstone in the 90s and now have made a wonderful comeback. But ranchers, urban blight nearby are complaining and trapping, shooting them, some legally many illegally.
The Amazon rain forest is being destroyed by thousands of acres every day by bulldozers, Africa, Asia doing the same. Also coral reefs and the North and South Poles are losing ground.
GOOD zoos are needed more than ever to preserve the animals from disappearing forever.
You can rant and rave about freeing them into the wild, not capturing any others all you want but that will not save them in the long run.
The only way to save wild animals is with enclosed areas in the future. Open areas like Yellowstone, the Amazon, African deserts and jungles will not be large enough as they keep going under the feet of humans.
Sad but true.
Some people will say it can be done, just stop the destruction of wildlife areas. Get real, that is not going to happen.

So realistically what do you and others with the knowledge propose that might work. Keeping in mind even the areas where wildlife is still allowed to run free those areas are closing in more and more. Even the preserves around the world are subject to closure (politics, war, money, especially more people, etc).

I realize LOTS of money and intelligent politics would be a very big help but that too isn't about to happen. There will usually be some preserves around but no guarantees as the population grows.
Dave

Mckinleyville, CA

#18 Mar 7, 2010
fun time wrote:
Back On Earth -" If we cared about extinction we would be recreating their habitat, with no human contact whatsoever, in preparation for release. It's rarely successful in the best circumstances."
Again I say - I'm not a lover of animals in captivity but the other side is what do you propose in order to save many of them from extinction?
Sad but true.
So realistically what do you and others with the knowledge propose that might work. Keeping in mind even the areas where wildlife is still allowed to run free those areas are closing in more and more. Even the preserves around the world are subject to closure (politics, war, money, especially more people, etc).
I realize LOTS of money and intelligent politics would be a very big help but that too isn't about to happen. There will usually be some preserves around but no guarantees as the population grows.
I suggested technology. For example, a Virtual Zoo. Using current 3-D technology and perhaps holograms and animation techniques....and you might have the answer. It's an alternative.
craig

Lincoln City, OR

#19 Mar 7, 2010
What a loser!
truthful 1

Eugene, OR

#20 Mar 7, 2010
Without a zoo children would never see a monkey, camel, elephant or any number of animals. What happened to the "educational" aspect of the zoo.
It is pleasing for many to see animal in real life instead of pictures, movies or video games.
The animals that are in captivity do not suffer. they are well cared for and offer an opprotunity that would not exist without being able to view these ani,als at a zoo.
Some animals were rescued or abandoned and the zo is a perfect place for them to live.
fun time

Whitehouse, TX

#21 Mar 7, 2010
truthful 1 wrote:
Without a zoo children would never see a ****, camel, elephant or any number of animals. What happened to the "educational" aspect of the zoo.
It is pleasing for many to see animal in real life instead of pictures, movies or video games.
The animals that are in captivity do not suffer. they are well cared for and offer an opprotunity that would not exist without being able to view these ani,als at a zoo.
Some animals were rescued or abandoned and the zo is a perfect place for them to live.

Not all zoos take great care of their animals, in the US and all over the world. I went to the zoo a couple of yrs ago and I asked a couple of the hired help what their jobs were and then what were their qualifications for their position.
They both replied they did various jobs in the zoo, from cleaning up things, feeding, taking care of them, etc.
Their qualifications were they needed a job while they were in college and they both really loved animals.

Now that may be enough for whatever they did but it seems they should have a bit more experience and animal education. I then asked if the made a good wage and they both replied minimum.

I know it costs a lot of $$$ to run a zoo but some of that money should be for very qualified help.

Now that it's having a very hard financial time even if it stays open will they have even less personnel on board in the future.

Just a thought on why keep it open if the animals cannot get the very best, A-1 treatment 24/7.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hume Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rankin's behavior & lack of self control, immat... (Jan '17) 18 hr Sam 2
DonkeyluvLOOney rankinScum sucks donkey (Aug '16) 21 hr Sam 3
Truth destroys ass wipe John Rankin lies 22 hr Sam 1
truth makes Drug Addict Sunshine the obvious liar 22 hr Sam 1
Victor Lopez Family Obsession With Rankin & Don... (Jul '15) 23 hr Sam 11
John Rankin Retard obsessed with OLD THREADS 23 hr Vic 1
A 2013 thread. Desperation Village Idiot John R... 23 hr Vic 1

Hume Jobs

Personal Finance

Hume Mortgages