On the Spectrum -- Animal predators p...

On the Spectrum -- Animal predators prowl neighborhoods

There are 17 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Mar 15, 2010, titled On the Spectrum -- Animal predators prowl neighborhoods. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

Few sounds are more chilling to me than the shrill yips and howls of coyotes. Whenever I hear these eerie sounds, my immediate concern is to bring my cat Elizabeth inside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

Carl

Lansing, MI

#1 Mar 15, 2010
Cats should not be outside to begin with:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cats-Should-Not...
Deborah Grabien

Menlo Park, CA

#3 Mar 16, 2010
Um, Redbud? Might want to actually read the book before you comment on it.

Having worked with the SPCA's TNR program in Golden Gate Park for over ten years, I find your "clueless about nature and cats" remark to speak more to your anti-cat bigotry than it does to any concern you have about nature. I see you're in Levittown, about three thousand miles away from the man-made environment of Golden Gate Park. Since you're advocating for what happens here, perhaps you'll answer a question: when was the last time you frequented the park?

Coyotes are native? Yes, indeed. They're a part of the environment - which, if you'd read the book before you ranted, you might have found that even the cat in question agrees with. But velociraptors were native to the Badlands. Would you suggest that dropping them into a children's playground in modern Omaha is a good idea?

A little basic info for you to digest: There are approximately twelve resident feral cats in Golden Gate Park. They're spread out over a thousand, yes, I said a thousand acres. Do the math, about the "artificial food source" nonsense. Do your homework and learn your facts before you rant. TGhe rant might carry more weight then.

It would be nice to have people actually get out and do the work before they post, you know? But I don't see it happening. People, as a species, are incredibly dumb, very self-centered, and more comfortable dissing than actually doing.

Not nearly as cool as skunks, possums, or coyotes. And certainly not nearly as cool as cats.
Redbud

Trenton, NJ

#4 Mar 16, 2010
No thank you I really have no interest in reading this book. I do happen to like cats though, indoor cats that is. I have done my research and I stick by my facts. I am a biologist, wildlife rehabilitator and a animal rescuer with years of experience. I do not however, agree with TNR or allowing any cat to roam freely outdoors. I spend lots of my own time and money caring for the critters your outdoor cats catch and maim.
Do you actually think that your park is the only park with cats?????? Feral and free roaming cats are a national epidemic. Can I ask you why, after ten years of TNR, are there still cats at this park? Because TNR does not work, it is based on perpetual colony maintenance; these cats will never go away.
I have eliminated feral cats colonies in several places by trapping the cats and removing the artificial food source. New cats do not move in to fill the void (another TNR falicy) if the food is no longer available to them.
TNR is for the caregivers. Gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. TNR is nothing more than hoarding without walls and we all know that hoarding is a sickness. Poor misguided souls.....
Thorin Oakenshield

Half Moon Bay, CA

#5 Mar 16, 2010
The real sickness is abandoning a domestic cat in the wild and forcing it to fend for itself after it has grown to rely upon humans. I'd venture to say that the founding generation of nearly every feral cat colony has a direct human cause. TNR is essential to limiting successive generations of cats.
Redbud

Trenton, NJ

#6 Mar 16, 2010
If you do not feed the cats they will disperse. TNR is not an answer to anything except keeping cat feeders busy. Poor misguided souls.....
yehhp

Fort Dodge, IA

#7 Mar 16, 2010
If you own a cat, keep it inside.
Owners who let their cats wander the hoods are just plain irresponsible.
I will continue to trap your "pets" and turn them over to animal control.
When they get to animal control depending on the pusses profile they are either adopted out or killed.
It is the irresponsible cat owners that deserve to be caged, not the cats.
Not the animal.
Private

United States

#8 Mar 16, 2010
yehhp,

You say cats shouldn't be caged. If you were never allowed to leave your house, wouldn't you be caged. You should probably just leave the cats alone.
yehhp

Fort Dodge, IA

#9 Mar 16, 2010
Private wrote:
yehhp,
You say cats shouldn't be caged. If you were never allowed to leave your house, wouldn't you be caged. You should probably just leave the cats alone.
Its all about responsibility of the owner for their "pets".
The owners of dogs can't by law let their dogs "free range" like most cat owners do.
A house cat is just that. You want to let them outside either walk them on a leash or put them on a runner in your yard.
I do not like the cats (or dogs) digging in and pooping/urinating in my garden.
Keep them under control.
They should have owners that are responsible enough to bring them inside so they wont be trapped or worse.
I will continue to trap the cats at night.
Last July I trapped at least 10 cats. 6 were kittens that lived. 4 were killed because they were to old to adopt.
Private

Millbrae, CA

#10 Mar 16, 2010
yehhp'
Do you wear a hockey mask? You worry about cats being scared by coyotes at night so you trap and kill them.
yehhp

Fort Dodge, IA

#11 Mar 16, 2010
Private wrote:
yehhp'
Do you wear a hockey mask? You worry about cats being scared by coyotes at night so you trap and kill them.
The hockey mask is retired. It got all pucked up.
Actually I just worry about the cats being EATEN by the coyotes.
Actually who ultimately kills them are the irresponsible, ignoramus lazy "cat owning" humans that allow them to free range.
Just to reduce your concerns all my captures go to the pound. I capture, they dispose.
I'm a vegetarian any way.
huh

United States

#12 Mar 16, 2010
Deborah Grabien wrote:
I see you're in Levittown, about three thousand miles away from the man-made environment of Golden Gate Park. Since you're advocating for what happens here, perhaps you'll answer a question: when was the last time you frequented the park?
I don't think Deborah lives in Levittown, PA. The internet inserts random cities/towns/states when you're not a registered user. For example, I live in Lake County and I bet it doesn't even say "California" when I hit "Post Comment." If I'm wrong, throw me to the coyotes!!!!:Ţ
Anyway, leave the cats alone.
Only 12 feral cats in GG Park? I find that hard to believe.
yehhp

Fort Dodge, IA

#15 Mar 17, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>

Anyway, leave the cats alone.
I am not certain the cougars will comply with your request.
Most can't read anyway.:Q)
pot head

United States

#16 Mar 17, 2010
1 Do not hike, bike, or jog alone.
2 Avoid hiking or jogging when -"Donna Christ"- is most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
3 Keep a close watch on small children.
4 Do not approach -"Donna Christ"- 5 If you encounter -"Donna Christ"- do not run; instead, face -"Donna Christ"- make noise and throw rocks or other objects. Pick up small children.
6 If attacked, fight back.
7 once -"Donna Christ"- has frequented backyard. keep a rifle handy. 8If-"Donna Christ"-attacks See # 7
Cougar Predators

Clearlake, CA

#17 Mar 17, 2010
I know what you mean about the predators that are out there. These Cougars lay out these traps and they are always looking for young innocent Men.
It's terrible to be cornered by a Cougar and having to give in. Oh My Oh My
pot head

United States

#18 Mar 17, 2010
The warning works for p edophiles also
Jim Hall

Ostrander, OH

#19 Mar 17, 2010
Cheap stray pet control might be a blessing during these hard times. At least most of the bird population might think so.
whoopz

Fort Dodge, IA

#20 Mar 17, 2010
Cougar Predators wrote:
I know what you mean about the predators that are out there. These Cougars lay out these traps and they are always looking for young innocent Men.
It's terrible to be cornered by a Cougar and having to give in. Oh My Oh My
Oh My!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hume Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Punk azz rankin THANKS for spreading your STUPI... 3 hr See 1
Punk azz rankin why do keep posting Grand jury ... 5 hr See 5
Grang Jury report pounded in looney minds! 10 hr donkeyluvlooney 1
John " Liar " Rankin needs to be educated with ... 12 hr See 1
Retarded rankin Clown that needs to get educat... 12 hr See 1
News Lisker Chronicles: Bruce and Proposition 34 (Nov '12) Nov '12 Dudley sharp 1
News Hantavirus cases prompt action (Sep '12) Sep '12 Hank 1
More from around the web

Hume People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]