Humboldt city election's
City Voter

Germantown, TN

#42 Nov 5, 2013
where is everybody wrote:
<quoted text>The school board is the defacto step child of the City government since we are a city.owned system. The school.system only gets what the.city.wants.it to have so the problem just sits until there is an outside force that pushes for change and some form of improvement to the system as a whole.
I dont think I would call it the step child of city goverment. Of all the budgets I have seen for the city of Humboldt, the school budget is always the largest. I have seen very few things get cut from the school budget "by the city" and on top of that there always seems to be some issue that pops up mid term to where the school board says "hey we need more or we will have to close the schools". I have seen other city departments suffer due to the school system and their so called board of education. There is no doubt that the school system is draining the city and not being very productive in the process of educating the students of the city. This is not the city's fault! This is the school boards fault! They are the one who can make to changes to turn the schools around. So calling the school system and the board the step child of the city, you may want to take another look around to find the real problem.
Homey

Medina, TN

#43 Nov 5, 2013
<quoted text>The school board is the defacto step child of the City government since we are a city.owned system. The school.system only gets what the.city.wants.it to have so the problem just sits until there is an outside force that pushes for change and some form of improvement to the system as a whole.
You know, since the city funds the school system well above BEP requirements, and basically gives them everything they want....and the system produces marginal results at best, maybe it's time for a NEW approach. Let's cut the funding back to BEP requirements, and if and when the school board produces better results, then increase funding again. The other way hasn't worked!

Since: Oct 13

United States

#44 Nov 5, 2013
Homey wrote:
<quoted text>You know, since the city funds the school system well above BEP requirements, and basically gives them everything they want....and the system produces marginal results at best, maybe it's time for a NEW approach. Let's cut the funding back to BEP requirements, and if and when the school board produces better results, then increase funding again. The other way hasn't worked!
The level of animosity between the city and the school system amazes me. Every town and special school district in West Tennessee supports their school system 100%. Those towns are not losing 10% of population and students every.few years . I never said the school system is not doing their job. It's very.evident this issue is about money and wanting to transfer the education role of city government over to the county .
God help the poor man that tries to straighten any of the problems that are evident in this city out.
Homey

Medina, TN

#45 Nov 5, 2013
<quoted text>The level of animosity between the city and the school system amazes me. Every town and special school district in West Tennessee supports their school system 100%. Those towns are not losing 10% of population and students every.few years . I never said the school system is not doing their job. It's very.evident this issue is about money and wanting to transfer the education role of city government over to the county .
God help the poor man that tries to straighten any of the problems that are evident in this city out.
My last post was sort of a joke, ok. The whole point is, Humboldt's declining population, and struggling school system are NOT because of money or lack of support from either the city administration or the school board. All the money in the world, and all the new buildings you can build aren't going to fix the unique demographic problem Humboldt has experienced. You, me, nor any politician can FIX the problem, because the 'problem' is your perception of a unique situation. Whites are not going to move back within the city limits if you replace every school building in the system. Tear down all the blighted houses you want, but no one with the money to build a new house is going to build within the blighted districts. Drive down to 12th and Maple right now and you will find a brand new house sitting there that has never been occupied. Unless you build them and give them away, there is no one with the income to purchase them (or rent them at market rates) that wants to live there. Fast food restaurants have closed because the population demographic has changed and there are not enough customers in the remaining demographic to support their product. Look at the demographic model for a new franchised restaurant and you will readily see that no one would intelligently build a new franchise here...in fact Humboldt will be lucky to hold on to Taco Bell and KFC at this point. It's not something that anyone can 'Fix' anymore than you can revive Cairo, IL. Embrace what you have left and learn to live with it, or move along like the rest.
Watching

Humboldt, TN

#46 Nov 5, 2013
Now, we have a new mayor and 2 new aldermen...can we put this election behind us and, as a city, move forward? As citizens, you have the right to contact your alderperson with your concerns and the right to attend city board meetings. How can we move Humboldt forward.....are we willing to work to do so?? To all that exercised their right to vote..thank you!!!!!

United States

#47 Nov 6, 2013
Watching wrote:
Now, we have a new mayor and 2 new aldermen...can we put this election behind us and, as a city, move forward? As citizens, you have the right to contact your alderperson with your concerns and the right to attend city board meetings. How can we move Humboldt forward.....are we willing to work to do so?? To all that exercised their right to vote..thank you!!!!!
Hopefully this will start.a new direction for the town and school system in the future. Moving Humboldt forward will mean a new way of looking at issues and including all citizens ideas on how to improve the quality of life in this town. I will say a prayer for whoever is the new mayor for I feel.he will need it.
City Voter

Dyersburg, TN

#48 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>Hopefully this will start.a new direction for the town and school system in the future. Moving Humboldt forward will mean a new way of looking at issues and including all citizens ideas on how to improve the quality of life in this town. I will say a prayer for whoever is the new mayor for I feel.he will need it.
Amen
brownbuck

United States

#49 Nov 6, 2013
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin! IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE!
Homey

Medina, TN

#50 Nov 6, 2013
Let's ROLL!!!
concerned

Medina, TN

#51 Nov 7, 2013
Marvin is a nice guy and all but the guy doesn't have a Damn clue about real politics and business. If everything is done in Humboldt he might survive but can you see him doing business with international business men? Our city is in deep trouble. We will soon be the laughing stock I promise you. Should have re-elected Barker and paid Marvin to be the cheerleader he wants to be. There's much more to a mayor than that. Marvin won't say anything bad about anything, he's a people pleaser, just goes with the flow, and Damn no confidence. Watch the debate. He is going to let people run all over him. Can you just imagine him in Germany trying to bring industry to Humboldt? Wow. So I guess his selling point will be our schools which he speaks so highly of desire being last in entire state. Now that's a real persuader. His own daughter just moved to Jim Bob Scruggs road so she wouldn't have to put her kid in Humboldt schools. I'm so incredibly disappointed in the citizens of Humboldt. Good friends don't always make great politicians. But congrats, you will get exactly what you voted for.

United States

#52 Nov 7, 2013
concerned wrote:
Marvin is a nice guy and all but the guy doesn't have a Damn clue about real politics and business. If everything is done in Humboldt he might survive but can you see him doing business with international business men? Our city is in deep trouble. We will soon be the laughing stock I promise you. Should have re-elected Barker and paid Marvin to be the cheerleader he wants to be. There's much more to a mayor than that. Marvin won't say anything bad about anything, he's a people pleaser, just goes with the flow, and Damn no confidence. Watch the debate. He is going to let people run all over him. Can you just imagine him in Germany trying to bring industry to Humboldt? Wow. So I guess his selling point will be our schools which he speaks so highly of desire being last in entire state. Now that's a real persuader. His own daughter just moved to Jim Bob Scruggs road so she wouldn't have to put her kid in Humboldt schools. I'm so incredibly disappointed in the citizens of Humboldt. Good friends don't always make great politicians. But congrats, you will get exactly what you voted for.
Since when did.the mayor take over industrial recruitment duties from the industrial board. Losing population sliding enrollmemnt in the schools and restaurants closing along with empty buildings is not enough to.see we need a change then we may have other problems also. Sometimes recognizing that.there are.issues and we need a different direction is the.biggest hurdle to jump. Humboldt.does need a mayor that has more than one set of talents. Being a cheerleader is probably what we need along with a desire to give the city the best opportunities in the future. Humboldt already has problems we just need to recognize them and work together to solve the issues.
I believe Marvin has the abilities and is qualified to carry out these duties while solving the problems this city has.
Good luck Marvin in the runoff.

United States

#53 Nov 7, 2013
Homey wrote:
Let's ROLL!!!
Change is on the way!!
juicy

United States

#54 Nov 7, 2013
Who da neighbors?
Berry Man

Johnson City, TN

#56 Nov 7, 2013
NoContest wrote:
It's going to be Redd, anyway, white boys. He knows how to get out the vote.
Please keep your racist comments to yourself.
bp Humboldt TN

Medina, TN

#57 Nov 7, 2013
<quoted text>Hopefully this will start.a new direction for the town and school system in the future. Moving Humboldt forward will mean a new way of looking at issues and including all citizens ideas on how to improve the quality of life in this town. I will say a prayer for whoever is the new mayor for I feel.he will need it.
I hope everyone will have as much time helping in the new year as they have talking. We have 3 new Alderman. May God bless Humboldt.

United States

#59 Nov 7, 2013
Berry Man wrote:
<quoted text>Please keep your racist comments to yourself.
Its gonna be OK We got this!
Old Ram

Johnson City, TN

#60 Nov 8, 2013
<quoted text>Its gonna be OK We got this!
You got what? You ain't got squat. Government can't 'fix' any of the problems you've cited. Tell you what...Make a copy of this thread, and the other threads concerning the election and Humboldt's problems. Then, after 3 years of new leadership, and you're ready to begin thinking about another new mayor, go back and read this thread and see if Humboldt is better off. See if 'Time for a change' has played out the way you wanted.
gucci

United States

#61 Nov 8, 2013
I fought the law. And the fawking law won.

United States

#62 Nov 8, 2013
Old Ram wrote:
<quoted text>You got what? You ain't got squat. Government can't 'fix' any of the problems you've cited. Tell you what...Make a copy of this thread, and the other threads concerning the election and Humboldt's problems. Then, after 3 years of new leadership, and you're ready to begin thinking about another new mayor, go back and read this thread and see if Humboldt is better off. See if 'Time for a change' has played out the way you wanted.
If the last mayor had 16 years why would anyone expect to turn this town around in three? I not the only one in this town that believes we needed a change. I think that's evident from the election results.
City Voter

Dyersburg, TN

#63 Nov 8, 2013
NoContest wrote:
It's going to be Redd, anyway, white boys. He knows how to get out the vote.
Typical Redd Porter supporter. Just like him to not make a statement to the press after the election results. Guess he was mad that he didn't sweep the vote like he thought he was going to do. Well if he was mad the first go around just wait until December. There is going to be alot of "black boys" that will call Redd for a bail bond that may just have to sit in jail for a while or until he gets over his next little hissy fit due to the December results.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Humboldt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TJ Ross 8 min Guest 3
When black guys call each other "G" (Apr '12) 2 hr fact 26
Should men wear flip flops 4 hr H8er Hunter 18
Luis from kappis 4 hr Anonymousness 1
Mayoral Election 6 hr guest 3
Who is Jackie Lundsford Tue Match stick 1
Ronda Johnson and Joey Long Tue MeMeMe 2

Humboldt Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance