First Prev
of 4
Next Last
hometown girl

Humboldt, TN

#1 Nov 27, 2011
Has anyone been here to eat? If so,what is it like?
Resident

Humboldt, TN

#2 Nov 27, 2011
hometown girl wrote:
Has anyone been here to eat? If so,what is it like?
It's really good food and Rob did a great job decorating the place.
hometown girl

Humboldt, TN

#3 Nov 28, 2011
is it expensive
Resident

Humboldt, TN

#4 Nov 28, 2011
hometown girl wrote:
is it expensive
No, it's not expensive.
Berry Man

Jackson, TN

#5 Nov 28, 2011
They don't have a dollar menu if that's what you are looking for! It's avante guarde cooking by a chef so it's priced appropriately. If you like Starbucks or the Cupcake Stores it will not seem expensive.
williejohnson

Humboldt, TN

#6 Dec 2, 2011
Better hurry if you want to try this place...I've seen the menu...they have a salad sandwich..no ribs..catfish...fried chicken or red velvet cake. Located on Main Street too...won't be open another couple of months. If you wanna make it in this town...cater to the blacks.
Slo Go

Jackson, TN

#7 Dec 2, 2011
williejohnson wrote:
Better hurry if you want to try this place...I've seen the menu...they have a salad sandwich..no ribs..catfish...fried chicken or red velvet cake. Located on Main Street too...won't be open another couple of months. If you wanna make it in this town...cater to the blacks.
You're right to some degree, but you don't have to cater to blacks ot survive in Humboldt. This place is all about serving a select clientele, and while some of them may be black and affleuent, the majority of their customers will come from the upper 5% of society, which won't include many blacks. If you need ribs, chicken, and bar-b-q slide on down the hill to Sam's or Armour's and they will fix you up. Even most whites however, will not find it to be something they will visit often, and after a few months the operators will find it unprofitable and close in the face of mounting losses. For the time being though, enjoy a taste of New York!
goldtoofsmile

Humboldt, TN

#8 Dec 2, 2011
Slo Go wrote:
<quoted text>You're right to some degree, but you don't have to cater to blacks ot survive in Humboldt. This place is all about serving a select clientele, and while some of them may be black and affleuent, the majority of their customers will come from the upper 5% of society, which won't include many blacks. If you need ribs, chicken, and bar-b-q slide on down the hill to Sam's or Armour's and they will fix you up. Even most whites however, will not find it to be something they will visit often, and after a few months the operators will find it unprofitable and close in the face of mounting losses. For the time being though, enjoy a taste of New York!
Humboldt is 90% black..so yeah..you gots to cater to them or you won't make it...You're talking about a town where BK and Wendys couldnt survive...but KFC is still kickin
why not

Mcminnville, TN

#9 Dec 2, 2011
Why are the whites of Humboldt not supporting the new business opportunities that come to town.Everyone blames the blacks.Where are the whites?
Cowboy

Henderson, TN

#10 Dec 2, 2011
goldtoofsmile wrote:
<quoted text>Humboldt is 90% black..so yeah..you gots to cater to them or you won't make it...You're talking about a town where BK and Wendys couldnt survive...but KFC is still kickin
This is one white guy that doesn't eat at KFC in Humboldt. Why? It's nasty, in serious need of remodeling, and I've never seen a white employee in the place. I used to go in there, cause I love their slaw, but in the back the counters, utensils, and everything was always cluttered and appeared greasy. Now, I know chicken is greasy...but this was GREASY! That corner would be a good place to put a BoJangles Chicken store!!
Slo Go

Henderson, TN

#11 Dec 2, 2011
goldtoofsmile wrote:
<quoted text>Humboldt is 90% black..so yeah..you gots to cater to them or you won't make it...You're talking about a town where BK and Wendys couldnt survive...but KFC is still kickin
One or the other would have been able to survive had they only had some service. Consistently, for many, many years they both had zero service. The service at Taco Bell has improved measurably in the past year or so, but at one time it had gotten awful. McDonald's is always on top of their game with good product and service, mostly ecause of the man who owns it and runs it! Burger King would work if you run it right.
goldtoofsmile

Humboldt, TN

#12 Dec 3, 2011
why not wrote:
Why are the whites of Humboldt not supporting the new business opportunities that come to town.Everyone blames the blacks.Where are the whites?
Where are the whites? Not in Humboldt!
Berry Man

Henning, TN

#13 Dec 3, 2011
White alone - 5,041 (54.9%)
Black alone - 3,984 (43.4%)
Hispanic - 69 (0.8%)
Two or more races - 59 (0.6%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Humboldt-Tennes...

This is from the latest census data available on city-data.com , showing approximately 44% blacks in Humboldt and 55% whites...but that isn't the whole story by far. Many of the whites are retired, or live off some sort of subsistence income, ie; welfare, social security, or retirement incomes...they draw some sort of check as their sole income. Statistics indicate approximately 65% of the families, both white and black are in this position, making disposable income for such treats as eating out, hard to come by. Many individuals who open a business do not understand the numbers and their business fails because there are literally no customers. Big chains on the other hand, have all of this data available, so they analyze the market and do not locate here because their experience shows they will no be successful.
So, Burger King went away, Wendy's went away...and others are not coming. We've got enough customers with disposable income to...maybe...support what is left. Study demographics further and you will find that while blacks will overwhelmingly support local business, and will not travel far to trade, middle and upper income whites think nothing of buying virtually everything in Jackson. They don't buy groceries in Wal-Mart or Town and Country..they go to Kroger for instance. The companies that have located in north Jackson have done so, partly to market to Milan, Humboldt, etc. Three Way doesn't have anything in it because it's too far to draw customers out of Jackson for things that are readily available IN Jackson.
So where are the whites? On the extreme east and southeast of Humboldt...and close to Jackson.
goldtoofsmile

Humboldt, TN

#14 Dec 4, 2011
Berry Man wrote:
White alone - 5,041 (54.9%)
Black alone - 3,984 (43.4%)
Hispanic - 69 (0.8%)
Two or more races - 59 (0.6%)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Humboldt-Tennes...
This is from the latest census data available on city-data.com , showing approximately 44% blacks in Humboldt and 55% whites...but that isn't the whole story by far. Many of the whites are retired, or live off some sort of subsistence income, ie; welfare, social security, or retirement incomes...they draw some sort of check as their sole income. Statistics indicate approximately 65% of the families, both white and black are in this position, making disposable income for such treats as eating out, hard to come by. Many individuals who open a business do not understand the numbers and their business fails because there are literally no customers. Big chains on the other hand, have all of this data available, so they analyze the market and do not locate here because their experience shows they will no be successful.
So, Burger King went away, Wendy's went away...and others are not coming. We've got enough customers with disposable income to...maybe...support what is left. Study demographics further and you will find that while blacks will overwhelmingly support local business, and will not travel far to trade, middle and upper income whites think nothing of buying virtually everything in Jackson. They don't buy groceries in Wal-Mart or Town and Country..they go to Kroger for instance. The companies that have located in north Jackson have done so, partly to market to Milan, Humboldt, etc. Three Way doesn't have anything in it because it's too far to draw customers out of Jackson for things that are readily available IN Jackson.
So where are the whites? On the extreme east and southeast of Humboldt...and close to Jackson.
What's the percentage of whites in the Humboldt School system?
why not

Mcminnville, TN

#16 Dec 4, 2011
Berry Man i didn't realize that many whites have moved outside of Humboldt.what you're telling me is the people who could buy in Humboldt or eat in Humboldt go else where.What a waste of a nice town to be basically rejected when the town always had so much to offer and was a pretty place.
It really seems that everywhere we go the main streets entering the towns are run down and the houses and stores are not pretty and well kept anymore.A shame and waste.
Thanks for the numbers and updates.
What will happen to the once nice small towns that were so appealing if everything and everyone leaves and neglects.i guess they will basically just be eye sores and shut down.sad.
why not

Mcminnville, TN

#17 Dec 4, 2011
Berry Man- when in Humboldt last we we saw a new apartment complex.What type housing will this be?We were really surprised to see the location and so many of them.
Bullet Man

Bells, TN

#18 Dec 4, 2011
why not wrote:
Berry Man- when in Humboldt last we we saw a new apartment complex.What type housing will this be?We were really surprised to see the location and so many of them.
You're probably speaking of Waddle Gardens. It is a combination of one and two bedroom units aimed at Senior citizens and people with special needs. Many of the units are for handicapped and wheelchair access. My understanding is the rents will be indexed to the residents incomes, so if you are disabled and on social security you will be able to afford to live there.
Berry Man

Bells, TN

#19 Dec 4, 2011
why not wrote:
Berry Man i didn't realize that many whites have moved outside of Humboldt.what you're telling me is the people who could buy in Humboldt or eat in Humboldt go else where.What a waste of a nice town to be basically rejected when the town always had so much to offer and was a pretty place.
It really seems that everywhere we go the main streets entering the towns are run down and the houses and stores are not pretty and well kept anymore.A shame and waste.
Thanks for the numbers and updates.
What will happen to the once nice small towns that were so appealing if everything and everyone leaves and neglects.i guess they will basically just be eye sores and shut down.sad.
I think Humboldt has done very well in making the town look nice. Certainly, there are areas that need more work but that will always be the case. A very dedicated group of merchants is working to keep downtown alive, with new street pavings, landscaping, a downtown park, restoring the Abbey, etc. They have held several festivals down there in order to draw people downtown to shop. Humboldt isn't a lost cause by any means. The city has redid all of the parks and recreation areas and has a first class baseball/softball complex out at Spangler Park. Unfortunately, many people let the fact that there is a majority black school system, color their opinion of the whole town. The school system is well run and on par with all the others in the area. "White flight' is what it is and there isn't much that can be done about that.

Since: May 11

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Dec 5, 2011
Humboldt school system is on par? Ha! That's the funniest thing I have heard today! The elementary.school kids are using calculators while every other school systems makes the student learn it by writing out the problem. Humboldt school system is pathetic but what is the surprise of that. When asked why these students get to use calculators do you know what the response was? So they could keep up with the other schools! Humboldt school board and the teachers need.to be replaced with people who not only know how to do their job but with people who want to DO their job. Guaranteed my kids will NOT go to that school.
goldtoofsmile

Humboldt, TN

#21 Dec 6, 2011
They may be on par with Memphis City Schools..at least in on-campus rape

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Humboldt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kris n jamie brown 1 hr Glenn moss 50
Big hair blonde 9 hr haha 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Tennessee ... (Oct '10) 11 hr yes 297
Strawberry Bowl on 22nd??? 22 hr Berry Man 2
2015 Srawberry Festival 22 hr Berry Man 6
April Rainey (Nov '13) Fri Bill 19
Holly Hudson Apr 23 lol 7
More from around the web

Humboldt People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]