Does anyone actually like Humboldt Ci...

Does anyone actually like Humboldt City Schools?

Posted in the Humboldt Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sarcastic sometimes

Humboldt, TN

#1 Jun 18, 2010
My kids will probably be starting there in the fall, unless we do something drastic.... And I'm not even sure that's possible....

Are there any parents out there that have anything positive to say about the Humboldt schools? I've heard tons of negative, and it's very discouraging to think that we're stuck with a bad school for our kids... I hope someone can give me a glimmer of hope.

Also, how do the elementary schools work? Are there zones for them or do you get to choose? Which one is best, and what's the difference?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
teacher

Medina, TN

#2 Jun 19, 2010
Humboldt has some great teachers. The main problem is ratio. If that is not a problem for you then they are as good as any other system. There is only going to be one Elm school this year. East End
sarcastic sometimes

Humboldt, TN

#3 Jun 19, 2010
What grades will be where?
Kelly Frazier

Cordova, TN

#4 Jun 20, 2010
Kindergarten through 5th grade will be at East End starting this coming school year. Grades 6th through 8th are at Humboldt Middle School. And then Humboldt High School has grades 9th through 12th. I love Humboldt Schools! My daughter will be moving up to the high school this coming school year. I also graduated from there myself. It's not the school system that's bad. The school system does have some really great teachers. It's the children that don't get any guidance or discipline at home that makes a school system bad. Maybe that's why everyone is so down on it. My husband is all the time saying how Peabody was so much better than Humboldt because Humboldt kicked him out of there school system. And I try to explain to him that it wasn't the school system that had the problem, but it was him that was the problem because he was skipping school, hanging out with the wrong kids, and not taking school seriously. A school system can only do so much with the kids they are given. The parents have to actually "parent" their children at home first.
Kelly Frazier

Cordova, TN

#5 Jun 20, 2010
Sorry about the location. I do live in Humboldt. I just don't know how to change my location on here. :)
sarcastic sometimes

Humboldt, TN

#6 Jun 21, 2010
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Kelly!
Kelly Frazier

Cordova, TN

#7 Jun 21, 2010
You are welcome! Didn't mean to go off on a tangent or anything....lol.
Ann W

Union City, TN

#9 Jul 4, 2010
I send my kids to a private school. Humboldt has to many black kids that require special attention so the white kids get left behind.
Kelly Frazier

Shreveport, LA

#10 Jul 4, 2010
You have to be extremely well off to be able to send your kids to private school. We aren't poor or anything, but we don't just have that much extra money laying around to be able to send our child to private school. And most of those schools only want the kids who are overachievers and don't have any learning disabilities or other issues.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#11 Jul 4, 2010
I would work 3 jobs b/4 I let my kids go to Humboldt... they would be just a little white speck in the classroom! And I graduated from there, and even then it was mainly all black. Sorry for the hard core truth..but the facts are the facts..now they do have some great athletes on a positive note.
mom

United States

#12 Jul 4, 2010
humboldt schools suck....my kids go there....plan on selling home n moving....the princ. at the middle school just shouts at students...the kids fight outside of the school in the afternoon at the middle school.....none of the staff cares either....you should drive by and watch....at the end of the year field days the kids have to stay out side all day in the heat....with no bathrooms or water......plus they cant go inside to get there bags after school........wish the teachers n staff had to do the same.....bet there dumb rules would change then........humboldt schools used to be better...
mom

United States

#13 Jul 4, 2010
yeah my daughter was the only white girl in a classroom of 23 kids last year.....with three white boys.......you do the math!!!!!!!!!!

United States

#14 Jul 4, 2010
Ann W wrote:
I send my kids to a private school. Humboldt has to many black kids that require special attention so the white kids get left behind.
That is exactly the problem in Humboldt schools; not the teachers.

United States

#15 Jul 5, 2010
My daughter attended East End school from 1st grade to 5th grade, and every year she always on the honor roll. "Five straight years" and achieved other awards outside the school, to say that black kids need special attention is not true. There a lot other students that is on same level as my daughter is. I am always concern about my daughter’s education, and to go as far as have lunch with my daughter at school and help her with her school work. Some parents do and some do not all. You cannot push bad things on the school, there a lot of teachers that care. My daughter had wonderful teachers and always excited that I visit her for lunch at school. The teacher sees that as parent that I concern and cares about daughter life. I even have a 4 year old in Pre-K now who was on the honor roll twice last fall. The teacher said she is one of her best student. My wife and I always care and love our children. To place a label because of the skin color is just wrong. I brought up that everyone is color in this world, if you look inside a crayon box has different types of color including white. White is color too.

Location hidden

#16 Jul 5, 2010
How many crayons do you have in your crayon box?
Stop Complaining

Cordova, TN

#17 Jul 6, 2010
Ann W wrote:
My child needs special attention, but she is not black. She has learning disabilities and emotional disabilities that require her to be on a 504 plan so she won't get behind the other students. She is not stupid nor unintelligent. She is very smart but just needs special attention. It isn't just the black kids. White kids sometimes have special needs too. And if Humboldt parents would stop sending all their kids to Medina instead of Humboldt, there would definitely be a lot more white students here. Medina schools are almost all white kids. And, TheTruthHurtsBab y, I'm sure black parents in Medina feel like their kids are a black speck amongst all the white kids in the classroom. I get so tired of people bitching and complaining about schools. Instead of complaining, get involved. My husband and I are very involved in every aspect of our daughter's education. We attend all the parent-teacher conferences. We have all the teachers' e-mail addresses. We communicate with all the teachers and staff on a regular basis. And, just because we don't uproot our lives and move somewhere else or take on 2 or 3 jobs to send her to private school, does not mean that we don't care about our daughter. People have gotten to where they want to make everything right and perfect for their children instead of letting them see the real world. If they get in trouble, they want to do anything and everything to make it just all go away. It's ridiculous! My parents taught me right from wrong and then let me make my own choices, but, if I did get in trouble, they let me face the consequences. What I am trying to say is that Humboldt schools are no better or worse than they were when I was there. The only thing different is the parents who want their children to be in the "perfect" school with the "perfect" teachers and "perfect" staff. That will never happen. Just because they are called Trinity Christian Academy and Jackson Christian School doesn't mean that the children, teachers and staff in attendance there are all Christians and "perfect". If everyone complaining would put a positive focus on Humboldt schools, then maybe the schools would be what they are wanting out of a school system. Sorry about getting on my soapbox! Just my opinion.
sarcasticsometim es

Humboldt, TN

#18 Jul 6, 2010
I've registered my daughters this week, and I was impressed by the level of professionalism of the office staff that I met. I know that doesn't mean much, but it is one positive thing.

By the way, what was said to make anyone think my daughters are white? Were you assuming that because my post is gramatically correct? Because I am worried about their education and their progress at an at-risk school? Because of those things, do I sound white?

In case anyone is interested (I don't know why you would be...) one of my daughters has a disability; the other does not.

Location hidden

#19 Jul 6, 2010
Humboldt ratios? they are what they are. If ppl put their kids in Medina and they feel they are a lil black speck... then move them if you feel uncomfortable. That is why I would not allow my kids to attend Humboldt. I teach my kids right and wrong and let them learn there are consquences for every action! I am involved in their education, PTO, athletic programs. I don't miss a meeting, party, game, and always support our fundraisers. I do what it takes to make sure my kids education is first always! I too have the emails/phone numbers to my teachers as well..I have no intention on ever backing the Humboldt Schools with allowing my kids to go there. If I had to "uproot" or work more... I would...Just my opinion! And by the way, I am not complaining, just stating the facts.
billy boy

Miami, FL

#20 Aug 1, 2010
Let's all just learn to get along and quit bickering among us. I'm older than most on here be out of school 40 plus years! Attended Humboldt schools and lived there most of my live! Their system is as good as any in the county. They have good teachers! People just don't like each other because of the color of thier skin! Get over it people let's just learn to get along! I am looking for big things this season from Humboldt's football team! I am hearing good things about them! I expect a big year from them! Good luck!!

Since: Aug 09

Humboldt, TN

#21 Dec 15, 2010
I asked my grandson what he liked about his new school. He said there is no fighting. This is sad. The first day for my granddaughter at HHS, she was attacked by a girl that thought she was walking to close to the father of her baby. All she was doing was walking to her car to go home. When Jess Pritchard was mayor he received huge sums of grant money to build or redo Humboldt Housing projects.We had white flight to other schools.The teachers in the Humboldt City Schools are fantastic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Humboldt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any thick married women 24 min Loose Meat 20
Anyone Know Evangilist David Fountain ? (Dec '08) 6 hr Concerned Church ... 276
milan cop fired 8 hr Deputy Dawg 3
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... 14 hr Guest 13
Milan's biggest GROPERS?????? 15 hr Fly on Wall 6
Antioch Baptist Church (Jul '15) Tue Hardman 24
Residents on Edge After Repeated Shootings Nov 18 FckU 2

Humboldt Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance