Ex-chief says tribe allowing return of racism

Sep 30, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Muskogee Phoenix

“Basically, he just called our own people racists, and it is fundamentally false”

A former chief of the Cherokee Nation has said efforts made by the tribe to take away the citizenship of the descendants of the tribe's former slaves have revived racism. via Muskogee Phoenix

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2014

Since: Sep 07

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 1, 2007
 
Watson invited Joe Byrd as a panelist at her CBC legislative conference today. Watson aligned has herself with former Principal Chief by default, Joe Byrd, a disgruntled Cherokee Nation political loser who has not only attacked the candidate to whom he lost his bid for re-lection, Principal Chief Chad Smith, but also former Cherokee Nation Principal Chiefs Wilma Mankiller and Ross Swimmer. Joe Byrd voted in 88, 92 and 93 to require "by blood" to be a citizen". Byrd denied it to reporters today. Byrd was responsible for one of the worst constitutional crisis in modern day Cherokee history. Citizens who don't know their history, are bound to repeat it. The summary attached clears up why Byrd would align himself with Watson... Byrd's denial to reporters today regarding his "by blood" citizenship vote are typical of Byrd who has a pathological problem with "lying."
Watson also invited David Cornsilk to her panel. David Cornsilk, like Joe Byrd is a malcontent candidate who lost his race for a seat on the Cherokee Nation Council, and a disgruntled former employee of the Cherokee Nation with a long history of fabricating the truth about individuals, leaders and elected officials of the Cherokee Nation. He has never held a steady job for very long with any company. He has spent more than a decade criticizing every Cherokee Nation leader in modern time including his co-panelist on Watson's panel today former Cherokee Chief by default Joe Byrd, Chad Smith, Wilma Mankiller and Ross Swimmer.
Watson also invited Ed Crittenden to her panel. Ed Crittenden has been arrested for possession of illegal drugs. He has threatened and accosted Cherokee representatives. Cherokee County public records show a restraining for one Eddie Crittenden.
Each have a common goal and that is to by hook or by crook run the Cherokee Nation without the constitutional required common consent of the Cherokee people or respect for the law.

Since: Sep 07

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 2, 2007
 
You would think in this day and age that the government would quit trying to exterminate the Native American tribes but it is true. The Government is doing it again.

Congresswoman Diane Watson is proposing to exterminate government relations with the Cherokee Nation. The ironic thing is she claims that it is because the Cherokee are not living up to their treaty with the federal government in 1866! Let’s see, the government stripped the Cherokee of their land and is attempting to strip them of their culture. According to the 1866 treaty, the State of Oklahoma would have been a Native American state but instead, the federal government broke the treaty and gave way to stealing the land the government promised in writing to protect!

Cherokee Nation voted that people (all people) who could not prove that they were Cherokee by blood (lineage to the Dawes roll registry) that they could not be citizens of the Cherokee Nation and be called Cherokee. Makes sense…you have to be Indian to claim it. This sounds simple enough but this would mean excluding a group called the Freedmen who were former slaves of the Cherokee, from having citizenship rights. The issue here is the Freedmen had citizenship rights for a 1 full year (ONE YEAR) only due to a judge who had her own agenda to run for Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. After failing, the saga has been set to motion. The only thing the press picked up was that that the Cherokee were kicking out all black people when that is not the case at all. If any black, white, yellow, or other race can also prove that they have Cherokee blood (like everyone else does), then they also can gain citizenship into the tribe.

Here is my personal issue…why is it that when you are Cherokee, people say they are Cherokee. They don’t say Irish Cherokee, German Cherokee, Chinese Cherokee, etc. All you hear about is Black Cherokee? I don’t get it. I am Cherokee mixed with many other races and I still say that I am Cherokee. Most people will say the same but because of all of these issues, Black Cherokee seems to be a class above all other people, both black and Cherokee.
Ed Crittenden

Talala, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 10, 2007
 
Whomever posted this comment has no credibility whatsoever. In fact it is obvious that it is a Smith loyalist or paid spin doctor.
The Constitutional Crisis mentioned under Joe Byrd was fabricated in every respect and Chad Smith was one of the perpetrators of that fraud.
Today the Cherokee Nation is in a REAL CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS because the Sec. of Indian Affairs has OFFICIALLY NOTIFIED Chad Smith the 1975 Constitution is the valid governing document and that he will not approve the 1999 Constitutional Amendment because Cherokee Freedmen were prevented from voting in that election.
Smith however has gone forward appointing an Attorney General, a Sec. of State, a Marshal, two Supreme Court Justices and has ADDED two additional seats on the Council representing Cherokees who live outside of the service area of the tribe. These are all provisions under the invalid 1999 Constitution.
Smith maintains that the 1999 Constitution is valid because his appointed Justices ruled it was so. This ruling was based on an affidavit by former Sec. of Indian Affairs, Neal McCalib who stated that he had intended to approve the amendment.
However McCalib had resigned as Secretary and had no authority to make any such decision long before the date of the affidavit that the majority of the Supreme Court of the Cherokee Nation rule (2-1).
Ed Crittenden

Talala, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 10, 2007
 
The Cherokee Nation is operating outside of federal compliance under an invalid Constitution that has been officially denied by the Federal Government. Yet Smith rules the roost and bangs on the podium telling his listeners "they can't do that to us because we are a sovereign nation."

Congress has no authority to revoke State sovereignty but in the stroke of a pen Congress can rescind all tribal sovereignty. Chad Smith is pushing Congress to this limit in his typical historical arrogant behavior.

I also wish to clarify the following for the record. The comment stating:

>>> Watson also invited Ed Crittenden to her panel. Ed Crittenden has been arrested for possession of illegal drugs.

This incident occurred twenty years ago and was expunged so there was no plea of record and no criminal record exists. Since that time Ed Crittenden has been clean and sober.

Can Chad Smith say that? No Repeated reports of Chad Smith being drunk and disorderly are the norm at the Catoosa Casino where repeatedly he has been escorted to his room by security to prevent further embarrassment.

>>> He has threatened and accosted Cherokee representatives.

That statement is a bald faced lie. Ed was however accosted by Meredith Swimmer Frailey the Speaker of the Council and one of Chad Smith's political slate members after a Committee meeting in the Cherokee Council House. How seemingly harmless it is when Chad Smith people assassinate someone's character from the shadows. Yet it is kill the messenger and this has always been their tactics.

Another misleading statement:
>>>> Cherokee County public records show a restraining for one Eddie Crittenden.

Anyone can get a restraining order on anyone. This was ordered dismissed and expunged by the Judge because of it was a patently false statement.

Wonder why whomever posted these lies failed to mention that Chad Smith was charged for assault to police officers and for inciting a riot. Nor did they mention that he barricaded himself inside his office when he was serving as Assistant DA in Creek County after his boss lost the DA race. Reports said Chad was screaming, I didn't lose! It was him that lost! They had to drag him out and throw him out of the building.

During the period when he led the riots, in another incident, Cherokee Marshals had to pick Smith up by the hands and feet and carry him out of a Full Council Meeting kicking and screaming, disrupting Official Council business.

The Attorney General Smith appointed under the invalid 1999 Constitution, Diane Hammons was also involved in the riots at the Court House. She was around front of the Historic Cherokee Courthouse during the riot breaking out the windows of the front doors. She too was cuffed and removed from the premises by County Officials.

Talking about a crisis. The Cherokee people have never seen such a ruthless leader in the entire history of the Cherokee Nation. Even Ross Swimmer was the vindictive venomous dictator that Chad Smith has become and that says a lot....

The time is near that the Nazi tactics of the Smith Administration will be revealed to all. Cherokees will finally know the truth about the corruption within the Cherokee Nation and it will be a great day in the Cherokee Nation when Cherokee people see Chad Smith and his gang of goons being taken to jail in cuffs and Orange jump suits on National TV.
Ed Crittenden

Talala, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 10, 2007
 
Whomever posted this comment under Tazmin has no credibility whatsoever. In fact it is obvious that it is a Smith loyalist or paid spin doctor.
The Constitutional Crisis mentioned under Joe Byrd was fabricated in every respect and Chad Smith was one of the perpetrators of that fraud.
Today the Cherokee Nation is in a REAL CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS because the Sec. of Indian Affairs has OFFICIALLY NOTIFIED Chad Smith the 1975 Constitution is the valid governing document and that he will not approve the 1999 Constitutional Amendment because Cherokee Freedmen were prevented from voting in that election.
Smith however has gone forward appointing an Attorney General, a Sec. of State, a Marshal, two Supreme Court Justices and has ADDED two additional seats on the Council representing Cherokees who live outside of the service area of the tribe. These are all provisions under the invalid 1999 Constitution.
Smith maintains that the 1999 Constitution is valid because his appointed Justices ruled it was so. This ruling was based on an affidavit by former Sec. of Indian Affairs, Neal McCalib who stated that he had intended to approve the amendment.
However McCalib had resigned as Secretary and had no authority to make any such decision long before the date of the affidavit that the majority of the Supreme Court of the Cherokee Nation rule (2-1).
The Cherokee Nation is operating outside of federal compliance under an invalid Constitution that has been officially denied by the Federal Government. Yet Smith rules the roost and bangs on the podium telling his listeners "they can't do that to us because we are a sovereign nation."
Congress has no authority to revoke State sovereignty but in the stroke of a pen Congress can rescind all tribal sovereignty. Chad Smith is pushing Congress to this limit in his typical historical arrogant behavior.
I also wish to clarify the following for the record. The comment stating:
>>> Watson also invited Ed Crittenden to her panel. Ed Crittenden has been arrested for possession of illegal drugs.
This incident occurred twenty years ago and was expunged so there was no plea of record and no criminal record exists. Since that time Ed Crittenden has been clean and sober.
Can Chad Smith say that? No Repeated reports of Chad Smith being drunk and disorderly are the norm at the Catoosa Casino where repeatedly he has been escorted to his room by security to prevent further embarrassment.
>>> He has threatened and accosted Cherokee representatives.
That statement is a bald faced lie. Ed was however accosted by Meredith Swimmer Frailey the Speaker of the Council and one of Chad Smith's political slate members after a Committee meeting in the Cherokee Council House. How seemingly harmless it is when Chad Smith people assassinate someone's character from the shadows. Yet it is kill the messenger and this has always been their tactics.
Another misleading statement:
>>>> Cherokee County public records show a restraining for one Eddie Crittenden.
Anyone can get a restraining order on anyone. This was ordered dismissed and expunged by the Judge because of it was a patently false statement.
Ed Crittenden

Talala, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 10, 2007
 
Wonder why whomever posted these lies failed to mention that Chad Smith was charged for assault to police officers and for inciting a riot. Nor did they mention that he barricaded himself inside his office when he was serving as Assistant DA in Creek County after his boss lost the DA race. Reports said Chad was screaming, I didn't lose! It was him that lost! They had to drag him out and throw him out of the building.
During the period when he led the riots, in another incident, Cherokee Marshals had to pick Smith up by the hands and feet and carry him out of a Full Council Meeting kicking and screaming, disrupting Official Council business.
The Attorney General Smith appointed under the invalid 1999 Constitution, Diane Hammons was also involved in the riots at the Court House. She was around front of the Historic Cherokee Courthouse during the riot breaking out the windows of the front doors. She too was cuffed and removed from the premises by County Officials.
Talking about a crisis. The Cherokee people have never seen such a ruthless leader in the entire history of the Cherokee Nation. Even Ross Swimmer was the vindictive venomous dictator that Chad Smith has become and that says a lot....
The time is near that the Nazi tactics of the Smith Administration will be revealed to all. Cherokees will finally know the truth about the corruption within the Cherokee Nation and it will be a great day in the Cherokee Nation when Cherokee people see Chad Smith and his gang of goons being taken to jail in cuffs and Orange jump suits on National TV.
Jerry

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 1, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The word Racism is just a PC word nothing more!!All tribes need to get FAR FAR away from the us goverment!!! They do not have the authority to tell you anything!!
Kathy

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 3, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

As long as you continue to accept money from the government, they have you.
crow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

It has said Cherokee preference on Cherokee nation job applications my entire life. Where's this guy been at? Indians can have casions and no one else can. Rascism is what keeps Indian tribes powerful.
Concerned

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

When you are given things for free and do not have to work for them it is the downfall of a people sense the beginning of time
arggg

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

those indians
CN Citizen

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 29, 2012
 
Hmmm...seems the Crittendens are good at getting their drug charges expunged.
laura

Muskogee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

well i am a full blood scot and i think it is racist how the indians want help me get out of the drafty old trailor....my if my skin were a different color.....;o)
Gail

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 20, 2013
 
Concerned wrote:
When you are given things for free and do not have to work for them it is the downfall of a people sense the beginning of time
Just goes to show that nothing is for free there is always strings attached.
Jesse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

laura wrote:
well i am a full blood scot and i think it is racist how the indians want help me get out of the drafty old trailor....my if my skin were a different color.....;o)
Want or Won't? Guess english isn't your native tongue, lol.
laura

Hugo, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

how can english be a native tungue? its english, i talk english and wont learn another just make some yippie in washington happy...these folks want a civil war? well theu going to get it again

Since: Aug 13

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Man....what the hell has my old dope smoking, acid hitting buddies been up to ? Joe Byrd, Leroy Qualls, Eddie Crittendon,,,,,btw...what's Pam look like these days ? Fill me in guys....been out of country for 20 years doing spook work. Where are they now ? What have they been doing ? Don't hold back give me some smut !

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tazmin wrote:
You would think in this day and age that the government would quit trying to exterminate the Native American tribes but it is true. The Government is doing it again.
Congresswoman Diane Watson is proposing to exterminate government relations with the Cherokee Nation. The ironic thing is she claims that it is because the Cherokee are not living up to their treaty with the federal government in 1866! Let’s see, the government stripped the Cherokee of their land and is attempting to strip them of their culture. According to the 1866 treaty, the State of Oklahoma would have been a Native American state but instead, the federal government broke the treaty and gave way to stealing the land the government promised in writing to protect!
Cherokee Nation voted that people (all people) who could not prove that they were Cherokee by blood (lineage to the Dawes roll registry) that they could not be citizens of the Cherokee Nation and be called Cherokee. Makes sense…you have to be Indian to claim it. This sounds simple enough but this would mean excluding a group called the Freedmen who were former slaves of the Cherokee, from having citizenship rights. The issue here is the Freedmen had citizenship rights for a 1 full year (ONE YEAR) only due to a judge who had her own agenda to run for Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. After failing, the saga has been set to motion. The only thing the press picked up was that that the Cherokee were kicking out all black people when that is not the case at all. If any black, white, yellow, or other race can also prove that they have Cherokee blood (like everyone else does), then they also can gain citizenship into the tribe.
Here is my personal issue…why is it that when you are Cherokee, people say they are Cherokee. They don’t say Irish Cherokee, German Cherokee, Chinese Cherokee, etc. All you hear about is Black Cherokee? I don’t get it. I am Cherokee mixed with many other races and I still say that I am Cherokee. Most people will say the same but because of all of these issues, Black Cherokee seems to be a class above all other people, both black and Cherokee.
I use to dig on Pam Crittendon down at Elk Creek...wow those were big and soft....
Jim

Muskogee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 7, 2014
 
Jerry wrote:
The word Racism is just a PC word nothing more!!All tribes need to get FAR FAR away from the us goverment!!! They do not have the authority to tell you anything!!
who do you think supports your ass? The corrupt us govt using the extorted funds they steal from the citizens of this country. How many BILLIONS every year is GIVEN to the various tribes. All funding needs to be discontinued. The tribes want to be self regulating, let them be self supporting. I've seen countless times how they squander the funds given them and the lazy mentality of their members because life is handed to them on a platter giving them no motivation to improve themselves. As in everything else there are exceptions but few in the big picture.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hulbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hugo, Oklahoma (Oct '11) 1 hr charley 26
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 3 hr TAMARA 75,083
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr Ace 2,618
Long John Silver's Tue Curious 4
2 people arrested in drowning of Jarret Clark (Aug '07) Mon boomer 125
Standing Rock Aug 22 Skeeter 3
Debate: Marijuana - Tahlequah, OK (Sep '10) Aug 21 nobody 26
•••
•••
•••

Hulbert Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hulbert People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hulbert News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hulbert
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••