Why I fear Tahlequah OK now

Posted in the Hulbert Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just Doing My Job

Ozark, AR

#1 Aug 25, 2010
I was north of Tahlequah last week just doing my job of home inspections for one of the banks. Basically they send me to make sure the home is occupied and has not been abandoned as so many have with the economy as it is.
I was driving along the highway looking for an address, slowing down at mailboxes that did actually have a posted address when a man came up and chased me down. Being a female this could is a little spooky but when he began talking it got worse. He was driving a little Ranger pickup towards Oaks just north of Tahlequah when this happened. He said " I am see-in what you are do-in and see-in if you are indian cause i shoot indians up here".
His exact words. Now add to this situation that he had a teenage boy in the truck with him who was laughing. Talk about raising a child in a good environment.
I am part Cherokee but most can tell by looking at me. My grandmother was full blood Cherokee so this makes this mentality even more ridiculous since he can't tell one from the other. I felt as my grandmother must have 100 years ago when I had to bite my tongue and not be able to proudly say YES I AM CHEROKEE. I had to keep silent because from the look in this creatures eyes, I am not sure that he wouldn't have shoot at me.
I will bypass Tahlequah from now on because of this creature and because I had stopped at a little store up the road and it seems to be a common thing for this to happen.
I guess since its 2010, I would never expect this kind of thing to happen and even though it does, it still shocks me.
expectithere

Pleasantville, IA

#2 Aug 25, 2010
Just Doing My Job wrote:
I was north of Tahlequah last week just doing my job of home inspections for one of the banks. Basically they send me to make sure the home is occupied and has not been abandoned as so many have with the economy as it is.
I was driving along the highway looking for an address, slowing down at mailboxes that did actually have a posted address when a man came up and chased me down. Being a female this could is a little spooky but when he began talking it got worse. He was driving a little Ranger pickup towards Oaks just north of Tahlequah when this happened. He said " I am see-in what you are do-in and see-in if you are indian cause i shoot indians up here".
His exact words. Now add to this situation that he had a teenage boy in the truck with him who was laughing. Talk about raising a child in a good environment.
I am part Cherokee but most can tell by looking at me. My grandmother was full blood Cherokee so this makes this mentality even more ridiculous since he can't tell one from the other. I felt as my grandmother must have 100 years ago when I had to bite my tongue and not be able to proudly say YES I AM CHEROKEE. I had to keep silent because from the look in this creatures eyes, I am not sure that he wouldn't have shoot at me.
I will bypass Tahlequah from now on because of this creature and because I had stopped at a little store up the road and it seems to be a common thing for this to happen.
I guess since its 2010, I would never expect this kind of thing to happen and even though it does, it still shocks me.
Sad isnt it but yes racism still here and it doesnt matter if your only a fraction degree of native american blood. If it shows or if you carry a traditional name you are a target. It almost seems as the racism is even worse here , right here within the Cherokee Nation. Its not only the redneck creeps that are racist believe me I know.
Ewpee

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Aug 26, 2010
Wow - I have never heard this. I went to school at Oaks, and I can tell you the community there is predominately NDN. I've not heard of white eyes taking it over. Sounds to me like someone had been drinking????(and unfortunately driving)...
Shawna

Warner, OK

#4 Aug 27, 2010
That seems a little crazy....especially considering over half of Tahlequah is Native American. And haven't heard of any of them being shot just for being so.
Just Doing My Job

Ozark, AR

#5 Aug 27, 2010
I have his tag number so I can back up it up. He was in a Ranger pick up and I hope no one has to meet up with this crazy creature.

Since: Aug 10

Warner, OK

#6 Aug 30, 2010
Just Doing My Job wrote:
I have his tag number so I can back up it up. He was in a Ranger pick up and I hope no one has to meet up with this crazy creature.
Well please remember, even though there are some idiots in this town, not all of us are like that.
Just Doing My Job

Ozark, AR

#7 Aug 30, 2010
Shawna29 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well please remember, even though there are some idiots in this town, not all of us are like that.
That is very true but even if were walking by a zoo I would not step inside a cage to pet a friendly tiger if there is an angry, man-eating lion in the cage as well.

Since: Aug 10

Warner, OK

#8 Aug 30, 2010
I completely understand, and I am so sorry that this happened to you, and embarrased that I live in a town with people that would do such a thing.
ILL NEVER TELL

United States

#9 Sep 5, 2010
He was probaly one of those indians that dont have a job and thats all he has to do is watch people. one of them that if you hid there food stamps under there workboots they would starve to death. you no what i mean.
Just doing my job

Ozark, AR

#10 Sep 5, 2010
ILL NEVER TELL wrote:
He was probaly one of those indians that dont have a job and thats all he has to do is watch people. one of them that if you hid there food stamps under there workboots they would starve to death. you no what i mean.
NO I don't know what you mean??? He was not an Indian and what does being Indian or any other race have to do with working verses not working? Know what I mean?
I can't believe that its 2010 and some people still have this backwards way of thinking!!! You just proved my point about the mentality of some creatures on this earth!!
Just doing my job

Siloam Springs, AR

#11 Oct 26, 2010
Just heard on the radio where a young student from Oaks was found shot in the head and since this incident happened to me in Oaks area it sure made me wonder.
Livonia Rez

Livonia, LA

#12 Nov 13, 2010
Just Doing My Job wrote:
You should report this creep to the authorities. He needs to be charged with a hate crime. Menacing based on ethnecity is a federal offense. Him and his kid, both.
You might be getting a killer off the streets and saving lives.
okie jo

United States

#13 Nov 14, 2010
yeah, if you got the tag number, you should have made a report to the local sheriffs dept. It is you duty as a citizen or the United States of America to try and make this a better place to live. I have lived in Cherokee County all my life and have never heard of any such thing happening around here. But I do know that if someonne is messing around someone elses property in Cherokee, yes they most likely will meet up with a gun. I t doen't make any difference as to the color or skin. People in the country usually do own a gun and will use it for their protection. That is basically the only protection we have as our deputies are uasually busy taking care of people that are not wearing seatbelts
shoot first

United States

#14 Nov 17, 2010
Next time casually reach under the seat pull out your 9 with the 17 round clip and shoot until the bubbas cease to breathe.
okie jo

United States

#15 Nov 17, 2010
shoot first wrote:
Next time casually reach under the seat pull out your 9 with the 17 round clip and shoot until the bubbas cease to breathe.
lol, that's the way it's done here in Cherokee County.
Larysa

Pawnee, OK

#16 Nov 22, 2010
There are a LOT of crazy disgusting people around here. I am so sorry that happened to you, to the original poster. Try being Jewish in Tahlequah, or worse in Muskogee. There is a bookstore in Muskogee that sells nothing but hate literature; it's called Artisan Publishers. I went in there once just to see if it was for real. I was half-afraid they had some kind of secret technology Jew detector lol.
Meh

Frisco, TX

#17 Dec 22, 2011
Did you report the guy to the police?!?
Cookson Brawler

Tahlequah, OK

#18 Jun 11, 2012
WOW
huh

Moscow, TN

#19 Jul 10, 2012
Kinda hard to believe since nothing was reported. Most people would have reported it especially if they got there tag number. But always remember this, there's always racism everywhere and it will always be this way.
wwaatteerr

United States

#20 Jul 11, 2012
Yeah I think this story's BS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hulbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chief of police Nate King (Feb '17) Sun Gayula 7
Wagoner schools , what is the problem? Dec 9 watchful in wagoner 1
The Cutting Edge Barbershop Entertains Meth Dec 9 Sheriff Boss Hogg 2
Melissa Robbins (Jan '17) Dec 4 Kami 2
Mark Vance (Jul '16) Dec 1 sass 3
Kerry Kimble (Jun '16) Dec 1 bad bitch 3
what happened on wisteria lane (Oct '10) Nov 28 ThereIsaidit 20

Hulbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance