Library regrets paying author $45,000 to speak; politican regrets calling Gaiman a'pencil-necked ...

Metro library officials are eating crow for booking a $45,000 gig with a world-renowned author, saying they now realize they should have negotiated the price tag and won't make the same mistake again. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Edwin

Saint Paul, MN

#64 May 9, 2011
coraline wrote:
I actually attended this event, and he was fabulous. It was thrilling to have an internationally-acclaimed author so accessible.
There are those of us who don't consider the arts a waste of tax money, and we'd rather invest in it than in stadiums and gambling.
It's a matter of values, and there's no need for name-calling and insults.
How can you call a comic book writer an artist? You must like the big spoon and cherry in Mpls too.
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#65 May 9, 2011
Edwin wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you call a comic book writer an artist? You must like the big spoon and cherry in Mpls too.
Hey genius, he's written a number of novels, short stories, scripts and I believe poetry as well. You are really some kinda art critic, ain't ya?
RIOT

Sun Prairie, WI

#66 May 9, 2011
Everyone is angry with the library for their "mistake". I also believe that Gaiman would not have had people angrey with him if he had kept his mouth shut. He didn't need to get involved with the question of why he was paid that fee. I would argue that once he opened up his mouth and joined in the discussion he was just as guilty as the library.
Also just a side note, he was given a motel room to rest and clean up in, he did not spend the night in this motel and that cost another $1,000.

If Gaiman was so against giving lectures than just say no. I think the library bears the brunt of what happened but he joined in so the author is now just as much accountable. Besides how many people came to listen to a fiction writer and if I recall it is science fiction?
dubaya

Saint Paul, MN

#67 May 9, 2011
Edwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or painters, for that matter. Anyone can throw paint on some paper. That's not art. No painting is art. It's paint.

And don't even get me started on pottery! grab some clay, stick your thumb in it. done!
Bubbles

Saint Paul, MN

#68 May 9, 2011
I can peee in a mason jar .... is that Art?
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#69 May 10, 2011
dubaya wrote:
<quoted text>
Or painters, for that matter. Anyone can throw paint on some paper. That's not art. No painting is art. It's paint.
And don't even get me started on pottery! grab some clay, stick your thumb in it. done!
What an art connoisseur you are! Maybe we could get together for some really enlightening conversation.
Goofy Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#70 May 10, 2011
Rob wrote:
Imagine that! A Republican free marketeer getting bent out of shape when those free market principles are put into action. Who'dda thunk there'd be a Republican hypocrite? That NEVER happens!
Same old, same old. You are really boring us.
TaxTaxTax

Minneapolis, MN

#71 May 10, 2011
Boy, athat makes me feel lots better that they "regret" it. For a minute there I thought our government decision makers with their hands in the wallets of the taxpayers were unregretful. But, now that I know they do actually regret it, all is forgiven. Oh, and, forgive me if I move to South Dakota so my wallet isn't pick-pocketed again!
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#72 May 10, 2011
RIOT wrote:
Everyone is angry with the library for their "mistake". I also believe that Gaiman would not have had people angrey with him if he had kept his mouth shut. He didn't need to get involved with the question of why he was paid that fee. I would argue that once he opened up his mouth and joined in the discussion he was just as guilty as the library.
Also just a side note, he was given a motel room to rest and clean up in, he did not spend the night in this motel and that cost another $1,000.
If Gaiman was so against giving lectures than just say no. I think the library bears the brunt of what happened but he joined in so the author is now just as much accountable. Besides how many people came to listen to a fiction writer and if I recall it is science fiction?
Did it ever occur to you that Gaiman spoke up because some politician slandered him by calling him a thief?

Or would you think it peachy keen if some politician called YOU a thief? The bottom line remains that Gaiman stated a fee and the library AGREED to it. The fault was the library's not Gaiman's.

I bet all of you criticizing Gaiman are just fine with taxpayers paying for a new sports stadium aren't you.
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#73 May 10, 2011
Goofy Rob wrote:
<quoted text>Same old, same old. You are really boring us.
Apparently you're not bored enough to avoid responding without a salient response.
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#74 May 10, 2011
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it ever occur to you that Gaiman spoke up because some politician slandered him by calling him a thief?
Or would you think it peachy keen if some politician called YOU a thief? The bottom line remains that Gaiman stated a fee and the library AGREED to it. The fault was the library's not Gaiman's.
I bet all of you criticizing Gaiman are just fine with taxpayers paying for a new sports stadium aren't you.
But Sarah, sports are for everyone. We NEED that stadium, like the new St. Croix River Bridge, like a hole in the head...
Tax payer

United States

#75 May 11, 2011
People can't complain think you hear complaining now wait till Metropolitan Council gets thru with Elmo. People keep electing same people over and over. They won't stop running for office either afraid they will have to live by some of the laws they passed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hugo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Sep 26 Bart Quiz 89
Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) Aug '14 Sangelia 64
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
White Bear Lake meeting set to discuss water is... Jul '14 john 1
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Jul '14 St Pauls Church 12
hx of bullying at Mahtomedi schools (Oct '09) May '14 Therarestflower 6
Lino Lakes Prison (Sep '12) May '14 JJJ 3
Hugo Dating
Find my Match

Hugo Jobs

Hugo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hugo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hugo

Personal Finance