Library regrets paying author $45,000...

Library regrets paying author $45,000 to speak; politican regrets calling Gaiman a'pencil-necked ...

There are 73 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 7, 2011, titled Library regrets paying author $45,000 to speak; politican regrets calling Gaiman a'pencil-necked .... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Metro library officials are eating crow for booking a $45,000 gig with a world-renowned author, saying they now realize they should have negotiated the price tag and won't make the same mistake again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mark Winshel

Walnut Creek, CA

#1 May 7, 2011
I would assume this particular library is a government run and taxpayer supported institution. So most likely by paying 45K to this guy to give a speech, it was trying to "prove" that government: one, is presently underfunded, two, has a legitimate need to raise taxes; and three, is using the money it already has as efficiently as possible.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#2 May 7, 2011
If the board members are so sorry, how about pay the 45,000 back?
Imjustsaying

Saint Paul, MN

#3 May 7, 2011
I'm sure the speech was great, but I wish the money had been spent on books. The new library building in Roseville has lots of room for more children's books than it has. Imagine how much difference $45,000 worth of books would make.
carlos

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 7, 2011
Mark Winshel wrote:
I would assume this particular library is a government run and taxpayer supported institution. So most likely by paying 45K to this guy to give a speech, it was trying to "prove" that government: one, is presently underfunded, two, has a legitimate need to raise taxes; and three, is using the money it already has as efficiently as possible.
The city of Lake Elmo is thinking of starting their own library. Yes its true. They are surrounded by libraries yet feel thats not enough. Talk about fiscial responsibility. Then they can go into a bidding war for guest speakers with a library that is only 3 miles away. But hey, its someone else's money, who cares. It will give them a chance to raise taxes on residents.
Julie

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 7, 2011
Imjustsaying wrote:
I'm sure the speech was great, but I wish the money had been spent on books. The new library building in Roseville has lots of room for more children's books than it has. Imagine how much difference $45,000 worth of books would make.
How do you know the speach was great. Do you think the guy cared about anything other than the money. Now the leaders that landed the guy can smooze and feel important. I'm impressed. What are they going to do for an encore? Someone should be canned. And by the way, kids today are not deprived. They have plenty of options and reading material.
East Sider

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 7, 2011
Rep. Dean -
I can't emphasis how wrong you were in calling him "pencil necked" - his picture shows a neck a bit more distended into a diappearing jawline - like one of his querulous comic characters.

The sketch of the weasel needs to be accurate when we put up the wanted poster for stealling $45k.
Outsidelookingin

Grantsburg, WI

#7 May 7, 2011
I would have given a speech there for $10,000 and saved them lots of money.
Next

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 7, 2011
"In response to Dean's remarks, Gaiman wrote in his blog that he doesn't appreciate being called a thief and likened Dean to a bully."

Hey Gaiman, then DON'T ACT LIKE ONE. After all your tremendous success it should be GIVING BACK when speaking to a library group as you know full well they are not for profit taxpayer financed.
Trolls are out

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 7, 2011
I hope most of you will gladly decline any raises you will receive from your jobs. If the free market will bear $45K, what's wrong with that? And don't give me that BS that it came from your tax dollars. If you paid anything to fund these libraries, you probably paid .0007.
Coyote

Maple Grove, MN

#10 May 7, 2011
Trolls are out is right. This isn't Gaiman's fault. He asked for what he wanted and he got it. The library has learned a lesson and hopefully Dean has too. Maybe the public has also learned a lesson about not voting in something as ridiculous as the Legacy Amendment.
coraline

Stillwater, MN

#11 May 7, 2011
Gaiman is a superstar in the literary world. I'm sure no one would think twice if Brett Favre asked for--and received--$45,000. Such a double standard, and I'm embarrassed by Matt Dean's remarks.
beeecause

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 7, 2011
Trolls are out wrote:
I hope most of you will gladly decline any raises you will receive from your jobs. If the free market will bear $45K, what's wrong with that? And don't give me that BS that it came from your tax dollars. If you paid anything to fund these libraries, you probably paid .0007.
And you are the PRIME example of why our governments are in such trouble with your typical liberal backasswards "thinking". Luckily we now have some adults in charge who will expose these ridiculous expenditures.

United States of America

#13 May 7, 2011
He is still a pencil necked geek of a thief. He says he gave it to charity, I'd like to see proof of it.
Wisconsin Legacy

AOL

#14 May 7, 2011
We paid $45,000 of the "Minnesota" Legacy Fund to a Wisconsin author? If this guy is a "superstar in the literary world", they should have had him speak in conjuction with a $100 a plate dinner or fundraiser of some sort to recoup those funds. Time for the Repubicans to put a stop to these expensive taxpayer funded "learning moments".
Fluffer

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 7, 2011
Oh well. The same clowns thought building a wooden staircase (from the bluff down to the fallen 94 bridge) was a bargain @ $180k.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#17 May 7, 2011
The Negotiator wrote:
He is still a pencil necked geek of a thief. He says he gave it to charity, I'd like to see proof of it.
Where did Gaiman FORCE the library to pay him the fee? He told them his fee and THEY accepted it. No one was holding a gun to their head.

And he doesn't have to prove anything to you. You sound like one of those tin foil hat wearing birthers.
hdog

Saint Paul, MN

#18 May 7, 2011
Typical self-important artist thinks he's worth that kind of fee....I rather doubt he is. But that said, be careful what you say in public, Mr. Politician, because saying mean-spirited things will come back to haunt you. Count on it. As posters above said, this is the fault of the library alone. I'm sure they won't fall for it again, after this debacle.

United States of America

#19 May 7, 2011
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did Gaiman FORCE the library to pay him the fee? He told them his fee and THEY accepted it. No one was holding a gun to their head.
And he doesn't have to prove anything to you. You sound like one of those tin foil hat wearing birthers.
And you sound very judgemental, or just mental. I just don't believe he gave the money away, is he a millionaire?
old guy

United States

#20 May 7, 2011
The Negotiator wrote:
<quoted text> And you sound very judgemental, or just mental. I just don't believe he gave the money away, is he a millionaire?
Who the hell are you to call someone mental, have looked in the mirror lately, and nobody cares what you believe.
Dean Supporter

Luck, WI

#21 May 7, 2011
Dean was right about this pencil-neck! I suspect this pencil-neck won't be showing up at his next fundraiser however.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hugo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Jul 18 Atendee 143
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
News Police Responded to White Bear Lake Home 49 Tim... (Aug '15) Dec '16 Drama queen ice 7
Just curious...what can Hugo do better? (May '16) Nov '16 citizen for a bet... 2
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News North/east news briefs: Coon Rapids rewrites ya... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Pleasant Valley S... 1

Hugo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hugo Mortgages