Hugo / Trucker acquitted in crash tha...

Hugo / Trucker acquitted in crash that killed 3

There are 19 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Hugo / Trucker acquitted in crash that killed 3. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A truck driver involved in a 2009 fatal accident in Hugo has been acquitted of criminal charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Whatever

Littleton, MA

#3 Jan 7, 2011
Wrong jackwagon, The driver admitted to following another vehicle within 40 feet. He could not see over or around it and when it pulled over it was too late. Had he been 500 feet back like they recommend for a trucker 3 people would be alive and that guy would not be carrying this around for the rest of his life.
Ya know

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jan 7, 2011
Well...I'll bet the victim's families feel so much better now that it has been determined that "it was just an accident".

Ya hit a vehicle hard enough to kill everyone inside of it tells me that there's more to it than 'just an accident".
Jane

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 7, 2011
lol wrote:
The criminal here was the district attorney bolstering. Making up a senerio in hiss dreams trying to make him look guilty. This happens in all cases not extorted. This is a feloney that is never been persued. District attorneys never obey the laws . they are above the laws. This will be deleted because the thought police are afraid of the truth. They only allow the propaganda from the CRIMINAL JUST US system. This was a sevearl thousand dollar theft from the defendent for losse of wages and money spent on defense.
District attorneys will spend thousands to get a conviction on a petty crime.
Reality and truth are not allowed in todays courts.
Go ahead and delete . the people know who has done all the harm and there media lapdog who allows these reign of terrors to go on.
You cannot beat city Hall!
Jane

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jan 7, 2011
Thought I'd save it B4 it gets deleted.

Whomever you are addressing has $$$$ to delete your posts. Probably public $$$ right out of your back pocket. Censorship 101, just like Hitler would do it. And we are in the FREE SPEACH USA and it's 2011 AD.

And the constitution is being followed by whom?
Michael Dreawves

Cold Spring, MN

#9 Jan 7, 2011
The truck driver was acquitted because not all information was allowed in the trial. Police investigated that two minutes prior to the truck driver calling 911, he was on the phone; therefore, was on the phone at the time he struck the vehicle and literally slaughtered the three victims in the mini-van. One of the victims suffered three months after the accident in the hospital with a shattered body and the knowledge that her relatives with her that day died. The investigation also showed that this truck driver never even hit the breaks until he was 23 ft from the mini-van. The phone records were not allowed in court, which therefore, the jury did not have that information. In closing arguments the defense attorney stated that if the prosecuting attorney thought that the phone records would make a difference they would have used them. That was a blatant lie, as the prosecution wanted to use the phone records, but the judge ruled it out. Also, the judge never corrected the defense attorney during closing arguments of his misstatement, which I believe aided the jury into believing this was a mere accident. It was not. The driver was occupied with a phone call and negligent in his driving. And he absolutely failed to break or make an attempt to avoid collision with the mini-van. The result? Three women brutally killed by a semi-truck that witnesses say knew it was going to happen and could do nothing about it.

Since: Apr 09

St. Paul, Minnesota

#10 Jan 7, 2011
The First Amendment protects us from government censorship - does Topix represent the government in any way, shape or form? Feel free to create and fund your own forum if you can't accept censorship.

DA's will take any case they think they can win, pure and simple. All they care about is how many wins they have under their belts - it's a big help come time to climb that ladder.

Prayers to all involved - none of those four people got on the road that day expecting it to be their last day or their last "normal" day.
lol

Cornell, WI

#11 Jan 7, 2011
870girl wrote:
The First Amendment protects us from government censorship - does Topix represent the government in any way, shape or form? Feel free to create and fund your own forum if you can't accept censorship.
DA's will take any case they think they can win, pure and simple. All they care about is how many wins they have under their belts - it's a big help come time to climb that ladder.
Prayers to all involved - none of those four people got on the road that day expecting it to be their last day or their last "normal" day.
There was no criminal intent so no crime. This da was hoping on the rigged court helping. In most jury trials the judge only allows the jury to here bits and peaces. This just confuses and creates the untrues for a conviction. There never was criminal intent. This defendants lawyers fees were a theft by this just us system. These deaths are travisty. If truck drivers were not prfessionals the deaths would be greater. The cars never respect that truck or it`s stopping ability.
Jane

Delano, MN

#12 Jan 7, 2011
870girl wrote:
The First Amendment protects us from government censorship - does Topix represent the government in any way, shape or form? Feel free to create and fund your own forum if you can't accept censorship.
DA's will take any case they think they can win, pure and simple. All they care about is how many wins they have under their belts - it's a big help come time to climb that ladder.
Prayers to all involved - none of those four people got on the road that day expecting it to be their last day or their last "normal" day.
This is a public forum, correct?

The forum is available for use in the USA, correct?

So who does the First Amendment apply to?

IF a Government agency ANY LEVEL causes a post out here to be deleted IMHO it would constitute CENSORSHIP!

This forum is sponsered by a newspaper which historically was the main thrust of the First Amendment, correct?
bob

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jan 7, 2011
Why was LOL's post deleted. I agree with him/her.

Since: Jun 09

Olathe, KS

#14 Jan 7, 2011
bob wrote:
Why was LOL's post deleted. I agree with him/her.
Because lol is the biggest troll and possibly the most vile person to post on here. Read the terms of service.
Kim

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jan 7, 2011
This is an outrage! Who's the judge?
Kim

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jan 7, 2011
"Jane" needs to learn how to spell. Can you say, EDUCATION?
Whatever

Littleton, MA

#17 Jan 7, 2011
Kim,

It's called a jury of your peers
Thinking too much

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jan 7, 2011
People judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold, but so has a hard-boiled egg.

If only the jury had thought this.
Steve-Tina Wanner

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jan 7, 2011
Let me ask you. What would you do if it was your Mother or Family Member? I can make a sure bet that you would be outraged at the verdict. All the evidence was right in front of the jury from the State Troopers to the witnesses that the driver of the semi was following to close not paying attention to the road and was also on his cell phone 2 minutes before the accident which could not be used in court because the Judge would not allow it. We hope he thinks about this everyday that he got away with killing 3 people. He should not even be behind the wheel of a semi right now people who are not in a right frame of mind ARE an accident waiting to happen. How can someone that killed 3 people concentrate on the road while having that in the back of his mind everyday.
Disappointed

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jan 7, 2011
Too many people are killed as a result of a semi-truck rear-ending their vehicle. Something needs to be done to outlaw cell phone use while operating a truck. How many people need to die because of drivers being distracted by cell phone use.
It is pretty obvious if this driver was on his cell phone two minutes before calling 911, he was on it at time of impact or seconds before. I would love to hear from the person he was talking to two minutes before calling 911. Maybe that person should have been called to court to swear to tell the truth and questioned on whether or not this guy was talking to him/her when he smashed into the van.
Taken from the MN Commercial Driver's Manual "If drivers react a half-second slower because of
distractions, crashes double."

As a driver, whether in a semi or a Volkswagon Beetle, you are to be in control of your vehicle at all times. The road was not icy, it was not raining, it was a clear day. If the driver was paying attention to driving his truck, three people would be with their families today.

I hope this guy is haunted by his actions every day. I hope that every time he picks up his cell phone while driving, he remembers that day in August when he killed three women and puts the cell phone down. No phone call is as important as someone's life.
compassion for all

Elk River, MN

#21 Jan 7, 2011
My heart goes out to the 3 victims who lost their lives and their families who are forever changed by this tragedy. Words cannot begin to describe their loss.

My heart also goes out to the truck driver and his family, whose lives were forever changed as well. I truly believe not a day goes by, when the truck driver doesn't replay the accident in his mind and have terrible heartache for the families involved.

He certainly didn't leave that morning with the intention of killing someone. It was an accident. Whether he was distracted at the time, or not, truly doesn't change the fact that it was an accident. I'm sure he would give anything to change that moment in time.

I pray that all involved are able to find forgiveness and peace. I also pray that if I would ever be involved in a similar situation, on either side, that I would find compassion, forgiveness and understanding.
friend of family

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jan 8, 2011
I think that if the judge allowed some of the evidence in this trial that there would of been a guilty plea. I feel bad for the family and what they have been through in the last couple of years of this accident. Because of the judge and jury this truck driver got off scot free. I hope that the driver thinks about what he did and does pay attention to the road so this does NOT happen again.
Steven wanner jr

Minneapolis, MN

#24 Tuesday May 9
Michael Dreawves wrote:
The truck driver was acquitted because not all information was allowed in the trial. Police investigated that two minutes prior to the truck driver calling 911, he was on the phone; therefore, was on the phone at the time he struck the vehicle and literally slaughtered the three victims in the mini-van. One of the victims suffered three months after the accident in the hospital with a shattered body and the knowledge that her relatives with her that day died. The investigation also showed that this truck driver never even hit the breaks until he was 23 ft from the mini-van. The phone records were not allowed in court, which therefore, the jury did not have that information. In closing arguments the defense attorney stated that if the prosecuting attorney thought that the phone records would make a difference they would have used them. That was a blatant lie, as the prosecution wanted to use the phone records, but the judge ruled it out. Also, the judge never corrected the defense attorney during closing arguments of his misstatement, which I believe aided the jury into believing this was a mere accident. It was not. The driver was occupied with a phone call and negligent in his driving. And he absolutely failed to break or make an attempt to avoid collision with the mini-van. The result? Three women brutally killed by a semi-truck that witnesses say knew it was going to happen and could do nothing about it.
Id like to meet that truck driver one day

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hugo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Apr 30 Cjm 140
New restaurant office Bristol Mar '17 Hairless food plz 3
News Police Responded to White Bear Lake Home 49 Tim... (Aug '15) Dec '16 Drama queen ice 7
Just curious...what can Hugo do better? (May '16) Nov '16 citizen for a bet... 2
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Sep '16 due diligence che... 17
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News North/east news briefs: Coon Rapids rewrites ya... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Pleasant Valley S... 1

Hugo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hugo Mortgages