She was trapped and frantic ... and h...

She was trapped and frantic ... and her car kept sinking

There are 122 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 12, 2010, titled She was trapped and frantic ... and her car kept sinking. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Bryan A Peltier: I did everything I could to save her. On Saturday afternoon, as her Ford Explorer slowly sank into a storm-retention pond in Hugo, Debbie Joy Porterfield pleaded with Bryan Peltier to save her life.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Lonny MacDougall

Queen Creek, AZ

#144 Apr 16, 2010
I told you it would be hard to take. Remember, a criminal with a gun is a danger to everybody. An individual in a sinking car the only one in danger until someone else enters the water. In most of these accidents a professional does not get to the scene until long after the vehicle is already sunk. Cops nor firefighters can't be everywhere at once. What do you think might have happened if Debbie Joy had a seatbelt designed to be used as a glass break device? Think she might have smashed the glass and gotten out? Do you think that if hundreds of people are dying this way every year and it would cost pocket change to fix the problem, should NHTSA and the automakers fix this safety hazzard?
Martha wrote:
<quoted text>
Officers carrying a glass breaking tool would not expose them to undo risk, would it?
If an officer I would want to be prepared and contribute to "Protecting and Serving" the people. I would carry an inflatable life vest and a glass breaking tool to enhance the chance of saving someone, Protect and Serve.
Sounds like the realtor who got wet could be a good deputy, IMHO.
Law Enforcement professionals encounter risk on a daily basis and if this is a problem then they need to find a different profession.
The Woodbury officer in the shooting yesterday didn't notice there was a gun and turn and run or watch, he stood up and engaged the crimminal.
Mary Kay Kidwell

United States

#145 Apr 16, 2010
Okay, everyone, please listen and learn, please. For the past two and a half years I have researched every aspect of vehicle immersion accidents. Every day I receive a google alert, and every day I relive my grandson's tragic death; drowning is a horrible way to die.

Now my mission is to teach people how to survive. In order to provide survival information that is easy to remember and implement, we must keep it simple. And we must rely on the experiences of other victims, survivors and rescue teams. The Indiana State Police Divers know from experience what to do (please watch the video I mentioned in an earlier post: Two Minutes to Survival; it's on igot2know.com ). And they also know that self survival is crucial because in most cases rescuers are not instantly available (and, yes, police are taught to call for professional divers rather than risk their own lives).

Vehicles go into water in various ways, most of which involve the front of the car nosing down at an angle because of the weight of the engine. Most bodies of water are murky at best. Everyone panics. Many professional tests have been conducted to determine the most effective method; all experts agree that immediate exit via a window is vital.

Having a tool at hand, any glass-breaking tool, is much easier for victims, who range from strong youths to the physically limited to the elderly. A tool, and proper training, will save lives. The acronym POGO is easy to remember and to implement: Pop your seatbelt; Open (or break) a window; Get Out! Then climb atop the car and call for help or get to shore.

Now, it's fine to test window breaking on land, but conditions are totally different in water. In one case, a strong man was unable to break his window after applying all his might. Fortunately, he was able to pull out the lug wrench from under the seat and use that.

In my grandson's case, he made sure his passenger, who was not a strong swimmer, got out by forcing open the passenger door. Unfortunately, he did not know that by opening that door he caused the car to flood more quickly and the door to be forced shut by the strength of the water. He was a competitive swimmer, a lifeguard, a smart kid, but he could not get out of the car in time because he had not been trained in vehicle immersion survival. It was not something he, or any of us, had ever expected to encounter here in landlocked Indiana.

Please consider helping spread the important information provided in the ISP video. And if you would like to learn more about this issue, my web site is available at http://sites.google.com/site/getoutaliveorg/ . Rather than speculate and debate, learn from the experts and share this knowledge with your family and friends. This kind of accident can happen anywhere, any time, to anyone. Stay safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hugo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DNA Evidence Links Inmate To 2000 Rape (Feb '06) Jul 15 dreams1961 2
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Jul 12 Randy 110
News When it comes to Africans in Minnesota, the num... Jul 7 This IS GOOD 1
noel attaway lmao (Jan '15) Jul 6 AnyOneButYou 2
News Ramsey County commissioners poised to approve 2... Jul 1 Stealing Taxpayer... 2
News Library regrets paying author $45,000 to speak;... (May '11) Jul 1 indict abe foxman 73
News Club Book brings award-winning authors to area ... (Apr '10) Jul 1 zioist media cabal 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hugo Mortgages