She was trapped and frantic ... and her car kept sinking

Bryan A Peltier: I did everything I could to save her. On Saturday afternoon, as her Ford Explorer slowly sank into a storm-retention pond in Hugo, Debbie Joy Porterfield pleaded with Bryan Peltier to save her life. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Rose

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 12, 2010
This has convinced me to do what I was thinking about today as I drove on 35W..........it is time to buy one of those small hammer devices for breaking out your car window.
WhatTheHeck

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 12, 2010
Good idea, Rose.
impeachobamanow

Falcon, NC

#3 Apr 13, 2010
Keep a hatchet, a fire exstinguisher, and a blanket in your vehicle...always.
Bryan, you did what you could, God Bless You!
Your effort is to be commended...many would never even attempt what you did.
Just Me

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 13, 2010
Mr. Peltier-You did what many people wouldn't do in this day and age-you did what you could.
ranger

United States

#5 Apr 13, 2010
I can't imagine how horrible this was for both people involved. Peace be with you Mr. Peltier, you did all you were able to do at that time.
Blah Blah Blah

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 13, 2010
Mr. Peltier, you did everything you could to save her. Don't feel guilty about it! And if this was an alcohol factor to the accident, she was lucky enough to have you and the other guys around to try to save her.
Hank from St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 13, 2010
Mr Peltier,
You put your own life at risk to save someone elses. You did all you could.
For that you are a hero.
XD40 Fan

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 13, 2010
Hey Bryan, even professional rescue personnel are trained that sometimes fate is beyond their efforts. You did what you could in the circumstance. I pray you find peace in that realization.
West Side for Life

United States

#9 Apr 13, 2010
My thoughts and prayers go out to both this womans family and to Bryan. R.I.P. and Bryan, sweetie, you did all you could, you put your own safety at risk to try to save someone you didn't even know. For that you should be commended. There are not many people who would have had your courage. Please do not punish yourself for what you had no control over, but please be proud of the effort you made. If she had been my loved one, I would only thank you and be forever grateful, and I would most definitley consider you a HERO. Much love and gratitude for your compassion. Keep your head up and be proud.
Manual

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Apr 13, 2010
Mr. Peltier,
Rest assured you did all you could.

This is the exact reason I have manual locks and manual windows on my car.
JehovahsWitnessP rotection

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Apr 13, 2010
Rose wrote:
This has convinced me to do what I was thinking about today as I drove on 35W..........it is time to buy one of those small hammer devices for breaking out your car window.
Good point. I'm ordering a couple of them now on Amazon. Fists are no match for tempered auto glass. The tool also has a hook knife for cutting through seat belt webbing.
http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Orange-Origi...
The Leprechaun

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 13, 2010
The young man is a hero for attempting to save this woman.
Bryan

Rochester, MN

#13 Apr 13, 2010
I met you years ago in a real estate class and was amazed by your how genuine of a person you were. It doesn't suprise me one bit that you would do absolutely everything in your power to save another's life. I hope that you understand this and are able to cope with this traumatic experience. I also wish the best for Debbie's friends and family members as they too try to cope with their loss during this difficult time.
Hmmm

Hastings, MN

#14 Apr 13, 2010
My condolences to her family, R.I.P.
if alcohol was involved at least she didnt kill or hurt anyone else.

Brian you did the best possible.

11 minutes for the fire dept. WOW! Nothing against volunteers (you guys rock) but, A career department would have been there in 4 min which probably would have made all the difference in the world.
Praying for Peltier

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 13, 2010
Bryan, you certainly did a lot more than many would do. It was out of your hands and out of your control. I pray that the visions you must be having will disappear quickly and that people will learn something from this. You did all you could have. Just being able to think clearly is difficult. I hope you will find peace.
Christy Porterfield

Madison, WI

#17 Apr 13, 2010
I just want to say that the visual that has now been presented to all of us makes the loss even harder to deal with. We did not know that Debbie was awake and pleading for her life. This is difficult to hear when the reality hasn't even settled in yet.
South St Paul

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#18 Apr 13, 2010
Thank you, Mr. Peltier, for not being afraid to get involved. I cannot imagine how such an event must feel and only hope you find some peace with the events that occurred. You are a wonderfully brave man.

Also? My condolences to the Porterfield family. Regardless of whether she had been drinking or not, clearly a life was lost far too soon than it should have been and that is nothing short of tragic.

“Just dance.........”

Since: Jan 09

East Side

#19 Apr 13, 2010
What an awful thing to experience. Trying to save someone & not knowing what else you can do..........
Jon Jordan

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Apr 13, 2010
A true hero!
roflmao

Gilbert, AZ

#24 Apr 13, 2010
sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hugo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle brook is a joke (Dec '11) Sep 18 Substantiation Re... 88
Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change (Jan '06) Aug '14 Sangelia 64
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
White Bear Lake meeting set to discuss water is... Jul '14 john 1
Irrigation Outfitters - Tax fraud (Mar '08) Jul '14 St Pauls Church 12
hx of bullying at Mahtomedi schools (Oct '09) May '14 Therarestflower 6
Lino Lakes Prison (Sep '12) May '14 JJJ 3
•••
•••

Hugo Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hugo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE