Since: May 12

Jonesboro, AR

#21 Nov 15, 2012
LA is a great school. I went to Lee, attended college on a full scholarship. Went on to get a Master's degree. I had classmates that attended excellent private colleges both in Arkansas and other states. Some of my peers from LA have gone to medical school, law school, become successful bankers, farmers, and small business owners. In addition an alum of LA today was voted Speaker of the Arkansas House of Reps. I feel my education was equal to, if not better than, that of friends and college peers who attended public schools. When entering college I was prepared for the classes and the challenges of the work load. There is nothing wrong with Lee, it's a good school.

Jonesboro, AR

#22 Nov 16, 2012
Lee Academy also passes students that make straight F's. I've seen it happen. This tells me that they're more interested in money than they are the education of their students.
I Think

United States

#23 Nov 16, 2012
Long story short if you have children DONT come to this part of Arkansas!!!!!

“The Dawg is In!”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#24 Nov 16, 2012
guest wrote:
Lee Academy also passes students that make straight F's. I've seen it happen. This tells me that they're more interested in money than they are the education of their students.
I call bullish!t.

I personally know three students that were held back last year.

Jonesboro, AR

#25 Nov 16, 2012
I personally know one that has been passed for the past 2 or 3 years and shoud've been held back.
guest1

United States

#26 Nov 16, 2012
LA is a great school. Several students have transferred there from FC because the violence is so bad,especially at the hs.
Regarding students not getting held back it's usually the parents that refuse it, plus studies have shown that students that are held generally fail the same grade again. There is good and bad at every school whatever suits your family's needs will work out best wherever you end up. Good luck and get ready to deal with the ignorant people around here as you may have already seen!

Hot Springs Village, AR

#27 Nov 17, 2012
I have seen students succeed and fail at ALL schools in the area. The education is there at all schools if the student WANTS an education. Are there problems at every school? ABSOLUTELY. It is a matter of what you think is BEST for YOUR child. Every child is different. You have to be the judge for yourself. You know your child better than anyone. A student will succeed anywhere if given a chance. Good luck.

Longview, TX

#28 Nov 18, 2012
Most students grades are a direct reflection of their home environment.

“The Dawg is In!”

Location hidden

#29 Nov 18, 2012
Guest wrote:
Bingo.
hopsquatch

United States

#30 Nov 18, 2012
Guest wrote:
Really....I have one kid that makes straight a's and one that is a drop out.....at some point everything is not the parents fault...own up to your own zhit....own it....

“The Dawg is In!”

Location hidden

#31 Nov 18, 2012
hopsquatch wrote:
<quoted text>Really....I have one kid that makes straight a's and one that is a drop out.....at some point everything is not the parents fault...own up to your own zhit....own it....
If it's not the parents fault, who's fault is it? Who's responsibility is it to keep someone else's kids out of trouble? Sometimes kids don't turn out the way that you want, but you can't point the finger at other people. If your kid that you raised turns out worthless, you own it, it's yours.

Hot Springs Village, AR

#32 Nov 19, 2012
Scuba Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's not the parents fault, who's fault is it? Who's responsibility is it to keep someone else's kids out of trouble? Sometimes kids don't turn out the way that you want, but you can't point the finger at other people. If your kid that you raised turns out worthless, you own it, it's yours.
I do agree that it is the parents responsibility to do the best job they can. But at some point, the kids makes their own decisions and the parents can not take the blame. I have seen some good parents have one child that is good and one that is worthless. People have to be accountable for their own actions at some age. It is not AWAYS the parents. Some sorry parents have kids that turn out great. Who is responsible for that? Raising kids is a very difficult responsibility.

“The Dawg is In!”

Location hidden

#33 Nov 19, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>I do agree that it is the parents responsibility to do the best job they can. But at some point, the kids makes their own decisions and the parents can not take the blame. I have seen some good parents have one child that is good and one that is worthless. People have to be accountable for their own actions at some age. It is not AWAYS the parents. Some sorry parents have kids that turn out great. Who is responsible for that? Raising kids is a very difficult responsibility.
If the parent is not at fault, who is?

If the child gets mixed up in the wrong crowd, whose job is it to ground the child?

If the child has problems at school, who's responsibility is it to go up there and set it straight?

If a kid is using drugs or alcohol, who ha to step up and either stop it or get the child help?

Even though the parent or guardian isn't always successful in raising a good kid, the responsibility is with them. Not teachers, preachers, cops, fireman, mayors, presidents, neighbors, judges, friends, relatives, etc.

Hot Springs Village, AR

#34 Nov 20, 2012
Scuba Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
If the parent is not at fault, who is?
If the child gets mixed up in the wrong crowd, whose job is it to ground the child?
If the child has problems at school, who's responsibility is it to go up there and set it straight?
If a kid is using drugs or alcohol, who ha to step up and either stop it or get the child help?
Even though the parent or guardian isn't always successful in raising a good kid, the responsibility is with them. Not teachers, preachers, cops, fireman, mayors, presidents, neighbors, judges, friends, relatives, etc.
I agree it is not the OTHER peoples's fault. It is the fault of the individual child. They make their own choices at some point. I have seen children grow up in a wonderful home and when they get GROWN, they make poor choices. That is no ones fault but their own.
Frustrated Parent

United States

#35 Dec 6, 2012
Guest wrote:
Their behavior and level of respect may be able to be blamed on their home environment, but grades can not. They get those from what the teachers teach them, they have classwork grades, quizzes, projects, tests and more all at school with teachers. We are responsible for making sure they do homework at home, and that grade barely makes a difference in their overall grade. So, what you said is complete BS. Their grades are a direct reflection of their teachers failing to educate them.
Frustrated Parent

United States

#36 Dec 6, 2012
Scuba Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop passing the blame game, some of us are good parents who teach our kids right from wrong, morals, respect, and we are sick of people like you blaming us. Actually, from the time kids get to the bus stop, in the mornings, until they leave the bus stop in the afternoon, schools have loco parentis, which makes them acting parents, so they are responsible, just as we are responsible when they are with us. When they reach an age where they know right from wrong, they are responsible for their own actions. Our job is to teach them right and wrong, but we can not always force them to choose right from wrong. They must take responsibility for their own actions, just as all people are for their own actions. Is it your parents fault you have a messed up way of looking at life and hold parents at blame for things they can not always control? The schools are in bad shape now because most school employees think the same one sided way that you do, and it will keep getting worse until you all's eyes are opened. Schools force kids to go to school, it's not like we asked them to babysit, we pay taxes that pay their salaries for them to educate our children and keep them safe and give them a safe environment to learn in. They don't do their jobs, and need to take responsibility for their actions.

“The Dawg is In!”

Location hidden

#37 Dec 6, 2012
Frustrated Parent wrote:
<quoted text>Stop passing the blame game, some of us are good parents who teach our kids right from wrong, morals, respect, and we are sick of people like you blaming us. Actually, from the time kids get to the bus stop, in the mornings, until they leave the bus stop in the afternoon, schools have loco parentis, which makes them acting parents, so they are responsible, just as we are responsible when they are with us. When they reach an age where they know right from wrong, they are responsible for their own actions. Our job is to teach them right and wrong, but we can not always force them to choose right from wrong. They must take responsibility for their own actions, just as all people are for their own actions. Is it your parents fault you have a messed up way of looking at life and hold parents at blame for things they can not always control? The schools are in bad shape now because most school employees think the same one sided way that you do, and it will keep getting worse until you all's eyes are opened. Schools force kids to go to school, it's not like we asked them to babysit, we pay taxes that pay their salaries for them to educate our children and keep them safe and give them a safe environment to learn in. They don't do their jobs, and need to take responsibility for their actions.
You can't blame the schools for the way your kids turn out.

You have the option to move to a better area, change school districts, send them to private school, or home school school them.

You also have option to volunteer uour time, attend board meetings, or even run for a position on that board.

If you are not satisfied with the school, do something about it. Don't sit around and complain about how someone else isn't raising your kids the way you think they should. If your kids aren't doing right, it's up to you to fix it.
Frustrated Parent

United States

#38 Dec 6, 2012
Scuba Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't blame the schools for the way your kids turn out.
You have the option to move to a better area, change school districts, send them to private school, or home school school them.
You also have option to volunteer uour time, attend board meetings, or even run for a position on that board.
If you are not satisfied with the school, do something about it. Don't sit around and complain about how someone else isn't raising your kids the way you think they should. If your kids aren't doing right, it's up to you to fix it.
Teachers teach academics, life skills, character, and socialization skills, that is part of what is instilled in our children and partly become who they turn out to be. No, some of us have no option to move to a better area due to limited income, I tried changing my kids to a different district through school choice, from FC to Wynne, they denied me because my kids were white, they have to keep races balanced in that program, said if my kids were mixed or black I could. It costs a lot of money to send them to private schools and buy materials to home school, money we have to use to shelter them, feed them, cloth them and all other things parents are responsible for doing. My child got beaten by gangs 2 times in one day, in bus line where at least 9 teachers were. He was pushed in front of a bus, and had to be taken to E.R. and Dentist for fractured teeth. No school staff could tell me what happened to my child, or why they did not take him to the ER. They did not even call me and tell me, nor did they provide protection or a safe environment for my child to learn in. The security cameras were useless in pointing out the assailants, because they were too far away and because they were all black and wearing the same color uniforms, you could not identify them, so the schools let them get away with it. I had to watch my child in agonizing pain, until our insurance approved a root canal. So DO NOT defend that school or it's neglectful, unresponsible, careless employees. My child has never gotten contusions and fractured teeth while under my supervision, I would not have allowed it, but I sent my child to school because the law made me and that's what he got while under their supervision, they didn't try to stop it and did nothing to them after the first incident and because they did nothing it allowed a second beating. I guess that's my fault too. My child tested to be 3 grade levels behind, due to them wanting to punish him more than educate him, because he had a disability. My child refused to go back, out of fear it would happen again. So I got some help to get a few supplies and I homeschooled. In 12 mo. time, when tested by home school my child jumped 2 grade levels. But the schools always complained my child was impossible to educate, didn't try to do work, major behavior problems, yet I had none of those problems. Now my child still, at times treats other kids how school treated him. They have a lot more to do with how kids turn out, than you think.
Frustrated Parent

United States

#39 Dec 6, 2012
Treatment kids receive in schools, by employees, not protecting them, punishing them and not other kids doing the same as them, picking and choosing who to treat like outcasts, discriminating against them, not caring enough to educate them or help them when they have trouble, treating them worse than other kids of other races or because they were born poor, just like their parents were. These are behaviors teachers teach our kids, by treating them that way. Kids learn from example. The way they are treated by others teaches them to treat people the same way. So yes, they do have a great deal of responsibility in how our kids turn out, just as parents do. My child was not only done this way at 1 school, but at 3, he believes because of what they did to him, that justice doesn't exist for kids like him, so now he don't like cops either, since they are upholders of justice. There was one at the school when he was beaten both times, and he did nothing to help my child either. Yes, we are to raise our own kids, but when schools have them, they automatically have loco parentis, acting as parents as long as kids are on school property. Kids are their responsibility. FCSD tries to be just like Memphis Schools, and that alone should tell you, they are not educated enough to teach wild animals, much less our kids. If they weren't such idiots they would know, You want your school like Memphis, expect the kind of problems Memphis Schools have. They just don't want to admit they are failures, so they blame parents. They should lose their teaching license, the Principal and Assistant Principal, and other high ranking positions in those schools should be locked up for endangering the welfare of minors, child neglect, child abuse, failing to report felony crimes to law enforcement, and many more. Putting a child in that school district is like putting them in a lions den. So don't tell me how it's my fault my child grows up to do wrong, I never treated him like that, he learned it from the schools in how they treated him.

“The Dawg is In!”

Location hidden

#40 Dec 6, 2012
Frustrated Parent wrote:
<quoted text>Teachers teach academics, life skills, character, and socialization skills, that is part of what is instilled in our children and partly become who they turn out to be. No, some of us have no option to move to a better area due to limited income, I tried changing my kids to a different district through school choice, from FC to Wynne, they denied me because my kids were white, they have to keep races balanced in that program, said if my kids were mixed or black I could. It costs a lot of money to send them to private schools and buy materials to home school, money we have to use to shelter them, feed them, cloth them and all other things parents are responsible for doing. My child got beaten by gangs 2 times in one day, in bus line where at least 9 teachers were. He was pushed in front of a bus, and had to be taken to E.R. and Dentist for fractured teeth. No school staff could tell me what happened to my child, or why they did not take him to the ER. They did not even call me and tell me, nor did they provide protection or a safe environment for my child to learn in. The security cameras were useless in pointing out the assailants, because they were too far away and because they were all black and wearing the same color uniforms, you could not identify them, so the schools let them get away with it. I had to watch my child in agonizing pain, until our insurance approved a root canal. So DO NOT defend that school or it's neglectful, unresponsible, careless employees. My child has never gotten contusions and fractured teeth while under my supervision, I would not have allowed it, but I sent my child to school because the law made me and that's what he got while under their supervision, they didn't try to stop it and did nothing to them after the first incident and because they did nothing it allowed a second beating. I guess that's my fault too. My child tested to be 3 grade levels behind, due to them wanting to punish him more than educate him, because he had a disability. My child refused to go back, out of fear it would happen again. So I got some help to get a few supplies and I homeschooled. In 12 mo. time, when tested by home school my child jumped 2 grade levels. But the schools always complained my child was impossible to educate, didn't try to do work, major behavior problems, yet I had none of those problems. Now my child still, at times treats other kids how school treated him. They have a lot more to do with how kids turn out, than you think.
I won't defend the school, nor will I ever send my kids there. I will work to ensure they can go to private school. If something happens and I can't afford private school, I will pack up and move. I feel for you in your situation, but you understand that you can't rely on the public schools in this area to raise your kids. Sometimes you cant even count on them to educate your children. You put them on this earth, they are ultimately your responsibility. I put mine here, they are mine. If my kids turn out crappy, it's my fault. I can't blame a school system that I already know will not properly raise my kids. It's my responsibility to take them out of harmful environments. If they get in trouble or on dope, it's my job to get them away from the environment and get them help. As long as they are underage, and in my household, they are totally my responsibility. Its my dity to do whatever i have to do to make sure they are an asset and not a burden to society. If everyone had my attitude, the school system would work much better, and maybe all others would too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hughes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What do you want in FC to grow/reshape the town? 2 hr Guest 58
vali 6 hr Bbb 9
Where is project pat (Jul '13) 17 hr Friend 3
cody mcgee 17 hr aconcernedfriend 9
hughes new superintendent, what you think? (Mar '09) Apr 20 frien of the past 2
how did duandre smith pass Apr 17 frien of the past 1
Vote Grady Collum out Apr 14 Concerned 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hughes Mortgages