Hughes School Elections
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just a person

United States

#21 Sep 29, 2011
Poor girl Irene Combs didn't win, let me shed a tear, okay done!!! Dovie Wolf and Johnny Payton won in there elections!!!! Way to go guys!! And good luck!!
cinthia

United States

#22 Sep 29, 2011
just a person wrote:
Poor girl Irene Combs didn't win, let me shed a tear, okay done!!! Dovie Wolf and Johnny Payton won in there elections!!!! Way to go guys!! And good luck!!
wait..it seems that Payton has a felony on his record and the clerk is reviewing his background check, as he may have lied about his past on his petition paperwork. wolfe on the other hand won but she is suing the school district and there is a conflict of interest as she is going to be on the board that is getting sued by her. word is that the school board association is going to make a ruling on that one tommorrow.
CC2

United States

#23 Oct 3, 2011
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, it is my understanding that MS. Wolfe did not get fired she was part of a RIF or reduction in force. Get it straight if you are going to make comments. In addition, I was also at the meeting where Ms. Combs made her racial comments. She may be a Christian but her actions and comments on the school board are questionable. If she will make those kind of comments in a school board meeting then how can she be trusted to care for children of all races equally. If you are so concerned about lawsuit RUMORS maybe you should look at fact that the school district has just rehired an individual who sued the school in the past few years. Don't you see a problem here?
I have seen all the political messes Hughes has had forever ! I can remember when certain districts were to "hand" deliver the ballotboxes and the security tags being torn off and blamed it on getting caught on a nail or screw on a door frame. It would have taken wire cutters or even a screw driver maybe. I have seen the discrimination in Hughes I have seen where the counselor sue the school to the tune of a little more than $250,000 for not being promoted because she was black. Well that may have been the case back in slave owner days or during segregation times but when the town is more than 70-30 blacks to whites sounds like race isn't the issue unless it's reverse discrimination. I have seen two students at the school who were tied for valedictorian of their class and ms bennett gave the title to the African American child and told the white child that it was because the white child would still get just as many scholarships while being white than the black child would. That is reverse discrimination if I have ever seen it. It did have an effect on the white child. They had to pay for books and housing for a year because it took that long for them to get on the deans list. It meant a difference to that child mentally as well. They were taught how reverse descrimation worked first hand. It really pisses me off the see a school using up the funds that are generated for this school being given out for stupid frivolous lawsuits as the one that ms Bennett had. The board mostly black was to thank for that. In their decision to pay the lawsuit rather than it to be decided in a court. Just goes to show what she really thought about her school and her school pride. She wasn't even qualified for the job she wanted. It's like me suing the school because they wouldn't hire me to teach cause I'm white or black. Even though I didn't have a teaching certificate but thought that I could do the job anyway. This is the mentality of Hughes and if it doesn't stop Hughes will be like greasy corner with a few houses and a stop sign. Hughes has went from a hero to a zero in over forty years. From the soda fountains in the drug store and movies on the weekends and the streets having so many cars they were lined up and down main street. Wow those were the days that Hughes had growth for all colors and was going forward. Then it all goes down hill from there. I always wished Hughes could go back to the way it was in the eighties. Before the nineties. Back when there were homecoming parades and Christmas was special so was little ole halloween. I remember the scout hut parties and the Methodist church cake walks. I remember the good times and that's all I have anymore. I don't want the town like it is now. No pride, Lawless, corrupt and all the fighting with the fire dept and police. This town can rebuild maybe when the recession is over but until that day comes Hughes will continue to rot and rot some more. O so sad :(.
hmm

United States

#24 Oct 3, 2011
I wonder how many of these posts were made by someone with the last name Wolfe?
Indepth

United States

#25 Oct 3, 2011
CC2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen all the political messes Hughes has had forever ! I can remember when certain districts were to "hand" deliver the ballotboxes and the security tags being torn off and blamed it on getting caught on a nail or screw on a door frame. It would have taken wire cutters or even a screw driver maybe. I have seen the discrimination in Hughes I have seen where the counselor sue the school to the tune of a little more than $250,000 for not being promoted because she was black. Well that may have been the case back in slave owner days or during segregation times but when the town is more than 70-30 blacks to whites sounds like race isn't the issue unless it's reverse discrimination. I have seen two students at the school who were tied for valedictorian of their class and ms bennett gave the title to the African American child and told the white child that it was because the white child would still get just as many scholarships while being white than the black child would. That is reverse discrimination if I have ever seen it. It did have an effect on the white child. They had to pay for books and housing for a year because it took that long for them to get on the deans list. It meant a difference to that child mentally as well. They were taught how reverse descrimation worked first hand. It really pisses me off the see a school using up the funds that are generated for this school being given out for stupid frivolous lawsuits as the one that ms Bennett had. The board mostly black was to thank for that. In their decision to pay the lawsuit rather than it to be decided in a court. Just goes to show what she really thought about her school and her school pride. She wasn't even qualified for the job she wanted. It's like me suing the school because they wouldn't hire me to teach cause I'm white or black. Even though I didn't have a teaching certificate but thought that I could do the job anyway. This is the mentality of Hughes and if it doesn't stop Hughes will be like greasy corner with a few houses and a stop sign. Hughes has went from a hero to a zero in over forty years. From the soda fountains in the drug store and movies on the weekends and the streets having so many cars they were lined up and down main street. Wow those were the days that Hughes had growth for all colors and was going forward. Then it all goes down hill from there. I always wished Hughes could go back to the way it was in the eighties. Before the nineties. Back when there were homecoming parades and Christmas was special so was little ole halloween. I remember the scout hut parties and the Methodist church cake walks. I remember the good times and that's all I have anymore. I don't want the town like it is now. No pride, Lawless, corrupt and all the fighting with the fire dept and police. This town can rebuild maybe when the recession is over but until that day comes Hughes will continue to rot and rot some more. O so sad :(.
Whats sad is you have no clue what you are talking about!

The counselor (Ms. Owens), as you refer to as Bennett didnt sue the school because she wasnt being promoted. She sued the school because she was discriminated against by the majority white school board and Dr. Ray Nassar (white). She worked for the school for thirty years without a write up. She was the principal with people like Charles Patrick doing absolutely nothing and working against her. The white farmers hired the new superintendent to get rid of her. The mostly white board and superintendent were so studid, she shouldve gone to court and gotten more. She was the one dedicated to the school not using the school money like the mostly white board did for years and witholding it from the students.

Hughes was once prosperous under the plantation mentality, but it wasnt fair if you werent white. Today the tide has changed and decendents of the plantation dont like it. I like the direction Hughes is going!
hey

United States

#26 Oct 4, 2011
You know you people have run the plantation mentality racist crap into the ground. True, things have never been fair in this town and it would be nice if it were different. You always talk about how unfair the blacks are treated, well what about the poor white people. This I know first hand. If you don't have a certain last name in this town, your out of luck. The poor white people aren't socially accepted by your plantation mentality nor the black community. We have worked on these plantations right alongside the black people and have had just as rough living conditions. Not to mention the Hispanics that have lived here, they have been treated the same as our class. One thing you forget is despite our skin color or income, we are taxpaying voters too. So since you are so indepth and insightful, can you please tell me, where do we fit in?
concerned Citizen

Little Rock, AR

#27 Oct 7, 2011
Indepth wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats sad is you have no clue what you are talking about!
The counselor (Ms. Owens), as you refer to as Bennett didnt sue the school because she wasnt being promoted. She sued the school because she was discriminated against by the majority white school board and Dr. Ray Nassar (white). She worked for the school for thirty years without a write up. She was the principal with people like Charles Patrick doing absolutely nothing and working against her. The white farmers hired the new superintendent to get rid of her. The mostly white board and superintendent were so studid, she shouldve gone to court and gotten more. She was the one dedicated to the school not using the school money like the mostly white board did for years and witholding it from the students.
Hughes was once prosperous under the plantation mentality, but it wasnt fair if you werent white. Today the tide has changed and decendents of the plantation dont like it. I like the direction Hughes is going!
OK, Let's get this straight... Ms. Owens was NOT discriminated against! She was the High School principal when the two campuses were combined and the decision was made that there was a need for ONE principal. Neither Ms. Base or Ms. Owens were certified for a K-12 principals position. If you are going to make a statement make certain you have the facts!!! About the "plantation mentality" I am not a descendent of the plantation. The "tide" has not changed in Hughes, it is the same story a different day, too many people are fighting against each other continually and too many are saying you owe me this or you owe me that. Nobody owes anybody anything...enough already GROW UP!!!!!
another citizen

United States

#28 Oct 7, 2011
concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Let's get this straight... Ms. Owens was NOT discriminated against! She was the High School principal when the two campuses were combined and the decision was made that there was a need for ONE principal. Neither Ms. Base or Ms. Owens were certified for a K-12 principals position. If you are going to make a statement make certain you have the facts!!! About the "plantation mentality" I am not a descendent of the plantation. The "tide" has not changed in Hughes, it is the same story a different day, too many people are fighting against each other continually and too many are saying you owe me this or you owe me that. Nobody owes anybody anything...enough already GROW UP!!!!!
Yes indeed! GROW UP, is a nice way to put it.
Charles

Little Rock, AR

#29 Oct 8, 2011
concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think Ms. Ownes sued the district..Discrimination. The decision was made for one principal, but Ms. Owens was pressured out of her position, which she could have easily taken the two classes to be the K-12 principal...it was a discrimination piece which Nassar and the white farmers payed her $200,000 because she would have won twice that by going to court. Ray Nassar brought in his buddy and paid him $85,000 thinking he was going to take Owens spot, but after the attornies finished with him he left his buddy as curriculum coordinator and brought in a black principal with no experience or certification..check the books, its in there. Things have changed for the better, the school has issues but the money is going to the kids and not to the superintendent or his girlfriend.
Raymond

Little Rock, AR

#30 Oct 8, 2011
another citizen wrote:
<quoted text> Yes indeed! GROW UP, is a nice way to put it.
Who made the decision for one principal.. nassar and the white farmers on the school board wanted to get rid of owns. he brought in more salaried employees then the school could afford, thats why he drained the 1.4 million out of the school accounts to pay all of these extra fees, but to get owens out as principal was totally discrimination...that is the facts.

to make matters worse the superintendents girlfriend gina received a 10,000 bonus and 30,000 in overtime..thats the fact. owe, so did one of the other secretaries, the one who currently has cancer. her husband was on the board that gave the supt the ok to get rid of owens and then they had to pay up since there was no reason to terminate owens..discrimination is a big issue and with the changing demographics of hughes, the old way of doing things dont work anymore.you have to follow the laws. growup and expect there to be some racially motivated tactics from the white farmers or other people in town who cant get control of the black people they are used to running over.

the new board member wolfe has a lawsuit against district because she thinks she was terminated or riffed illegally? isnt that a conflict of interest? what makes matters worse, wolfe pulled her kids out of the school and she wants to be on the school boardd..why i hope that she gets asked that question, as lots of concerned citizens want to know.
concerned Citizen

Little Rock, AR

#31 Oct 8, 2011
Raymond wrote:
<quoted text>
Who made the decision for one principal.. nassar and the white farmers on the school board wanted to get rid of owns. he brought in more salaried employees then the school could afford, thats why he drained the 1.4 million out of the school accounts to pay all of these extra fees, but to get owens out as principal was totally discrimination...that is the facts.
to make matters worse the superintendents girlfriend gina received a 10,000 bonus and 30,000 in overtime..thats the fact. owe, so did one of the other secretaries, the one who currently has cancer. her husband was on the board that gave the supt the ok to get rid of owens and then they had to pay up since there was no reason to terminate owens..discrimination is a big issue and with the changing demographics of hughes, the old way of doing things dont work anymore.you have to follow the laws. growup and expect there to be some racially motivated tactics from the white farmers or other people in town who cant get control of the black people they are used to running over.
the new board member wolfe has a lawsuit against district because she thinks she was terminated or riffed illegally? isnt that a conflict of interest? what makes matters worse, wolfe pulled her kids out of the school and she wants to be on the school boardd..why i hope that she gets asked that question, as lots of concerned citizens want to know.
Ms. Owens was NOT QUALIFIED for the position, she was not denied ANYTHING. Get over it!!! Further more it is none of your business why someone changes where their kids go to school and in addition, don't you think someone can be intelligent enough to take their kids out of a school temprarily while they step in and TRY to improve the school so that they feel they can bring their kids back to where they can get a quality education! Also get it straight, the word TERMINATED can not be used when speaking of Ms. Wolfe. Make certain before opening your mouth the you truly know FACT. People still need to GROW UP and get over Black or White. I do not care what color ANYONE is! IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER!!! As I see it the people who are saying "the tides have changed" and crying out that "Blacks are in control" are just as guilty of discrimination as the white folks who said everything had to be separate!
concerned Citizen

Little Rock, AR

#32 Oct 8, 2011
Charles wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think Ms. Ownes sued the district..Discrimination. The decision was made for one principal, but Ms. Owens was pressured out of her position, which she could have easily taken the two classes to be the K-12 principal...it was a discrimination piece which Nassar and the white farmers payed her $200,000 because she would have won twice that by going to court. Ray Nassar brought in his buddy and paid him $85,000 thinking he was going to take Owens spot, but after the attornies finished with him he left his buddy as curriculum coordinator and brought in a black principal with no experience or certification..check the books, its in there. Things have changed for the better, the school has issues but the money is going to the kids and not to the superintendent or his girlfriend.
Gee...When you say "white Frmers" don't you mean the school board? You see it takes more than just a couple of men on the board to make decisions. GROW UP!!!
just sayn

United States

#33 Oct 8, 2011
Employee termination is the process by which an organization ends an individual's employment against his or her will. Termination may occur "for cause," examples of which include poor job performance, lack of "fit" with the organization, inability to perform job responsibilities, conflict with managers or other employees, or misconduct. Many instances of employment separation, however, can be attributed to developments over which the fired employee has no control, such as restructuring, downsizing, relocation, or acquisition (known as a reduction in force). So yes you can say terminated when referring to former employee mentioned above.
Raymond

Little Rock, AR

#34 Oct 8, 2011
just sayn wrote:
Employee termination is the process by which an organization ends an individual's employment against his or her will. Termination may occur "for cause," examples of which include poor job performance, lack of "fit" with the organization, inability to perform job responsibilities, conflict with managers or other employees, or misconduct. Many instances of employment separation, however, can be attributed to developments over which the fired employee has no control, such as restructuring, downsizing, relocation, or acquisition (known as a reduction in force). So yes you can say terminated when referring to former employee mentioned above.
DISCRIMINATION - based on race,age and sex
Raymond

Little Rock, AR

#35 Oct 8, 2011
If not discrimination, why was over $200,000 given to her to settle her lawsuit??
FACTS

Little Rock, AR

#36 Oct 8, 2011
concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Ms. Owens was NOT QUALIFIED for the position, she was not denied ANYTHING. Get over it!!! Further more it is none of your business why someone changes where their kids go to school and in addition, don't you think someone can be intelligent enough to take their kids out of a school temprarily while they step in and TRY to improve the school so that they feel they can bring their kids back to where they can get a quality education! Also get it straight, the word TERMINATED can not be used when speaking of Ms. Wolfe. Make certain before opening your mouth the you truly know FACT. People still need to GROW UP and get over Black or White. I do not care what color ANYONE is! IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER!!! As I see it the people who are saying "the tides have changed" and crying out that "Blacks are in control" are just as guilty of discrimination as the white folks who said everything had to be separate!
Wolfe lost her job at the school because she the most absent employee at school, thats pretty common knowledge around town. She wasnt doing her job, she was terminated with a capital T. Everyone knows that she is pretty promescuity is her strong point and the reason why she missed all of the days of school.

My kids go to school at Hughes and I dont think Wolfe has any business being on the school board if she can't even bring her own kids to the school. You think she is fit to teach her own kids or oversee what is going on being a board member? Why is she suing the school district yet she is on the board? I think she is a fat ass with a grudge!
CitizenNumberUno

Harrisburg, NC

#37 Oct 8, 2011
concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Ms. Owens was NOT QUALIFIED for the position, she was not denied ANYTHING. Get over it!!! Further more it is none of your business why someone changes where their kids go to school and in addition, don't you think someone can be intelligent enough to take their kids out of a school temprarily while they step in and TRY to improve the school so that they feel they can bring their kids back to where they can get a quality education! Also get it straight, the word TERMINATED can not be used when speaking of Ms. Wolfe. Make certain before opening your mouth the you truly know FACT. People still need to GROW UP and get over Black or White. I do not care what color ANYONE is! IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER!!! As I see it the people who are saying "the tides have changed" and crying out that "Blacks are in control" are just as guilty of discrimination as the white folks who said everything had to be separate!
Touchy this evening, aren't we? You (if I am reading between the lines correctly) don't have kids in the Hughes School District, but have you done anything so bold as to run for school board to change things? If you haven't done anything that would be seen as constructive for the district, please refrain from griping about it until you are willing to shoulder the burden. I don't have children in the Hughes School system, so I shall refrain from complaining about it. I do have children, but they are in private schools because I firmly believe you get what you pay for. As far as Sheryl is concerned, I like the woman. I believe she is good for the district, and if she isn't a principal at this time, I believe she'd be a great candidate for principal. She was good to me when I was in Hughes schools. I'm sure things have changed. I haven't been in school in almost 20 years. I'm proud of the education I got from Hughes. I hope that if the school is not at a place where kids are learning how to "figger, figger, figger" that they will get back to those days. I still hate mathematics with a passion, but I am good with numbers thanks to (then) Ms. Allen.

Unfortunately, what I am seeing is that a lot of the older generation folks are dying, and the younger ones taking over are making changes. Those older folks that are left are doing some griping because "That's not how we do things."

I'm very thankful that possessing a certain last name - usually associated with any of the farm families - no longer means squat. Don't tell the farmers that, though, some of them are still walking around with their heads up their *ahems*.

I hope the mayor continues to work on cleaning up blighted properties. It's refreshing to see something being done. If our police force can get some good solid training and support, we might just pull through all this change with our heads still on our shoulders.
FactCheck

United States

#38 Oct 11, 2012
There is a reason you have to have a degree to be principal or superintendent. You have to be TRAINED. You have to be EVALUATED before you are released. I don't care about skin color. If you are not qualified, you should not be allowed to work in said position. Mrs. Owens is NOT qualified to be either a principal or a super. Look for yourself. It is public knowledge.
https://adeaels.arkansas.gov/AelsWeb/Search.a...
A loss for words

Poplar Bluff, MO

#39 Dec 10, 2012
hey wrote:
You know you people have run the plantation mentality racist crap into the ground. True, things have never been fair in this town and it would be nice if it were different. You always talk about how unfair the blacks are treated, well what about the poor white people. This I know first hand. If you don't have a certain last name in this town, your out of luck. The poor white people aren't socially accepted by your plantation mentality nor the black community. We have worked on these plantations right alongside the black people and have had just as rough living conditions. Not to mention the Hispanics that have lived here, they have been treated the same as our class. One thing you forget is despite our skin color or income, we are taxpaying voters too. So since you are so indepth and insightful, can you please tell me, where do we fit in?
I can't understand why White people have not up and left that hell hole. Makes no sense to me. Move away from there then you will see what a "normal happy" life feels like.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hughes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Screen Printing 1 hr Guest 2
pastor Austin D Hill 3 hr 1_50say 12
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr Reality Check 42,142
Private school (Aug '15) 8 hr Candace 43
Hunter girl with red hair 8 hr Guest 4
Looking for Farming jobs (Jan '17) 15 hr Hooker 4
Bad Doctor,(Kumar) (Oct '10) 15 hr eyewatcher1960 85

Hughes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance