What happened to Hughes?

Posted in the Hughes Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thirtysomethin

Wynne, AR

#1 Apr 21, 2009
True enough, it was never upscale by a long shot, but it use to be a pretty good place to live when we were there in the eighties. Drove through there recently and was absolutely floored. Haven't been there in years.
meme

Wynne, AR

#2 Apr 30, 2009
thirtysomethin wrote:
True enough, it was never upscale by a long shot, but it use to be a pretty good place to live when we were there in the eighties. Drove through there recently and was absolutely floored. Haven't been there in years.
I know, I miss goin to John's for a burger and shake or meetin up with all my friends at "the parking lot" Those were the good old days
4 me 2 know

Maumelle, AR

#3 May 1, 2009
I passed though Hughes about 5-6 years ago and I felt like crying. I graduated from Hughes in 86, it was nothing like it was then...
meme

Wynne, AR

#4 May 3, 2009
I think if the right type of person got voted in for mayor they could prob clean it up..at least a little, as it is now nobody cares how the town looks

Since: May 09

United States

#5 May 4, 2009
It is definetly not what it used to be....I grew up in Hughes myself and I can remember everyone going to the tastee freeze and hanging out....Or going to the once great swimming pool....Those were the days...Now it is just horrible

Since: Apr 09

Roe, AR

#6 May 7, 2009
When need it back like it use to be back when Joe Burch and Bud Taylor were running the town. Those were the days....
country chick

United States

#7 Sep 18, 2009
got that right a new mayor is what it needs and it needs cops that aint scared to go after tha drug dealers in that town i still live hear and this town is going down tha drain so yea if we had a mayor that cared this town wouldnt be lookn like a joke to ppl
Fred P Smiley

United States

#8 Apr 20, 2010
I understand the current mayor is bad and the man running for mayor now will NOT improve the city or its image and will do more harm than good to this town.
Anyone tell me what this town needs?

any homes for sale, anyone buying homes there?

anything good in this town, I have read plenty of bad.
yeahh

Little Rock, AR

#10 Jun 16, 2010
the only good thing about hughes is the memories.. I agree with the person that said they need some cops that arent scared!
lmao

Batesville, AR

#11 Aug 27, 2010
Whats wrong with it? It was founded.......lol
lmao

Batesville, AR

#12 Aug 27, 2010
When the New Madrid goes off, Hughes will be wiped off the map. So hang in there, things are about to get better.
lmao

Batesville, AR

#13 Aug 31, 2010
I left there and took my brilliant mind elsewhere.
biggun

Pflugerville, TX

#14 Mar 6, 2011
imaguest wrote:
When need it back like it use to be back when Joe Burch and Bud Taylor were running the town. Those were the days....
Those were the days ! That was when we had authority that kept everything in check. When Herbert neighbors left is when the town went down. Bud Taylor helped run it in his retirement but got sick and passed away. The town went into a hibernation mode for a few years then went straight to hell. I have witnessed the former mayor tell an officer to leave a certain person or to leave something that was being investigated by the police to be stopped and to leave the people who were doing it alone. The police for a long time there had there hands tied on what they could or couldn't do. I know of about three officers that quit because of it and I know of a few officers that didn't leave the people alone or went over the mayors head to the sheriff and were eventually fired for not doing what the mayor wanted done. He was more worried about the vote then he was about stopping the dealers of the drugs. It was more like don't mess with this person because they have a large family and ten of them can vote. Then he would go and tell the family oh I took care of officer such and such and they won't be messing with or stopping you any more. Or the mayor would throw out tickets. Legit tickets that were money that the city could have taken in to help in the general fund. Alot of great officers have come through that town wanting to make a difference instead of a check and were sent out. Even policemen who were wanting to work for free were sent packing if one of the city council members didn't like them. That is a town that can be turned around but the citizens are going to have to stand up and take it back !!
lmao

United States

#15 Mar 8, 2011
its a ghetto
biggun

United States

#16 Mar 9, 2011
The town used to be a place where you looked forward to going to school to be with friends and looked forward to going to homecoming and to all the Halloween parties and riding to the parking lot at night to bs. Then there were the late afternoons at the tastee freeze. There was the little league baseball games which I was a part of and missed. The swimming pool that was fun ! The scout hut ! The pit stop ! Thomas Beene and all his smiley faces and trips to Texas to custom harvest in the summer ! Going to Forrest city to watch a movie on one of the two screens. Going to horseshoe to swim. The levee parties ! Dang those were always good ! Green river road ! The concrete bridge behind locks ! I wish someone would write a book about Hughes and all of St Francis county from about the eighties to the mid to end of the nineties ! That would be a cool book ! The people that we grew up with or knew from school that were lost while in high school or shortly there after. There's alot of information in just those few subjects. There enough for more than ten to twenty chapters. I know I would by one or more. I know we must of had a few journalist or writers that could do this. There are all kinds of people that would love to tell you there stories. Even though we probably all have heard them or know them we would all love to read about them. Then maybe follow up with a second book of what they are doing now ?
redneck

United States

#17 May 18, 2011
Does anyone remember THE MAGIC BUS and levee parties
Bob

United States

#18 Jul 19, 2011
Mayor Owens is doing a hell of a job picking up the mess that the former mayor left with little or next to nothing. Hughes will never be the town it was years ago, but it will be a nice small town in the near future that the town can be proud of. Change takes time and the mayor is doing a good job.
concerned

United States

#19 Feb 24, 2013
The mayor has been promising city workers a raise since 2011, and nothing has happened yet this guy clearly does not care about the hard work city employees put in everday. He has given the city hall secretary a 5000 raise and she has only worked here a few months and other workers have worked for years and still working someone needs to look into this.
concerned

United States

#20 Feb 24, 2013
The mayor is running around lying saying there is no money to give us a raise but he somehow can come up with the money to give the secretary a 5000 dollar raise. Someone please look into this because this just is not right or is it fair.
Wade Griggs

United States

#21 Dec 30, 2014
Same here. I still have family in Hughes and many old friends. Since I moved from Hughes over 25 years ago I've visited about a dozen times. The last time being in 2014 and I was floored!!! There's no way someone who cares about this town could have let it get this way! I'm also from the (Joe Burch, Bud Taylor) era and you couldn't have ask for a better place to live. It's definitely a shame it's gotten to this point. There's only 1 way to ever hope for change. 1st get rid of the drugs. It doesn't matter who your friends with or who your parents are or what the reason, if your into drugs in any way shape or form your going away. Believe me when the courts get tired of seeing you they will finally do somthing with you, but until they do the city will make all the money it can from fines. Until the towns headed in the right direction again a curfew for anyone under the age of 18 needs to be in order, no kids need to be out all hours of the night and yes in your under 18 your a kid. Have community projects, everyone needs a chance to be involved. If everyone who cares worked together I truly believe changes could be seen a lot sooner than later. These are just my opinions and I still have this town in my heart and have even thought of how I'd like to retire and move back someday but it just seemed to me that no one cares anymore about Hughes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hughes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 20 min angel 40,852
dtf? 15 hr Darrell 3
Tina padgett 17 hr Yep 5
No fishing license 17 hr Guest 11
church (Mar '16) 22 hr Guest 21
Tracie turner Mon Younaneit 2
Kriston (Hogland) New Nov 19 YouKnowMe 10

Hughes Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance