Fourth of July altercation turns dead...

Fourth of July altercation turns deadly in Hughes

There are 52 comments on the Times-Herald of Forrest City, Arkansas story from Jul 6, 2009, titled Fourth of July altercation turns deadly in Hughes. In it, Times-Herald of Forrest City, Arkansas reports that:

A man was killed Saturday after allegedly attacking a woman in downtown Hughes. The St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times-Herald of Forrest City, Arkansas.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ME AND MINE

United States

#42 Aug 4, 2009
I believe all people in this forum should step back and take a closer look. The black/white thing is so outdated. How are we to teach our kids that everybody is created equal when as adults some cannot comprehend that. The blacks getting certain funds, is no different than the damn president getting all that extra money, or abused women shelter getting help for the women. We all are not created equal and as long as we act like asses, you can guarantee our kids will keep this stupidity up. By the way, I am white, lived and graduated from Hughes, there is no more wrong with hughes than any other city other than it is less people in the town and too many mouths talking. Remember when we were kids our parents would tell us to get out of grown folks business...well if your in someone else business you dont have any hoem training either.
someone who was there

Marion, AR

#43 Aug 6, 2009
Old Cat wrote:
I bet the gay blade is on it!
Vanessa is my cousin and so was Jo Jo. Vanessa was high when I saw her. She has it bad disrespecting people but wants hers. Vanessa is a big liar and instigator. The night before her husband whooped her ass. And thats not the first time. I can remeber in 1999 he jumped on her along with a female that he was sleeping with. She went to the hospital then to. The next day she took him back. She ruined a whole of people lifes with a lie. Over a funky t-shirt and some flip flops that my dude accidently step and spilled some liquor on. I refuse to talk to her or any of them any more its always drama with them.

Olive Branch, MS

#44 Aug 7, 2009
ME AND MINE wrote:
The black/white thing is so outdated.
Really? Then why is it all over tv constantly?

Maybe you're the one "outdated".
Not God

AOL

#45 Aug 7, 2009
someone who was there wrote:
<quoted text>
Vanessa is my cousin and so was Jo Jo. Vanessa was high when I saw her. She has it bad disrespecting people but wants hers. Vanessa is a big liar and instigator. The night before her husband whooped her ass. And thats not the first time. I can remeber in 1999 he jumped on her along with a female that he was sleeping with. She went to the hospital then to. The next day she took him back. She ruined a whole of people lifes with a lie. Over a funky t-shirt and some flip flops that my dude accidently step and spilled some liquor on. I refuse to talk to her or any of them any more its always drama with them.
I am grateful not to be in your family. Was it always like that? Your cousin is beat down and you are sleeping with one of the men who beat her. You put her down and put her business out on the street yet support a man that would beat on a woman. Someone that night needed to be an adult. Someone needed to say stop, instead someone was killed, someone went a jail and both families were left empty and in pain. This has nothing to do with being black or white, nothing to do with how many black people get away with murder or how many people go to jail. This is to do with a terrible situation that led to an even more terrible situation. If you saw all this happen why didn't you take her home, why didn't you stop the men from kicking her when she fell on the ground? If you saw this why didn't you say "Stop." It easy to cowardly write and judge an individual. Reality is that an entire crowd saw a woman being kicked down and no one...not even you did anything. I wonder what any man would do to protect his family. Reality is that God says vengence is mine. Reality is that our young people are killing themselves. Reality is that Hughes like most areas in the US have very little for our young people to productively do. So instead of enjoying life they find themselves in a crowd watching a woman being kicked down by two men. What happened wasn't a hughes problem...look around its happening everywhere. Everyone is making assuptions..that's the easy way..that's todays news. Have you prayed for the mothers? The one who buried her child, or the one who saw her child in chains? Have you prayed for the children who will grow up without a dad?

“My mind....”

Since: Jul 09

was a terrible thing to waste

#46 Aug 7, 2009
Not God wrote:
<quoted text> I am grateful not to be in your family. Was it always like that? Your cousin is beat down and you are sleeping with one of the men who beat her. You put her down and put her business out on the street yet support a man that would beat on a woman. Someone that night needed to be an adult. Someone needed to say stop, instead someone was killed, someone went a jail and both families were left empty and in pain. This has nothing to do with being black or white, nothing to do with how many black people get away with murder or how many people go to jail. This is to do with a terrible situation that led to an even more terrible situation. If you saw all this happen why didn't you take her home, why didn't you stop the men from kicking her when she fell on the ground? If you saw this why didn't you say "Stop." It easy to cowardly write and judge an individual. Reality is that an entire crowd saw a woman being kicked down and no one...not even you did anything. I wonder what any man would do to protect his family. Reality is that God says vengence is mine. Reality is that our young people are killing themselves. Reality is that Hughes like most areas in the US have very little for our young people to productively do. So instead of enjoying life they find themselves in a crowd watching a woman being kicked down by two men. What happened wasn't a hughes problem...look around its happening everywhere. Everyone is making assuptions..that's the easy way..that's todays news. Have you prayed for the mothers? The one who buried her child, or the one who saw her child in chains? Have you prayed for the children who will grow up without a dad?
I asked the same question in post #25.
Concerned

United States

#47 Aug 9, 2009
someone who was there wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
live in hughes

United States

#48 Aug 9, 2009
Not God wrote:
<quoted text> I am grateful not to be in your family. Was it always like that? Your cousin is beat down and you are sleeping with one of the men who beat her. You put her down and put her business out on the street yet support a man that would beat on a woman. Someone that night needed to be an adult. Someone needed to say stop, instead someone was killed, someone went a jail and both families were left empty and in pain. This has nothing to do with being black or white, nothing to do with how many black people get away with murder or how many people go to jail. This is to do with a terrible situation that led to an even more terrible situation. If you saw all this happen why didn't you take her home, why didn't you stop the men from kicking her when she fell on the ground? If you saw this why didn't you say "Stop." It easy to cowardly write and judge an individual. Reality is that an entire crowd saw a woman being kicked down and no one...not even you did anything. I wonder what any man would do to protect his family. Reality is that God says vengence is mine. Reality is that our young people are killing themselves. Reality is that Hughes like most areas in the US have very little for our young people to productively do. So instead of enjoying life they find themselves in a crowd watching a woman being kicked down by two men. What happened wasn't a hughes problem...look around its happening everywhere. Everyone is making assuptions..that's the easy way..that's todays news. Have you prayed for the mothers? The one who buried her child, or the one who saw her child in chains? Have you prayed for the children who will grow up without a dad?
I agree so sad if she was a true cousin she would of stop this both side of the family gets high.
FiveO

United States

#49 Aug 9, 2009
It makes no difference who could of, should of jack shit. Bottom line is a person is dead. The person responsible needs to be jailed for the rest of his life. NOTHING we do or say here will ever bring the victim back or justify what the suspect did to the victim. You do not bring a gun to a fist fight. Not an even fight in the eyes of justice or a jury. Give it a rest.
Been there

United States

#50 Aug 10, 2009
A real man fight head to head not bring a gun.
FiveO

Fenton, MO

#51 Aug 10, 2009
You are absolutely right!
QueenNC

Dillon, SC

#52 Aug 11, 2009
Real Men don't fight Women!! Have you ever thought about that? Been There, Done That, Didn't Like it. I'm pretty sure that's not an even fight in the eyes of justice or a jury.
shoot

United States

#53 Jul 22, 2011
guest wrote:
You all know what's wrong with Hughes - "Welcome to Africa"!
This idiot is the reasons problem in hughes...plantation mentality

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hughes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Girls you shouldn't take home to momma 24 min DAm 16
Dead horse 29 min guest 3
Tammy farrell 1 hr And The Answer Is 9
What do you want in FC to grow/reshape the town? 7 hr WHO 66
frogs 21 hr And The Answer Is 12
Tracie turner Thu And The Answer Is 9
cody mcgee Wed aconcernedfriend 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hughes Mortgages