Park-and-ride a farm for catalytic converter thefts

High gas prices and a slow economy made sharing rides more popular, with the Park-and-Ride carpool lots exploding in use. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Batch 37 Pain is Good

Barnesville, OH

#41 Jul 10, 2008
Crackers.....
Snoop T

Holland, MI

#42 Jul 10, 2008
A concerned person wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO thats funny , I just called tv8 and asked them if teh verified their stories , I was told "yes we do " .So then I aksed them why is it the story says 42,000 an oz. when in new york its trading for 1972.00 an oz. she was speechless ..lol then said well we will have to go back and find out where we got the information. So I told her where teh quote came from and she was like..ummm I guess we will have to go ask him where he got his information ...LMAO just to hear her voice was so funny when she realized they got busted with not only the wrong facts but a lie.
amazing since the first post wood has been called on their error - why wont the correct the story?
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#43 Jul 10, 2008
Snoop T wrote:
<quoted text>
amazing since the first post wood has been called on their error - why wont the correct the story?
why dont they correct any of there wrong storys ? that would be a good question to call and ask them ?

Want to know something funnier you should of heard the reaction I got when I called the sheriff dept down there and asked them where they got the numbers for the platinum especially when i told them it was going for over $40,000 less then what they quoted. The woman couldnt believe it and she said she was going to get ahold of the deputy so he could call tv8 and correct it. She even agreed with me an error like that is going to do nothing but increase the crime rate on them even more then already .
Course maybe that what tv8 has planned they are helping create stories , they have already proved they have done "creative journalism " in the past.

But like I said why not ask tv8 why they dont correct the story ? Why doesnt everyone call and ask them this ? I have seen numerous errors in storys and they wont correct any of them.
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#44 Jul 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
If it's not the catalytic converter, it's your gasoline. The latest stunt is to poke holes in the gas tank and drain the gas out. And it will happen in your own driveway! Use your garage if you have one!
They have actually been doing this for years , its just been becoming really bad again since the gas prices have gone so hight a lot of people have to make a choice whether its feed the family , or get gas to go to work.
Red_Fist

Saranac, MI

#45 Jul 10, 2008
HEY GOVERNMENT,!!!!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ?

PUT A MORATORIUM ON BUYING CONVERTERS FOR SCRAP METAL YOU FLAMING SO CALLED COLLEGE EDUCATED DILLWEEDS.

(sniffle sniffle sorry we were working on no smoking laws)
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#46 Jul 10, 2008
Red_Fist wrote:
HEY GOVERNMENT,!!!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ?
PUT A MORATORIUM ON BUYING CONVERTERS FOR SCRAP METAL YOU FLAMING SO CALLED COLLEGE EDUCATED DILLWEEDS.
How can you put a delay on payment for people who legally take them in ? I took 2 of them in a week ago off a car I bought to scrap. I purchased them legally just like I do all the stuff I take in.I dont even do it for a living , its a hobby/game for me. Why should the people who legally do it have to wait? Its only a very very few who are breaking the law at it. I mean should we close all gas stations because they may have a drive off or a robbery? Should we close banks and stores because they might get robbed ?Should we have all people stop driving because there might be an accident? IF I buy something for you do you want to wait a couple weeks or more to get paid? I mean do you know how many hundreds of scrap yards there are in this state alone? Do you know how hard it would be to find a couple convertors state wide , thats if they keep them in this state to sell them ? That and do you really think delaying payment will stop criminals from stealing them ? They will find a way to get rid of them.
Sorry but delaying people payment just wont work.
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#47 Jul 10, 2008
Red_Fist wrote:
HEY GOVERNMENT,!!!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ?
Oh yes another thing I forgot to mention even on copper wire, the other day I watched someone I knew bring in a bunch of copper wire and tubing. He was like I cant believe I got all this out of my house when he was remodling. I didnt even ask him about it he just told me, I really didnt care. The problem is I knew he had already cleaned his house out several months before. When he had remodeled then... so where did this come from ? I knew he was lieing.But it wasnt any of my buisness and like I said I didnt care what he was saying/trying to brag about. I know he had taken things in the past and thats one of the reason i keep my distance from people like that. See like I said what good will it do to delay payment on anything , How do you prove where the stuff came from ?

“DRILL FOR OIL?, "YES WE CAN"”

Since: Jul 08

Saranac, MI

#48 Jul 10, 2008
I am talking a complete bann 100%

My next door neighbors car was one of the 11, thier son had his ripped off at a restarant while they were eating.
They do this in daylight and so many cars around.

First it was pollution, then no lead gas that don't ruin them MANDATED BY LAW.
Perfectly good converters are being used and ends up as profit, insurance will go up, service shops make a profit over and over again.

The people are friggin broke trying to save gas, all in the name of pollution and or global warming now.

They chop it off at the manifold, they had to pay $800 he is out of work.

It would be easily enforcable,$20,000 fine per converter, per insident, must show federal ID number from your business to scrap.
Or a limit of 2 per month, then it wouldn't be worth it.

They took sodium nitrate out of chemestry sets, I can't go buy sodium unless I have the correct paperwork.
So a crackdown on this would be very easy.

If it happened to me I would drive around without any pipes, screw the enviroment.

Saranac, MI

#49 Jul 10, 2008
A concerned person wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes another thing I forgot to mention even on copper wire, the other day I watched someone I knew bring in a bunch of copper wire and tubing. He was like I cant believe I got all this out of my house when he was remodling. I didnt even ask him about it he just told me, I really didnt care. The problem is I knew he had already cleaned his house out several months before. When he had remodeled then... so where did this come from ? I knew he was lieing.But it wasnt any of my buisness and like I said I didnt care what he was saying/trying to brag about. I know he had taken things in the past and thats one of the reason i keep my distance from people like that. See like I said what good will it do to delay payment on anything , How do you prove where the stuff came from ?
Copper is a bit different, but I traded in transformers that I painstakenly unwrap , they ask for ID and they notate if you were thier.
If I drove up with a pickup truck full every week it would be a huge fine if they don't report over 50 lbs to the feds.
Then once they get hammered (scrap shops) they will put the preasure on the people.
All I know this global economy is the worst thing that could ever happen to USA.
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#55 Jul 11, 2008
Red_Fist wrote:
I am talking a complete bann 100%
My next door neighbors car was one of the 11, thier son had his ripped off at a restarant while they were eating.
They do this in daylight and so many cars around.
First it was pollution, then no lead gas that don't ruin them MANDATED BY LAW.
Perfectly good converters are being used and ends up as profit, insurance will go up, service shops make a profit over and over again.
The people are friggin broke trying to save gas, all in the name of pollution and or global warming now.
They chop it off at the manifold, they had to pay $800 he is out of work.
It would be easily enforcable,$20,000 fine per converter, per insident, must show federal ID number from your business to scrap.
Or a limit of 2 per month, then it wouldn't be worth it.
They took sodium nitrate out of chemestry sets, I can't go buy sodium unless I have the correct paperwork.
So a crackdown on this would be very easy.
If it happened to me I would drive around without any pipes, screw the enviroment.
Its a lot harder then taking something out of a chemistry set. Your buying the chemistry set you're not selling it.We are talking about denying people their rights to sell their personal property.If the state passed a law like that I can just see the federal lawsuits right now against the state claiming the law is unconstitutional since you have right to buy or sell your personal property.
Besides dont you think these people on bringing in 2 a month wont just go to differnt scrap yards , take them out of state , or have someone else bring them in for them ?
I feel for your neighbors and I know they are taking and scraping perfectly good convertors daily , the 2 I took in the other day came off a car that only had 3400 miles on it and was in an accident and totalled , but you know what , I looked into selling it 1st to someone who might use it and all people wanted to pay was basically nothing I made more scrapping it then I would of selling it to someone else , and If you know me I hate throwing away or scrapping anything that can be used.

Actually I was told something about no lead gas here a few months ago by an older gentleman I met ,he was telling me that the lead wasnt taken out of gas for the enviroment.It was taken out of gas because the lead left a film on things like trees and vehicles and inforred cameras and sattelites couldnt see through the lead barriers , he told me this was the same reason lead was taken out of pain you paint your house with... Now if you think about it that does make sense since lead does shield things like radiation during xrays.
Also you say a 100% Ban,why should I be banned from selling something I own that they sell world wide on the open markets like gold and silver?
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#56 Jul 11, 2008
Red_Fist wrote:
<quoted text>
Copper is a bit different, but I traded in transformers that I painstakenly unwrap , they ask for ID and they notate if you were thier.
If I drove up with a pickup truck full every week it would be a huge fine if they don't report over 50 lbs to the feds.
Then once they get hammered (scrap shops) they will put the preasure on the people.
All I know this global economy is the worst thing that could ever happen to USA.
Oh I know about the ID and stuff ,But its still the same thing as the convertors , they will just take them in in smaller quantities . Like I said before its a game that I do for fun. I have over 1000lbs of the stuff sitting around right now that I have bought or collected over the last year. I am in no hurry to take it in its kind of like playing the stock market.
But see thats whats nice where I take it they personally know me and have for years, they also know I buy all my stuff. Usually I will use most of it before I junk it unless its junk to start with.
But see even though they take the ID's it still doesnt stop theft. Just like making people wear their seatbelts dont stop them from getting injured or even killed.

Cannonsburg, MI

#57 Jul 11, 2008
Well if it happens to me and a cop stops me, I will say I am searching for the thieves.
heh.

I see what you are saying but when somthing becomes such a problem the law supposedly is to serve and protect, meaning congress in this case.
DannyMac

Macomb, MI

#58 Aug 21, 2008
there is more than $10 worth of scrap in these things you can get $150 for a gm one without harvesting them you can get alot more if you harvest them
Arctic49519 wrote:
The platinum in a catalytic converter is in the form of a dust sprayed in/over the honeycombed brick inside the canister. There is only a tiny amount of platinum in the spray that is applied, less than $10 worth. Even then, it would take chemical separation to harvest the platinum, a costly process.
These catalytic converters are most likely being stolen for after-market value. They can easily be re-welded onto pipes and someone getting their car fixed would not know the difference without inspecting it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Kitten Flower Boutique 4 hr Brit 1
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 6 hr Oneal 70
welcome to the new black america 6 hr Oneal 5
Al Sharpton's Marchers in New York City Chant "... 7 hr Oneal 8
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 7 hr Oneal 3
AAD Annie 16 hr bobolinq 1
WZZM13 - Investigators say a 16 year old boy ad... (Jun '07) Thu Brian 18
Hudsonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web