Park-and-ride a farm for catalytic co...

Park-and-ride a farm for catalytic converter thefts

There are 53 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 9, 2008, titled Park-and-ride a farm for catalytic converter thefts. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

High gas prices and a slow economy made sharing rides more popular, with the Park-and-Ride carpool lots exploding in use.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

scrapper in greenville

Sturgis, MI

#21 Jul 9, 2008
ronmuskegon wrote:
<quoted text>That's right so by taking two more seconds to check to see if you have a receipt for changing your converter and turning old one in would add to a lot more hassles for the returner just think of the hassle the person that got stolen from has to go thru
i take in scrap all the time and i know of other's who do it too...there are people who own junk yards around here that cut off the catalytic converter's from the junk car's before the car itself is taken in because they are worth more off of the junk vehicle than if they had left it on. making someone have a recipt to show proff of buying a new or replacement converter is rediculous. they take down ID now and you have to have it with you when you take something in. these places are doing all they can to help catch the theive's out there. we've had enough of them in our area too... n i bet if someone does come in with an over-abundance, be it convertors or copper(another big "steal" for theive's) they do take notice and contact the authorities.
ronmuskegon

Syracuse, NY

#22 Jul 9, 2008
sorry to inconvenience you taking advantage of scrap but how would you put an end to it? There are victims having to pay top dollar for your inconvenience's for your scrap yards or junking a vehicle out show a title of that vehicle and make them have a copy on hand at recyclers so they add up to there converters on hand's is not much different than lets say carding someone to buy beer its done to stop under age people breaking the law !that's all am suggesting that will make it harder for the crooks to deal in volumes
YTI

Greeley, CO

#23 Jul 9, 2008
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
Oh suuuuuure! And Granholm is urging us all to do just that! PARK AND RIDE!
Nice try, governor.
mam are you retarted
on a tangent

United States

#24 Jul 9, 2008
could be $31,264 a POUND, but not an ounce at those prices. Must be police math, like on my last speeding ticket.
Reader

Traverse City, MI

#25 Jul 9, 2008
It's bad enough that WoodTV 8 showed the theives how to steal a catalytic converter and what tools they needed, now they are showing them where the best place to steal them from. Way to go channel 8. Who's side are you on?
Martin

Grand Haven, MI

#26 Jul 10, 2008
Reader wrote:
It's bad enough that WoodTV 8 showed the theives how to steal a catalytic converter and what tools they needed, now they are showing them where the best place to steal them from. Way to go channel 8. Who's side are you on?
I thought that exact same thing!!! Especially when, on the day the Grand Rapids Press ran an article highlighting what vehicles were easy targets and giving a brief lesson on how to do the crime, mine was stolen. How about a little discretion with the details since I think most people can figure out that if they took it off the car it wasn't attached with velcro to the hood.
hollander

United States

#27 Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for MI City Carroll Ave update. I want to take train into Chicago. Hate to drive in & pay arm n leg to park car we don't use once we're in town. I am hoping our 6 yr old Mazda Protege is not on the list of easy cars to remove converters from. Usually a few Benzes, Range Rovers, etc there that I would think might be more attractive targets than an old blue Mazda.
busted-up

Lafayette, CO

#28 Jul 10, 2008
My car got vandalized at a park and ride, they tried to steal it and couldnt. several others that day were damaged as well. Cost us a lot of money and hassle, even with the insurance company paying part. which of course they pass on to us. If being enviro-friendly means getting ripped off at park and rides, they need to step up security. Pretty sad if this is going on all over and they have yet to catch anyone.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

#29 Jul 10, 2008
Stupid white trash crackers, messing with others hard earned properties. I will be keeping an eye out on these park and rides...
BAHA

United States

#30 Jul 10, 2008
Beat them to the idea and cut it off yourself and replace it with a pipe then take it back yourself. Then they can't steal it and you make some extra money. or set up a $1,000 camera system on your CAT converter. whatever floats your boat i guess.
rjhall

Comstock Park, MI

#31 Jul 10, 2008
BAHA wrote:
Beat them to the idea and cut it off yourself and replace it with a pipe then take it back yourself. Then they can't steal it and you make some extra money. or set up a $1,000 camera system on your CAT converter. whatever floats your boat i guess.
It is illegal to take it off of a car. But you do get slightly better gas mileage if you do.
JANE DOE

Bradenton, FL

#32 Jul 10, 2008
busted-up wrote:
My car got vandalized at a park and ride, they tried to steal it and couldnt. several others that day were damaged as well. Cost us a lot of money and hassle, even with the insurance company paying part. which of course they pass on to us. If being enviro-friendly means getting ripped off at park and rides, they need to step up security. Pretty sad if this is going on all over and they have yet to catch anyone.
Just wondering why you give so much information about your car and where it will be parked? Age, make, color! Easy prey now don't you think if someone is looking for one? Got to be so careful nowdays ya know?
Not meaning to be unkind or snotty here, just noticed it in your posts and wanted you to know how it stood out to me!
jackie

United States

#33 Jul 10, 2008
Snoop T wrote:
oh please - don't we have enough laws - get a grip - how about passing a law to buy a replacement first - you should have a police report stating that your was stolen before you can buy a new one?
i would like to hear your thoughts after you go to your car and find yours was stolen and get the bill for replacement, unless you are the one doing the stealing you may have a change of heart
Jane Doe

Bradenton, FL

#34 Jul 10, 2008
JANE DOE wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering why you give so much information about your car and where it will be parked? Age, make, color! Easy prey now don't you think if someone is looking for one? Got to be so careful nowdays ya know?
Not meaning to be unkind or snotty here, just noticed it in your posts and wanted you to know how it stood out to me!
I'm sorry Busted Up...I guess I hit the wrong "reply" button. This was meant for "hollander". My Bad!!!!!!!!
hollander

United States

#35 Jul 10, 2008
I do agree w Jackie. Just like the aluminum bleachers @ Lil League parks. Don't we, the taxpayers, have the right to be able to sit down whilst watching the young ones play? Or how about the farmers who lose irrigation piping to fly by night "scrappers". Don't they have the right to farm. I know I like to eat what they grow. They end up passing the costs on to us or going out of business. Then we get to eat veggies from Mexico that have e-coli or salmonella. A little extra paperwork to ensure the public good is not a bad thing. If a scrap yard is honest & efficient checking the source of metal brought in s/b no big deal.
metalsguy

Grand Rapids, MI

#36 Jul 10, 2008
Just an FYI, but platinum is actually under $2,000 an ounce, not over $42,000. Slight difference there.
A concerned person

Granbury, TX

#37 Jul 10, 2008
thomaswm wrote:
according to kitco.com platinum is Platinum 1954.00 - a far cry from $42,000 per ounce - more quality info from the cops - come on woodtv check your facts this is just embarrasing
LMAO thats funny , I just called tv8 and asked them if teh verified their stories , I was told "yes we do " .So then I aksed them why is it the story says 42,000 an oz. when in new york its trading for 1972.00 an oz. she was speechless ..lol then said well we will have to go back and find out where we got the information. So I told her where teh quote came from and she was like..ummm I guess we will have to go ask him where he got his information ...LMAO just to hear her voice was so funny when she realized they got busted with not only the wrong facts but a lie.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#38 Jul 10, 2008
YTI wrote:
<quoted text>mam are you retarted
It's retarded, fool. Look who's talking.
Chris

Rockford, MI

#39 Jul 10, 2008
I am fairly positive that platinum is holding at or around $2,000.00 per oz.
Anonymous

United States

#40 Jul 10, 2008
If it's not the catalytic converter, it's your gasoline. The latest stunt is to poke holes in the gas tank and drain the gas out. And it will happen in your own driveway! Use your garage if you have one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump has no chance 7 hr Sneaky Pete 13
News Muskegon YMCA revokes memberships of registered... (Nov '07) 19 hr Ddotl3038 66
News Booming again: West Michigan's economy is on a ... Wed Disco Stu 37
Poor Little Patriots Wed Joe Balls 25
News Why micro loans might be key to growing black-o... Jun 28 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Woman hospitalized after wild high-speed chase ... Jan '16 Hudsonville 1
Cod on Twitch (May '15) May '15 KillerStatus 1

Hudsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hudsonville Mortgages