Park-and-ride a farm for catalytic converter thefts

High gas prices and a slow economy made sharing rides more popular, with the Park-and-Ride carpool lots exploding in use. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
thomaswm

United States

#1 Jul 9, 2008
according to kitco.com platinum is Platinum 1954.00 - a far cry from $42,000 per ounce - more quality info from the cops - come on woodtv check your facts this is just embarrasing
just noticed

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jul 9, 2008
UM,,, platinum is NOT well over $42,000 an ounce. Somebody got something wrong there.
Lucy in Rockford

Caro, MI

#3 Jul 9, 2008
Oh suuuuuure! And Granholm is urging us all to do just that! PARK AND RIDE!

Nice try, governor.
Snoop T

United States

#4 Jul 9, 2008
oh that's right, if the cops say it must be true
Mike Dadd

Mason, OH

#5 Jul 9, 2008
I drive a Moped 30 miles to work and back Holland to Muskegon. I think a few people should hang out with tazor's and shock the crap out of these idiots...
SCOTT

AOL

#6 Jul 9, 2008
Believe it was a typo.....since the dollar sign is located above the "4" on the keyboard....probably meant "$2,000", not "4"2,000".

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7 Jul 9, 2008
The platinum in a catalytic converter is in the form of a dust sprayed in/over the honeycombed brick inside the canister. There is only a tiny amount of platinum in the spray that is applied, less than $10 worth. Even then, it would take chemical separation to harvest the platinum, a costly process.

These catalytic converters are most likely being stolen for after-market value. They can easily be re-welded onto pipes and someone getting their car fixed would not know the difference without inspecting it.

“Listen to the Truth, Man.”

Since: Apr 08

Comstock Park

#8 Jul 9, 2008
They'll be sh*t out of luck with my car, I don't have a catalytic converter.
Partially correct but

Paw Paw, MI

#9 Jul 9, 2008
Arctic49519 wrote:
The platinum in a catalytic converter is in the form of a dust sprayed in/over the honeycombed brick inside the canister. There is only a tiny amount of platinum in the spray that is applied, less than $10 worth. Even then, it would take chemical separation to harvest the platinum, a costly process.
These catalytic converters are most likely being stolen for after-market value. They can easily be re-welded onto pipes and someone getting their car fixed would not know the difference without inspecting it.
They ARE being sold to scrap yards by the truck load lately. The report a month back showed them stacked at the recycle center. The centers are to report people bringing in more than just a couple. The shops have a separate collection for these things and are usually picked up by a service company.
But! I really wonder how many of theses centers are actually reporting it!
ronmuskegon

United States

#10 Jul 9, 2008
They could help end this by having scrap yards take only converters with a replacement receipt from customers that show they have replaced there converters recently. Not having that information would make it illegal for scrap yards to have them without a copy from customers,and there customers receipt would be only valid for 30 days after there new purchase receipt.
Snoop T

United States

#11 Jul 9, 2008
ronmuskegon wrote:
They could help end this by having scrap yards take only converters with a replacement receipt from customers that show they have replaced there converters recently. Not having that information would make it illegal for scrap yards to have them without a copy from customers,and there customers receipt would be only valid for 30 days after there new purchase receipt.
yea baby that's what we need more laws! laws stop crime! it has been proven over and over again!
ronmuskegon

United States

#12 Jul 9, 2008
Snoop T wrote:
<quoted text>
yea baby that's what we need more laws! laws stop crime! it has been proven over and over again!
this is to stop business from buying from the crooks. you stop them from doing business just like USA business doesnt do business with IRAN
Snoop T

United States

#13 Jul 9, 2008
ronmuskegon wrote:
<quoted text>this is to stop business from buying from the crooks. you stop them from doing business just like USA business doesnt do business with IRAN
go to the scrap yard some monday and wait for an hour to sell your stuff - they do a fine job at padnos and other west michigna scrap yards screening and getting ID from sellers of scrap - you can not sell scrap without giving a copy of your current state ID
ronmuskegon

United States

#14 Jul 9, 2008
Snoop T wrote:
<quoted text>
go to the scrap yard some monday and wait for an hour to sell your stuff - they do a fine job at padnos and other west michigna scrap yards screening and getting ID from sellers of scrap - you can not sell scrap without giving a copy of your current state ID
That's right so by taking two more seconds to check to see if you have a receipt for changing your converter and turning old one in would add to a lot more hassles for the returner just think of the hassle the person that got stolen from has to go thru
Snoop T

United States

#15 Jul 9, 2008
oh please - don't we have enough laws - get a grip - how about passing a law to buy a replacement first - you should have a police report stating that your was stolen before you can buy a new one?
Snoop T

United States

#16 Jul 9, 2008
ronmuskegon wrote:
<quoted text>That's right so by taking two more seconds to check to see if you have a receipt for changing your converter and turning old one in would add to a lot more hassles for the returner just think of the hassle the person that got stolen from has to go thru
ohhh! i know! i know what would solve everything! we could raise $100,000 and get George Heartwell to pass a city ordiance!
sherlock holmes

United States

#17 Jul 9, 2008
It seems to me that if they are aware of this they s/b able to catch these rats. Of course now that this story has aired the perps will now avoid these venues. Who are they selling them to? Why not put some pressure on them to catch the thieves? Shouldn't they be asking questions as to where they are suddenly finding so many converters? Anyone have any trouble @ parking lot in MI City, IN for So. Shore Line? Carroll Avenue? My wife is wigged out about leaving our 6 yr old Mazda there for 4 nites.
Kim

Stratton, OH

#18 Jul 9, 2008
Sherlock,

I have left my car at that Michigan City stop many times and it's been just fine. I believe that station is staffed during the day and I've heard it's patrolled at night, so hopefully that will east your wife's mind.
Kim

Stratton, OH

#19 Jul 9, 2008
Of course I meant "ease" and I am NOT in East Leroy! How on earth did that happen? Oh well...
Karen

Wyoming, MI

#20 Jul 9, 2008
It amazes me every day now in the news what these people will think of to steal. I just wonder, how do they sleep at night? Do they even have a conscience?
Just like the man that broke into my house, we all have to pay for repairs etc, because these people who rip us off, get away with it. Im so sick of it. Why is it always the innocent people that pay for others dishonesty?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 4 hr SLY WEST 24
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 10 hr DrX 59
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 13 hr Go Blue Forever 1,483
most ludicrious car commercial Sun bobolinq 1
happy wife . . . Sun bobolinq 1
sony balony Sat Idea Maker 6
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan Sat Who 1
Hudsonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hudsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hudsonville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hudsonville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:33 pm PST

NBC Sports 4:33PM
Raiola could be facing a suspension after Sunday stomp
NBC Sports 4:33 PM
Raiola could be facing a suspension after Sunday stomp
Bleacher Report 5:21 PM
Trestman's QB Change Fails to Provide Spark
Bleacher Report 7:07 PM
Who Will Come out on Top of NFC North?
NBC Sports 7:55 PM
Packers favored by at least seven points