Cancer Deaths Declining, Especially Among Young

Aug 13, 2009 Full story: HealthDay

Cancer death rates are declining, especially among younger people, new research shows.

Full Story

Since: Dec 05

Union, NJ

#1 Aug 14, 2009
But, if we would analyze non-cancer deaths among cancer patients, it could become clear that orthodox therapies often do more harm than good. For example, cancer treatment can damage the heart and cause deaths from heart failure. This means fewer deaths from cancer. Analysis of the records of 1.2 million cancer cases in the Surveilance, Evaluation and End Results (SEER) database showed that non-cancer deaths accounted for 21 - 37 percent of all deaths. The authors of this analysis attributed this effect to the damage caused by cancer treatment, mainly chemotherapy.

I believe that any true randomized clinical trial (where it has been shown that a group treated with chemotherapy experienced significantly increased survival when compared with that of an untreated group) would show the SEER figures to be too low. In clinical trials, many patients are excluded because they could not complete the rather arduous treatment. So randomized comparisions are of healthier treated patients against all the controls, rendering a lot of trials invalid.

And until recently, there was no access to SEER data in myelodyplastic syndrome (MDS). This data is now starting to be developed and is confirming that MDS differentially affects older patients. As the current generation's age and life expectation lengthens, MDS may become a significant health issue world wide. This also emphasizes the need to develop therapies for older patients not candidates for intensive chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation.

“Pig-O-Riffic!”

Since: Nov 08

United States

#2 Aug 18, 2009
After watching a child die from chemotherapy treatments when there was no proof his cancer had returned, I've sworn for years I'll seek alternate treatment before chemo.

We need cancer drugs that don't kill the good cells along with the bad. Something that a nurse won't get a 3rd degree burn from if it touches her skin that we shoot up into people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bengazi is back 2 hr Gville Jim 88
President O'Blama' Punts Again 2 hr Gville Jim 16
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 3 hr Gville Jim 25
Obama's new approval rating at 38% (Mar '14) 5 hr Phil 87
go blue goes black 6 hr Phil 58
why war with isis? 6 hr Phil 21
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 123
•••
•••
•••

Hudsonville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Hudsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••