Crash closes westbound I-196

West bound I-196 is closed between the Hudsonville and Zeeland exit because of a crash involving a M-Dot fertilizer truck and a delivery truck. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jaylynne

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Aug 9, 2007
People please slow down and pay attention to the road !!!!!!!
laura

Palatine, IL

#2 Aug 9, 2007
Well it's 12:45 and I just got home from school(GRCC). I live in Holland and I was caught in this mess. I truly hope both victims of the accident will be ok. By the way, to all of you inconsiderate people that thought you could bypass all of us in the right lane, what comes around goes around. I finally saw people actually blocking off the shoulder to keep people from passing all of us that were patiently waiting in line. Unless you or a passenger in your car was in dire need of help, you had NO right to ride the shoulder to get to the head of the line. I actually cussed under my breath when a whole string of cars passed me in this manner. I thought"I hope you get caught". Even better, one of them was stranded on the side of the road with his car "severely overheated". Ha.I don't like to wait an hour in a traffic jam either, but use common sense. GET IN LINE. DON'T CUT TO THE FRONT. Bravo to those of you who "blocked" the shoulder to keep people in line. I tried but i thought someone may smash my car or even worse yet, get into a physical altercation. Be safe people.
Lucy

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Aug 9, 2007
Does anyone know how to drive anymore??!!

“Secure our borders!!!”

Since: Jun 07

Muskegon, MI

#4 Aug 9, 2007
Why wasn't this Fertilizer Truck equipped with one of those Big signs behind it with an arrow telling traffic to move over ?
I saw one of these trucks yesterday almost get rear ended on I-96 west bound coming home from Grand Rapids.
People are going 70+ mph and they come up on this truck moving 5-10mph awfully quick . There should be posting warning drivers . It is unfortunate that there are many who do not pay attention .

As far as the other comment for people to slow down . Maybe they were doing the posted 70 mph . This utility vehicle was doing 5-10mph with out warnings to driver a half mile behind him . When you are doing 70 you cover a lot of distance in a brief period of time .
hms

Ann Arbor, MI

#5 Aug 9, 2007
laura wrote:
Well it's 12:45 and I just got home from school(GRCC). I live in Holland and I was caught in this mess. I truly hope both victims of the accident will be ok. By the way, to all of you inconsiderate people that thought you could bypass all of us in the right lane, what comes around goes around. I finally saw people actually blocking off the shoulder to keep people from passing all of us that were patiently waiting in line. Unless you or a passenger in your car was in dire need of help, you had NO right to ride the shoulder to get to the head of the line. I actually cussed under my breath when a whole string of cars passed me in this manner. I thought"I hope you get caught". Even better, one of them was stranded on the side of the road with his car "severely overheated". Ha.I don't like to wait an hour in a traffic jam either, but use common sense. GET IN LINE. DON'T CUT TO THE FRONT. Bravo to those of you who "blocked" the shoulder to keep people in line. I tried but i thought someone may smash my car or even worse yet, get into a physical altercation. Be safe people.
I totally agree with you on this...people are always trying to bypass someone just to get in the front of the line. I dont ever let anyone who does that crap get through. Too many people in a hurry!
Jaylynne

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Aug 9, 2007
Big Mark wrote:
Why wasn't this Fertilizer Truck equipped with one of those Big signs behind it with an arrow telling traffic to move over ?
I saw one of these trucks yesterday almost get rear ended on I-96 west bound coming home from Grand Rapids.
People are going 70+ mph and they come up on this truck moving 5-10mph awfully quick . There should be posting warning drivers . It is unfortunate that there are many who do not pay attention .
As far as the other comment for people to slow down . Maybe they were doing the posted 70 mph . This utility vehicle was doing 5-10mph with out warnings to driver a half mile behind him . When you are doing 70 you cover a lot of distance in a brief period of time .
I havn't read anywhere that the utility vehicle didn't have any flashing lights on it, more than likely it at least had several flashing lights on the back of it. The area that it happend doesn't have a lot of hills or hidden curves, people really need to slow down (going 70 miles per hour I doubt it have you ever driven 70 mph thru that areas, everyone is passing you like your standing still) and pay attention, I am sure the flashing lights were visable at least a mile ahead of time...

Slow down and keep your eyes on the road......
Jaylynne

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Aug 9, 2007
PS. I hope both drivers make a full recovery.

“Secure our borders!!!”

Muskegon, MI

#8 Aug 9, 2007
Jaylynne wrote:
<quoted text>
I havn't read anywhere that the utility vehicle didn't have any flashing lights on it, more than likely it at least had several flashing lights on the back of it. The area that it happend doesn't have a lot of hills or hidden curves, people really need to slow down (going 70 miles per hour I doubt it have you ever driven 70 mph thru that areas, everyone is passing you like your standing still) and pay attention, I am sure the flashing lights were visable at least a mile ahead of time...
Slow down and keep your eyes on the road......
The one I past yesterday did not have any lights visible untill you were 50 yards away from it .
Reports from other drivers had stated this was the same condition this morning .

“Secure our borders!!!”

Muskegon, MI

#9 Aug 9, 2007
Yes , I drive these highways everyday putting almost 200 miles a day 5 days a week for several years now .
Chuck

Caledonia, MI

#10 Aug 9, 2007
Big Mark is just a Big Douchebag. He's more interested in trying to get his point across rather than seeing if everyone is ok. Your thoughts are super interesting Big Douche.
Sharon B

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Aug 9, 2007
for all those people passing and going around,what makes you think your destination point is more important then mine???we all want to get where we are going,but getting there ALIVE would be much nicer...SLOW DOWN
Nicole

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Aug 9, 2007
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the family, co-workers and friends of the injured. May you make a full recovery. Unfortunately accidents happen and when you spend so many hours driving they do happen.

For those of you that feel the need to flame this, please remember that friends, family, and associates of those injured are reading what you are posting and may be offended that you are putting that first and remembering the lives involved as a secondary matter.
big mark

Muskegon, MI

#13 Aug 9, 2007
Chuck wrote:
Big Mark is just a Big Douchebag. He's more interested in trying to get his point across rather than seeing if everyone is ok. Your thoughts are super interesting Big Douche.
Your are so right there Chuckie boy .
Go shave your mothers back .
hmmmmmmm

United States

#14 Aug 9, 2007
hms wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with you on this...people are always trying to bypass someone just to get in the front of the line. I dont ever let anyone who does that crap get through. Too many people in a hurry!
I always let them go... and wave, when we are at the next traffic light together.... lol
LOL

Muskegon, MI

#15 Aug 9, 2007
big mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are so right there Chuckie boy .
Go shave your mothers back .
He told you chuckles ....LOL I never heard that on before big mark . Funny stuff . As for chuckie , watch your language son . There maybe kids here other than yourself ....
heheheehheehe. Shave your moms back . LOL. hehehe
Funny stuff
Jaylynne

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Aug 9, 2007
Big Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
The one I past yesterday did not have any lights visible untill you were 50 yards away from it .
Reports from other drivers had stated this was the same condition this morning .
Ok Big Mark. I can tell from your posts.....YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT.....
BIGMATT

United States

#17 Aug 9, 2007
Why was the DOT truck on a pretty busy highway at that time of the day. In Michigan we have there is daytime and there is nightime. Wouldnt it have been a little safer to have a truck on the road when there arent as many cars out. Just a thought. Maybe people should slow down!! Was speed a issue in the crash?
BIGMATT

United States

#18 Aug 9, 2007
CANT WE ALL BE FRIENDS
to bigmatt

Allendale, MI

#19 Aug 9, 2007
One of the many problems with night time work on any open corridor is the increased risk of drunk drivers.

This truck was operating at probably the safest time for the operator and the public. Past the morning rush, but before the lunch/afternoon rush.
Jaylynne

Allendale, MI

#21 Aug 9, 2007
Just read the story on Woodtv. Said the MDOT was parked on the side of the road. Highways have pretty large shoulder, the driver of the other truck must not have been paying attention, went onto the should and hit the MDOT Truck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Modality for Pain Reduction 6 hr britt05 1
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... 6 hr Gville Jim 10
hillary is a shoe-in for the top spot 6 hr Gville Jim 4
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 13 hr stewart scott 1,702
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 17 hr Cmar 991
Anna's House to open 3rd breakfast restaurant n... Mon Cheryl 1
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Feb 27 Snowstruck 69
Hudsonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hudsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:08 am PST