Thieves stealing gasoline from construction sites

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Ottawa County - High prices at the pump are being blamed for gasoline thefts throughout Ottawa County.
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Apr 10, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

I dont know if they just plain desperate for gas ? I would have to be, to take a chance on going to jail if caught. Sad either way.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

I've also heard vandals are trolling through parking lots, and just plain punching holes in gas tanks with ice picks, or whatever.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

I hope these thieves know the difference between gasoline and Diesel fuel. The are going to be in for a sad surprise if they try putting diesel in their gasoline engine! LOL.

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
I hope these thieves know the difference between gasoline and Diesel fuel. The are going to be in for a sad surprise if they try putting diesel in their gasoline engine! LOL.
Well Hurley ,they will be fast to find out! hehe

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing! LOL
Just Me

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

At least in the old days when they did it, they worked for it! the suction was created by sucking on a tube...and let me tell ya...they would know the difference between Diesel and Gasoline then....

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Just Me wrote:
At least in the old days when they did it, they worked for it! the suction was created by sucking on a tube...and let me tell ya...they would know the difference between Diesel and Gasoline then....
so true,Been their done that,youre telling youre age. hehe And we did the gum wrapper thing on fuses in cars.Yes, Im showing my age. hehe
BMG

Milan, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

This is just the start...With a depression just around the corner, it's only going to get worse!

“Tomorrow is another today”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
Would LOVE to be there if only to see them rubbing their hands together because they got the fuel, and laughing because they think they are soooo dang smart while pouring the gas in the car.....only to get in that car and turn the key!!

I think I'd be the only one laughing then!!!!
calvin

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

why should people in muskegon pay for something that happened in ottowa county.and how long do we have to suffer while they make their mone back..
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Construction sites are vulnerable for a lot of theft. In the past, it was just tools. With current gas prices, anyone without a locking gas cap is also fair game.

Sad indeed. Expect it all to get worse.
Leaving MI soon

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

liberalsblow wrote:
<quoted text>
I Am glad that you made these comments, because they have just been submitted to the State Police! Yes, I have reported you.
You need to relax also. There's no crime committed here. Just talk.

Since: Feb 08

Portage, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

tampabay wrote:
I dont know if they just plain desperate for gas ? I would have to be, to take a chance on going to jail if caught. Sad either way.
It is just plain wrong! Jail or not, its stealing something from someone that is working very hard to get and we the consumer whoever hires them for a job will help pay for their loss. They have to recover somehow and it will be recovered through higher excavating rates. If you catch them? Remove their hands so they cannot steel again! There is no justified reason for stealing!

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

This is worse than stealing gas from a gas station! These people put their own/company money in to their gas tanks! They are pay more than the average person in gas, and for someone to do a low down dirty thing like this from people/company that is struggling just as much as the person who is stealing the gas. This is just not tolerable! I can't wait for these people to get busted! Hope they get the max! Geez to steal from another person!

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Randy Whitten wrote:
<quoted text>
It is just plain wrong! Jail or not, its stealing something from someone that is working very hard to get and we the consumer whoever hires them for a job will help pay for their loss. They have to recover somehow and it will be recovered through higher excavating rates. If you catch them? Remove their hands so they cannot steel again! There is no justified reason for stealing!
Yes, it is wrong. They will answer to the law or The lord which ever comes First.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

outdoors lover wrote:
<quoted text>
It's NOT all blacks it's all races, Thieves come in all color. I have had my Jeeps broke into twice in the last year, Guess what both time they were WHITE punks, I managed a store for many years 99% of gas drive offs were by white men & women in the 30's & 40's. so don't play the race card.
Ah, but you can bet that when one of them arrested is Black that THEY'LL place the race card.
Heathers mum

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

calvin wrote:
why should people in muskegon pay for something that happened in ottawa county.and how long do we have to suffer while they make their mone back..
Unfortunately it isn't just Ottawa county , because of the amount going on is why it's a story. This is happening all over the place. I have to review my surveillance tapes at my business in GR every day. People are stealing anything and everything.
stay at home mom

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

pregnant and crabby wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know you shouldn't say that, lately it is just as many whites doing the breaking and entering.
You've got that right. My daughter's ex-boyfriend(charming young man, not) was caught stealing gas. He was white as paper. He had a DRUG HABIT! That's what it's about a lot of times. Yes, he went to jail for 6 months. Hopefully long enough to get clean...

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Caledonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, when a threat is made on any government official or group, direct or indirect, it is a felony! Things like these need to be reported to the correct organizations. They may find nothing wrong with this, but it has been reported non the less.
"neko" is just plain nuts

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Taxpayer wrote:
Construction sites are vulnerable for a lot of theft. In the past, it was just tools. With current gas prices, anyone without a locking gas cap is also fair game.
Sad indeed. Expect it all to get worse.
Also, a lot of people who live out in the country still leave their keys in the ignition, and unlocked in the driveway at night. Vehicles are being stolen just because they have gas in them. And when you report it stolen, and it's finally recovered and trashed, the insurance company and police call it "borrowing without permission" if your keys are left in the vehicle. So remember to pull your keys and lock 'em up!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 1,325
why war with isis? 15 hr kookierecluse 17
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... 15 hr DNF 313
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 19 hr Kelly Hadd 8
Cousins hope to open Grand Rapids' first hostel... 20 hr Faith 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Tue Zee 2,297
Ellen Bacca Fan Club Tue Lindon 1
•••
•••
•••

Hudsonville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000