Shaken baby cases on the rise

Shaken baby cases on the rise

There are 20 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Oct 23, 2007, titled Shaken baby cases on the rise. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

A single moment of frustration can lead to a lifetime of agony. That's the message of a public service announcement that is running on 19 radio stations in the Grand Rapids area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Greg

United States

#1 Oct 23, 2007
I had the privilege of coaching little league for another member of this family and without fail Dad and Mom would bring Travis and other family to the ball games. Obviously this took a lot of time and energy - what a testimony this family displays. Truly they have taken a horrible situation and made the best out of it. Their outward expressions of love to Travis and their family made an impact in my life. Thank you for your courage...your family should be commended.
Lightsout

Hudsonville, MI

#2 Oct 23, 2007
And just we think life hasn't been fair to us?

Isaiah 40:29,30,31

Since: Aug 07

Grand Rapids

#3 Oct 23, 2007
I hope the family of Jeffery Mata is reading this. He is the man who confessed to dropping and shaking an 8 month old little girl causing her death. His family has been on these forums supporting him, "he only shook her a little bit, after he dropped her, to get her to breathe" I truly hope they read this and see what a monstrous thing he has done.

“I think I am an All Right Girl”

Since: Aug 07

Grand Rapids

#4 Oct 23, 2007
hmmmmmmm I so agree with you but you know as well as I that they won't which totally stinks! Maybe Meghan who I think we may be changing her a little will read it?!?!?! We can only hope!
i love my kids

Granbury, TX

#5 Oct 23, 2007
hmmmmmmm wrote:
I hope the family of Jeffery Mata is reading this. He is the man who confessed to dropping and shaking an 8 month old little girl causing her death. His family has been on these forums supporting him, "he only shook her a little bit, after he dropped her, to get her to breathe" I truly hope they read this and see what a monstrous thing he has done.
oh no they will not read this.they know what he did and are ok wth it.they will not give up on him.but soon he will be gone
Judy

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Oct 26, 2007
The reason the number of cases is on the rise is because SBS is a theory that doctors utilize to cover a vast number of symptoms that are used as a catch all rather than ensuring they are completely verifying the medical history and facts. Doctors are brain washed to rule any unexplained head injury and/or retinal damage as being SBS. It's a witch hunt to convict anyone just because they are too quick to judge before trying to ensure the child did not have an underlying medical condition, a reaction to a vaccination, issues with prematurity and the list goes on. I do believe SBS does exists but doctors are overzealous in assigning guilt without any regard to the lives they damage along the way. For those that are guilty, they deserve what they get but doctors, police and judges owe it to society to look at the whole picture and not jump to conclusions.
Nicholas s mom

Wayland, MI

#7 Nov 10, 2007
Judy,
I disagree. Our son was shaken by his daycare provider when he was only 6 months old. The TEAM of doctors knew what they suspected had happened right away. However they spent almost 2 days running tests before they made a diagnosis. Even though we were watching it before our eyes, and listening to their excellent explanations, it took weeks for us to understand the diagnosis.
So, I believe it is difficult for the average person to understand the devistation that results from even ONE violent shake of frustration.
Having been through the process on the victims side, the doctors and specialists and even detectives are not quick to diagnosis. They are cautious, and use every medical test available before making any decisions.
If anything, I feel that many cases of Shaken Baby Syndrome have gone UN-diagnosed. Simply because the mildest symptom (flu-like symptoms) can be passed off as 'normal'.
I hope you see our point of view even if you don't agree. The unfortunate truth is...my son Nicholas lived only 5 1/2 years after he was shaken. He died last April.
Judy wrote:
The reason the number of cases is on the rise is because SBS is a theory that doctors utilize to cover a vast number of symptoms that are used as a catch all rather than ensuring they are completely verifying the medical history and facts. Doctors are brain washed to rule any unexplained head injury and/or retinal damage as being SBS. It's a witch hunt to convict anyone just because they are too quick to judge before trying to ensure the child did not have an underlying medical condition, a reaction to a vaccination, issues with prematurity and the list goes on. I do believe SBS does exists but doctors are overzealous in assigning guilt without any regard to the lives they damage along the way. For those that are guilty, they deserve what they get but doctors, police and judges owe it to society to look at the whole picture and not jump to conclusions.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#8 Nov 10, 2007
Judy wrote:
The reason the number of cases is on the rise is because SBS is a theory that doctors utilize to cover a vast number of symptoms that are used as a catch all rather than ensuring they are completely verifying the medical history and facts. Doctors are brain washed to rule any unexplained head injury and/or retinal damage as being SBS. It's a witch hunt to convict anyone just because they are too quick to judge before trying to ensure the child did not have an underlying medical condition, a reaction to a vaccination, issues with prematurity and the list goes on. I do believe SBS does exists but doctors are overzealous in assigning guilt without any regard to the lives they damage along the way. For those that are guilty, they deserve what they get but doctors, police and judges owe it to society to look at the whole picture and not jump to conclusions.
Judy, don't mean to be rude here, so please don't take this out of context......

It's been a while since my healthy little men have had their vaccinations but...

Will vaccinations cause the optic nerves to be destroyed from hemmorhaging? Will vaccinations rupture blood vessels and cause severe bleeding and severe swelling? I know they can cause brain damage so I'm not even going to ask that question.

There are many tests that doctors do to confirm if it's a SBS case or not. They don't just make these decisions on a whim. There are some cases that have been hard to diagnos but there are others that are very blatant to them on SBS. SBS can cause bleeding in all parts of the brain, but an MRI and even a CT scan can show bruising and bleed on the frontal and occipital lobes of the brain (front and back), which is a clear indication of some how the baby's brain has been forced from front to back. Without a history of some sort of accident(ie car accident), this is a clear indication of SBS.

You have to remember, our brains are support is a thick skull and surrounded by fluid. For a baby with a weak neck, the force of shaking back and forth will cause the brain to move like jello, slamming into the skull in the front and the back. The brain also keeps moving like jello. So 'one little shake' as someone might say can cause the brain to strike against the front and the back REPEATELY.

Sorry if this was too graphic for some, but that's what happens to a baby's brain when they are shaken. More people need the specifics of what happens and sometimes being blunt is the best way to put it.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#9 Nov 10, 2007
Nicolas's mom,

I'm sorry for the loss of your little angel. My heart is breaking for you.

“Congrats to all Graduating”

Since: Aug 07

Muskegon, MI

#10 Nov 10, 2007
I'm sorry .
I could not even read this whole statement, my whole views of jeff just changed, I dont care if that dumb girl is hideing somthing, she allowed this just the same.MY OPINION!
my opinion in my case of my situation too...
this is sick, hurtful and puts rage in me, I hope that family rots in hell for what they did to that poor baby, what they are doing to people on here.
how dare her leave them babies with him!

IN BOTH CASES!just to clear that up, mine too!
we are all suffering from these ignorant people hurting our children(children in our community)
do we need to handle it our self, the justice system sure is not.
I'm sorry!
I have lost it!!!!

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#11 Nov 10, 2007
Bri Bri 73 wrote:
I'm sorry .
I could not even read this whole statement, my whole views of jeff just changed, I dont care if that dumb girl is hideing somthing, she allowed this just the same.MY OPINION!
my opinion in my case of my situation too...
this is sick, hurtful and puts rage in me, I hope that family rots in hell for what they did to that poor baby, what they are doing to people on here.
how dare her leave them babies with him!
IN BOTH CASES!just to clear that up, mine too!
we are all suffering from these ignorant people hurting our children(children in our community)
do we need to handle it our self, the justice system sure is not.
I'm sorry!
I have lost it!!!!
You haven't lost it Bri. I think we all feel that at some point. No need to be sorry im not for thinking that way sometimes. accually they are getting off lucky going to prison. I pitty them if they saw the likes of me.

“Congrats to all Graduating”

Since: Aug 07

Muskegon, MI

#12 Nov 10, 2007
Out doors lover,
Thank you..but I do feel that way.
I did not see tha above posts until just now.
The optic nerve thing.
I need to talk to someone FAST!
is hmmm on now?
shoot!

“Congrats to all Graduating”

Since: Aug 07

Muskegon, MI

#13 Nov 10, 2007
PLEASE LOOK AT THIS!
if a contusion is found on the back of the head in the right optical region...
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Is this a cut, or is this in the lines of internal?

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#14 Nov 11, 2007
Bri Bri 73 wrote:
PLEASE LOOK AT THIS!
if a contusion is found on the back of the head in the right optical region...
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Is this a cut, or is this in the lines of internal?
Bri... I dont' understand what you're asking.. myspace me.. I'll be around on and off today.
Roadhouse

Canby, OR

#15 Dec 1, 2007
The dr's who are diagnosing this are ruining lives. This is all a modern day witch hunt. And only god will punish the Dr's for ruining so many innocent people lives
PBj

Holland, MI

#16 Dec 1, 2007
IF a woman walks into an ER with an injury the nursing staff will pressure them asking if a man did it.
Ive seen it, even when the patient says NO they keep beating them asking over and over again.
the hospitals have become PC and extremal liberal in their politics.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#17 Dec 2, 2007
Roadhouse wrote:
The dr's who are diagnosing this are ruining lives. This is all a modern day witch hunt. And only god will punish the Dr's for ruining so many innocent people lives
I'm sorry, but this is simply NOT true. There are obvious cases of abuse by the injuries a baby will come in with. For a baby to have an extreme head injury when they are young, that is one of the FIRST warning signs. A baby will NOT have done that sort of thing by themselves. It's not a witch hunt as you like to call it.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#18 Dec 2, 2007
PBj wrote:
IF a woman walks into an ER with an injury the nursing staff will pressure them asking if a man did it.
Ive seen it, even when the patient says NO they keep beating them asking over and over again.
the hospitals have become PC and extremal liberal in their politics.
Really? funny, I've been in the ER with injuries and not ONCE have I ever been asked if it was due to abuse. I was even in the ER with my children and never once have they questioned the explainations and possibly come to the conclusion of it being abuse or even suggesting it.

I have worked in ER's before. Being in on the convo's with nurses and doctors and discussing things like this with them, they see some warning signs that could point to abuse, and UNDER LAW, they have to determine if it is or not.

Did you know that anyone being abused will deny any abuse? They have been told and trained that if they tell, they will be beat worse than they were before. They have been told they 'will pay' for getting the abuser in trouble.

Spend some time in a battered women's shelter, or with or Catholic Social Services or even Bethany Christian Services and see what they have to deal with on a daily basis and what they know about abuse.

Since: Aug 07

Grand Rapids

#19 Dec 2, 2007
PBj wrote:
IF a woman walks into an ER with an injury the nursing staff will pressure them asking if a man did it.
Ive seen it, even when the patient says NO they keep beating them asking over and over again.
the hospitals have become PC and extremal liberal in their politics.
I've been a victim of domestic violence and been at the hospital... never once was I asked if a man did this to me. Sometimes I think they should ask, but I don't believe they are allowed to ask that question directly. If someone has made a police report, then the police/detectives will ask for as much pertinent information as the victim is able to give. But I have never heard of hospital staff pressuring a patient...(that's the stuff you see on tv.)

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#21 Dec 3, 2007
Get Real wrote:
I guess I don't understand why women choose men that do these things, with violent tendencies, I don't believe that this personality trait can be hidden so well that the girl never sees it coming......I think it's more denial.
I adore my wife of 21 years, and our little girl. Why do women choose guys like this? and it is a choice.
To be honest, my ex didn't show this until after we were already married and my oldest was born. He was NOTHING like that before, and we lived together before we were married also. After my youngest was born, it got worse, then it got better, then it got worse. We were separated for about 5 months and then back together for almost 3 years before we separated for a year and then divorced. As for the kids? 2 kinds of birth control. It's not like it was unprotected and planned. And I love my boys to death. I am the mama grizzly bear with them or anything that happens with them. There were a LOT of issues besides which I'm not going into detail on a public forum about. But the man I divorced was NOT the man I married.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 3 hr Fabio 2,778
News Heavy Snow Leads to Power Outages HOLLAND, MI (... Thu District 1 1
News 'The fight is absolutely on' Wed MO_EATS_DUNGS 5
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Dec 5 a commenter 1,131
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Dec 4 Cuddles6778 284
So glad Hillary is not President Dec 1 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 9
Amway Fireworks (May '09) Nov 29 Amwaysux 88

Hudsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hudsonville Mortgages