4 held nude in Saginaw jail seek damages on detention policy

Mar 14, 2008 Read more: WZZM Grand Rapids 38
Four former inmates are seeking damages over naked detention practices at the Saginaw County Jail. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#22 Mar 16, 2008
This is clearly illegal, and the police officers responsible for this policy should pick up the tab for this lawsuit, not the taxpayers.

United States Constitution, 8th amendment: "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

This practice of humiliating inmates is undoubtedly unnecessary, and is certainly both cruel and unusual. Merely offending a cop does not forfeit one's constitutional and human rights. This isn't China.

“If ya can't say somethin' nice”

Since: Feb 08

Woodlands

#23 Mar 16, 2008
Arctic49519 wrote:
This is clearly illegal, and the police officers responsible for this policy should pick up the tab for this lawsuit, not the taxpayers.
United States Constitution, 8th amendment: "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."
This practice of humiliating inmates is undoubtedly unnecessary, and is certainly both cruel and unusual. Merely offending a cop does not forfeit one's constitutional and human rights. This isn't China.
Drunks that are put in that position, are usually way out of control, and are truly a danger to themselves and society. Better to have them in a position where they cannot hurt another person, or themselves.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#24 Mar 16, 2008
on the fly wrote:
<quoted text>
Drunks that are put in that position, are usually way out of control, and are truly a danger to themselves and society. Better to have them in a position where they cannot hurt another person, or themselves.
Absurd. When was the last time a drunk hurt themselves or another because they were NOT humiliated and stripped naked.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#25 Mar 16, 2008
Does anyone realize that this took place 8 years ago?
http://blog.mlive.com/saginawnews/2008/03/tes...

They have been humiliated ever since, and NOW want money? I'm still not saying that their treatment was right, but many of you are acting as if they were put in a cell that way to be a spectacle and ridiculed. It says they were segregated, and probably WERE a danger to themselves or the officers.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#26 Mar 16, 2008
Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
Absurd. When was the last time a drunk hurt themselves or another because they were NOT humiliated and stripped naked.
When YOU were last pulled in?

Just a guess.
Janet

AOL

#27 Mar 20, 2008
Some of these posts are really crude. What happened to our civil rights and the constitution? My husband was arrested and thrown in the Macomb County Jail for felony child support. Only one problem existed, he didn't owe any child support. He was paid in full. He was stripped nude and made to spend the night in jail because he told the jailers he didn't owe child support and he wanted to see a judge or at least make a phone call. His only crime was that his ex-wife works for the Macomb County Sheriff's Department and my husband is a political activist that advocates for parents rights and change in the family court system. I guess free speech and free association are now a crime and they can charge you with anything to keep you from advocating your constitutional rights. Please further note, that none of these people naked in jail had their day in court to prove their innocence. In fact they had not even been arraigned in front of a judge and formally charged with a crime. They were detained and stripped nude because someone accused them of committing a crime. Anyone can accuse you of anything and you can be detained for that anything until a judge orders you to be released on bond or dismissed the charges against you. The charges against my husband were dismissed by the judge but he still spent the night naked in a jail cell before he could see the judge that dismissed the charges. Something to think about!
what now

Lisle, IL

#28 Mar 20, 2008
Didn't the police (or whoever arrested your husband) even bother to CHECK to see if he really was behind in child support payments before arresting him?

If they didn't have evidence of it, he should sue them for false arrest.

In any case, even if he HAD owed child support at that point, I can see no plausible reason for him to have been stripped naked!!!! He certainly wouldn't have been a danger to anyone.

This sounds like out-of-control-abuse of "power" to me. I wonder if HE has a lawsuit. His complaint would sound a lot more valid than a bunch of drunks.

I think the "arresting officer" and your husbands ex-wife should be the ones in jail!
Batch 37 Pain is Good

Barnesville, OH

#29 Mar 20, 2008
Oh, and the liberals get upset when we strip terrorists but do they march on the Sheriff's office? NOOOOOO.
Maluminse

United States

#30 May 22, 2008
Everyone is brainwashed in this country to give up rights.
Shows like cops and other anti-civil liberties perpetuate this.

Because its happened for years makes it ok?? what?? Like they had a choice and you can say you should have said something. Like they could they were being forced to!

Yes the taxpayers are to pay. The city allowed these morons to act in this manner. Its in the line of work.

Nice lucy, nice personal attack way to avoid the argument. Assuming drunk in the first place and yes why does being naked make you safer? Like we are animals which are being herded.

Give me liberty or give me death, at least until Im brainwashed by a governement to applaud the taking of my civil liberties, to applaud the abuse of my fellow man.
CaptainKirk

Midland, MI

#31 May 23, 2008
Why are they complaining now? Do they need some
money? Maybe they should not drink and drive.
Instead of trying for some free money, maybe
they should get jobs!
Derek

Ottawa, Canada

#33 Jun 9, 2008
Seems like a lot of prisons/jails are caught in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with regards to suicide attempts. If an inmate commits suicide, the prison will surely be targeted with huge lawsuits from the families claiming that not enough was done to prevent the inmate from commiting suicide. But if the prison takes the necessary steps to prevent suicides, such as stripping inmates and cells, then they get hit again with lawsuits claiming they violated inmates constitutional rights.

Personally I don't see a problem with this. My aunt worked for years at a women's prison where standard procedure for inmates who were considered suicidal was to be placed naked in a stripped cell (no bed or toilet) and observed every 10 minutes until they were released from the cell, which could be a couple days or a couple weeks. She didn't have a single suicide for years! Yeah it's rough but I think preserving lives is the most important thing.
so what

Holland, MI

#34 Jun 9, 2008
big deal, a few looses don't like their punishment...la-de-da.
freaking cmiminals, lazy sumbags.
so what

Holland, MI

#35 Jun 9, 2008
Maluminse wrote:
Everyone is brainwashed in this country to give up rights.
Shows like cops and other anti-civil liberties perpetuate this.
Because its happened for years makes it ok?? what?? Like they had a choice and you can say you should have said something. Like they could they were being forced to!
Yes the taxpayers are to pay. The city allowed these morons to act in this manner. Its in the line of work.
Nice lucy, nice personal attack way to avoid the argument. Assuming drunk in the first place and yes why does being naked make you safer? Like we are animals which are being herded.
Give me liberty or give me death, at least until Im brainwashed by a governement to applaud the taking of my civil liberties, to applaud the abuse of my fellow man.
Sniff...Sniff, me thinks me smells a crafty liberal, full of half truths and half lies.
tester

United States

#36 Jun 11, 2008
test
Caroline Appleby

Burlington, VT

#37 May 19, 2009
Lucy Dear, How would you like it if they stripped your fat ass bare and evereryone could see your' missmatched curtains and carpet?
Cant see it straight

AOL

#38 May 20, 2009
CaptainKirk wrote:
Why are they complaining now? Do they need some
money? Maybe they should not drink and drive.
Instead of trying for some free money, maybe
they should get jobs!
Probably because they saw Sam Bernstien on TV say
" we have a no pay gaurentee you dont win you dont pay" so the light goes on and these clowns think "lets sue" see ho much money they can get

Lawyers are this countrys number one enemy

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#39 May 21, 2009
coffee lover wrote:
Good. Maybe they will not drink and drive again. If all jails did this maybe we would not have any more lives lost to drunk drivers.
Hear! Hear! I agree completely!!!
My Son My Son

Toledo, OH

#41 Jul 27, 2014
The strip naked & being thrown in "the hole" was sanctioned by Saginaw County Sheriff. Those sellected for such treatment were often pre-trial. Besides the strip & solitary confinement, there were closed circuit video surveillance. FBI as well as ACLU investgation turned up much more to the story. Statute of limitation prevented charges of wrongful death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
‘Clinton Cash,’ Questions Foreign Donations to... 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 5 hr Gville Jim 56
anybody know TONIANN MARCUS 22 hr rampage 4
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Apr 18 fuckoff 49
PathologicalLliar Apr 18 Batch 37 in pain_... 5
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Apr 18 tom wingo 1,843
News This Woman Didn't Get Any Bacon In Her Burger S... Apr 16 Gerald 48
More from around the web

Hudsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]