Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2013
Roger Plafkin

Ada, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

With the sale of the Pantlind Hotel to Amway, Grand Rapids lost one of its most prized possessions; it lost a meeting place for the average person in the community; it lost a place where you could take your children for a good meal in the cafeteria; it lost a place where people could meet at night at the Knife and Fork to meet friends and enjoy a cup of coffee or a late night snack; it lost a ball room where weddings and Bar Mitzvahs had been held for years; it lost a location that was affordable for familes to hold family events; the 1913 room did not make Grand Rapids unique or taking away accessibility and affordability give Grand Rapids any more pride in itself; in reality, pride has been taken away from the Grand Rapids Community by taking away the name Grand Rapids off from the museum and other designated areas; the area where the Hub on Lower Monroe was, where Knapes Music was, where Woolworth was, where the Boston Store and Barnes was, should have been left so that people could shop and see the river; not what appears to be a warehouse district with DeVos Hall. People wonder what is happening to this country; the truth is that communities are losing their individuality by selling out to just a few families who do not have the best interest of the entire community in mind; this is an ego trip when you have families taking control of hospitals, and pushing smaller families aside.
Roger Plafkin-Plafkin Brothers-Plafkin Farms, Ada, Michigan
Screwedagin

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Roger Plafkin wrote:
With the sale of the Pantlind Hotel to Amway, Grand Rapids lost one of its most prized possessions; it lost a meeting place for the average person in the community; it lost a place where you could take your children for a good meal in the cafeteria; it lost a place where people could meet at night at the Knife and Fork to meet friends and enjoy a cup of coffee or a late night snack; it lost a ball room where weddings and Bar Mitzvahs had been held for years; it lost a location that was affordable for familes to hold family events; the 1913 room did not make Grand Rapids unique or taking away accessibility and affordability give Grand Rapids any more pride in itself; in reality, pride has been taken away from the Grand Rapids Community by taking away the name Grand Rapids off from the museum and other designated areas; the area where the Hub on Lower Monroe was, where Knapes Music was, where Woolworth was, where the Boston Store and Barnes was, should have been left so that people could shop and see the river; not what appears to be a warehouse district with DeVos Hall. People wonder what is happening to this country; the truth is that communities are losing their individuality by selling out to just a few families who do not have the best interest of the entire community in mind; this is an ego trip when you have families taking control of hospitals, and pushing smaller families aside.
Roger Plafkin-Plafkin Brothers-Plafkin Farms, Ada, Michigan
As always Rog you are right on. You did forget to mention the Burton Capri and South Division prostitution as notable GR landmarks worth saving!
Codger Crapkin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Roger Plafkin wrote:
With the sale of the Pantlind Hotel to Amway, Grand Rapids lost one of its most prized possessions; it lost a meeting place for the average person in the community; it lost a place where you could take your children for a good meal in the cafeteria; it lost a place where people could meet at night at the Knife and Fork to meet friends and enjoy a cup of coffee or a late night snack; it lost a ball room where weddings and Bar Mitzvahs had been held for years; it lost a location that was affordable for familes to hold family events; the 1913 room did not make Grand Rapids unique or taking away accessibility and affordability give Grand Rapids any more pride in itself; in reality, pride has been taken away from the Grand Rapids Community by taking away the name Grand Rapids off from the museum and other designated areas; the area where the Hub on Lower Monroe was, where Knapes Music was, where Woolworth was, where the Boston Store and Barnes was, should have been left so that people could shop and see the river; not what appears to be a warehouse district with DeVos Hall. People wonder what is happening to this country; the truth is that communities are losing their individuality by selling out to just a few families who do not have the best interest of the entire community in mind; this is an ego trip when you have families taking control of hospitals, and pushing smaller families aside.
Roger Plafkin-Plafkin Brothers-Plafkin Farms, Ada, Michigan
What would normal people think looks better? Downtown Grand Rapids with the Amway Grand? Or your property in Ada with all of your trash cluttered all over it?

“Employed taxpayer”

Since: Nov 08

West Olive

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I am a class of 82 GVSC grad--when we held events there in the late 70's it was a run down POS with the ceiling falling in and the smell of mold everywhere.

Enjoyed the Tootsie Van Kelly era--spent many a nights and $ there.

Now with the high brow attitude I pass through there at artprize--and don't spend a dime.

Amway money saved her--and she lost her soul in the process.
OhOhObama

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I was there once, totally freaky poverty slum mode.

Those floors share one bathroom, rather live under a viaduct.
This girl I knew had to move, and she went to stay there for a little while.
The room was a narrow bed and just enough room to walk the length of the bed.

I lit a cigarette with a match and the smoke alarm went off.
I couldn't figure out if I would get mugged walking to the place from parking around back (in the daytime), or in front by the door, or before I made it to her room.

It should be torn down, that era is long gone.
Dolores

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1960brookwood wrote:
I am a class of 82 GVSC grad--when we held events there in the late 70's it was a run down POS with the ceiling falling in and the smell of mold everywhere.
Enjoyed the Tootsie Van Kelly era--spent many a nights and $ there.
Now with the high brow attitude I pass through there at artprize--and don't spend a dime.
Amway money saved her--and she lost her soul in the process.
Oh please. Highbrow? They got rid of the only highbrow joint in the hotel - the "1913 Room," the atmosphere of which reminded me of a funeral parlor. The Amway Grand is a pretty welcoming hotel and very affordable. You can often get rooms there for $100/night, which is a bargain these days.
Jerry

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 1, 2013
 
Dolores wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. Highbrow? They got rid of the only highbrow joint in the hotel - the "1913 Room," the atmosphere of which reminded me of a funeral parlor. The Amway Grand is a pretty welcoming hotel and very affordable. You can often get rooms there for $100/night, which is a bargain these days.
Maybe you're getting the frequent visitor discount.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hudsonville Discussions

Search the Hudsonville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 2 hr Dr X 702
Local News Women (Apr '09) 5 hr SOS in Mesa 2,293
More Lois Lerner Email Shenanigans 5 hr Sick of it 3
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 5 hr Outrageous 76
Review: A-1 Appliance Repair (Jan '10) 13 hr Cooking Herb 20
The Russian need a bullet in his head 15 hr Oneal 4
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 16 hr gottondas 5,482
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Ottawa County was issued at July 23 at 9:26PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hudsonville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hudsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hudsonville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hudsonville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••