Little Tikes to sell Hudson complex

Little Tikes to sell Hudson complex

There are 37 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Little Tikes to sell Hudson complex. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The 122 acres and seven buildings in Hudson currently owned by Little Tikes are up for sale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Akron, OH

#22 Jan 20, 2008
Their large, roto-molded outdoor products are made in Hudson but may contain some small parts that are made elsewhere including Erie PA, China, and Mexico. They won't be made in China because of shipping rates. Most of the small, injection-molded toys on the shelves at Wal-Mart (the devil), Target, etc. are made in China.

Little Tikes has a very good quality control group that ensures that the products are safe, including the ones coming from China.

I'm not surprised that they want to sell the place; it's way too much space for them now. I hope they can find another location nearby.
Feel Ya

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Jan 20, 2008
Mold Builder wrote:
I work for a Company that did alot of work for Rubbermaid in the 80's and 90's and Unfortunatly Rubbermaid got caught up in the Wal-Mart killing U.S business tactics. Let's say you went to Walmart to buy a Plastic Tote and it was $15.00 this year. Next year Walmart would go back to Rubbermaid and tell them we want to sell that Tote for $12.00 next year. They just keep coming back year after year wanting more off the product taking the bottomline profit out of companies. Your first year sales sky rocket so you tool up for the next year and find out if you do not agree to the price cut you will no longer be a vendor for Walmart. Don't get me wrong Rubbermaid, Hoover ECT... had this coming to them. Numerous times they would give a Chinese Mold maker the job because they were much lower in cost. It is sickening to see out CEO and Presidents of Big companies selling out the American People.
Unfortunately that is part and parcel...what has destroyed the American economy and Middle Class for the past generation or so.
little tikes family

United States

#24 Jan 20, 2008
Little tikes has been our family income for quite some time . My husband and other employees have stuck it out through some rough times.The extremely uneducated comment from our college friend was totally prejudice. To say that just because the people he knew were like this meant that everyone that was and is employed was the same way is truly sad. Alot of people who were or are employed at little tikes are trying to support their families. And are truly hard workers.To have such a shallow attitude I give my sympathy.The only thing ever wrong with little tikes in my opinion is they made things a little to well. You could usually get the items at garage sales etc.. and then still pass them down to others.And then we have Wal Mart!!!!
OMG

Akron, OH

#25 Jan 20, 2008
little tikes family wrote:
Little tikes has been our family income for quite some time . My husband and other employees have stuck it out through some rough times.The extremely uneducated comment from our college friend was totally prejudice. To say that just because the people he knew were like this meant that everyone that was and is employed was the same way is truly sad. Alot of people who were or are employed at little tikes are trying to support their families. And are truly hard workers.To have such a shallow attitude I give my sympathy.The only thing ever wrong with little tikes in my opinion is they made things a little to well. You could usually get the items at garage sales etc.. and then still pass them down to others.And then we have Wal Mart!!!!
Amen to Little Tikes quality from Hidson factories. I wonder if their new Chinese junk will be the same quality? What extra chemicals will they put in the plastic goo before forming the products to harm American children?

I HATE THE CHINESE !!!
karen p

Bolivar, OH

#26 Jan 20, 2008
Hey fellows, look at the big picture! No jobs. No food, No bed to sleep in, even the stupid and the ugly need jobs. you people thats got jobs, lookout I hear that sucking sound.
speedy

Avon Lake, OH

#27 Jan 22, 2008
i work at little tikes for 20 years .I was there for the good time when tom owned the place 1987 we even got a 38% chrismas bonus. But then he sold out to rubbermaid and then newell and rubbermaid mergered and it was all down hill from there .In 2004 they tryed to bring the work in from wooster and tried injection molding
. That was the beginning of the end .Got out about 3 years ago found a new job a better job much happier now . Hope all the employee at little tikes will have the same luck I did
LITTLE TIKES

United States

#28 Jan 25, 2008
Brown Dawg wrote:
When I graduated from Falls High in '90 just about every burnout and stoner in school was working at Little Tikes. "Yeah man, I'm makin' 10 bucks an hour. With overtime it's even more, man life is good." That place was like quicksand for people with no skills or education. All those kids who wasted the best years of their life right out of high school making toy kitchens and sandboxes. I drive by that place on occasion and always think about the people I knew back then and thank my lucky stars I went to college and got an education. I'd also think "I can't believe that place is still in business. How can they afford to compete with China and Mexico?" I guess they can't after all.
How do you get a name like Brown Dowg? I bet I know college! Bet they never taught you about a honest days work. People at Little Tikes work very hard for their money, and should never have to read a ignorant opinion from a Brown Dawg!!!!!!!! You can take a bath to get that off.
What

Akron, OH

#29 Jan 26, 2008
Bill Oreally wrote:
Way to go Ted. Let another company get up and walk out of your State. I wonder if it has anything to do with Ohio being one of the highest taxed state? When I last checked we were No.3. Funny how everyone wants to blame Bush for this when Bill Clinton started all of this movement when he was President by signing NAFTA. Short memories you Liberals have. Put Hillary in office and you will see even more jobs leave the U.S.
Yes, the billions and billions of dollars being spent in Iraq is Bills fault also.
Nero

Canton, OH

#30 Jan 26, 2008
GOUGE W BUTCH wrote:
Another local company being shut down due to my ineffectiveness at running this country. Oh well, I don't care.,
Pres Bubba gave us NAFTA and GATT along with Huck Finn Tom Whitewash Sawyer
Bob

Ireland

#31 Feb 8, 2008
I worked for many years in Little Tikes Plant in Ireland and visited the Hudson +Sebring Plants a few times.It is sad to see good hard working people losing their jobs.
I wish them all every good wish for the future.
Bob Teeling
Dublin
Ireland
Gizzerack

Austin, TX

#32 Apr 10, 2008
I worked for Little Tikes for almost 8 years (April1995-March2003). I started in Shippensburgh PA while things were still going strong and left Shippensburgh when they started to remove machines out to other locations. I moved back to Cleveland (Home Town) and worked in Hudson for the rest of the time. While in Hudson the same thing started to happen there. While machines were removed, more work went to China and Mexico and the layoffs began. It's a shame to see so many dedicated people lose their jobs.

Now that I look back and remember my time at Little Tikes, I realize how much I learned there that benefits me now as an operations supervisor here in Austin, Texas. I hope that everybody else is able to use their experience from Little Tikes and move on to better things.
Emma

Cleveland, OH

#33 Apr 10, 2008
Another sad story. I hope the employees are able to find jobs in or out of the state of Ohio.
Ted Strand

Palatine, IL

#35 Jul 23, 2008
Interesting fact finding on LittleTikes. Recently we purchased one of the Classic Water & Sand Play Tables from a friend. While in their use the two legs on the water table side cracked, we knew about this and believed it should be easy enough to purchase two replacement legs from LittleTikes. I called their customer service, and the message said if your item is less than a year old - call #; if older than a year order parts on the web site. Went to the web site, no parts listed, just a new toy accessory pack listed. I called CusSer back, and pushed 1 for items less than a year old. All though the table is still made and sold, AND all parts are available to those with items than a year old - they would not sell me the replacement legs from their parts bin. After a lengthy conversation with "BOB", and no satisfation (even though my concerns were valid) I asked for the Corporate Office and CEO contact information - "Bob{ refused). I asked to talk to a manager; Got Lori Flowers on the phone. She also refused to provide the obvious resolution to my concerns. She also refused to provide me with the Corporate and CEO contact information. I finally was told (now after 45 minutes on the phone) that she would pass my concerns along to her supervisor, and request she send an e-mail to Corporate. I was told I should hear something in 72 hours, however there was no guarantee they would return my call. I did mention that in this economy this was a VERY POOR Corporate policy and process of handling customer concerns...
Mr Mcgintee

Bedford, OH

#36 Jul 23, 2008
Gizzerack wrote:
I worked for Little Tikes for almost 8 years (April1995-March2003). I started in Shippensburgh PA while things were still going strong and left Shippensburgh when they started to remove machines out to other locations. I moved back to Cleveland (Home Town) and worked in Hudson for the rest of the time. While in Hudson the same thing started to happen there. While machines were removed, more work went to China and Mexico and the layoffs began. It's a shame to see so many dedicated people lose their jobs.
Now that I look back and remember my time at Little Tikes, I realize how much I learned there that benefits me now as an operations supervisor here in Austin, Texas. I hope that everybody else is able to use their experience from Little Tikes and move on to better things.
Glad you are doing well. Ohio is a good place to be from!
carita

Paducah, KY

#37 Nov 20, 2008
speedy wrote:
i work at little tikes for 20 years .I was there for the good time when tom owned the place 1987 we even got a 38% chrismas bonus. But then he sold out to rubbermaid and then newell and rubbermaid mergered and it was all down hill from there .In 2004 they tryed to bring the work in from wooster and tried injection molding
. That was the beginning of the end .Got out about 3 years ago found a new job a better job much happier now . Hope all the employee at little tikes will have the same luck I did
i woked there in 1990-1993 like the job
carita

Paducah, KY

#38 Nov 20, 2008
worked at little tikes 1990-1993 liked my job.made good money. then moved back to va.
Michael

Hempstead, NY

#39 Apr 13, 2009
I am trying to do a blog about Little Tikes on my website, www.ProudlyMadeInAmerica.com . If you work, or worked at Little Tikes please visit my site and post in the forum section you experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MAGNA GRACIA Southern Itally====> WAS GREEK (Oct '17) 11 hr Constantine 3
John Whang is here. May 14 Lisa 1
News 2 more UAW locals reject controversial Chrysler... (Oct '07) May 8 John4wjnap 6
Ottoman Empire to flourish again in full glory Apr 20 makedonas from ci... 2
Looking for Lorie (Jun '10) Mar '18 Smiley 27
News Peninsula woman concerned about bobcat plan Mar '18 Reality Speaks 6
Stow High shooting in 1972 (Oct '12) Mar '18 MichaelJ 32

Hudson Jobs

Personal Finance

Hudson Mortgages