Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora

Jan 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Recordpub.com

About 120 members of United Steelworkers Local 8565 employed at Rotek Inc. went on strike Friday, January 18, according to a company spokesperson.

Comments
2,621 - 2,640 of 4,655 Comments Last updated Thursday Aug 21
confirmation

Cleveland, OH

#2685 Apr 27, 2013
Truth is a joke wrote:
Like I said. Truth is a Union paid propaganda machine. Think for yourselves. Don't put your fate and your future into the hands of 5 bullies. Truth is paid by the Union to spread his pro union views. Let others express their views on this thread and quit filling up the screen with your canned propaganda.
Nobody is paying anybody. The Union didn't and wouldn't "bully" anyone. You must be management. The only "bullies" are in management.
truth

Florence, KY

#2686 Apr 27, 2013
Truth is a joke ....is management
Ass Pirates say GARRR

Latonia, KY

#2687 Apr 28, 2013
Let me butt in again. I think you are getting a little bit anal with all these posts Gaaaarrrrrrr. Dont you agree? Ive only posted twice, so it a-nus doing all this crap. No one even reads this sh!t you write Gaaaarrrrrrr. Seriously though, has your balloon knot gotten any better? I hope so, i mean that from the bottom of my bowels. The very bottom. Gaaaarrrrrrr
bottom feeder

Westerville, OH

#2688 Apr 28, 2013
Ass Pirates say GARRR wrote:
Let me butt in again. I think you are getting a little bit anal with all these posts Gaaaarrrrrrr. Dont you agree? Ive only posted twice, so it a-nus doing all this crap. No one even reads this sh!t you write Gaaaarrrrrrr. Seriously though, has your balloon knot gotten any better? I hope so, i mean that from the bottom of my bowels. The very bottom. Gaaaarrrrrrr
Sham wow! Glad you've only done 2 post. Hope its your last post!
truth

Florence, KY

#2689 Apr 29, 2013
36 reasons why you should thank a union

1.Weekends without work

2.All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks

3.Paid vacation

4.Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

5.Sick leave

6.Social Security

7.Minimum wage

8.Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination

9.8-hour work day

10.Overtime pay

11.Child labor laws

12.Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)

13.40-hour work week

14.Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)

15.Unemployment insurance

16.Pensions

17.Workplace safety standards and regulations

18.Employer health care insurance

19.Collective bargaining rights for employees

20.Wrongful termination laws

21.Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)

22.Whistleblower protection laws

23.Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)- prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee

24.Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)

25.Com pensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)

26.Sexual harassment laws

27.Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)

28.Holiday pay

29.Employer dental, life, and vision insurance

30.Privacy rights

31.Pregnancy and parental leave

32.Military leave

33.The right to strike

34.Public education for children

35.Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work

36.Laws ending sweatshops in the United States
truth

Florence, KY

#2690 Apr 29, 2013
Benefits of Union Membership

What is a union?

A union is a group of workers who come together to win respect on the job, better wages and benefits, more flexibility for work and family needs and a voice in improving the quality of their services. The basic idea of a union is that by joining together with co-workers to form a union, employees have a better ability, through their strength in numbers, to improve conditions at the workplace. In other words, "In unity there is strength."

The primary purpose of the union is to represent workers in their employment and to negotiate a contract that improves wages, benefits and working conditions and protects workers from unfair treatment. The basis of the contract negotiated with the employer is determined by the workers affected by the proposed contract. After the contract is negotiated, it can only take effect if it is voted on and ratified on by the members. Union members nominate and elect Union Officers (from among the body of their local union) to represent their interests. Any member who meets the qualifications for office may be nominated and elected to office within a local union.
truth

Florence, KY

#2691 Apr 29, 2013
Why join a union?

As a worker, you have a right under federal law to form a union, select representatives of your choice and bargain collectively with your employer. This helps balance the power that an employer has over his individual employees. Belonging to a union gives you rights under law that you do not have as an individual, like a say in your job, safety and security. Once you have formed a union, your employer must bargain with the union.

* Your wages and compensation are spelled out in the contract and not SECRET- privately negotiated by management.

* Dignity, rights and respect must be given at all times and not arbitrarily. In this way unions also help remedy discrimination because union contracts ensure that all workers are treated fairly and equally.

* Policies remain consistent instead of ever changing.

* In cases of discipline and dismissal, the union will defend you with legal assistance and a grievance process. As opposed to being an ‘At Will” employee, out on your own.

* You have a voice in the political arena and can work for laws protecting employees and their families. Employers try to take away and weaken laws such as Health and Safety, Overtime, etc…
truth

Florence, KY

#2692 Apr 29, 2013
Well, It May Be Time To Face The Fact That We Need Labor Unions...

But we've now developed a bigger problem in this country.

Namely, we've developed inequality so extreme that it is worse than any time since the late 1920s (just before the Great Depression).

Leaving aside fairness, what this inequality does is hurt the main purchasing-power engine of the US economy--the strong middle class.

(Although the 1% likes to think of itself as investing the capital and "creating the jobs" that employ the rest of the country, this is a consensual hallucination. Jobs in this economy only exist because there are customers who can afford to buy the products. And customers can't buy products if they don't have any money. See: Finally, A Rich American Destroys The Fiction The Rich People Create Jobs)

So, for the sake of the economy, we have to fix this inequality problem.

And although correlation is not causation, the chart below suggests that labor unions might be able to help with that, at least in some industries.
Slackin off Garr

Latonia, KY

#2693 Apr 29, 2013
It's been 9 hours without a post from truth. If he doesn't get more bullshit propaganda up really quick, i might change my vote. See, I'm just a follower and can't think for myself or do any research on my own. If i dont get my daily regurgitated quote or hourly statistic, i begin to doubt myself. Please oh please truth, get back soon with your one side rhetoric. I don't know what to do. Tell me more.... I like the one about Bullies and Intimidation
bottom feeder

Westerville, OH

#2694 Apr 29, 2013
Slackin off Garr wrote:
It's been 9 hours without a post from truth. If he doesn't get more bullshit propaganda up really quick, i might change my vote. See, I'm just a follower and can't think for myself or do any research on my own. If i dont get my daily regurgitated quote or hourly statistic, i begin to doubt myself. Please oh please truth, get back soon with your one side rhetoric. I don't know what to do. Tell me more.... I like the one about Bullies and Intimidation
Where's the beef!
Billy Hill

West Palm Beach, FL

#2695 Apr 29, 2013
florence just sucks. wouldnt know a good thing if it hit them in the nuts
grant county mafia

Covington, KY

#2696 Apr 30, 2013
Billy Hill wrote:
florence just sucks. wouldnt know a good thing if it hit them in the nuts
Billy boy. The failed union drive is over. Most of us have moved on.
truth

Florence, KY

#2697 Apr 30, 2013
What is a labor union?

A labor union is an organization of workers joined to protect their common interests and improve their working conditions. Some of the largest and/or most prominent unions in the U.S. include the United Auto Workers, Service Employees International Union, International Brotherhood of Teamsters and the United Steelworkers. The AFL-CIO and Change to Win are federations, large umbrella organizations of unions which have banded together to share resources and promote common political and organizing goals.
truth

Florence, KY

#2698 Apr 30, 2013
What are the benefits of being a member of a union?

As a member of a union, you receive all the benefits achieved by the union in negotiating employment benefits with your employer. When your union negotiates payment and benefits on behalf of many employees, you are part of a much larger group that generally has much greater bargaining power in dealing with employers. The wages of union members are, on average, 30% higher than those of workers who do not have union representation; 78% of union workers have job-related health coverage, while only 49% of non-union workers do; and 67% of union workers have a guaranteed, defined-benefit pension, compared to only 15% of non-union workers. In addition, unions often lobby for legislation and political candidates that are more favorable to employees.
truth

Florence, KY

#2699 Apr 30, 2013
How does a union get started in the workplace?

To form a union, a group of workers must either:

have the employer voluntarily recognize them as a union; or

have a majority of workers in a bargaining unit vote for union representation.

In either case, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) must then certify the newly formed union.

Once the union is certified, the employer is legally required to bargain in good faith with the union. The employer must come to the bargaining table with an open mind and a sincere desire to discuss the issues. Both parties must try to reach a settlement through negotiations, and when agreement is reached, they must sign a written contract, known as a collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
truth

Florence, KY

#2700 Apr 30, 2013
What is a bargaining unit?

A bargaining unit is a group of employees that perform similar work and usually share a work area. Generally employees in a bargaining unit have similar interests and concerns when it comes to working conditions - like pay, hours of work and conditions of the workplace. A bargaining unit may also be a group of similar workers that work in different places in different shops, but do the same work. Often a bargaining unit will make up an entire union, but it is also not uncommon for a bargaining unit to be a slice of a bigger union.
truth

Florence, KY

#2701 Apr 30, 2013
Can my employer terminate me without a good reason?

Yes. In fact, most employees in the United States are at-will employees, even though most employees are unaware of this situation. In most states, the law presumes that private sector employees are employed "at-will." The employment-at-will doctrine provides that both the employer and the employee can end the employment relationship at any time without notice or reason. This means the employer has the right to terminate your employment at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all or for a bad reason, so long as the reason is not illegal - even if you performance has been outstanding. The other side of the "at-will" coin is that you, as an employee, can quit your job for any reason at any time. You cannot be forced to work for an employer. You don't have to give your employer a reason for quitting.
truth

Florence, KY

#2702 Apr 30, 2013
Are there any exceptions to the employment-at-will doctrine?

Yes, there are several exceptions. You are not an at-will employee if you have a contract, such as a union contract. When an employee is covered under an employment contract, you can only be terminated as the contract permits. If the employer does not follow the contract in terminating or disciplining you, you may have a breach of contract claim.

A handbook or personnel code may also be a contract. However, if there is a disclaimer in your handbook, it may not be a contract. State laws vary in evaluating whether a handbook is a contract. You should consult your own state's law to determine if your state considers handbooks to be contracts between employers and employees.

All federal employees are protected from any termination that violates the United States Constitution or the constitution of the state in which they work. For example, an employee's rights to freedom of speech, association, religion, or freedom from unlawful search and seizure may be at issue when an employee is terminated. For more information about Federal Employees rights, check out Federal Employees Legal Survival Guide under the publications link on this page.

An employee may not be terminated for an illegal reason such as their race, sex, age, religion, nationality, or disability. If you believe you were terminated because of such a reason, please see our section on discrimination for additional information on the different types of illegal discrimination and on filing a discrimination claim.
truth

Florence, KY

#2703 Apr 30, 2013
Which federal laws govern unions?

There are many laws and court decisions that govern unions, a few of which will be discussed below. The main source of law regarding unions is federal law, as most unions are national organizations. The most important federal laws governing unions include the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the Labor Management Relations Act (also known as the Taft-Hartley Act), and the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act
truth

Florence, KY

#2704 Apr 30, 2013
What is the National Labor Relations Act?

Labor unions officially obtained the right to represent employees under the law when the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) was passed in 1935.

The NLRA covers employees who work for employers involved in interstate commerce. The term interstate commerce has been interpreted broadly over the years and basically includes any employer whose business involves more than one state. Today, this number stands at 16.1 million employees who are union members.

When the NLRA was passed by Congress, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) was also created. The function of the NLRB is to police the relationships between employees, their unions and their employers and ensure the NLRA is enforced.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 53 min woo-boy 30,529
Shawn Porter draws with Julio Diaz (Dec '12) Aug 26 Steve 8
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Aug 18 Petal Power 707
Jake.T.Austin is hot (Jun '07) Aug 18 davina 1,749
Looking for Mary J. Green Aug 18 BlueFireFox 1
Five teens run amok in neighborhood with spray ... Aug 8 Princess Taz of G... 1
•••
•••

Hudson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hudson People Search