#1 Nov 5, 2009
So far, I see:

Step Right Up
Cali-Juice
Uniquely Ohio
Huggy's Fine Chocolate and Nuts
Fundamentals Creative Toys
The Shoe Gallery

I'm willing to bet current merchants are on life support!
Bigdc

Ashtabula, OH

#2 Nov 10, 2009
Do you think that has to do with Hudson, or the economy in general? What about businesses that have opened recently? Barley and Bitters, Janet Rhodes Fair Trade, any others?
Another Hudson Resident

AOL

#3 Nov 14, 2009
It looks like it has more to do with people who start stupid businesses and do no actual market research. Looking at the list above there is no reason for a resident to shop at any of thoise types of stores. I am all for local business (and want to keep Hudson quaint, not turn into some new Stow or Streetsboro)...but the fact is...outsiders come in here thinking everyone has more money than sense to spend on pointless trinkets, andit isn't the case. Even as a tourist these places are not business where people would spend much money. A new store is basing its whole being around different flavors of POPCORN...c'mon! There are many restaurants, yet they are one extreme to another (either gross fast food, or overpriced restaurants in the typical Ohio style that think if you charge too much people will overlook the awful quality and lack of customer service). REAL business people would realize if they start a business that sells products or services people ALWAYS need (and go to other towns for)...AND charge competitive prices (there is nothing that makes me boycott a store than a business that gives the "Hudson price increase"...then they could do a great business. There is no reason why we can't keep the historic AND residential areas QUAINT and put REAL businesses in the ALREADY industrial areas like near Jo_ann and the empty business park acrooss from the mega church. You don't have to WRECK our town (and if you DO...you will NOT be able to keep people here withe these taxes if you turn it into a Stow or Streetsboro) to succeed. ENOUGH with the pointless (not even souvenir) trinket shops, insanely priced niche clothing, fast food and incompetent restaurants that try to be high end yet embarrassingly not. Think like a CONSUMER for once and have the creativity to keep hudson HISTORIC HUDSON and put the businesses in the outlying city limits (GASP...maybe Stow and Streetboro people would shop HERE then)!
LessonLearned

AOL

#4 Nov 14, 2009
People don't get or stay wealthy by spending foolishly, so don't look at the residents of ANY town as potential moneybags for dumb businesses. Those who charge residents in an upscale area MORE will lose business every time..people are not stupid.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#5 Dec 3, 2009
It seems to me everyone is pointing their fingers at Government (Local, County, Federal) to solve these businesses from closing. I thought the "free market" was supposed to decide who thrives and who dies?

I agree with Another Hudson Resident completely!
Hudsonian

Brunswick, OH

#6 Dec 9, 2009
Unfortunately, any Summit County sit-down restaurant that is more than slightly exotic is derided as being "too spicy." Marcelitas is bland as baby food. The other Mexican restaurant in Hudson is more of a tequila bar than a restaurant. Tomato Grill has good food, but Italian food is hardly exotic. Aladdin's doesn't offer any of the more exotic Middle Eastern fare.
So it's either steak, expensive steak, really expensive steak, or burgers.
Hudsonian

Brunswick, OH

#7 Dec 20, 2009
There is another exception to the "exotic food" ban in Hudson... Pad Thai. But you have to make a point of asking for "Thai Spicy." Then the server looks at you like you're some crazy round-eyes that doesn't know what Thai Spicy means. I guess they're too used to the typical NE Ohioan threatening to sue them because the food woke up their sleeping taste buds.
Hudsoness

Brunswick, OH

#8 Dec 20, 2009
Let's look at some of the other stores that have failed or are about to fail in Hudson. Flavored popcorn? "Antique" stores that carry either expensive bath vanities or chachi-type clutter? Expensive yarn stores? Another hair salon / wine bar? "Come to the Hudson Mile of Hair Salons!!" What we need are stores that import hard-to-find and unique items from around the world, and that don't try to make up for high rent by charging a 1000% markup on the items. First and Main doesn't have anything that is unique enough to draw people from across Summit and Cuyahoga counties. Case in point... when F&M was being planned, we were close to having a Miss Molly's Tea Room, but the restrictions on operating hours kept it from happening. We almost had a Trader Joe's on Norton, but Hudson residents didn't want to lose the "charm" of undeveloped land. So now we have the "charm" of higher property taxes because we don't have enough sales tax revenue. We don't want to have a - shudder - BAR opening at the long-vacant Waters restaurant, so it's better to have a weed-infested parking lot next to a deteriorating, vacant building.
justmy2cnts

Seville, OH

#9 Dec 30, 2009
Interesting topic. As someone who worked in Hudson for 4 years but doesn't live in Hudson, it's interesting to hear the view points of the Hudson residents. I love coming to Hudson now and then to shop. It's a fun little town. I have to admit though, I like the charming little shops that you are talking negetively about. I've shopped at Uniquely Ohio and love it. Heather's heat and flavor is another one of my favorite shops and I have recently gone out of my way to drive half an hour to your town to buy a Christmas present from there for one of my friends. I'm an artist who collects antique postcards for some of my altered art projects and I love the Antique shop (by the pizza place). My son loves Aladdins eatery and we always buy him a gift card. Guess what? He spends it at the Hudson location because he loves it there. I love Miss Chick Peas Funky fibers store. I always get a cup of coffee at Caribou while I'm visiting Hudson, and do a little grocery shopping at Heinens (their customer service beats anyones!). I don't have disposable income (in fact I'm recently unemployed) but if I want to shop in a different atmosphere other than shopping at the typical strip malls, target, walmart....I love coming to Hudson. Just an opinion from someone who does not live there.
Show Me The Money

AOL

#10 Dec 30, 2009
Browsers don't count, shoppers do.
justmy2cnts

Seville, OH

#11 Jan 4, 2010
Show Me The Money wrote:
Browsers don't count, shoppers do.
----------
Which post were your referring to? I shop there as stated in my previous post.
Hudson Middle Class

Strongsville, OH

#12 Mar 31, 2010
I'm a middle class resident of Hudson and I agree that while downtown is quaint, I find myself driving to Streetsboro all the time to shop at Target, Lowe's and WalMart. I would hope that the city would wake up and understand that in this economy it is becoming more and more difficult for the residents to pay the high taxes to sustain the city. We need to attract some larger businesses who can help offset costs. I have children in the Hudson school system and it is virtually the only thing that keeps me here. However, there are other cities out there with better housing prices, lower taxes, more city funded amenities and similar school ratings. I know several families who have moved out of Hudson because it's just too expensive to live here. I wonder what the vacant housing rate is in Hudson? I'd hate to see the city become a ghost-town.
AnotherHudsonRes ident

AOL

#13 Apr 2, 2010
When I wrote about the restaurants in "Ohio style," Vue was the first I had in mind. As we now see...Gone as expected. When will the city start paying attention to the sentiments below (remebering to keep the residential & quaint areas quaint in the process for the premium we pay to live here)? I'll go elsewhere in a second if not.

----------
"It looks like it has more to do with people who start stupid businesses and do no actual market research. Looking at the list above there is no reason for a resident to shop at any of thoise types of stores. I am all for local business (and want to keep Hudson quaint, not turn into some new Stow or Streetsboro)...but the fact is...outsiders come in here thinking everyone has more money than sense to spend on pointless trinkets, andit isn't the case. Even as a tourist these places are not business where people would spend much money. A new store is basing its whole being around different flavors of POPCORN...c'mon! There are many restaurants, yet they are one extreme to another (either gross fast food, or overpriced restaurants in the typical Ohio style that think if you charge too much people will overlook the awful quality and lack of customer service). REAL business people would realize if they start a business that sells products or services people ALWAYS need (and go to other towns for)...AND charge competitive prices (there is nothing that makes me boycott a store than a business that gives the "Hudson price increase"...then they could do a great business. There is no reason why we can't keep the historic AND residential areas QUAINT and put REAL businesses in the ALREADY industrial areas like near Jo_ann and the empty business park acrooss from the mega church. You don't have to WRECK our town (and if you DO...you will NOT be able to keep people here withe these taxes if you turn it into a Stow or Streetsboro) to succeed. ENOUGH with the pointless (not even souvenir) trinket shops, insanely priced niche clothing, fast food and incompetent restaurants that try to be high end yet embarrassingly not. Think like a CONSUMER for once and have the creativity to keep hudson HISTORIC HUDSON and put the businesses in the outlying city limits (GASP...maybe Stow and Streetboro people would shop HERE then)! "
AnotherHudsonRes ident

AOL

#14 Apr 2, 2010
Hudsoness...it makes me sick to think we could have had a Trader Joe's and lost out on that. This city must be run by idiots. Again, there is a way to keep the town quaint, and build up REAL business in the Jo-Ann area or vast empty Hudson Crossing or whatever that industrial park ready place is next to rt 8.

Location hidden

#15 Apr 2, 2010
The VUE closed because the menu was bland. Small portions and mediocre service nailed this coffin shut. I don't think it's the city's fault for a failing restaurant.

With the amount of vacancies available in the city, I'd say knock down the empty buildings and turn the lots into park land. We'll never see occupants in these business parks, the city is simply too stubborn to draw any real business in the city.
Lovin Hudson

Twinsburg, OH

#16 Apr 6, 2010
Small businesses come and go. Always have, always will. I live and work in Hudson. When F&M was built I remember each business had to sign a 5 yr lease (at least that's what I heard). I stated then that in 5 yrs you will see major changes. It has been 5 yrs. Thank goodness people are willing to try different things, like popcorn. Keeps it interesting. I, too, shop all the time at the big box stores in Streetsboro, Macedonia, Stow and Chapel Hill. But I also spend time and money in Downtown Hudson. As a side note, to the person that goes on about our palets here in NE Ohio, you remind me of the Seinfeld episode where he "counsels" the restaurant owner on the type of food he should serve, only to see his ideas fail. In the end, a good resaurant serves good food, with variety, for value to the LOCAL people. What is that? How would I know!
UhDuh

AOL

#17 Apr 8, 2010
"Lovin Hudson" funny how your post actually MAKES several of the points of the majority here that you contradict. Yeah, popcorn will save the conomy...gret profit margin there. lol.

Sadly, those on city Kool-Aid can PRETENDING nothing is wrong won't change that obvious.

Once people see past the facade, they leave in droves.

Do a real estate search on the zip code, sorted by days on the market. Yesterday alone there were pages upon pages of houses newly for sale. Usually only one or two. Pathetic....and if they trun it into a Stow or Streetsboro in the NON-industrial area, there will NO reason for anyone to stay at a premium compared to the surrounding areas.

The mayor wants "regionalism"? You got it buddy. I skip the stupid pointless retail in Hudson and go to the surrounding communities.

Trader Joe's, Costco, Kohls...types of business that would be PHENOMINAL here and there is plenty of space for it already craved out across from the mega church or over by Terex/Jo-ann area. And for goodness sakes get business that actually TRY the please customers and UPDATE unlike businesses like Acme that seem to think they can skate by with the minimum because they are "local". The options for groceries are a dirty store with selection only a geratric would want, or a MINI version of Heinen's that would never be utilized for a resident's main grocery shopping.
reality check

Akron, OH

#18 Apr 19, 2010
Welcome to the "Twilight Zone"
You would think that people here would get the fact that this town is loosing mega bucks without some good stores to shop at. Do you's realizehow much sales tax Hudson residents are giving to other cities? Are you aware how much payroll tax we do not collect because we have few thriving businesses? First and main is boring! Do you honestly think anyone really wants to shop here?
to the party who despises antique shops and expensive yarn shops, ah, thats what a lot of towns have and are doing just fine! shops don't come and go like here. I recently read where they want to attract visitors to hudson. ah, hello, we don't have that much to offer!I take my visitors out to other areas, not our town. WE need those cutsie shops here mixed in with the others.I come to shop for candles and yarn, I stop for lunch in town. If I go out of Hudson to shop, I also eat outside of Hudson.
If you want to keep the money in Hudson, You gotta offer the products that we need/want to keep us shopping in our city and make it interesting for other cities residents to shop here as well.
wake up! You are not in Camelot! The twilight Zone would be more like it!!
got to go shopping now,perhaps I'll meet up with you in stow, streetsboro, macedonia, or cuyahoga fall..........
Another Hudson Resident

AOL

#19 May 3, 2010
Another empty storefront:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6412SR2...

"Movie Gallery to close ALL Remaining US Stores"

Do people still rent videos anyway? Saw this one coming.

Location hidden

#20 May 5, 2010
Another Hudson Resident:

I haven't rented in years! Another empty storefront.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora (Jan '13) May 4 Union brotherhood 4,989
blank scripts Apr 27 Fred 2
Ronald James Delphia Apr 12 Observer 1
News Getting a lift: Elevators on the rise in centra... Apr '15 They cannot kill ... 11
Review: R.B. Thomas Electric Co., Inc. Mar '15 J Varga 1
News Ohio.com - Patel murder trials get started (Oct '07) Mar '15 Helen8809 10
Shaker Day Camp (Jun '09) Feb '15 spisc1955 31
More from around the web

Hudson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]