New school is great opportunity

Full story: Lowell Sun 27
Dear members of the Tewksbury community, Massachusetts school districts submitted 400 applications to the Massachusetts School Building Authority for consideration for selection as a participant in the Model Schools Program. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FakedOut

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Feb 26, 2010
Just like always with Dr McGrath, Blah Blah Blah alot said but nothing of any substance.
That's what graduate school teaches, never be pinned down to a stated commitment.
An Informed Parent

Lowell, MA

#2 Feb 26, 2010
FakedOut wrote:
Just like always with Dr McGrath, Blah Blah Blah alot said but nothing of any substance.
That's what graduate school teaches, never be pinned down to a stated commitment.
whats the matter??? you just jealous that you never had or will ever have enough intelligence to go to graduate school??
Vote NO

Tewksbury, MA

#3 Feb 27, 2010
Why the attacks on this subject, we all are entitled to our opinions.
We are voting no till they get their acts together.
Just say no

Wilmington, MA

#4 Feb 27, 2010
There are many people on these blogs who will sink to any level to try to "scare" and "intimidate" the taxpayers into voting for this school. If you are opposed to this - DO NOT SINK TO THEIR LEVELS for we are better than that. We are realists in a world of the dreamers.

Whatever you choose - be proud and stand up for your decision.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#5 Feb 27, 2010
If you're from Tewksbury and can vote, may I suggest you ignore posters from other places?
The Wimington, MA poster works there
(if you can call it working since she is posting here)
and lives in Lowell, normally using a much more "Demonic" name.
I know some of you are really from Tewksbury, but mostly, we are getting opinions that aren't relevant to our vote.
Scary Tactics

Tewksbury, MA

#6 Mar 1, 2010
This is a chapter in Tewksbury Politics that is a page from Bush Chaney Play Book, get the parents scared, home owners panic over their home values so you can get the votes you want.
We can all use new things, we can all find arguments why new things are better, this economy is a testament of what happened when people over spend and pay for things they cannot afford. People are struggling to make a living and foreclosure is on the increase. Overspending our way to new high school is a BIG mistake, First there is no guarantee that it will come within budget, second having a shinny school with same teachers and same lack of accountability is guarantee of same results. Ask yourself, how did we get here in first place? Why Wilmington H.S kept it accreditation when it was built around same time? People, please vote NO, I can hardly make my Tax Payment now, I cannot afford another increase and don't trust our Town Hall to manage this project on time and on budget.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#7 Mar 1, 2010
I read somewhere that Hudson already has a school just like it, and it worked out great.
If you vote no, down the line you'll be paying triple.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#8 Mar 1, 2010
Catmomdu wrote:
I read somewhere that Hudson already has a school just like it, and it worked out great.
Hudson's per pupil expenditures are $1,400 higher than Tewksbury's. The tax rate is $13.02 vs.$11.35 for Tewksbury. That's 14.7% higher. If you get the new school, brace yourself.
Just say no

Wilmington, MA

#9 Mar 1, 2010
Has anyone from mour town sat down with this group offerring us the money to discuss the financial impact on the residents? Certainly they must have some compassion and can work with us rather than holding a gun to our heads - don't they earn interest if the money is invested until the town is more financially sound? If it sounds too good to be true it usually is - and I can't help but think we are being blackmailed even by the those that hold the purse strings.

Have any of the school supporters statistically determined how many families will be adversely affected by this? How many residents are already behind on their taxes? Who's not paying their water bills? How many families will lose their homes to foreclosure if this goes through? Why would anyone in their right mind want to add to an already bad situation? Someone needs to look after the kids who are being pushed out of town because of other peoples' need/greed for more for their children. We all WANT more and better but sometimes it just can't be done. If you want the Hudson school - go to Hudson.

And Cat - just because it doesn't SAY we're from Tewkdbury on our posts doesn't mean we'renot FROM Tewksbury.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Mar 1, 2010
Just say no wrote:
Have any of the school supporters statistically determined how many families will be adversely affected by this? How many residents are already behind on their taxes? Who's not paying their water bills? How many families will lose their homes to foreclosure if this goes through? Why would anyone in their right mind want to add to an already bad situation?
The supporters fall into two categories. The first category doesn't care about people in town that are under pressure. The second category thinks everyone can afford whatever they can, they just aren't thinking about the less fortunate in town.
zeeman

Boston, MA

#11 Mar 1, 2010
Scary Tactics wrote:
This is a chapter in Tewksbury Politics that is a page from Bush Chaney Play Book, get the parents scared, home owners panic over their home values so you can get the votes you want.
We can all use new things, we can all find arguments why new things are better, this economy is a testament of what happened when people over spend and pay for things they cannot afford. People are struggling to make a living and foreclosure is on the increase. Overspending our way to new high school is a BIG mistake, First there is no guarantee that it will come within budget, second having a shinny school with same teachers and same lack of accountability is guarantee of same results. Ask yourself, how did we get here in first place? Why Wilmington H.S kept it accreditation when it was built around same time? People, please vote NO, I can hardly make my Tax Payment now, I cannot afford another increase and don't trust our Town Hall to manage this project on time and on budget.
I hear you brother!!
You have it right!
Just say no

Wilmington, MA

#12 Mar 1, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The supporters fall into two categories. The first category doesn't care about people in town that are under pressure. The second category thinks everyone can afford whatever they can, they just aren't thinking about the less fortunate in town.
I guess that concerns me. If it's for "the kids", shouldn't it be for ALL the kids - not just the more fortunate? I know we need it but my family cannot afford to take away from our child's immediate needs so we have no choice but to vote no.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#13 Mar 1, 2010
Just say no wrote:
Has anyone from mour town sat down with this group offerring us the money to discuss the financial impact on the residents? Certainly they must have some compassion and can work with us rather than holding a gun to our heads - don't they earn interest if the money is invested until the town is more financially sound? If it sounds too good to be true it usually is - and I can't help but think we are being blackmailed even by the those that hold the purse strings.
Have any of the school supporters statistically determined how many families will be adversely affected by this? How many residents are already behind on their taxes? Who's not paying their water bills? How many families will lose their homes to foreclosure if this goes through? Why would anyone in their right mind want to add to an already bad situation? Someone needs to look after the kids who are being pushed out of town because of other peoples' need/greed for more for their children. We all WANT more and better but sometimes it just can't be done. If you want the Hudson school - go to Hudson.
And Cat - just because it doesn't SAY we're from Tewkdbury on our posts doesn't mean we'renot FROM Tewksbury.
I apologize if you're really "from Tewksbury".
Up to now, the only person I've seen on these threads with Wilmington isp is a poster calling herself "Demon Seed".
You know what I will vote. Before you vote no, please keep in mind that our bills will be even higher the more that parents feel they have to send their kids to Shawsheen tech in order for them to get a good education.
From what I read somewhere it's another $350 k at the moment we still owe them.
abc

Boston, MA

#14 Mar 1, 2010
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#15 Mar 1, 2010
Catmomdu wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize if you're really "from Tewksbury".
Up to now, the only person I've seen on these threads with Wilmington isp is a poster calling herself "Demon Seed".
You know what I will vote. Before you vote no, please keep in mind that our bills will be even higher the more that parents feel they have to send their kids to Shawsheen tech in order for them to get a good education.
From what I read somewhere it's another $350 k at the moment we still owe them.
A new building never taught anyone anything. It's true.
Tewksbury Citizen

Boston, MA

#16 Mar 1, 2010
Just an FYI re. more worthwhile info:

http://tewksburyissues.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.p...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Mar 1, 2010
Tewksbury Citizen wrote:
Just an FYI re. more worthwhile info:
http://tewksburyissues.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.p...
Very one sided. Only worthwhile if you are a supporter. It's not much more that a pep rally.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#18 Mar 1, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
A new building never taught anyone anything. It's true.
You're right, of course. I have neighbors barely squeaking by financially.
They're asking us to vote for this.
So we will.
I could not look any child in this town in the eyes if I said no.
Tewksbury Citizen

Boston, MA

#19 Mar 1, 2010
Well it WAS put out by the HSBC committee but if you click on the links it at least gives more info re. a breakdown of costs etc. Just thought it might be helpful to some. Will remain to be seen how it all plays out both tonight at STM and Sat. at the ballot.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#20 Mar 1, 2010
Tewksbury Citizen wrote:
Well it WAS put out by the HSBC committee but if you click on the links it at least gives more info re. a breakdown of costs etc. Just thought it might be helpful to some. Will remain to be seen how it all plays out both tonight at STM and Sat. at the ballot.
Let's get by STM tonight first.
See you there!
<^..^>
I'd had a lot of questions and some concerns, but the more I dig around the more impressed I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs 21 hr Tammy 37
Sudbury Chiropractor, Dr. Jennifer Lees Offers ... (Sep '11) Oct 12 Chiropractor From... 11
Credit union launches mobile deposit system - S... (May '10) Oct 8 hubertfields00 5
Water Bill Sep 26 Resident007 1
Debate: Health Care - Northborough, MA Sep '14 Spc Brian Arsenault 1
Rotarians host another spirited food and brewfe... Aug '14 Jerry 2
Editorial: Lawmakers still at it Aug '14 reality is a crutch 1

Hudson News Video

Hudson Dating
Find my Match

Hudson Jobs

Hudson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hudson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hudson