Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance

Jul 17, 2012 Full story: KWQC-TV Davenport 475

An Evansdale resident told The Des Moines Register Tuesday morning that he saw Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey ride their bikes past his house Friday afternoon.

Full Story
Kay

Springfield, VA

#23 Jul 18, 2012
curiosity wrote:
I agree with the wide gap in time of the man seeing them between 12 and 3 , it seems as if he would be able to give a better time scale I mean did he spend 3 hours watering his lawn? Also, I wonder if anyone else on that street or the streets between their house and this witness' house might have also seen something I mean maybe the police should go back through the neighborhood and confirm that anyone that lived on those streets were not home or could not have been able to see something as I am sure he was not the only person to be outside also wondering if there are any business in the area that have surveyllance video that could be viewed to see if the girls actually rode in that direction any outside video might be helpful ya know
Who doesn't know when they watered their lawn in a tighter frame of time than 3 hours ?
First, it's hot/drought, so what neighbor wouldn't notice that someone was using water at noon ? your eyes get drawn to water on a hot day at noon !
2nd, when you're inside your house, you can hear your water run if you're watering the lawn.
3rd, unless you have an irrigation system running underground & automatized, you'd be running in & out moving it so all of the lawn is watered & timing the watering for each section.
So, I don't find him reliable.
I think the bikes being found where they are is either a red-herring, to divert from where they were really taken from, or they were met up with at this "bad spot" (which the dad pointed out is like a trap, kids couldn't extricate themselves from a bad situation with someone meaning them harm), & they were lured away & dragged off or taken then.
Girls love their purses, & wouldn't willingly leave one behind with a cell phone w/games on it. If they got into trouble & were able to identify it as "trouble", had presence of mind to get the phone out, they could dial 911. But that's expecting a lot of children their ages. Adults would place bikes against a fence; one of the bikes didn't have a kickstand, & I know as kids we used to lay ones like that on the ground so that's a "concerning" detail to me. I wonder if it's a "Phil & Nancy Garrido" kind of abduction ? Tasers ? jmho
Kay

Springfield, VA

#24 Jul 18, 2012
The person who seems reliable is the regular bikerider who had to 'swerve' to avoid the girls' bikes. If I were law enforcement, I'd use that as a marker on my timeline. This means that the girls left the home at 11:30am, rode to the Big & Tall alley, then by 12:30pm or so, their bikes were abandoned on the bike path on the SE corner of the lake bike path. That's a tight timeline.
I read elsewhere that there's a truck stop & bar near the Big & Tall alley, plus a strip mall & there's a grocery store nearby. All close to the home, in the direction the g/m last saw the girls. One theory could be that someone local who knows the area saw an opportunity, & grabbed them, setting their bikes on that path to be found as a diversion.
If the neighbor to the lake watering grass is taken as a reliable sighting, then the girls rode on the bike path & got lured off of it. It's not reasonable to think she dumped her purple purse, IMO, coz little girls love their purses & take them everywhere. jmho
Kay

Springfield, VA

#25 Jul 18, 2012
TALKMAN wrote:
I hate it when I hear a child goes missing. I hate it even more when I hear a mom letís an 8 and 10 year old take off on their own. The week prior to this, Lyric went to the park with another cousin and was gone an ďextended period of timeĒ Mom goes to park and they are not there, calls 911 to report them missing, while the cousins show up at home before a seach begins. I wold call this an ďabduction waiting to happenĒ Does this mom believe a 10 and 8 year old should be allowed to roam on their own with no adults to see that they are kept safe.
I'd say that the mom & the dad both responded appropriately to both situations. The mom was at work when the g/m gave permission for the girls to go biking. Why blame the mom or dad at all ? Irrelevant. If anything, I'd be asking the mom what Lyric had to say about getting diverted from the park...did she meet someone there (who'd have been targeting her), who might've gone on to arrange a future meeting, & this is who the girls met up w/at that alley ? or the lake ?.... What's most troubling to me is the proximity of the truck stop, strip mall, & grocery store, to that alley...it's an opportunity to abduct waiting to happen. So many children have gone to stores or past malls, only to get abducted in broad daylight. There was one long haul trucker, Adam leroy Lane, who'd park at truck stops & seek out victims to kill before setting off again for another truck stop to do the same the next day. jmho
I dont know

Staffordsville, KY

#26 Jul 18, 2012
I believe the scene was staged as well. I dont know by whom, but with the bikes there and no shoes, so they didnt go swimming, no sign of a struggle, yet the purse was in bushes. If they were lured off she would have taken her purse with her. It must have been staged.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#27 Jul 18, 2012
NYgirl wrote:
<quoted text>I always thought I was too protective of my boys for not letting them roam around for a half hour let alone a few hours.I live in a pretty safe area but still would not let my 10 year old ride his bike off my street let alone around the neighborhood.I have often times felt bad for not giving them more freedom but then when I hear stories like this,I know why I do it.I make sure they have plenty to do around our house so they don't feel the need to roam.The only down side is I have just about every neighborhood kid at my house but at least I know they are safe.I seen on the news that the one father is crying that he is being treated like a suspect and he has drug problems,not good.I think the grandma said the one girls mother was sick and that is why the grandma would go to her house every day for a few hours to help her out.Forgive me if I am wrong but this family is just strange.I am sure everyone reacts to situations differently but not one tear from the smiling mom?I do not know of one mother or Dad who would not be a total basket case if they were in the same situation as this family.I mean even if she didn't have a tear wouldnt you think she would have red swollen eyes?
I would think she would have red swollen eyes, while she doesn't appear to. Makeup maybe! I can't imagine allowing these two young girls to ride bikes from 12:15 and not start looking for them till 2 pm. I can't relate to this parent or grandparent allowance at all. My fear would be ďabductionĒ the case in question. I understand why posters are upset, angry and have issues with these family statements that are being made to the public. I donít know what happened. The law enforcement doesnít know either. We posters can certainly turn our attention to the family also, because, that is what LE is doing till itís solved. The grandmother where the kids left to go biking has custody of Lyric. Lyricís dad has the meth problem and the charges against him. Separated from Misty, the mom who shows smiles and no anxiety at all. Dad assaulted mom sometime back says an aunt. I see a lot of issues in the family that have to be looked at. They may or may not have anything to do with ďabductionĒ they, at least should be willing to go the whole nine yards to help solve the case because the case is their children.

Location hidden

#28 Jul 18, 2012
I dont know wrote:
I believe the scene was staged as well. I dont know by whom, but with the bikes there and no shoes, so they didnt go swimming, no sign of a struggle, yet the purse was in bushes. If they were lured off she would have taken her purse with her. It must have been staged.
It could indeed have been staged. Iím looking at that senario as are many, including LE. Until itís solved, who knows what. Iím also trying to see this as an innocent family who has lost their (not looked after) children to abduction. If the family has nothing to do with this, surely they realize you canít let kids this young go roaming through a neighborhood alone.

Location hidden

#29 Jul 18, 2012
Kay wrote:
The person who seems reliable is the regular bikerider who had to 'swerve' to avoid the girls' bikes. If I were law enforcement, I'd use that as a marker on my timeline. This means that the girls left the home at 11:30am, rode to the Big & Tall alley, then by 12:30pm or so, their bikes were abandoned on the bike path on the SE corner of the lake bike path. That's a tight timeline.
I read elsewhere that there's a truck stop & bar near the Big & Tall alley, plus a strip mall & there's a grocery store nearby. All close to the home, in the direction the g/m last saw the girls. One theory could be that someone local who knows the area saw an opportunity, & grabbed them, setting their bikes on that path to be found as a diversion.
If the neighbor to the lake watering grass is taken as a reliable sighting, then the girls rode on the bike path & got lured off of it. It's not reasonable to think she dumped her purple purse, IMO, coz little girls love their purses & take them everywhere. jmho
If a local saw the opportunity to take them, Iím having trouble figuring out how he got them both. Lyric is 145 lbs. They both had just been taught by an aunt how to drop to the ground if someone tried to take them. Of course, Iíll allow for the girls not to remember that in a time of crisis, while one man could have a great deal of difficulty taking two who didnít want to go, plus the added chore of placing their bikes where they were found. It would also be a piece of cake for the abductor if the girls knew him. They would do and follow whatever he said therefore, he would be in the area for at least 30 minutes. He has to see them, talk to them, get them into his car wherever that might be parked, itís not on the nature trail.
Thats real

Calhoun, KY

#30 Jul 19, 2012
I have been watching this case as I watch alot of case's on Nancy Grace, & have seen case's before where one man or person, could snatch up on child when there was another child present & threaten to harm th child or kill the child if the other doesn't co operate, now with that being said, since the dogs lost thier scent at the end of the path from where thier bikes were, I just wonder if the police has ask anyone about a dirt bike in the area that day o motor cycle maybe, the irls could have layed thier bikes down to walk on the path & was followed by someoe on a bike,motor cycle or dirt bike or even a ATV, it may have been someone they knew or was famiular with, may have ask if they wanted to ride a four wheeler or motor cycle, which could be why thier was no struggle or any scent after they got on. its possible, I know if it was my little girls I would be out thier myself asking every single person in that town of 5000 ppl, I would knock on every door, I would hire a person with a scent dog & go door to door letting that dog sniff every single person or place to try to get answers. because ppl can never under estimate what children will do when not being watched, I have an yr old grandson & an 11 yr old grand daughter, they ride thier bikes only as far as I can see them always & I live in the country on a dead iend road, one way in and one way out, but I always ,always go outside & watch them ride, maybe I am oer protective, but if so then at least I can see where they are every minute, it seems it only takes a momentnow a days for kids to go missing, so everyone needs to keep thier kids in sight at all times, I pray for these little girls to be found un harmed, but I fear this most likely will not happen, it in Gods hands now
kentucky

Frankfort, KY

#31 Jul 19, 2012
i agree. those parents are not distraught. something is up with those parents.
Guy

Creston, IA

#32 Jul 19, 2012
A friend of mine who lives not very far from the grandmothers told me they would see those girls running around the streets all the time. They would ride or walk past their house any time of the day or night.
Guy

Creston, IA

#33 Jul 19, 2012
A friend of mine who lives not to far from the grandmother said the parents and grandmother are lying about the girls not leaving the property. My friend and his wife would see those girls at all hours of the day and night running the streets or riding their bikes around the neighborhood. Looks like there was very little supervision.
<My bet would be they are somewhere else with some older boys and are afraid to come foward.
At least lets hope something like that would be possible.
whatever

United States

#34 Jul 19, 2012
I agree with you Talkman and "vote Obama" however I am NOT VOTING FOR OBAMA...anyway, they have been saying they were abducted from the start. I find that strange. They have insisted those girls are not in that lake, how do they know? They are pointing out areas that would be a trap, worst spot for them, the cell phone that had no minutes..I agree, something is amiss. Their actions and their words are screaming to me...I don't think they were abducted by strangers..well, maybe hired by the parents or family...I don't know...
whatever

United States

#35 Jul 19, 2012
I believe the draining of the lake is just to keep everyone busy and relaxed while they go after the devil that caused this. Maybe he is innocent? Maybe they just talk to much, but I don't think so...I think we are all going to be shocked at how all this plays out.

"Dan Morrissey stormed out of an interview with authorities Tuesday after officials accused him of killing the girls, Wylma Cook said Wednesday. She said the family has "teamed together" and does not believe Morrissey was involved in the girls' disappearance."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/201...

Location hidden

#36 Jul 19, 2012
Guy wrote:
A friend of mine who lives not to far from the grandmother said the parents and grandmother are lying about the girls not leaving the property. My friend and his wife would see those girls at all hours of the day and night running the streets or riding their bikes around the neighborhood. Looks like there was very little supervision.
<My bet would be they are somewhere else with some older boys and are afraid to come foward.
At least lets hope something like that would be possible.
That sure is interesting news along with Mistyís admission of the daughter being gone to the park too long the week prior. Being with some older boys somewhere is a good theory. At least they may be alive. If this theory could be true and they come forward, letís hope the g/m and mom get a few lessons in parenting.

Location hidden

#37 Jul 19, 2012
whatever wrote:
I believe the draining of the lake is just to keep everyone busy and relaxed while they go after the devil that caused this. Maybe he is innocent? Maybe they just talk to much, but I don't think so...I think we are all going to be shocked at how all this plays out.
"Dan Morrissey stormed out of an interview with authorities Tuesday after officials accused him of killing the girls, Wylma Cook said Wednesday. She said the family has "teamed together" and does not believe Morrissey was involved in the girls' disappearance."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/201...
It cost a lot of money to drain a lake. They will then know the girls are not there. With Dan M storming out of an LE interview, I think he is getting nervous, canít control himself, scared he might say the wrong thing. His daughter is missing and yes, he might not be guilty, while he can give indications that he is might be by his actions. His meth use is also a factor here. He now knows the nation knows all his dirty laundry and itís embarrassing to him and probably all the family. Like Neelie the poster saidÖÖ. The Step Dad says he feels like LE is treating him like a suspect....
well he does have a criminal background.
what does he expect!
Cowboy up be a man and stop being a cry baby!

Location hidden

#38 Jul 19, 2012
whatever wrote:
I agree with you Talkman and "vote Obama" however I am NOT VOTING FOR OBAMA...anyway, they have been saying they were abducted from the start. I find that strange. They have insisted those girls are not in that lake, how do they know? They are pointing out areas that would be a trap, worst spot for them, the cell phone that had no minutes..I agree, something is amiss. Their actions and their words are screaming to me...I don't think they were abducted by strangers..well, maybe hired by the parents or family...I don't know...
Iím curious about that cell phone. Misty said she sent a text to let Lyric know they would go swimming that afternoon while, Lyric only had a phone to play games on not talk. Maybe she sent text to g/m phone. This family knows they are going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb by LE and the public. When children go missing, finding them should be the only focus by all, while that means whatever comes out, take it and keep going till the girls are found. Dan storming out on LE is a big red flag that there are limits to what he will endure to find his child. He will not be accused and he is letting them know that with no more questions. LE only wanted him to confirm that he didnít have anything to do with it and keep going. He is weak.
Guilty

United States

#39 Jul 19, 2012
I am pretty positive they will find them guilty...I think they know exactly what happened, and had it planned out. Too many statements made by them that a normal parent would not make if under the same circumstances...
jrw

Glen Burnie, MD

#40 Jul 19, 2012
[QUOTE who="<3"]Why isn't the mother crying at all? Extremely odd![/QUOTE]I noticed that yesterday myself and even said to my husband , I don't want to jump to judge ,but that mom, dad act a little too calm. Now , I guess we know why...seems as tho the siste rmore or less raised the 10 old as the mother was in and out of jail, druggin and the dad too. BUT, I'm only going by the news though. So sad, I just pray they find these little girls safe,alive.
jrw

Glen Burnie, MD

#41 Jul 19, 2012
I noticed that yesterday myself and even said to my husband , I don't want to jump to judge ,but that mom, dad act a little too calm. Now , I guess we know why...seems as tho the siste rmore or less raised the 10 old as the mother was in and out of jail, druggin and the dad too. BUT, I'm only going by the news though. So sad, I just pray they find these little girls safe,alive.

Location hidden

#42 Jul 19, 2012
I hear today that Misty and Dan will no longer talk to media or LE. What a shame! I was doing my own analysis of their speech and actions. What I've seen and heard thus far as been overwhelming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim Daman dead at 43 (Aug '13) Sep 9 nikul 14
sexchatan pic exchange Aug 29 Anonymous 1
Review: Sassy's Blings N Things LLC (Feb '13) Aug '14 synn 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Waterloo, IA (May '12) Aug '14 Linda Miller 2
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 63
The Irish flag as it looked on top of the Black... Aug '14 Oh Yes 1
lou and michelles Jul '14 client 1
•••
•••
•••

Hudson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Hudson People Search