Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance

Jul 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KWQC-TV Davenport

An Evansdale resident told The Des Moines Register Tuesday morning that he saw Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey ride their bikes past his house Friday afternoon.

Comments
1 - 20 of 475 Comments Last updated May 27, 2014
First Prev
of 24
Next Last
jojo

Davenport, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

I agree....she was almost smiling and seemed to enjoy the attention. weird. I know I would be emotionally distraught and unable to carry on a conversation so matter of factly.
agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

The mother that was not crying reminded me of the mother, Susan Smith, that drover her two boys into the lake. She blinked her eyes the same with that delay and flutter of the eyelid. Body language says a lot...They sure are making a lot of accusations about what they think did not happen or what did, for instance: they don't think the girls in the lake. Well how do they know? They think the gated area where the bikes were found is a "trap" where someone got them. They just taught one of the girls how to fight off an abductor. okay..that is strange..especially since there is no sign of an abduction, or struggle...Another said the girls would never go to the lake nor would they swim in it....something is missing to this story...something is not right.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

I wonder the same thing about the mom I've been seeing talk to the press. No emotion shown that I see. leaving it all up to God. I hope a background is followed up on family to see that all has been well within. You just never know.
agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

And I was reading in the news where the mother of one had said she always told her daughter not to go to far, they were too young to go far. Ok, a man saw them 1.5 miles from the house near the lake..said he is "use to seeing them ride by" and they would be missed. Strange again because 1.5 miles is a bit far for two little girls to go riding every day. I agree with you Talkman, the videos of the mother shows her smiling, not sad at all, and not looking directly into the camera either..her eyes wander. I do hope they are digging further. I don't see how someone can abduct two fiestly little girls at the same time, that were taught to fight off an abductor. You would think one might get away, or there would be vehicle tracks..the only way those two walked away on their own would be if they knew their abductor..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

agree wrote:
The mother that was not crying reminded me of the mother, Susan Smith, that drover her two boys into the lake. She blinked her eyes the same with that delay and flutter of the eyelid. Body language says a lot...They sure are making a lot of accusations about what they think did not happen or what did, for instance: they don't think the girls in the lake. Well how do they know? They think the gated area where the bikes were found is a "trap" where someone got them. They just taught one of the girls how to fight off an abductor. okay..that is strange..especially since there is no sign of an abduction, or struggle...Another said the girls would never go to the lake nor would they swim in it....something is missing to this story...something is not right.
Good points. I just started looking at this case and I see the same things as you do. The mom is so focused on abduction, but then, if this is not family related, that's the only place left to go. I believe if the girls had in mind to run away, they would not have left the bikes and purse. I can't see them smart enough yet, to stage an abduction. The community does look like an area where one could get away snatching a child and never be seen. He/she would have problems with two being snached. Not so, if the girls know who is snatching them. Not knowing where the girls live in relation to the street the witness saw them around noon, it seem like a long bike ride to the lake where bikes are found, for girls so young.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

I caught that about not riding to far. Another point to consider is, did the girs ride those bikes all the way to the point where the bikes are found, followed by the abductor. This is questionable to me, because the abductor has to physically get the girls to where he can gain control of them not getting away from him. The map of the area shows he would have a difficult time till he got to his car with them. Two girls being snachted by someone they do not know, I hope, would struggle to get away or try, maybe, to get the younger one to run. I know it does not always work that way. Children can be scared easily by adults they do not know.
agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

In this article, they are trying to convince us that the abduction happened "right there" ... does anyone have background on these parents? They are using "God" as their reason for not being upset. I am a religious person with strong faith, but if my daughter was missing, I would be a fanatical mess. They are too calm and talking too much...perhaps the police are on to them but not letting the public know about their investigation. Of course, why would they drain a lake? They already drug the lake and got nothing. I am going to search the names of the parents and see if I can come up with ansomething about them.

Cook-Morrissey and her husband, Dan Morrissey, said they are confident the girls are not in the lake because Lyric knew how to swim and they would have taken their shoes off to get in the water.

“The area the bikes were found is fenced on both sides,” Dan Morrissey said.“It was right where the maintenance gate was, so that is a spot to me that looks like a trap, you know, for an abduction to happen; for someone to just come along right there and follow them down or whatever.

“It would probably be the worst spot for them to be, that little area right there,” he said.

Cook-Morrissey said she gave her daughter a hug before leaving for work Friday morning. She said Lyric was supposed to text her from her grandmother’s phone so they could go swimming in the afternoon.
http://dmjuice.desmoinesregister.com/article/...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

If one of the children has been taught recently to "fight off an abductor" I would find that in question. If they had not gone missing, I can't question. Both girls should have been taught this at 5 or 6 years old, while you continue the reminders throughout life. If, the 10 year old has been taught this recently, I consider it suspect, at least a clue maybe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

They ride those bikes right into the hands of the abductor. That's what I am seeing the parent say. While we can see that the "abductor" has to follow them on foot thru that area I saw on TV. Or, the "abductor" is waiting for them at the end of the lake on the trail.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

Someone did a search and found this information. Dan Morrissey has a lengthly criminal history and Misty Morrissey has criminal history involving drugs and a parole case.

Aunt Heather was Lyric's temporary guardian in 2003 for few years. Why? Obvious parental issues.

Hope for a safe return for both girls.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

Found an interesting blog on Nancy Grace that someone posted.-The Mom said a guy said he saw the girls on the East side of the lake at about 2 something. And they found the bikes on the South side. The Mom said she wasnt sure if he was being truthful. The video was on Jane Valeze.- Why would mom even think if the guy is truthful or not unless, she knows something the guy does not know, that's why!
Agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

Yes, now you are seeing what I am seeing, discrepancies and it is as if the parent is trying to lure the media and police. I believe the dog stopped at the waters edge. But, they dragged the lake and got nothing. Why? because there is nothing there. The parents know they are not there and that is why they are adament that those girls are not in the lake, did not drown. Plus, no evidence of shoes or clothing in the lake. So when the drain the rest of this lake, what can be found? Ok, now..they were seen or at least these people think they saw those girls. Far from their norm? The one man said it was normal to see them. So they have made that ride before. If the mother was paying child support (I beleive I read that in a previous article) then she did not have custody. Hmmm
NY girl

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

The first thing I said to my husband after seeing this on tv was wow that mother is acting strange.If one of my children were missing I would be a wreck!Not even sure if I could hold it together enough to do a interview.Maybe they gave her a xanax or valium to calm her nerves but still the woman seemed to be smiling at times.I also found it odd that on Nacy Grace the man said he saw the girls on their bikes around 12:00 to 3:00?I can see being off a half hour maybe even 1 hour but 3 is odd.Has the one father taken the polygraph test yet?If not why,they said all of the other family members did but him.All of this is very odd,and no one seen two girls on bikes with anyone?Never been in that town so I do not know how populated it is but you would think someone would have seen.They said a boy at the lake was there fishing and never saw them.I just pray for their safe return.I hate to say that about the mother that was on tv but it was very odd.
curiosity

Cave City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

I agree with the wide gap in time of the man seeing them between 12 and 3 , it seems as if he would be able to give a better time scale I mean did he spend 3 hours watering his lawn? Also, I wonder if anyone else on that street or the streets between their house and this witness' house might have also seen something I mean maybe the police should go back through the neighborhood and confirm that anyone that lived on those streets were not home or could not have been able to see something as I am sure he was not the only person to be outside also wondering if there are any business in the area that have surveyllance video that could be viewed to see if the girls actually rode in that direction any outside video might be helpful ya know
Agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

I said the same to my husband!! Today I watched another video with the mother and father, and one with the grandmother...they are all too happy. And why is it the other mother of the other little girl is not going public? She is not saying a word...Those girls are not in that lake and I think the police know it. What they are doing is keeping everyone focused on that lake while they go after the real issue. Whatever that issue is, abduction by family, pedophile or other. They know something they are not releasing to John Q Public. And that is okay, they can't tell us everything they have or it could spoil their investigation. I think that mother knows something..I am not convinced otherwise at this point. God forgive me if I am wrong but I have seen it time and time again through body language. We have heard of many mothers kill their children over the years and I can name them; Susan Smith, Darlie Routier, Andrea Yates, Diane Downs...list goes on
Neelie

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

Well GMother saw her at 12 15
the guy at the lake saw Their Bikes at 12 20
the guy watering his lawn saw them between noon and 3.....
Where are these little girls?
Neelie

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

The Step Dad says he feels like LE is treating him like a suspect....
well he does have a criminal background.
what does he expect!
Cowboy up be a man and stop being a cry baby!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

I hate it when I hear a child goes missing. I hate it even more when I hear a mom let’s an 8 and 10 year old take off on their own. The week prior to this, Lyric went to the park with another cousin and was gone an “extended period of time” Mom goes to park and they are not there, calls 911 to report them missing, while the cousins show up at home before a seach begins. I wold call this an “abduction waiting to happen” Does this mom believe a 10 and 8 year old should be allowed to roam on their own with no adults to see that they are kept safe.
NYgirl

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

TALKMAN wrote:
I hate it when I hear a child goes missing. I hate it even more when I hear a mom let’s an 8 and 10 year old take off on their own. The week prior to this, Lyric went to the park with another cousin and was gone an “extended period of time” Mom goes to park and they are not there, calls 911 to report them missing, while the cousins show up at home before a seach begins. I wold call this an “abduction waiting to happen” Does this mom believe a 10 and 8 year old should be allowed to roam on their own with no adults to see that they are kept safe.
I always thought I was too protective of my boys for not letting them roam around for a half hour let alone a few hours.I live in a pretty safe area but still would not let my 10 year old ride his bike off my street let alone around the neighborhood.I have often times felt bad for not giving them more freedom but then when I hear stories like this,I know why I do it.I make sure they have plenty to do around our house so they don't feel the need to roam.The only down side is I have just about every neighborhood kid at my house but at least I know they are safe.I seen on the news that the one father is crying that he is being treated like a suspect and he has drug problems,not good.I think the grandma said the one girls mother was sick and that is why the grandma would go to her house every day for a few hours to help her out.Forgive me if I am wrong but this family is just strange.I am sure everyone reacts to situations differently but not one tear from the smiling mom?I do not know of one mother or Dad who would not be a total basket case if they were in the same situation as this family.I mean even if she didn't have a tear wouldnt you think she would have red swollen eyes?
Kay

Springfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

agree wrote:
And I was reading in the news where the mother of one had said she always told her daughter not to go to far, they were too young to go far. Ok, a man saw them 1.5 miles from the house near the lake..said he is "use to seeing them ride by" and they would be missed. Strange again because 1.5 miles is a bit far for two little girls to go riding every day.
He doesn't sound like a reliable witness. Also, the mother & g/m don't seem abnormal to me in any way; they've been "cleared" by law enforcement. To me, there's a lot of hateful ppl being "judgey" not just here but on all blogs. A total distraction from finding the girls, IMO.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 24
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hudson Discussions

Search the Hudson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Sassy's Blings N Things LLC (Feb '13) Aug 15 synn 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Waterloo, IA (May '12) Aug 15 Linda Miller 2
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 11 Go Blue Forever 63
Tim Daman dead at 43 (Aug '13) Aug 7 zishan 13
The Irish flag as it looked on top of the Black... Aug 2 Oh Yes 1
lou and michelles Jul '14 client 1
Michele Bachmann Considers Suing Obama Over Can... (Dec '13) Jun '14 straw grasping te... 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hudson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hudson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••