Champlain Bridge no longer standing

The Lake Champlain Bridge linking New York and Vermont crashed into the lake Monday, as controlled explosions brought down the unsafe 80-year-old span that was the first of its kind used for highway traffic and a design that was duplicated on numerousother bridges. Full Story

“Make your word impeccable.”

Since: Jul 09

East Bumble

#1 Dec 29, 2009
Watch the video at wcax.com
MoriahCenterPers on

Lake George, NY

#2 Dec 29, 2009
It was sad to see it go :/
keith

Victor, NY

#3 Dec 30, 2009
Ha Ha,Now they will have to take a ferry to get accross!
your neighbor

Lake George, NY

#4 Dec 31, 2009
keith wrote:
Ha Ha,Now they will have to take a ferry to get accross!
Well ha ha . they will have to take the ferry. and you know what.. That ferry is free.. Guesses who's tax dollars are footing the bill for that. So.. if your still laughing. I suspect ..that probably you.. collect welfare.. Hope you don't need to get to a hospital on the other side of the lake.. As I have a gut feeling ..the ferry that is suppose to go in won't be running till the debri is cleared.. and the one in Ti .. is trying their best.. but they can't keep the lake from freezing..
In one way.. or another ..the loss of the Bridge.. will have an effect on each and every one of us.. I know it does our family.. The roads to the Essex Ferry are not the best... and it only runs every hour on the hour after 9:00.. So if you miss it . you have to wait and hour in the middle of buttkiss. With nothing open .. for miles..
gump

Lewiston, ME

#5 Dec 31, 2009
your neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ha ha . they will have to take the ferry. and you know what.. That ferry is free.. Guesses who's tax dollars are footing the bill for that. So.. if your still laughing. I suspect ..that probably you.. collect welfare.. Hope you don't need to get to a hospital on the other side of the lake.. As I have a gut feeling ..the ferry that is suppose to go in won't be running till the debri is cleared.. and the one in Ti .. is trying their best.. but they can't keep the lake from freezing..
In one way.. or another ..the loss of the Bridge.. will have an effect on each and every one of us.. I know it does our family.. The roads to the Essex Ferry are not the best... and it only runs every hour on the hour after 9:00.. So if you miss it . you have to wait and hour in the middle of buttkiss. With nothing open .. for miles..
Its either as you say or take a 200 mile round trip . thats 4 hours a day . In a strom it will take longer. have fun
your neighbor

Lake George, NY

#6 Dec 31, 2009
Been there..done that.. and yes it does take longer in a storm. yet many from both sides do it ..The trip home when my husband leaves from work.. and went through Whitehall took 3 hours.. With the Essex Ferry. it's cut down to 2.. But it still gets him home 12 hours or more after he leaves in the morning.. Just less driving.
keith

Victor, NY

#7 Dec 31, 2009
Dont Worry it will be a toll bridge when all is said and done,And it will be that forever.
Old Crafter

West Dover, VT

#8 Jan 1, 2010
They should post a sign at the road's end.

"CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE.
And this time we mean it!"
wonder

Lake George, NY

#9 Jan 1, 2010
keith wrote:
Dont Worry it will be a toll bridge when all is said and done,And it will be that forever.
That is probably true.. We paid the toll for years. or bought tickets.. The good news is.. you will be able to cross for work. and hospital appointments. and emergencys .. we will pay taxes and tolls until we stop breathing.
keith

Victor, NY

#10 Jan 1, 2010
wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is probably true.. We paid the toll for years. or bought tickets.. The good news is.. you will be able to cross for work. and hospital appointments. and emergencys .. we will pay taxes and tolls until we stop breathing.
You have to wonder what the state did with the money when charging tolls on that bridge,Wasnt it supposed go for another bridge being built.They just raised tolls on the thruway,Saying its going to improve the roads what a Joke!
inside dealing

AOL

#11 Jan 1, 2010
haven't you ever heard of coruption.
your neighbor

Lake George, NY

#12 Jan 1, 2010
keith wrote:
<quoted text> You have to wonder what the state did with the money when charging tolls on that bridge,Wasnt it supposed go for another bridge being built.They just raised tolls on the thruway,Saying its going to improve the roads what a Joke!
Inside Dealing has it right....
The US spends money like there's no tomorrow.. As does each state . city and village and town.. Taxes are raised and a few we have ta fix such and such.. and that the end of it. The improvements are scaled down to cheap bandaids .. and were suspose to reach deap and throw some more money into the coffers..
while they roll a bit of frosting on the roads and it looks good until winter ice and salt crumbles it like cookies.>> All the money wasted on quick fixes..
IF they had got the Government to put in a temporary bridge.. In stead of footing the bill for the ferries.. OR gave a pass for those people that live on one side and work on the other.. so that the state wasn't footing the bill for joy riders and people from other states other then Vermont and NY.. it might have eliminated a lot of accumulating debt.. as it is.. the Ferrys are undoubtly transporting a whole lot of folks that just want a free ride... Sorry. this carte blanche doesn't work.. But... it is the way the Government works.. They waste the tax dollars like a kid with a new roll of toilet paper... We have a whole lot of high paid Bureaucrats.. and very few with enough common sense to pound sand in a rat hole.
former resident

Bossier City, LA

#13 Jan 1, 2010
I hope when the new bridge is built that it is not neglected like the Champlain Bridge was!
your neighbor

Lake George, NY

#14 Jan 1, 2010
It is equally important to both states and funds should go into a account for it's maintance... I still think that the concrete that was used in the bridge pillers was not salt friendly.. and that sand should have been used. They might take that into consideration. as the salt is also not steel friendly.. Time will tell..
What happens is like anything.. over time .. it accumulates wear and tear.. and the powers that be .. are interested in some new project and the maintenance becomes minimal. if any.. Paint over the problem..( another bandaid ) Paint does not repair .. it covers up..
Old Crafter

West Dover, VT

#15 Jan 2, 2010
ALL money MUST go into the general funds. No matter if it's the Federal Government, State Government, or local government. No money can be dedicated to one project until it's allocated by the lawmakers. Bridge maintenence money is allocated each year, but lawmakers never allocate enough. The Tappan Zee Bridge is in danger of collapsing. I won't drive on it. But no money can be put into a special fund just for bridge maintenance down the road. Sorry. And tolls also go into the General Fund. That money is not dedicated to anything either. Too many people actually believe the politicians' lies when they say the money is dedicated to a certain project.

Oh, just heard on WGY that the Ticonderoga Ferry has been shut down because of a lack of insurance.
bridge for sale

AOL

#16 Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone really believe that a bridge that has been fucntioning for 80 some years all of a sudden deteriotes within 4 years and has to be shut down. What a lame excuse for poor maintainence If you believe that i have a bridge id like to sell you.
for the record

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jan 2, 2010
what kind of a moron would laugh about this issue?
bridge for sale

AOL

#18 Jan 2, 2010
i dont know, maybe an oxymoron
your neighbor

Lake George, NY

#19 Jan 2, 2010
bridge for sale wrote:
Does anyone really believe that a bridge that has been fucntioning for 80 some years all of a sudden deteriotes within 4 years and has to be shut down. What a lame excuse for poor maintainence If you believe that i have a bridge id like to sell you.
nope don't suspect any thinking person would. We live in a throw away society.. That evolved over the years... And we all know what that did to us.. problem is .. going back to where folks took care of what they had and didn't enmass a whole lot of things they could have well done without.. probably won't happen in our life time.. At least not in mine.. habits .. are hard to break.. it's a me world out there. The voices are talking but the multitudes are still to be convinced that hugh changes have to be made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hudson Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Humbugg's Dec 16 Marie 1
Four more men accuse priest of sexual abuse (Jan '08) Dec 15 Curious 1,358
Review: Countryside Veterinary Hosp - James Kel... (Aug '09) Dec 15 rest in peace 4
Review: Jaeger & Flynn Associates Inc Dec 10 KAT K 1
Glens Falls Drivers Nov '14 commuter 1
Tasha the saboxin queen mills Brian mills and L... (May '14) Nov '14 Johnny Bots 2
Man arrested for being fugitive following relea... Nov '14 Sur 13 Beat 1
Hudson Falls Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hudson Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hudson Falls News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hudson Falls

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:50 am PST