Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,555

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Vote For Success

Piqua, OH

#24893 May 27, 2013
The PBS TV channel airs "kudos" to the OEA for their support of over 130,000 Ohio public school teachers, fighting against local school district taxpayers in efforts to gain more power and control over our kid's classroom education and our school tax dollars. To the OEA, it's all about the money! And that's what Badd Babb for Boro and her unionized band of followers are all about! November 2011 Lisa and her band of badd roamed through our neighborhood spreading false accusation and lies against Our Children First!

The time has come to Rally behind our Springboro Parents like Kelly Kohls and Wendy Kull who will continue standing strong in their financial responsibility to Our Children First!

Why would any parent want to reverse our children first budgeting success to the Badd Babb days of union first control of our Springboro Board of Education representatives?

For our children's future, Springboro parents like Kelly Kohls and Wendy Kull must step up once again into the "union ring of fire" and get out there with us and campaign successfully to remain serving our school children and community as our Springboro School Board Representatives!

Thank You! Thank You!
Vote For Success

Piqua, OH

#24894 May 27, 2013
Don't be deceived by Lisa Babb and the Springboro Housewives and their continuing red ribbon Victim Project drama of badgering for more money for our school union employees. Check online the school website and see for yourself how generously our teachers are paid in wages and benefits, with safe and comfortable working conditions!

Remember that Lisa Babb is one of the Springboro parents who fought against Springboro parent Kelly Kohls, arguing that the board should vote to increase the classroom teachers generous benfits, instead of spending our tax dollars providing safe and comfortable bus transportation for our children!
The past 5 year forecast did not include repairs needed to our buildings. Windows, heating and air systems and roofs and many more items creating a safe and comfortable environment for our kids. Now, we have budgeted $2.5 million for a capitol investment plan as recommended to us by an audit firm and our own administrative assessments. This capitol plan will be able to replace, roofs, windows, paint, flooring and other infrastructures as needed. Again, this was not done in previous forecasts.
We have a vastly aging fleet of buses that have not been getting replaced on a schedule so many no longer run and others that fail loaded with kids.
Now we have budgeted for transportation needs of our kids so we can safely transport them. We have purchased 11 new buses this year and will purchase 9 more over the next few years for a total of 20 new buses. We have allocated $2 million for our transportation needs. Again, this was not planned before this board.
Our Children First Budgeting IS Working!
Our Schools Are Successful! The time has come for all good citizens to work in support of keeping Springboro parents Kelly Kohls and Wendy Kull, working in the best interest of our children first, as our board representatives
elected in November, 2013.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24895 May 27, 2013
Boro Alumni wrote:
Race To Nowhere says: Because Common Core requires standardized tests, schools face the burden of buying additional computers and updating textbooks to comply with this regulation.
Why would Springboro need to update their textbooks or want to have standardized education? Why would Springboro students need to learn what the other 45 states are learning? All we need to know is in the Bible and creationism. Springboro needs to come out of the bubble and realize there is an entire world around us.
Reading Topix postings for awhile, I can see a definite slant. Check out what the rest of the nation is saying about our school and current BOE. This is the nation that our kids are going to be living and working in. They need to be up to date and able to compete in STEM careers. Could a major dislike of the Common Core be that the science component is based on the evidence in science that includes and supports evolution, not creationism, which has no scientific validity?
Topix posters, step out of the Springboro Bubble and check out other view points that may differ from yours: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/24/spri...
2000 children in this district are not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding, your response, divert attention from the fact.

Those 2000 children who are failing our program of studies deserve better than the back of your hand.

And if you bothered to look at a science book from today and one from 1963 you would see some changes vs what was accepted truth in 1963 and what passes for the latest and greatest we know today. The conceit to think that we are the absolute epitome of human development worries me for the future of these children.
Constitution Week

Piqua, OH

#24896 May 27, 2013
Celebrating the Constitution

To commemorate the September 17,1787 signing of the Constitution of the United States, Congress has designated September 17th of each year as Constitution Day and September 17-23 of each year as Constitution Week.

In 2004, Public Law 108-447, Section 111 was passed requiring the following:

Each educational institution that receives Federal funds for a fiscal year shall hold an educational program on the United States Constitution on September 17 of such year for the students served by the educationoal institution.

"...each Federal agency or department shall provide educational and training materials concerning the United States Constitution to each employee ...on September 17 of each year."

In keeping with these congressional mandates, recent presidents have solicited help from federal and local government leaders as well as civic and religious leaders to hold events to commemorate the occasion.

We encourage all citizens to use their influence to organize and support programs that honor the Constitution. Resources for holding such a celebration may be found at nccs.net .

"If, to please the people, we offer what we ourselves disapprove, how can we afterwards defend our work? Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair. The event is in the hand of God." - George Washington
to Constitutional Convention delegates
Just Obvious

Cincinnati, OH

#24897 May 27, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 children in this district are not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding, your response, divert attention from the fact.
Those 2000 children who are failing our program of studies deserve better than the back of your hand.
And if you bothered to look at a science book from today and one from 1963 you would see some changes vs what was accepted truth in 1963 and what passes for the latest and greatest we know today. The conceit to think that we are the absolute epitome of human development worries me for the future of these children.
I am trying to connect the 2000 students in this district not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding and the debate of teaching creationism. Is the board saying by teaching creationism then the students will be receiving the education we are funding?
LOL and OMG

Piqua, OH

#24898 May 27, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you expect to make any sense when you're spewing contradictory rhetoric from multiple anonymous accounts? The School Bard is recommending hundreds of thousands of dollars to be spent on new computers and textbooks-- READ THAT AGAIN: The BOARD is RECOMMENDING that we buy all these new textbooks and computers. So what are you really fighting for with all your anonymous personalities? That the BOARD spend all this money to bankrupt our school system to make way for the private investors who are funding your smear campaign?
Christopher Ritter, how silly you sound!

READ MY LIPS: No New Taxes for increased wages and beneifts for
union employees; no more open springboro wallets for use by our local government agencies wanting to "help themselves" to more of our money. Enough is Enough and the time has come for local government to live within its means. READ THAT AGAIN.
Delusional JO

Indianapolis, IN

#24899 May 27, 2013
Just Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am trying to connect the 2000 students in this district not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding and the debate of teaching creationism. Is the board saying by teaching creationism then the students will be receiving the education we are funding?
Which class in the course of study is this being taught?

Answer NONE

This is like another way to avoid speaking about all the kids flunking, 2000 is a bunch.
God Bless America

Piqua, OH

#24900 May 27, 2013
Over 2000 years ago, Jesus gave us a map for our lives. He gave us Christian principles that are written in the New Testament. Through our families and churches, we learn to follow these principles to live good lives and give glory to God.

In the United States, we have the Constitution and Bill of Rights to protect our freedom, but some people in government are trying to change our basic concepts of faith, family, and freedom.

The president and some lawmakers want the government to be in control of everything. They think they know what is best for us. God gave us free will and the ability to use our consciences to determine what is right and wrong. He gave us natural law to follow to help us live healthy lives. He gave us commandments to help us live in harmony with other people.

Some people in government do not respect God’s greatest creation –human life. God crate us in His image and likeness. He gave us dignity as His sons and daughters. He alone decides when we live and when we die.

However, some men and women think it is their right to decide who lives and dies. They want to kill some babies before they are born. This is called abortion. They want to kill some disable or older people whom they consider not valuable to our society. This is called euthanasia.

Now our churches are in danger because some leaders in our government want to take away our religious freedom. Religious freedom means we follow our consciences in the way we live our lives. For example, if we believe that abortion is wrong, we do not pay for abortions through taxes. If pharmacists believe that abortion is wrong, they do not fill prescriptions that cause abortions.

The current government wants to take away our ability to continue some of our churches’ good works. In an order called the health and human services mandate, the government decided that the only sort of religious activity it will protect is private worship. Worship is only part of our faith. As Christians we have always been called to serve others. When we love our neighbor as ourselves, we take care of all people who need help –not just those who belong to our churches. Freedom and human rights come from God, not the Government. God Bless You and God Bless America!
no god

Girard, OH

#24901 May 27, 2013
God Bless America wrote:
Over 2000 years ago, Jesus gave us a map for our lives. He gave us Christian principles that are written in the New Testament. Through our families and churches, we learn to follow these principles to live good lives and give glory to God.
In the United States, we have the Constitution and Bill of Rights to protect our freedom, but some people in government are trying to change our basic concepts of faith, family, and freedom.
The president and some lawmakers want the government to be in control of everything. They think they know what is best for us. God gave us free will and the ability to use our consciences to determine what is right and wrong. He gave us natural law to follow to help us live healthy lives. He gave us commandments to help us live in harmony with other people.
Some people in government do not respect God’s greatest creation –human life. God crate us in His image and likeness. He gave us dignity as His sons and daughters. He alone decides when we live and when we die.
However, some men and women think it is their right to decide who lives and dies. They want to kill some babies before they are born. This is called abortion. They want to kill some disable or older people whom they consider not valuable to our society. This is called euthanasia.
Now our churches are in danger because some leaders in our government want to take away our religious freedom. Religious freedom means we follow our consciences in the way we live our lives. For example, if we believe that abortion is wrong, we do not pay for abortions through taxes. If pharmacists believe that abortion is wrong, they do not fill prescriptions that cause abortions.
The current government wants to take away our ability to continue some of our churches’ good works. In an order called the health and human services mandate, the government decided that the only sort of religious activity it will protect is private worship. Worship is only part of our faith. As Christians we have always been called to serve others. When we love our neighbor as ourselves, we take care of all people who need help –not just those who belong to our churches. Freedom and human rights come from God, not the Government. God Bless You and God Bless America!
I am a non-believer. I don't force this down the throats of others. I find it somewhat ironic that you feel that because you go to church you have the right to dictate what I should believe. You don't love your neighbor....only if your neighbor shares your exact views. Just because I don't believe in god does not mean I do not help others. I volunteer my time and I am generous in my monetary donations.

God provides nothing for me. I love my country. I have faithfully served this country to protect the freedoms we ALL enjoy.

I have a question for you dedicated Christian. The church believes in tithing right? Isn't this like a tax? Do you question how much your church staff gets paid and what benefits you are paying for. Do you ask for transparency programs at your church so you know how much comes in and what the expenses are? What do you think about the priests who sexually abused children in the name of God? And the church and your God that forgave such disguisting behavior by allowing these abused to continue to worship in your scared churches?

But you cant forgive or forget a teacher for belonging to a union....amazing!
Just Obvious

Cincinnati, OH

#24902 May 27, 2013
Delusional JO wrote:
<quoted text>
Which class in the course of study is this being taught?
Answer NONE
This is like another way to avoid speaking about all the kids flunking, 2000 is a bunch.
2000 is a bunch. There are many posts that clearly point out how the school system is failing 2000 kids. The board of education is hellbent on changing the status quo. The board clearly discussed bringing creationism into the schools. I am waiting for someone to show me how teaching creationism moves the needle to improve those scores.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24903 May 28, 2013
Just Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 is a bunch. There are many posts that clearly point out how the school system is failing 2000 kids. The board of education is hellbent on changing the status quo. The board clearly discussed bringing creationism into the schools. I am waiting for someone to show me how teaching creationism moves the needle to improve those scores.
False issue and obvious attempt to change the issue from 2000 children not getting the education we are funding. Let me know which class in the curriculum you are talking about and we can have a serious discussion from that point.

Still 2000 kids not getting the education we are funding in this district, what does the opposition do, resort to fake arguments about made up issues.

The Occupy people could not care less about your children, nor more about themselves.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24904 May 28, 2013
These are your 6th grade test results for 2010 - 2011

2010 - 2011
6th Grade State Defined Achievement Classifications

Limited.... 14 Students
Limited.... 23% Average Score
Limited Definition.....0-14 correct answers (scored 0-28%)

Basic..... 13 Students
Basic..... 35% Average Score
Basic Definition.....15-19 correct answers (scored 30-38%)

Proficient.... 83 Students
Proficient.... 50% Average
Proficient Definition.....20-28 correct answers (40- 56%)

Accelerated..... 76 Students
Accelerated..... 62% Average Score
Accelerated Definition.....29-33 correct answers (58%- 66%)

Advanced 181 Students
Advanced.... 79% Average Score
Advanced Definition.....34-50 correct answers (68%- 100%)

Using the scale Mr. Malone had used for years at the high school to grade PSEO college credits

F..... Below 62.99%..... 156 Students.....43% receiving F
D..... 63 to 74.99%..... 97 Students.....26% receiving D
C..... 75 to 84.99%..... 76 Students.....21% receiving C
B..... 85 to 92.99%..... 32 Students.....9% receiving B
A..... 93 and above..... 6 Students.....2% receiving A
Total 6th Grade......... 367 Students

Now tell me again how these results are outstanding. The only real passing scores are in the top state defined rank of Advanced and the average score in that category was 79%. Mr. Lewis stated his goal was to get more kids into the PROFICIENT rankings last year during his board presentation and the crowd went wild with approval. Increasing performance is certainly the goal, but shooting for 40% on a math achievement test does not seem as though it will benefit a child much more than scoring 36% on the test. Both scores will leave a child far behind the class.

Celebrating such "achievement" is a frightening specter of the present and the future states of education.

Euphemisms are no substitute for actual achievement.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24905 May 28, 2013
So figuring our Performance Indicator for the Intermediate School by the state

Limited (0%- 28% on test)........ 14 students x .03 =.42
Basic (30%- 38% on test)......... 13 students x .06 = 7.8
Proficient (40%- 56% on test)..... 83 students x 1.0 = 83
Accelerated (58%- 66% on test).. 76 students x 1.1 = 83.6
Advanced (68%- 100% on test)..... 181 students x 1.2 = 217.2
Grand Total ..........392/367 students = 1.06 Performance Index

According to the state we are doing excellent with distinction.

The reality is quite different.

THE PERFORMANCE INDEX

The Performance Index (PI) is one of the multiple measures used to determine school building and district Report Card designations. Based on the PI buildings and districts may be placed in a Report Card designation at a level higher than they would have been placed based only on the numbers of indicators met. The building/district designation will always be the higher category whether determined by the PI or number of indicators.

Local Report Card (LRC) Designations
PI scores at the following levels will place the building or district in the designations shown:

PI Score Report Card Designation
0-69 Academic Emergency
70-79 Academic Watch
80-89 Continuous Improvement
90-99 Effective
100-120 Excellent

PI and Growth Calculation
The Growth Calculation is another of the multiple measures used to determine school building and district Report Card designations. Until individual student growth in reading and math from grade to grade can be measured utilizing the new achievement tests the PI will be used as a temporary measure of growth. Growth in the PI may enable buildings/districts to move up a category even though the district/building did not meet the required number of LRC indicators or PI score. Districts/buildings can move from Emergency to Watch or from Watch to Improvement if:
1.) the PI score improved in each of the last two years and
2.) the total two-year gain was at least 10 points and
3.) a gain of at least 3 points took place in the current year.
A history of the PI scores can be found in the LRC.

Calculation of the Performance Index
The PI is calculated by using a weighted average of individual student performance levels on the proficiency and achievement tests at grades where multiple score levels are reported. As achievement tests are implemented the scores will be included in the PI calculation beginning with the first year’s administration of the new test.

The assigned weighted scores are as follows:

Performance Level Weight
Untested Student 0
Below Basic 0.3
Basic 0.6
Proficient 1.0
Accelerated 1.1
Advanced 1.2

Each weighted score is multiplied by the percentage of student scores at that level. Students will be included in the calculations based on the enrollment rules (present during the October count and 120 consecutive school days of enrollment, including the March testing period), where students count rules, and the 1% limitation on counting alternately assessed students as proficient. The total count of all student scores includes up to five tests per student.

This indicator is worthless as evidence in regards to whether or not children are getting the education the taxpayers are funding.

Using the 6th grade in 2009 - 2010 as an example the Perfomance Indicator rigs the game by pretending that children who score between 40%-56% and are rated PROFICIENT are rewarded with a 1 on the weighting scale, or smack dab in the middle of their scale.

Those who scored between 58%- 66% and are rated as ACCELERATED by the state are rewarded with bonus points and rewarded with a 1.1 weighting.

Those who scored between 68%- 100%(in traditional terms, A-D passing grades) received the highest weighting of 1.2
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#24906 May 28, 2013
I know this doesn't fit your false narrative!
Let's hear it for our Seniors!
Springboro High School had about 365 graduates, 140 received scholarships
-The scholarship total was over $5.2 million --up almost $1 million from last year
-About 57 students achieve a 30 or higher on the ACT, this puts them in the top 5% of all seniors in the nation
-A senior received an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point
-Another student was accepted to the Mass. Institute of Technology (MIT)
-One student was admitted to Univ. of Pennsylvania--an Ivy League school
-2 National Merit finalists on the PSAT--there are less than 15,000 each year nationally, out of over 1.6 million students who take the PSAT
-At least 4 students received full athletic scholarships to Division 1 schools
What Say Ye

Piqua, OH

#24907 May 28, 2013
no god wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a non-believer. I don't force this down the throats of others. I find it somewhat ironic that you feel that because you go to church you have the right to dictate what I should believe. You don't love your neighbor....only if your neighbor shares your exact views. Just because I don't believe in god does not mean I do not help others. I volunteer my time and I am generous in my monetary donations.
God provides nothing for me. I love my country. I have faithfully served this country to protect the freedoms we ALL enjoy.
I have a question for you dedicated Christian. The church believes in tithing right? Isn't this like a tax? Do you question how much your church staff gets paid and what benefits you are paying for. Do you ask for transparency programs at your church so you know how much comes in and what the expenses are? What do you think about the priests who sexually abused children in the name of God? And the church and your God that forgave such disguisting behavior by allowing these abused to continue to worship in your scared churches?
What do you think about those in our Military service (living off taxpayer's dollars) who sexually abuse our Female Soldiers?
Should our Female Soldiers wearing the same proud uniform as our Male Soldiers accept that rape is a "work place hazard" in our United States Military Service?
Should those Male soldiers who rape their fellow Female soldiers in the workplace be "FIRED?"
Did you see recently in the news that our commander in chief delivered the commencement address at West Point grauduation; lecturing this fine class of graduates that sexual assault has to stop?
Don't you think it is the responsibility of our K-12 educators in public schools across this nation to stop their argument that "God has no place in this country" And start engaging with parents and students in argument that "disrespect for human dignity has no place in this country?"
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24908 May 28, 2013
no god wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a reason most churches put forward their contributions from the previous week in their bulletin each week, both as a reminder to do the right thing and to let the people who make the contributions know where the church sits each week.

Transparency is a good thing in all publicly run organizations, it gives people comfort in having an idea of what is going on with their money they so generously provide.

Most priests who sexually abused children were not doing so in the name of the Lord, but for more atavistic personal reasons is my supposition. They also tended in overwhelming numbers to be homosexual pedophiles, they did not however, outnumber all of those good and righteous priests who populate our parishes.

God forgives the sinners and their sins, but the 99.9999% of Catholics who put butts in those pews do not. It perturbs us to no end that monies expended by the church in this scandal came from our collective pockets and did not go to the benefit of those intended.

Now what does any of that have to do with 2000 of our children not receiving the education the taxpayers have funded?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24909 May 28, 2013
Lurker wrote:
-The scholarship total was over $5.2 million --up almost $1 million from last year
-About 57 students achieve a 30 or higher on the ACT, this puts them in the top 5% of all seniors in the nation
-2 National Merit finalists on the PSAT--there are less than 15,000 each year nationally, out of over 1.6 million students who take the PSAT
Define your scholarship money please, is that per year they will receive $5.2 million dollars or over a four year period?

I was always under the impression from the catcalls at our board meetings that over 40% of our student population was gifted? Given that fact shouldn't we have quite a few more children receiving 30 and above on the ACT?

Congratulations to those 3 students accepted at prestigious universities. Again, should we not have more than that given our gifted numbers?

Are the four students receiving full rides for athletics included in the $5.2 million dollars of scholarship money?

If so, what is the total without their athletic contribution?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24910 May 28, 2013
2000 plus children not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding, the data demonstrates the point, the parents wonder about the childrens' futures, and the public wants to know what the union is going to do to ameliorate these abysmal numbers.

If 40% of our children in this community are truly gifted, then I question the parsimonious results we attain by graduation.
SpringBoro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24911 May 28, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Hooray for Us - It's time to celebrate our success!
Congratulations to each of our Springboro High School Graduates!
This is the time to think on all good things we enjoy living and working in Springboro school district!
This is the time to express our thanks and gratitude to our Students for their hard work and great accomplishments; and
This is the time to express our thanks and gratitude to our
Springboro Schools Admininstrative and Teaching Staff And Each one of our School Union Employees! Thank You!
This is the time to say Thank You to SpringBoro Taxpayers and our Springboro Board of Education representatives, who give generously of our time and money to ensure that our children in Springboro receive a quality classroom education, while living within our children first budgeting!
This is a the time to say Congratulations and Thank You to our Springboro School Board of Education representatives for Saying YES to Our Children First!
Thank You Dr. Kohls, Mr. Rigano, Mr. Petroni, Mr. Miller, and Mrs. Kull!
Phil

Erie, PA

#24912 May 28, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
2000 plus children not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding, the data demonstrates the point, the parents wonder about the childrens' futures, and the public wants to know what the union is going to do to ameliorate these abysmal numbers.
Considering what is spent per pupil compared to the rest of the state, Springboro students are getting one hell of an education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huber Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Kwanzaa! 7 hr The Hack Checker 1
Jerkwad Jabbar-shooting details emerge: 8 hr Net Nut 7
Bad experience at Miami Valley Hospital 8 hr talker43 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr Bently 19,568
Merry Christmas 17 hr Merry Christmas 1
Photos Wed Net Nut 1
Police: Teen shot dead by shopper wanted shoes Wed Net Nut 4
Huber Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Huber Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Huber Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Huber Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:46 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:46PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
NFL 7:11 AM
Mike Pettine: Browns won't write off Manziel, Gilbert
Bleacher Report10:17 AM
Complete Week 17 Preview for Baltimore